Is there anyone for whom Park Assist Pilot works beautifully?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there anyone for whom Park Assist Pilot works beautifully?

Every time I see it mentioned on the threads it seems that dozens of people pile on with how terrible it is? Maybe one or two mention that it works for them but they're sort of lost in the sea of negative comments. Now, maybe the negative comments are the real answer here but the fact that some people have good luck with it leads me to hope it's at least partly down to how/when it's used.

What I'm hoping for here is to hear from the people for whom it works the way they want. Maybe some background on how you typically use it as well. A lot of the parking here in town is parallel parking and I'm OK at it but I'd be quite happy to let the car pull it into the spot for me while I handle shifting/braking and (maybe) the accelerator?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I find it more useful with parallel parking than with perpendicular parking. With perpendicular parking, I find it’s much quicker just to do it your self.

I can get it to work 90% of the times I bother to try.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

i only use it for parallel and it works first time, every time.
      2018 T8 R-Design Polestar XC60 Bursting Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Nobody parallel parks where I live, but I tried using it for perpendicular parking a few times and gave up in frustration as it took longer than just doing it myself. :P

For me personally, this is a big sh...., this is just for those who don't know how to park a car
      Not just a Volvo in every car
      Last edited by BigBang; 11-24-2019 at 05:53 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

It would be useful for parallel parking but I find it quicker to just do it myself.
      My wife on the other had finds it a bit complicated and she just avoids parallel parking.
      You need to practice using the thing...

In two years I think I tried it 2-3 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      For me personally, this is a big sh...., this is just for those who don't know how to park a car
      Not just a Volvo in every car
      There may indeed be reasons for not using it, but this is by far the least compelling to me. I know how to parallel park, in fact I feel I'm reasonably good at it. That doesn't mean that I enjoy parallel parking, though. So why should I choose to keep on doing something manually that I dislike rather than automating part of the process? To keep in practice? Nah, I've gone long periods without having to do it before and it's easy enough to pick up again. Because it's somehow more 'noble' to do it manually? Not in my eyes - while I'm actually much faster than normal doing math without a calculator I still reach for it because there's nothing to be gained by avoiding the assistance.

Really, what I'm looking for is background from people who do use it successfully, not from the crowd that doesn't or that feels it's somehow wrong to automate the process. Then again, maybe there aren't many people for whom it works.

I have used Park Assist for both parallel and perpendicular parking. I have had better luck with the parallel parking. I have found that driving slow past the parking spots works best and as soon as the screen indicates a spot is found, to stop and then follow the screen directions. Perpendicular parking seems to be more hit and miss so I usually end up just using my own driving skills.
      2019 XC60 Momentum T6 AWD
      Crystal White with black interior & charcoal headliner
      Climate Pkg, Vision Pkg, Convenience Pkg

Used it a few times (parallel) when I first bought it, worked very well,but have not used it in months
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

I finally tried it. I live just outside NYC, parallel parking come up all the time. I thought it was great, I want to see how it’ll do in a really tight spot. I had an easy 3 feet or more to spare, so it would’ve been easy to manually park as well. And I agree, why not use it? I’ve parallel parked literally thousands of times, but why not take the help? I have to admit I see no point in using it for perpendicular, it takes longer to tap the screen to activate than to pull in/out of a spot.

Works 100% of the time. People like to complain too much.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Perhaps it is best to buy a car that can park a mobile phone

Last edited by BigBang; 11-25-2019 at 05:49 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

That's pretty sweet and I certainly wouldn't object to driverless self-parking - assuming the rest of the driverless technology was in place (don't hit people who are just walking around, for example.) But I'm not going to use it to decide what to buy. it's the other way around for me - I think I know what I want to buy, but do I want to add the parking assist since it's a separate add on?

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      That's pretty sweet and I certainly wouldn't object to driverless self-parking - assuming the rest of the driverless technology was in place (don't hit people who are just walking around, for example.) But I'm not going to use it to decide what to buy. it's the other way around for me - I think I know what I want to buy, but do I want to add the parking assist since it's a separate add on?
      Of course everyone has the right to choose what they want to buy
      This is just a snapshot of what's currently available, but it's also relatively expensive because it's something new in the world of cars

Technology is advancing, some cars are ahead of their time and it's impossible to hit pedestrians, and here's why
      12 ultrasonic sensors
      4 cameras
      5 radars
      and the first in the world with an in-car LIDAR radar

Last edited by BigBang; 11-25-2019 at 08:06 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Every time I see it mentioned on the threads it seems that dozens of people pile on with how terrible it is? Maybe one or two mention that it works for them but they're sort of lost in the sea of negative comments. Now, maybe the negative comments are the real answer here but the fact that some people have good luck with it leads me to hope it's at least partly down to how/when it's used.

What I'm hoping for here is to hear from the people for whom it works the way they want. Maybe some background on how you typically use it as well. A lot of the parking here in town is parallel parking and I'm OK at it but I'd be quite happy to let the car pull it into the spot for me while I handle shifting/braking and (maybe) the accelerator?

Thanks in advance.
      When I bought mine 2 years ago, I tried perpendicular parking to no avail. It manages to find a spot only 10% of the time. But, parallel parking is a different story. It's much better in finding the parallel parking spots and parking itself was not bad either. And I don't see much use in using parkassist for perpendicular parking anyway.

I optioned it on my 2020 V60 CC. It works ok I would say, but pretty useless in city parking (L.A). Reason (for those who care): it's mostly parallel parking here,; Park Assist frequently doesn't detect spaces that I myself would have no problem parking in; the process of crawling slowly by spaces for Park assist to detect and then using the system is sure to infuriate more than a few drivers behind you. Quicker to do it yourself in this case.

Probably one of the worst attempts at parallel parking on YouToob...the driver is someone who could clearly benefit from a bit of Park Assist!

https://youtu.be/tf4TIWECZ30

I wonder where they got this idea...

Note: This was a video of Volvo's in 2013... which means they were working on it much longer back than that.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

I use it when I'm showing off the tech to friends.

But I've been accustomed to driving and parking things most people wouldn't. 20 years ago I was parallel and perpendicular parking 200 big rigs in an area designed for 150 and keeping them about 6-12" apart.

The tech is nice but I don't use it that often.

My salesperson showed it to me in their parking lot and it was pretty nice to see.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

I use it only to show off to my friends, It was not finding the spot 50% of the times and sometimes the sensors get messed up and parking is not perfect. I also heard that starting 2020 model its not standard in Advance Package.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post

Note: This was a video of Volvo's in 2013... which means they were working on it much longer back than that.
      Do you know the difference between testing and what's in use? Which Volvo model has this system in use today ????

Audi and others have been using it for 2 years and more

Last edited by BigBang; 11-27-2019 at 01:17 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

It is a nice steering assistant, not anywhere close to an auto pilot. Even the stop go feature has to be triggered after a few seconds, which I think is is utterly rediculous. It is way less aggressive than Tesla's auto pilot is which is probably safer but requires way more interaction. Personally I think we are at least a decade away from reliable auto pilots, and realistically 20 years away from relatively safe auto pilots across the board.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      It is a nice steering assistant, not anywhere close to an auto pilot. Even the stop go feature has to be triggered after a few seconds, which I think is is utterly rediculous. It is way less aggressive than Tesla's auto pilot is which is probably safer but requires way more interaction. Personally I think we are at least a decade away from reliable auto pilots, and realistically 20 years away from relatively safe auto pilots across the board.
      I actually think that’s optimistic.

When autopilot can navigate a construction zone properly without hitting cones which have imaginary implied “lines” we might can see a real breakthrough but this won’t happen for a decade or three.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

I actually think that’s optimistic.

When autopilot can navigate a construction zone properly without hitting cones which have imaginary implied “lines” we might can see a real breakthrough but this won’t happen for a decade or three.
      Odd, to me (as a software developer), that seems like a much simpler problem than many of the others that face automation - at least as long as there are enough cones (or other obstructions) to generate a recognizable segmented barrier. Not that I'm disputing your overall point, at least as long as we don't hit upon something that learn to anticipate situations that that it has never been exposed to and recognize those patterns as they occur - sort of like 'You know, if a dog were to take out the front wheel of that bicycle it would land in my lane so I should be planning an escape route just in case and if I don't have one maybe I should adjust things so that I do.'

I dont have it, but by the time you select it....I'm already parked
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Yeah, they had that same demonstration in Newport when the Volvo Ocean Race was there in 2015.

You can ignore BigBang. Most people on here have. He's an Audi salesman or something, just here to trash talk the brand.

But all modern SPA Volvos with park assist, have what they'd need to self-park as they do in your video. It's just not deemed safe enough for prime time. Even the other makes that offer this only do so under very specific circumstances and locations. Tesla is the exception....and you can see plenty of videos online of that not working out so well.

Odd, to me (as a software developer), that seems like a much simpler problem than many of the others that face automation - at least as long as there are enough cones (or other obstructions) to generate a recognizable segmented barrier. Not that I'm disputing your overall point, at least as long as we don't hit upon something that learn to anticipate situations that that it has never been exposed to and recognize those patterns as they occur - sort of like 'You know, if a dog were to take out the front wheel of that bicycle it would land in my lane so I should be planning an escape route just in case and if I don't have one maybe I should adjust things so that I do.'
      With most driving conditions, there are pretty normal and/or rigid parameters for designing things.

With construction, every construction zone is ... not like any other construction zone. They are the epitome of chaos. Cones on both sides of a lane, as an example. Where if you didn't have specific identifiers when you entered that lane, you might not figure it out. Even humans have issues reading and processing this kind of chaos at times.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Yeah, they had that same demonstration in Newport when the Volvo Ocean Race was there in 2015.

You can ignore BigBang. Most people on here have. He's an Audi salesman or something, just here to trash talk the brand.

But all modern SPA Volvos with park assist, have what they'd need to self-park as they do in your video. It's just not deemed safe enough for prime time. Even the other makes that offer this only do so under very specific circumstances and locations. Tesla is the exception....and you can see plenty of videos online of that not working out so well.
      Yeah, I don't normally bother with BigMouth ™. Today I caved and had to show him something from the past. It isn't even the one I was looking for but had similar tech.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

It definitely will work but I’ve found the rear view camera lines to be so good that I never need it.

Park Assist Pilot, 2019 XC60

Thanks in advance.
      It’s always worked for me, but the car is my wife’s, and she’s afraid of it, so it doesn’t get used much.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanSafari View Post
      I optioned it on my 2020 V60 CC. It works ok I would say, but pretty useless in city parking (L.A). Reason (for those who care): it's mostly parallel parking here,; Park Assist frequently doesn't detect spaces that I myself would have no problem parking in; the process of crawling slowly by spaces for Park assist to detect and then using the system is sure to infuriate more than a few drivers behind you. Quicker to do it yourself in this case.
      I live in SoCal and even though I am an excellent parallel Parker (I learned to parallel park before I learned how to drive on the road, having grown up in Europe) Park Pilot Assist does not fail me when I want to use it. I slow down for the car to find the space, the tighter the space the better job it does. Once it finds a space I immediately turn on my hazard lights (in the same way I do when I parallel park manually); if someone gets mad, behind me, that’s tough for them they need to pay attention to the cars ahead of them, they can always pass me.

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post

Yes I am a salesman at Audi. How you guessed it, you have some superhuman powers

I want you and the like to experience this, with family members in the car
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ced-perfomance

And from the opposite direction, a 35 ton truck is coming to you, I hope you enjoy it
      Last edited by BigBang; 11-28-2019 at 04:21 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Yes I am a salesman at Audi. How you guessed it, you have some superhuman powers

I want you and the like to experience this, with family members in the car
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ced-perfomance

And from the opposite direction, a 35 ton truck is coming to you, I hope you enjoy it
      Womp womp.

You may be an Audi salesman but you definitely weren’t ardent about Audi or you’d have stuck around.

What, pray tell, made you choose a Volvo over your paycheck?

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

PPA worked flawlessly parallel parking in the heavy rain the other day. I was super glad to be able to take my time and really look around while the car did all the work.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

I need to ask a question about perp parking. New owner of an S90, I tried it once for perp parking, it found a spot just fine, it started backing up to the spot and it was approaching the spot and the car in the next slot very quickly. I panicked and hit the brakes to cancel it. Is that just what it does? Would it have stopped before it backed into the front of the other car? I've already replaced the rear bumper once cuz someone hit me, I'd rather not do $1800 again, but I really want to see it park (I kinda suck at it). It just really worried me the way it was approaching.

Womp womp.

You may be an Audi salesman but you definitely weren’t ardent about Audi or you’d have stuck around.

What, pray tell, made you choose a Volvo over your paycheck?
      Had he been in an Audi, he'd be dead. And his family members too.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast