Mild vibration when braking from highway speeds.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Mild vibration when braking from highway speeds.

New S60 T6 R design with less than 600 miles on it. When braking from highway speeds (50 plus mph) I notice a very mild vibration in the steering wheel and eventually (as the brake pedal builds pressure) via the brake pedal. Any thoughts? Does this sound like the wheels and tires should be balanced by the dealer? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design w/Polestar

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
      New S60 T6 R design with less than 600 miles on it. When braking from highway speeds (50 plus mph) I notice a very mild vibration in the steering wheel and eventually (as the brake pedal builds pressure) via the brake pedal. Any thoughts? Does this sound like the wheels and tires should be balanced by the dealer? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
      Anytime you have vibrations when braking (only) more than likely rotors but hard to believe with only 600 miles. Take it to dealer and let them look at it. Both our Volvo’s have had rotors replaced, under warranty, with low miles. Volvo cheaped out on rotors. I’m replacing brake pads next week, on my dime, with only 15,000 miles. Not impressed with this new technology on these SPA cars.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

"Warped" brake discs, the common cause of vibration when braking, are not actually warped rotors (see: https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedia...c-8-2018_1.pdf) TL;DR - Uneven deposits from brake pads cause the "warped rotor" condition.

As such, this seems a common complaint on the latest Volvos. In fact I have the same on my S60, with about 5k miles. It's mild though so I haven't brought it in. My guess is the brake pad that Volvo uses is the culprit. There are a lot of design factors: performance, noise, dusting, longevity etc. that are balanced when spec-ing the brake pads. It looks like the engineers may have chosen a pad that is a little too prone to causing this condition. Don't know that for sure but the pads are the likely culprit. Under wear parts warranty (is this 1 year with the Volvo? I don't know) I'd let them go ahead and do whatever they do to fix it, it's free. Outside of warranty I'd look an aftermarket brake pad that doesn't have this issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Wheel balancing you'd feel at highway speeds without braking. When the pulsing happens when braking it's the rotors -- deposits or warping. Deposits will go away with more braking; warping will not.

Had to take my S60 R design in for warped rotors at 9k. Could be caused also by improper torquing.

I had this on my T5, my dealer replaced the front rotors under warranty
      2019 S60 T5 R-Design Denim Blue

Did your dealer provide some data such as the runout on the rotor, proving that the cause was warped rotors?

My dealer just replaced my rotors on my T6 with just under 4k on it.

Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post

Thanks in advance.
      It's the rotors. My S60 is @3200 and it started doing this already. My previous XC60 had front rotors replaced twice in 10K miles. My new XC60 is already doing the same thing too.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      My guess is the brake pad that Volvo uses is the culprit.
      No, it's the OEM rotors. They're too soft for those brakes.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements