2008 3.2 AWD replacing Power Steering Pump. Need Advise. Pls Check Video.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2008 3.2 AWD replacing Power Steering Pump. Need Advise. Pls Check Video.

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 with 3.2 engine with 89,000 KMS

Yesterday just at half mile from my home the steering got super heavier and there was a screaming wheezing sound. I immediately turn off the AC. I drive slowly to my house.

Thank GOD this happened late at night and there was no traffic so I will say I drive this way less than 10 minutes and only when I steer was the screaming noise.

So today I check under the hood. Open the power steering fluid reservoir and it full. Start the engine and its look like the power steering pump pulley lock/stuck itself momentary when it has to make force to steer.

So I am pretty sure the power steering pump is FUBAR. I will order an aftermarket one.

Also I see the serpentine belt got some damage because of the friction with the power steering pulley problem. I also can see in some places rubber parts of the belt so its look like I also will need to order the belt too. I will order a Continental Contitech Brand.

BTW, I will also order the O Ring kit to repair the Power Brake Booster Vacuum Pump since is leaking oil.

I have wrenched my cars before and could use a hand. Please check the video and I will really appreciated your comments or any advice on other parts you advise me to order.

Thx for your help and time

Isaac
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Any luck so far replacing the pump?

-Ryan
      Too many cars...
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1991 Volvo 745 Dog Waggin' 2.0
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD
      2016 Fiat 500X (Wife-mobile)

They are a real pain in the butt to replace. I called thf dealer to get a quote, a d they told me $1800.00 without looking at it. You have to really tear into the engine bay to get to the pump on a 3.2, mine after I got the under hood fuse /brwaker box out of the way, I had to move the air box and associated plumbing. I also fully removed the tray for the ABS computer which has 6 hard lines plumbed to it. There are only about 3 or 4 bolts you can get to, after that everything else is all wrenches, do not even dream of using a socket, unless your arms are like twigs and as flexible as a rubber band. I did mine in my driveway, and it was a pain to do.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

that p/s fluid looks really bad,i would flush the system before installing a new pump....by the way p/s pumps just dont fail on these cars...

Your video did not play.

While the pump is out I would do the other belt stuff like idler and pulley or tensioner and maybe water pump if it feels like it may be getting at all loose.
      07 XC90 3.2

If you plan to keep the car, I'd do all the stuff while at it. I think the pump should come out quite easily if you pull the A/C compressor and bracket.

-Ryan
      Too many cars...
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1991 Volvo 745 Dog Waggin' 2.0
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD
      2016 Fiat 500X (Wife-mobile)

Yeah, anyone who has done their own water pump and serpentine belt replacement knows you have to unbolt the power steering pump. It isn't that bad if you follow the instructions for doing the belt and water pump. Nothing special besides undoing the lines and reattaching hoses.

Agreed, if you are replacing the power steering pump, then do the rest of the maintenance (ex: water pump, tensioner, idler, and thermostat) while you are there. And as said earlier, a good idea to flush the fluid. Even though this sounds like an early time to do it, the age can still get to components and you won't have to worry about them for a long while.

Not using parts with grease, oil, and rubber can be just as bad as having high mileage. The grease & oil oxidize, getting old and dry, while the rubber gets dry (especially if oil has not circulated to lubricate it). Also, moisture can get to components and sits. In Panama where the original poster is, moisture could cause premature failure for lower mileage vehicles, like in his 3.2.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 143k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements