2018 S90 T5 audio upgrade
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2018 S90 T5 audio upgrade

Hi everyone so I'm posting this and will provide step by step (with pics) on what I am doing. The plan here is to replace all the door speakers, add a 4channel amplifier for the rear doors and if for the life of me I can remove the rear deck (parcel) amplify and change those speakers to. For some reason that I can't figure out if I balance my sound to the rear speakers the music is almost non existent. where the front doors and center channel is crisp and loud, the rear has almost nothing coming out. I've been able to remove the door panels so that will be easy. If anyone can help in instructing me how to get the rear deck out that would be amazing.
      All items ordered and let's keep this upgrade under $300!

1) 4 channel pioneer 600w amplifier
      2) 4 JBL 3.5 mid-range 2 way speakers
      3) 4 JBL 6.5 2 way component speakers

So this week the parts will come. I will take pictures and step by step instructions on 1 front and 1 rear door panel speaker install, along with the amp install.

Please help if you can on that rear parcel shelf. If I can get that removed it will really help in a smooth process

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

#following
      2018 S90 T5 AWD Momentum

Hi, i m interested.

I m waiting

Thanks for all

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I am interested for my new V90CC.
      Personally, am thinking of upgrading front speakers to Morel Virtus 603 which should fit. My question is if the factory HP amp has built in crossover or is the output full range? This especially for the rear. If it’s full range, I would install the components in the rear door. If it’s not full range, only woofers in the rear doors and mid and tweet in rear ceiling.
      Haven’t pulled the trigger yet, waiting for lower pricing.
      2018 V90CC T5 with P*, Saville Gray/Charcoal
      2015.5 XC60 T5 Drive-E Platinum, Twilight Bronze/Hazel Brown

Ok boys and girls, so I did the passenger front door. And I must say without the amplifier connected just using the factory amp it sounds amazing! Bass is deep, mid range is awesome and tweeters are very crisp and sharp. So my question is how the heck do I post pics here? The front panels are very easy to do. There is room to even put the crossover in there. I did realize something today driving. There are 3 plugs for the front speakers. 1 for the woofer 1 for the mid and 1 for the tweeter. So the turn signal sound when switching left or right is I think wired to the mid-range speaker. I'll check it today.
      I retained the factory plug for the woofer. Used that plug to go to the crossover then from the crossover to the woofer and tweeter. I also ran a separate wire from the factory woofer plug to the mid-range speaker. So basically I didn't use the tweeter plug and also the mid-range plug. I'll have to change that around. Never the less the pictures will explain all of this
      Last edited by Dkeshish; 11-28-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Pranner by the way my t5 had crossovers built into the front speakers in the mounting plate, the rear on my car ONLY has a woofer. No mid and frankly the mid range hole is plugged but easy to remove and no tweeter. Like u said they may be on the rear deck but I have no clue how to remove the rear deck to check. My thought process when I did this is why not do components on all the doors and add a mid-range to the rear doors. Hence the reason I went that route. If I could figure out a way to remove the rear deck I'll be able to do a great deal more but I've tried and tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranner View Post
      I am interested for my new V90CC.
      Personally, am thinking of upgrading front speakers to Morel Virtus 603 which should fit. My question is if the factory HP amp has built in crossover or is the output full range? This especially for the rear. If it’s full range, I would install the components in the rear door. If it’s not full range, only woofers in the rear doors and mid and tweet in rear ceiling.
      Haven’t pulled the trigger yet, waiting for lower pricing.

Hello Dkeshish,
      So what I'm getting from all this is that the main issue here with the mediocre sound is the stock speakers that are being used. It appears that the system sounds considerably better with just that little modification that you've already made, great! I'm just trying to get a full clear sound with just a little more bass than what I'm presently getting. I mostly listen to classic and contemporary jazz and light rock on occasion. But I like to hear details in the upper mid range and highs. I don't necessarily need a subwoofer to rattle my ears, just more bass presence. I have the same issue as you; balance the sound towards the rear and you get almost nothing. All the sound seems to come from out the front. I see that you posted the size speakers. Could you post where you purchased them from or the stock numbers for them, and which speakers go where? I have a 2018 S90 T5 Momentum and may consider trying to update the sound system as well. Not sure how to post photos here. It seems like you have to have a gallery somewhere else and link to the photos.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your transformation.
      2018 S90 T5 Momentum

Mr.B. I will be doing the back door probably today and will let you know the overall sound experience when that's done. The biggest lack I think is in the rear doors.

List of items I bought

2 pairs JBL club 3020 3.5 inch 2 way for $76
      2 pairs of JBL CS760C 6.5 INCH 2-WAY COMPONENTS for $90
      That takes care of the doors.
      1 Pioneer GM-A4704 4 channel amp for $77.69

Amp wiring kit for $25

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
      Hello Dkeshish,
      So what I'm getting from all this is that the main issue here with the mediocre sound is the stock speakers that are being used. It appears that the system sounds considerably better with just that little modification that you've already made, great! I'm just trying to get a full clear sound with just a little more bass than what I'm presently getting. I mostly listen to classic and contemporary jazz and light rock on occasion. But I like to hear details in the upper mid range and highs. I don't necessarily need a subwoofer to rattle my ears, just more bass presence. I have the same issue as you; balance the sound towards the rear and you get almost nothing. All the sound seems to come from out the front. I see that you posted the size speakers. Could you post where you purchased them from or the stock numbers for them, and which speakers go where? I have a 2018 S90 T5 Momentum and may consider trying to update the sound system as well. Not sure how to post photos here. It seems like you have to have a gallery somewhere else and link to the photos.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your transformation.

Hi, pictures?

Thanks

Ok this is kind of difficult doing this on a phone so let's try it and I'll try and clean it up once I see how it posts.
      Stock 165mm woofer out of the door
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/dJ2dzXaJqF4RwGM7A
      Rear of speaker
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/d17fbRMUgFhZhFf47

Mod for woofers. No getting around this you need to ruin the woofer....
      You will have to remove the ring on the top of the speaker with a flathead screwdriver
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/pJzgCBP2uHK5Spjp9
      Once done you need to cut the rear braces that are holding the magnet refer to above picture rear of speaker to see braces
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/kqJzrqQRUL71LDPz6
      After this you will see the 2 connector pins these can be cut to accept female wire connectors
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/LhXCE8JWdBMZdsVu9

Please note this retains your factory harness for the woofer.
      Rear of speaker
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/8gTZmsQMyLZz9fTr6
      Front of speaker
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/DkzMzb3AmqnpCKUs6

I'll draw out a diagram today on wiring and post that too.

Next is the mid-range speaker.
      Front door 80mm stock
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/mDbRJpttbamAj4AJ8
      Rear of speaker
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/LTXhTic9Typj95Q2A

So the good news on this is the mid-range can be removed and sold, given to a member here, or saved for later
      This will all depend on what type of speaker you buy and what the mounting bracket looks like. I got lucky as it's an exact match to the door.

Mid range mounted
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/hciWMK97gqBjiK4cA

You will not be using the factory harness for this or the tweeter.

Diagram of wiring

So hopefully I can explain this without messing it up

Factory harness will feed into the crossover (in) plug. From that cross over in plug you will need to run a wire to the 3.5 mid-range.
      From the cros over out plug you will obviously run a wire back to the woofer and one to the tweeter.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PQLAAkZmsXs99h1M8

This is a very messy picture but give you an idea. Obviously it's upside down and obviously you need to clean it all up. It was my first test fit, I have since changed the connectors and cleaned it up with zip ties, foam padding, etc etc

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L3SjjTnNZY1mKXps9
      Last edited by Dkeshish; 11-30-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Guys I made a bracket for the tweeters on the rear doors and will post a picture tomorrow. It's very simple and all you need is tin snips and some thing metal sheet. Also I must say I have a feeling the rear doors have very minimal amplification. The sound for the rear doors compared to the front doors is night and day difference. Obviously once the new amp is connected I'll have the same wattage going to each door. That's next. Sometime this week.

Thanks for all the details and pictures. Looking great! Can't wait to see the completed project.
      2018 S90 T5 AWD Momentum

Make sure the crossover is not on the "wet" side of the vapor barrier on the door. It looks ok in your photo.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements