Water leaks
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Water leaks

Water leaks

I have a 2004 XC70 with sunroof.

There are two leaks in the car. They aren't too major but enough to be of concern.

Leak 1 is in the rear cargo area. There is water pooled up about a half inch deep in the area under that plastic carpeted lift up section in the rear passenger corner. Always fills after heavy rain or wash. Water seems to come from the window?

Leak 2 just appeared today after super super heavy rain. After a left turn a stream of water ran down the center of the passenger footwell from under the dash against the firewall. Not sure where to start here. When I opened the passenger door a bunch of water came out of the bottom of the door and spilled onto the bottom door opening edge and on the ground .

I know sunroof drains could be a possibility. Sunroof is never open.

Where should I start?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So I have a 2002 S60 which had a similar leak to what you are describing in "leak 2". I checked my sunroof drains and they were fine. My leak was coming from the same location as yours, passenger footwell under the dash, against the firewall.

My leak was coming from the small piece of plastic that joins your lower windshield glass to the cowling. The cowling is the big piece of plastic that runs across the car that your windshield wipers stick through.
      This piece of plastic runs the length of your windshield and basically serves to join the windshield and cowling together. Water was running down my windshield and instead of flowing over the plastic piece, onto the cowling, and then into the drain holes it would go into the crack between the plastic strip and windshield.
      From there it was going into this large hole under the cowling that has a fan/motor in it, draining through that and then straight down the firewall into a puddle on the floor.
      My advice is that you fill up a water bottle and try to replicate the leak source as I did.

The way I fixed my leak was to remove the windshield wipers, pull off the cowling and plastic strip. Then I put some auto sealant/caulk type stuff in the groove of the plastic strip that joins up with the windshield. Then I reinstalled the plastic strip and held it in place long enough to seal/bond. Then reinstalled the cowling and wipers.

Sorry for the super non-technical parts descriptions and lack of pictures, but I think this is likely your leak2.
      2013 XC60 T6: her's
      2008 C30: her first Volvo
      2007 XC70 Adventure: mine
      2002 S60 T5M: because it needed to be saved
      Past: 1999 V70 5sp, 2010 Mazda5, 2000 Audi A4 Avant 5sp, 1990 VW Fox 4sp

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
      So I have a 2002 S60 which had a similar leak to what you are describing in "leak 2". I checked my sunroof drains and they were fine. My leak was coming from the same location as yours, passenger footwell under the dash, against the firewall.

My leak was coming from the small piece of plastic that joins your lower windshield glass to the cowling. The cowling is the big piece of plastic that runs across the car that your windshield wipers stick through.
      This piece of plastic runs the length of your windshield and basically serves to join the windshield and cowling together. Water was running down my windshield and instead of flowing over the plastic piece, onto the cowling, and then into the drain holes it would go into the crack between the plastic strip and windshield.
      From there it was going into this large hole under the cowling that has a fan/motor in it, draining through that and then straight down the firewall into a puddle on the floor.
      My advice is that you fill up a water bottle and try to replicate the leak source as I did.

The way I fixed my leak was to remove the windshield wipers, pull off the cowling and plastic strip. Then I put some auto sealant/caulk type stuff in the groove of the plastic strip that joins up with the windshield. Then I reinstalled the plastic strip and held it in place long enough to seal/bond. Then reinstalled the cowling and wipers.

Sorry for the super non-technical parts descriptions and lack of pictures, but I think this is likely your leak2.
      Definitely sounds like leak 2 to me as well. Ive had the same issue on my VR and my old 05 s80. Ironically both after having the windshield replaced, but both turned out to be this.
      2004 C70 T5 AT vert 77k Black Sapphire
      2004 V70R GT 144K Silver/Nordkap
      2005 S60R M66 151k Passion/Nordkap
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport 215k Passion Red

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 91shelby View Post
      Definitely sounds like leak 2 to me as well. Ive had the same issue on my VR and my old 05 s80. Ironically both after having the windshield replaced, but both turned out to be this.
      Hah, my windshield had been replaced recently as well!
      2013 XC60 T6: her's
      2008 C30: her first Volvo
      2007 XC70 Adventure: mine
      2002 S60 T5M: because it needed to be saved
      Past: 1999 V70 5sp, 2010 Mazda5, 2000 Audi A4 Avant 5sp, 1990 VW Fox 4sp

I saw a gap between that and the windshield this morning, so that sounds like a possibility!

As for the rear cargo area leak, today I noticed both upper taillights have heavy condensation and a boatload of water inside. I'm thinking bad taillight seals and the water is overflowing downwards?

Did some investigating today. I hosed the back area of the car where the water under the cargo area was. I believe I have found and stopped the source. The side trim was unclipped and was bowed outward. I'm guessing the trim just clips into the body, so without it being clipped in, water could travel into the car. It seems to have stopped but I will see.

The taillights are definitely leaking as well, but moreso into the lenses. I took off one and the seal looks fine but I think both taillights are loose. They can be wobbled quite a bit by hand. I'll take both off tomorrow, dry them out, clean the car and paint, etc and reinstall, tighten them properly and see what happens.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements