Mild vibration when braking from highway speeds.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Mild vibration when braking from highway speeds.

New S60 T6 R design with less than 600 miles on it. When braking from highway speeds (50 plus mph) I notice a very mild vibration in the steering wheel and eventually (as the brake pedal builds pressure) via the brake pedal. Any thoughts? Does this sound like the wheels and tires should be balanced by the dealer? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design w/Polestar

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
      New S60 T6 R design with less than 600 miles on it. When braking from highway speeds (50 plus mph) I notice a very mild vibration in the steering wheel and eventually (as the brake pedal builds pressure) via the brake pedal. Any thoughts? Does this sound like the wheels and tires should be balanced by the dealer? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
      Anytime you have vibrations when braking (only) more than likely rotors but hard to believe with only 600 miles. Take it to dealer and let them look at it. Both our Volvo’s have had rotors replaced, under warranty, with low miles. Volvo cheaped out on rotors. I’m replacing brake pads next week, on my dime, with only 15,000 miles. Not impressed with this new technology on these SPA cars.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

"Warped" brake discs, the common cause of vibration when braking, are not actually warped rotors (see: https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedia...c-8-2018_1.pdf) TL;DR - Uneven deposits from brake pads cause the "warped rotor" condition.

As such, this seems a common complaint on the latest Volvos. In fact I have the same on my S60, with about 5k miles. It's mild though so I haven't brought it in. My guess is the brake pad that Volvo uses is the culprit. There are a lot of design factors: performance, noise, dusting, longevity etc. that are balanced when spec-ing the brake pads. It looks like the engineers may have chosen a pad that is a little too prone to causing this condition. Don't know that for sure but the pads are the likely culprit. Under wear parts warranty (is this 1 year with the Volvo? I don't know) I'd let them go ahead and do whatever they do to fix it, it's free. Outside of warranty I'd look an aftermarket brake pad that doesn't have this issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Wheel balancing you'd feel at highway speeds without braking. When the pulsing happens when braking it's the rotors -- deposits or warping. Deposits will go away with more braking; warping will not.

Had to take my S60 R design in for warped rotors at 9k. Could be caused also by improper torquing.

I had this on my T5, my dealer replaced the front rotors under warranty
      2019 S60 T5 R-Design Denim Blue

Did your dealer provide some data such as the runout on the rotor, proving that the cause was warped rotors?

My dealer just replaced my rotors on my T6 with just under 4k on it.

Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post

Thanks in advance.
      It's the rotors. My S60 is @3200 and it started doing this already. My previous XC60 had front rotors replaced twice in 10K miles. My new XC60 is already doing the same thing too.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      My guess is the brake pad that Volvo uses is the culprit.
      No, it's the OEM rotors. They're too soft for those brakes.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Have approx 2500 miles on 2020 xc90 inscription (21" wheels) and noted that the steering wheel vibrates upon braking. Read that the rotors are probably warped. Will have to take it in for change of rotors. Seems like a common volvo problem.

It’s likely your rotors. I had mine replaced twice under warranty on my XC90 due to premature wear. I found it was worse with my daily use of the ACC. Since the car can’t anticipate slowing traffic (see 2-3 cars ahead), there isn’t much coasting. It’s either on the gas or on the brake. As I was in stop and go traffic for 1.5 hrs a day I feel that had something to do with it.

Had my 2019 S60 T6 Inscription at the dealer for its first maintenance visit (10K miles) and I complained about this, too, as well as VERY loud brake squeak at low-speed. Picked up the car tonight and was told brakes were replaced under warranty due to a tech bulletin on this issue. I have to go back next week for Pirelli tire replacement (allegedly to fix the 72mph+ shudder issue) and door gasket/foam seal replacements when the parts get to Maryland from Sweden (why not South Carolina? — but that’s for another thread). So, when I’m there, I’ll ask for the tech bulletin reference for this brake thing.

Guys just don't waste your time. It's not the rotors that are making the vibration and shudder. Many SPA cars are experiencing the same vibration exactly. Very weird vibration shakes the whole car.

There were around 4-5 warranty claims under my S90 to try to resolve the issue and none of them did. They changed brakes, engine mounts, propller shaft, etc...

Don't tell me it's my car only... I noticed the same vibration on two other S90s.

Do your self a favor and try to test two or three cars like your car and see if they have it. You will be surprised.

S90 and S60 owners are more affected with this issue compared with XC90 and XC60.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

No it's definitely the brakes. "Warped" rotors are easy to recognize and diagnose. Vibrations that only happen under braking. A mechanic can confirm the diagnosis with a runout gauge. I am willing to wager that 100% of the people in this thread that have that specific issue, report it is resolved when the dealer replaces the rotors.

There are a number of vibration issues on these cars, the brakes, the PCNS tires, wheel balance and the as-yet-unidentified AWD drivetrain issue you are dealing with. Some are very typical like brakes and wheels, they seem more common than other makes but it's hard to tell just by message board threads from self-selecting owners.

No it's definitely the brakes. "Warped" rotors are easy to recognize and diagnose. Vibrations that only happen under braking. A mechanic can confirm the diagnosis with a runout gauge. I am willing to wager that 100% of the people in this thread that have that specific issue, report it is resolved when the dealer replaces the rotors.

There are a number of vibration issues on these cars, the brakes, the PCNS tires, wheel balance and the as-yet-unidentified AWD drivetrain issue you are dealing with. Some are very typical like brakes and wheels, they seem more common than other makes but it's hard to tell just by message board threads from self-selecting owners.
      Yeah let's see if changing the rotors will solve their vibration issue.

I just took my car from the dealer and that AWD/subframe vibration comes when braking as well. During braking, the transmission shifts down and moving the propller shaft front and back. I don't know where is the issue yet but I will analyze everything.

Surprisingly, I went to the grocery store and bought some water, probably, I had 200lb on the trunk. My AWD/Subframe vibration was much less. It seems that some weight in the rear suspension is correcting the propllershaft angle. I will investigate this further.

I got the warped rotors myself, I will be making and appt to address soon. I also have another vibration that is constant on the highway 70-75mph, it's not that severe, but will have them look at that as well. They'll probably start with a re-balance of the tires...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      Yeah let's see if changing the rotors will solve their vibration issue.

I just took my car from the dealer and that AWD/subframe vibration comes when braking as well. During braking, the transmission shifts down and moving the propller shaft front and back. I don't know where is the issue yet but I will analyze everything.

Surprisingly, I went to the grocery store and bought some water, probably, I had 200lb on the trunk. My AWD/Subframe vibration was much less. It seems that some weight in the rear suspension is correcting the propllershaft angle. I will investigate this further.

Guys... You will not believe it. I found two loose axle bolts (front) to be the main cause for my S90 AWD Vibration issue. I think the bolts were loose since my car was out from Volvo Factory. Long story short, the loose axle bolts have damaged one axle already. I discovered the another loose bolt when I was about to give up from the vibration issue. I will check with the dealer if the another axle was also damaged...

Get your dealer to check these bolts because techs are not instructed in any Technical Journal to check these bolts nor they do inspect them.

Hope this helps someone got frustrated from the vibration issue.

Nerd23, stop spamming, this thread is not about you, nor your car. This thread isn't even about your issue. This thread is about BRAKES which is a completely separate issue
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Nerd23, stop spamming, this thread is not about you, nor your car. This thread isn't even about your issue. This thread is about BRAKES which is a completely separate issue
      The title wasn't the tire issue. It was the vibration issue. It may help someone.. you never know!! Period sir.

BTW, the OP's car symptoms matches my car symptoms exactly. His car is only 500 miles... Don't tell me it's the loose foam thing in the tire. There's no way that foam can affect braking behavior strongly. On the other hand, a loose axle bolt can affect the braking behavior easily since the gearbox shifts down and the axles will play between the angle gear and the hub assembly.

They will loose nothing if they asked their dealer to check that... It will not cost them a penny, and they may find their issue.

Again it's not my car only. I checked two other S90 having the same vibration. However, i found to be worse when the car mileage was higher. The brand new S90 I test drove had less vibration. Probably, the bolt wasn't loose enough.

Let the reader decide what info they see here are valid, for their car situation. You have no idea what cost I had to pay to fix my car issue when the main issue was a matter of loose axle bolts that no tech was instructed to check. It was a factory assambly line tech mistake.

Last edited by Nerd23; 03-18-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Took the car in yesterday, got it back today. Dealer changed front rotors, stating the were warped. Service Manager said this is known issue with early 2019 builds, so process went smoothly. Now I have no vibration as highway speeds (Pirelli PNCS tire foam fix) and no braking pulsation (new front rotors). The S60 is back and ready to attack. Just wish I had someplace to go :-(

Any one out of warranty and would like to try the aftermarket rotors and share a review?

I searched online and I found a German company called Zimmermann for the rotors. The below kit comes with Akebono brake pads as well. Probably worth the try given that Volvo OEM rotors just keep failing every 10K miles.

Zimmermann seems to be a well known German Company that supply parts to Mercedes and BMW.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/...&d=15828&v=134

Also, they have the drilled better ventilated rotors but have to be ordered from europe. Or, maybe Fcpeuro will be able to special order the sport one.

Check Zimmermann webstie:

https://www.zimmermann-bremsentechni...-t6-awd-11632/

For me, I will try the Drilled one for my S90 on my next rotor change along with Akebono brake pads.

Nerd, you're in the S60/V60 thread, they came out in 2019, there's not likely any out of warranty yet on earth, you need to ask such a thing in the 90 series forum to maybe find any
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Nerd, you're in the S60/V60 thread, they came out in 2019, there's not likely any out of warranty yet on earth, you need to ask such a thing in the 90 series forum to maybe find any
      It doesn't matter... Volvo use the same brakes for S60/S90/XC90... All of them have the rotors warped issue.

You don't want to try, leave it for someone else....

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      For me, I will try the Drilled one for my S90 on my next rotor change along with Akebono brake pads.
      I know y'all still think the rotors "warp" themselves but you're welcome to educate yourself at any time. Old wive's tales die hard I guess.

Changing the pads at the same time will likely do the trick since it is probably Volvo's pad choice that causes the deposits that "warp" the rotors. I would change them out...but warranty. My hope would be to get them replaced shortly before warranty expiration, to have a fresh set to put aftermarket pads on. But will leave them for Volvo to deal with until then.

I know y'all still think the rotors "warp" themselves but you're welcome to educate yourself at any time. Old wive's tales die hard I guess.

Changing the pads at the same time will likely do the trick since it is probably Volvo's pad choice that causes the deposits that "warp" the rotors. I would change them out...but warranty. My hope would be to get them replaced shortly before warranty expiration, to have a fresh set to put aftermarket pads on. But will leave them for Volvo to deal with until then.
      You are absolutely correct. Probably OEM brake pads deposits are the main cause of the warping issue. I think also excessive heat can play a role as well given the frequent use of brakes by the ACC or PA.

For me, I'm still under warranty and will follow your path.

However, I think going aftermarket completely is a rational option to ensure a perfectly compatible rotors/pads combo.

Ceramic pads just don't like OEM rotors... I tried it once on my S80 and the try failed miserably (the brand was "Brakebest"...). However, Akebono have good brake pads my brother use them on his MB C-Class and they are great. Low dust and last long. However, his rotors are the AMG drilled ones...

Last edited by Nerd23; 03-29-2020 at 09:55 AM.

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements