T8 dependency on VoC+Network once a schedule is set
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

T8 dependency on VoC+Network once a schedule is set

Trying to get a handle on the dependency between the VoC App and Vehicle once a charging schedule is set from VoC:

e.g. If I were to set a scheduled location of my garage & a time for my T8 to begin charging via the VoC app, then (theoretically) keep my iPhone off for days, would the T8 that is turned-off in my garage still begin charging every day at the appointed time? Will it also begin charging if there is no Bluetooth or WiFi connection from the T8 out to the network?
      IOW, once the schedule is set via VoC, is the car now executing independently to get the job done, even if there is an app, iPhone or connectivity failure? (I’m hoping so, but suspect that may not be the case or I would think Volvo would have also created an in-car setting to do the same thing — like my former Tesla had, so I could manage charging inside the car or via app, and the two always stayed in-sync because the car maintained control.)

If I’ve made my more general question too confusing, let’s say it another way: I’m more specifically trying to reduce possible points-of-failure to ensure my T8 charging always begins when I expect it to.

• PREFERRED: T8 alone (once the schedule is set via VoC) regardless if my iPhone or network is available, letting my ChargePoint provide power 7x24
      • 2nd CHOICE: T8+ChargePoint that turns power on/off with it’s built-in timer each day to my T8
      • LAST CHOICE: VoC+Network+T8, with my ChargePoint providing power 7x24. This option sounds fine, but not if my iPhone, VoC App or Volvo’s Server, or the Network isn’t available at 12 midnight when I want charging to begin every day.

THX.

...and I’m getting more excited. If I’ve got the ship right, my XC60 arrives in Southampton in the next few hours, then starts across the Atlantic on Wednesday.
      Last edited by BertL; 11-24-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling; format
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is no scheduled charging via VOC for US based T8's

Quote Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
      There is no scheduled charging via VOC for US based T8's
      . Thx though for the clarification.

So much for me trying to read and learn from the 2020 XC60 T8 US Owner’s Manual before the car arrives — it’s just a bit off on p536.
      Bert

Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      . Thx though for the clarification.

So much for me trying to read and learn from the 2020 XC60 T8 US Owner’s Manual before the car arrives — it’s just a bit off on p536.
      Bert, don't give up yet. Hope springs eternal. That functionality "could be" coming to the US market based on the owner's manual even though there has been a history of including functionality in the OM that is limited to certain markets.

It would help if our friends in other markets would share whether they have the timed charging functionality, if not now in their MY20, then maybe with mid-year builds (e.g., week 48 or so 2019). As I recall, the timed charging functionality has been "reported" sporadically in other markets with Android devices. Not sure about iOS iPhone devices.

I see that the MY20 Owner's Manual for both the XC90 and XC60 T8s (e.g., TP 29249 (English - USA & Canada), AT 1917, MY20, Copyright © 2000-2019 Volvo Car Corporation) indicate the following (to which you alluded):

Planning and scheduling vehicle charging with the Volvo On Call app
      With the Volvo On Call app, you can plan and schedule charging for your vehicle.

You can schedule charging for the charging locations that you have saved in your app, which can be practical of you want to e.g. plan a charging stop along a travel route or plan charging intervals for your vehicle at home or in your neighborhood.
      1. From the home tab, select Fuel range or
      Battery charge.
      > In the view that appears, you can see your saved charging locations under Saved locations. If you haven't saved any charging locations yet or you want to add new locations, e.g. stations along a route or in your neighborhood, you can choose Add location (you can save up to eight charging locations).

2. Choose the location you want to schedule a charging at.
      > A view for the saved location will open.

3. Select a start time for the charging.

4. Select an end time for the charging.

5. Go back to the view for fuel.
      > A charging icon will appear next to the saved location you scheduled charging at. When the icon disappears, the scheduled charging is saved and input.
      In my quick sampling of other US-spec'd T8s for prior models (SPA MY16-MY19), the above language has not appeared. Try contacting Volvo Customer Care and see what they can share or discover. Personally, I think it is promising for those who want it.

Otherwise, I would use whatever functionality your EVSE offers, such as a connected Chargepoint or the Juice Pro 40. My Juice Pro 40 is not dependent on VOC or the iPhone as it is programmed directly into the EVSE portal by the user.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 11-24-2019 at 06:53 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Thx. Have added this to my list of things to explore once my 2020 arrives hopefully in the next 5 weeks or so — to you point, one never knows as firmware continues to evolve, so with my not-2-week old T8 that’s on it’s way, it may surprise us all. Crossing my fingers for a BIG Christmas present plus or minus a couple days, or at least right after New Years if it’s on the next ship... I’ll report my findings back here.

Happy (early) Thanksgiving.
      Bert

IMO, you're over-thinking this. The 2020 T8 (10 - 11 kWh) uses a nominal amount of electricity to charge from "empty" (~70% of the available capacity).

11.6 kWh battery * 92% = 10.7 kWh (available capacity)
      10.7 kWh * 70% = 7.5 kWh (EV-only capacity)

7.5 kWh * (1 + (1 - 0.8)) * $0.13 = $1.17 (full charge from empty at 80% efficiency)

If you charge an "empty" battery everyday at home, that's only $35 month.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

@lamarguy, I appreciate the POV.

Agree it may not be so much the dollars, but for me its trying to make best use of what I already have, and what my new T8 is capable of.

In my case, I’m coming from a 90kWh Tesla where I did have to charge and religiously plugged in every time I parked for the past 4 years — just letting the car deal with topping itself off or not during the TOU hours each day when I have lowest rates winter and summer. It was one less thing for me to worry with. If my T8 can do the same, great.

I also have a dedicated ChargePoint charger capable of delivering a full 50A, 2 steps away from where I get out of the car. My mobile charger will sit unused in the trunk, just as it did with my Tesla. It’s a cinch for me to plug-in when I get out, and just hang up the cable the next time I get in, so I will do that with my T8. (BTW, I realize the T8 will barely use what the ChargePoint is capable of delivering, but I had a dedicated 100A circuit in use by my Tesla that could draw up to 80A, so I replaced my Tesla Wallcharger with the largest amperage J1772 ChargePoint —which has a standalone timer function, just-in-case the T8 wouldn’t deliver what I wanted— to not only handle my new “little plug-in T8 battery”, but perhaps future proof myself for the next ride, one day.)

I also sized my home solar panels to additionally provide nearly all of my former BEV’s annual charging needs. I have had an electric utility credit the past 2 years at true-up, so I might as well take advantage of not giving even a few bucks to the electric company if I don’t have to. Besides, every penny I don’t give to the oil companies makes me happy — the more electric battery I can use on my T8, the better — especially with premium at a high of $4.499/gal when I passed a station this morning.

It drives some people nuts how detailed I can be — Right-or-wrong, I made a career out of it, and some things never change.
      . Thx again — always appreciate thoughtful POVs and info that makes me think and reconsider what makes most sense for me.
      Bert

Besides, every penny I don’t give to the oil companies makes me happy — the more electric battery I can use on my T8, the better — especially with premium at a high of $4.499/gal when I passed a station this morning.
      Understood, but I think you'll discover the effort may not be worth saving a rounding error.

For example, I find myself charging at random times during the day depending on when my trips occur because the battery needs to be "topped off", not necessarily fully charged, for my ideal trip efficiency (ICE at highway speeds, EV at street speeds). If I tried to schedule my trips around "off peak" charging hours, it'd be a real PITA.

That said, I have no incentive to charge "off peak" because Austin Energy has tiered pricing (no "off peak").
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Charging doesn't need any network connection. If in EU, it is scheduled by timer in the car once the schedule is set.

In US, I am using a cheap 240V/20A plug with timer from Amazon and it has been working well for 2 years.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      Understood, but I think you'll discover the effort may not be worth saving a rounding error...
      That said, I have no incentive to charge "off peak" because Austin Energy has tiered pricing (no "off peak").
      Perhaps.

As long as I've owned Hybrids/BEV and participated in discussions across 3 different mfgr forums about them, it seems an individual owner's usage as well as their demographics (where they live & drive -- e.g hills or not; energy costs, etc) are what make it nearly impossible to come up with a single right answer on Hybrid/BEV financial return and "the" best way to use one. I believe some other threads that end-up going off the tracks, do so because when people get down into the weeds, they forget how many more variables there are with Hybrids/BEV than a simple ICE -- and with opinions and recommendations, one size, almost never fits all.

For me, e.g. I've been the planner-type since my teenage years and it's just become part of my DNA -- always some (or a lot of) thought/research before diving in, at least a partially-baked "Plan B" in the back of my head before I start, and I'm the guy who generally ends-up planning events or vacations for the group. I don't think about it, but friends, family & associates know that's what happens -- even though over the years I tried to not expect the same detailed intensity from everyone else. I spent most of my career where my teams and I were constantly looking for ways to improve process and create business benefit, so it all came together...

As such, I get into personal habits with simple things that to me are not a problem, like always plugging-in when my BEV arrived home -- then wanting to investigate if I had done all I could to make that efficient as it could be -- especially if something had the potential of being automated or a different choice were possible. It's when I went the next step to investigate if my Tesla could charge at lower energy rates, converted over to TOU, and even now take a few extra seconds each time to manually put my dishwasher on delay to not run until rates are lowest. I'm doing the same sort of investigation, layer-by-layer, to see how I can adapt what I know and desire to my new T8 when it arrives.

I also learned my more recent driving patterns extremely well when I manually tracked them and my former Tesla's charging into a spreadsheet every day for more than a year, as I was seeking to prove I had symptoms of early traction battery death (I did; the $27K part was eventually replaced under warranty.) As that data grew, I found I seldom take my car out a 2nd time the same day like I did years ago -- I tend to line-up everywhere I need to go, may start-out at different times, but then do it all in-sequence most days, perhaps because of that planning/efficiency part of me subconsciously taking over -- I know, I'm a boring guy not being more spontaneous. Regardless, my actual driving pattern makes charging once a day work well for me, regardless how big the battery may be. It's an added financial bonus --if only pennies/day-- when I can have that done when my electrical rates are lowest (~25-30% the cost to charge beginning at midnight vs worst-case summer afternoon/early-evening when TOU rates are highest out here in SoCal.)

We all spend our time in different places and put our money on varying priorities. Again, I appreciate the POVs and input. Peace to all, and Happy Thanksgiving.
      Last edited by BertL; 11-25-2019 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
      Bert

Thx. Have added this to my list of things to explore once my 2020 arrives hopefully in the next 5 weeks or so — to you point, one never knows as firmware continues to evolve, so with my not-2-week old T8 that’s on it’s way, it may surprise us all. Crossing my fingers for a BIG Christmas present plus or minus a couple days, or at least right after New Years if it’s on the next ship... I’ll report my findings back here.
      Reviving this thread, and not meaning to be The Grinch: Having taken delivery last week on a US MY20 T8, confirming there is currently no apparent OEM/app-based tool for scheduled charging. Am sure this has been covered ad nauseum in earlier threads, and while obviously not the end of the world, I would have assumed such functionality as table stakes for selling a contemporary EV/PHEV. Apparently not.
      2020 XC60 T8 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by xeno View Post
      Reviving this thread, and not meaning to be The Grinch: Having taken delivery last week on a US MY20 T8, confirming there is currently no apparent OEM/app-based tool for scheduled charging. Am sure this has been covered ad nauseum in earlier threads, and while obviously not the end of the world, I would have assumed such functionality as table stakes for selling a contemporary EV/PHEV. Apparently not.
      Since the scheduled charging is offered in Europe models, I am wondering if it is related to some kind of regulations somewhere in US.

I have been using a $20 240V/20A timed power plug from Amazon to help me just fine.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Since the scheduled charging is offered in Europe models, I am wondering if it is related to some kind of regulations somewhere in US.

I have been using a $20 240V/20A timed power plug from Amazon to help me just fine.
      Hmm. Strange, but fingers-crossed it makes its way over here sooner rather than later. Plug solution looks convenient, though I can't use with garage-mounted charging station.
      2020 XC60 T8 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      ...I am wondering if it is related to some kind of regulations somewhere in US...
      Perhaps, although my Tesla Model S had it all 4 years I owned it, as did earlier builds. Difficult to explain if it’s a regulation given much larger battery sizes and far faster charging options with the BEV. For kicks, I also just checked a 2020 Prius Prime manual, and that PHEV has a built-in timer. Given the function is in Europe, seems Volvo for some reason has not (yet?) taken the next steps needed to gain regulation OK as their competition has here in the US — if so, that would be disappointing.
      Bert

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements