What would you replace your R with?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What would you replace your R with?

As these cars get older, I figure more and more of them are getting wrecked or otherwise taken off the road. What would you replace your R with?

I generally dislike SUVs, so replacing a VR for me would pretty much mean that I'd have to get a Benz E350/400/63. Having recently driven one, I'd also consider a Stelvio, just because they drive amazingly well. I also learned from my VR that I really hate working on transverse engined cars.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would go with the E350 class as well or an RS4, I did like my v8 Quattro.
      Last edited by Rodtheviking; 11-25-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Strongly considering the new RS6 Avant.

2004 S60R M66 Flash Green/Atacama
      2004 V70R M66 Mystic Silver/Gobi
      1997 S90
      2005 XC90 V8 Magic Blue/Taupe
      2008 S80 3.2 Shimmer Gold/Sandstone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 S60R Flash Green Atacama M66
      2004 V70 2.5T
      1997 S90

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rodtheviking View Post
      I would go with the E350 class as well or an RS4, I did like my v8 Quattro.
      I kicked the idea around for a while of getting a V8 S5 to replace the R, but before I even test drove one decided I would miss the R too much. Even with being able to get a manual (nearly) Sonic blue and (nearly) atacama interior S5, I'm nowhere near ready to replace the R with anything remotely close to my budget.
      2006 S60R MT Sonic Blue with Atacama - Garage Queen
      2008 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red with Off Black - Hers
      2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI MT, 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L MT 60th Anniversary Edition
      Previously: 2010 S80 V8, 2006 V70R MT, 2004 S60R MT, 1993 245 NA, 2006 XC90 V8, 2002 Dakota V8 MT

Wouldn't replace it, mere add to the collection. It makes ZERO economic sense to get rid of a well maintained R, from an insurance, stand point it's costs nothing and speed/mpg/cost ratio it's unbeatable. I would consider a B7 RS4 but thats about it.

Realistically it's worth 13-14k max, an even in the sub 25k catagory my R is unbeatable, the power, reliability, mpg, saftey and cost overall is just too good.
      Last edited by The Driver; 11-25-2019 at 03:47 PM.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

I already know what will either replace or sit next to it in the garage 6-7 years from now. 2017 or newer Audi RS3... 5 cylinder turbo goodness

I’d only replace the sr with a vr. There’s nothing in my price range that I’d even consider to replace the r with.

Sent from my iPhone XR using Tapatalk
      05 sr sapphire/nordkap, three pedal arrangement Custom 3" intake pipe w/ stock air box mahle filter, aeromotive fuel pump welded A.G. Bob villa mod PPS: Poly front control arm bushings, poly torque mount, poly subframe inserts Powerflex: race #12/street #5,8,13 Ipd toe bars BC coil overs EST D.P. catted w/ Viva performance cat back exhaust Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 tires 235/40-18 and of course PEGS!!!
      Stage 0- in progress

There is nothing in the market place to replace my R. Seriously...a hot rod, AWD, wagon with a stick?

However, if I could afford the entry price, maintenance and repairs, an E63 AMG wagon strikes my fancy partially because it is the most wagonlike wagon. AMG V8 soundtrack...tasty, and would likely overcome the desire to have a manual gearbox.

RS6 Avant and Panamera Sport Turismo are hatchbacks.

Model S P100D. Ludicrous mode G forces might overcome a lot of other deficiencies.

Outback - no way.

Regal TourX - nah, though I would like to drive one.

My favorite AMG V8 soundtrack:
      '06 Long Roof R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 222k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 27k miles - garage queen | RIP 10/05/17, now a parts car.
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 26k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 161k miles

Another R of course... but if I didn't need space, an RS3 is tops in my list. A bit more space... used S6. Both of those cars are beasts with some choice mods. Yes, you do give up the manual however. I'm not a fan of the latest RS6 styling - otherwise it could be a contender.

There's a reason I've had my R as my DD for nearly 13 yrs now... it's just too good to replace!
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT Darton Sleeved/Rods/Pistons, RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, EFR7163, PM3, Aeromotive 340 fp, ID1050x, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune
      01 Audi S4, Tial 605's, built engine, etc
      93 Mustang Cobra, Incon Twin Turbo 347 Dart, etc

Quote Originally Posted by qwkbrk View Post
      There is nothing in the market place to replace my R. Seriously...a hot rod, AWD, wagon with a stick?

However, if I could afford the entry price, maintenance and repairs, an E63 AMG wagon strikes my fancy partially because it is the most wagonlike wagon. AMG V8 soundtrack...tasty, and would likely overcome the desire to have a manual gearbox.
      More or less concur, although I'd take the E400 wagon as well. As for anything close to the price of a (well-maintained M66 VR), the only thing that I can think of is a 6-speed VW Alltrack with a tune (APR+ to keep that 6y/72K maintenance). Quite liked the GSW TDI that came before my VR, but ok, a VW wagon is not in the same league as a VR.
      1980 244 GL M46. Glacier Blue/Black. 185k.
      2007 V70R M66. Titanium Grey/Nordkap Blue. 135k.
      2016 340ix 6-speed. Estoril Blue/Dakota Brown. 40k.

No money to jump to an e wagon. It would never be replaced. Unless i found another or went to a manual t5 p80 wagon. I love this car. Maybe too much.

"The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

If you don't need a wagon but still want to row gears, a later model B8 Audi S4 with the supercharged V6 can be had used with a manual trans. With a good tune, it's a solid quick car for reasonable amount of money.
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT Darton Sleeved/Rods/Pistons, RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, EFR7163, PM3, Aeromotive 340 fp, ID1050x, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune

Test drove a 2016 v60 P* the other week, definitely a nice car and a worthy upgrade. I was very seriously considering a Giulia. Now I'm seriously considering a Kia Stinger GT.
      2006 S60R GT, Magibi (magic blue/Gobi), Stage 0, IPD catback
      '98 S70 GLT (Donated)
      '90 240 DL (Donated)

Hold out for the polestar 1

||1998 s70 t5m - Stock, future gambler 500 car | 140k? miles
      ||2001 v70 t5 - IPD Sway bars | Delrin subframe bushings | Transmission cooler & mounted inline filter | Rostra long snout transmission solenoids | IPD catback exhaust & Rolling Motors 3" downpipe | Simota Carbon Charge Intake | Bilstein B4 & Eibach prokit lowering springs | 124k mi
      ||2003 v70 2.4t - First volvo | SOLD! Still driving around with 190k+ miles.
      Kanjo!!

Lotus Evora S
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

I just gave Elon my hundred bucks.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

2016+ F-Type R

2007 S60R - Ti Grey/Atacama M66 - Stage II Shark Tune - 8EightFab downpipe - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - SNABB FMIC/Intake Pipe - TWM Short Shifter - Forge CBV - UR Front Brace/Rear Brace - IPD 28mm Rear Sway Bar - BC Racing Coilovers
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - Electric Silver - Muffler/Resonator Delete
      2007 XC70 - Ice White - Stage I Shark Tune - Muffler Delete

I've been considering the Polestar 2 in a couple years.

I still prefer F-Type S

That six sound!
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40

Quote Originally Posted by MN-TURBOR View Post
      2016+ F-Type R
      Seductively good looks...
      '06 Long Roof R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 222k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 27k miles - garage queen | RIP 10/05/17, now a parts car.
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 26k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 161k miles

I don't buy new cars, I only buy cool old cars with NLA parts....

So if I replace the R, it will be with a 1991 isuzu impulse. It would have to be a really clean one though, probably something off of BAT

I just went through this, so I can tell you exactly what I did replace my R with. Another R. But it HAD to be Sonic blue. Found a Sonic blue

Quote Originally Posted by victhevolvo View Post
      Now I'm seriously considering a Kia Stinger GT.
      +1 on the Stinger!

Serious bargain!!!!

And you've made quick work of it so far! Looking good! What price range before you had to do all the work, if you don't mind me asking?
      Quote Originally Posted by BaltotheRolf View Post
      I just went through this, so I can tell you exactly what I did replace my R with. Another R. But it HAD to be Sonic blue. Found a Sonic blue
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Now I sound ancient, but I just don't think I could stomach a Korean car.
      I guess that's where Japan was 50 years ago...
      Quote Originally Posted by ARATA View Post
      +1 on the Stinger!
      Serious bargain!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      And you've made quick work of it so far! Looking good! What price range before you had to do all the work, if you don't mind me asking?
      Quote Originally Posted by BaltotheRolf View Post
      Like 5k which was a pipe dream. Guess in hindsight it wasn't now, but ye.

Oh, I would like to mention I haven't even spent that much on repairs. All the labor thanks to my buddies has been free.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

Yeah, I would never do it either... I still question their quality and reliability in the long run. Plus it has zero street cred especially in these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by ElementR View Post
      I still question their quality and reliability in the long run.
      I have the same concerns, but a 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty vs others with a 36,000 mile warranty makes me stop and think. I work in Failure Analysis so a 100K warranty sure sounds as if the quality is there, and if it isn't, then there is still the stated warranty that the purchaser can use to obtain repairs.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi

Quote Originally Posted by ElementR View Post
      Yeah, I would never do it either... I still question their quality and reliability in the long run. Plus it has zero street cred especially in these parts.
      You guys must be old........

Welcome to the 80's

🙂

Welcome to the 80's

🙂
      Lol yeah. I love those new kias. I had a KIa small sedan with vortex generators on the roof actually keep up with me on a highway. My grandmas na 4 cyl is about as fast as my wagon too.

||1998 s70 t5m - Stock, future gambler 500 car | 140k? miles
      ||2001 v70 t5 - IPD Sway bars | Delrin subframe bushings | Transmission cooler & mounted inline filter | Rostra long snout transmission solenoids | IPD catback exhaust & Rolling Motors 3" downpipe | Simota Carbon Charge Intake | Bilstein B4 & Eibach prokit lowering springs | 124k mi
      ||2003 v70 2.4t - First volvo | SOLD! Still driving around with 190k+ miles.
      Kanjo!!

The stinger is def a bargain but I dont think most owners and drivers here buy cars just for a bang for the buck. Its a cool car but looks a lil too long and plasticky. Some colors are def much better looking but to each his own. That jag looks n sounds beautiful. Thats a car Id buy and a turbo 911 and they would have to be manual

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      IPD DP and Evolve Sport Exhaust, Snow Performance Methanol Progressive Kit,Unorthodox Racing Crank Pulley,SNABB Big Front Mount Kit, Eibach Springs,Elevate Rear Sway-Neutrall Setup,10 mm Spacers front & 15 mm Spacers rear, Sleeved block/forged pistons,Steve-O Tune w/snabb S4 intake kit, Hybrid Turbo, delrin bushings

If I had to replace today, probably a Focus ST. Haven't driven it, but smile when i see it
      Give me 12 months: ATS-V, Chevy SS, B8 S4
      Honorable mention: VR M66 and Saab SportCombi (availability or condition), Audi A8 (D3) and W211 E55 (sexy but....)

Maybe an early CC w/ a manual & tune. Don't know how they've held up, but shopped them when I shopped the R.

Welcome to the 80's

🙂
      Old and stuck in my ways... but seriously, Kias and their cousins are not as prevalent in the motor city as elsewhere in the country. This is still largely the land of the big 3 albeit with some of the other major named vehicles.

I just want my 4 brands, Volvo S60R, 06 E46 M3 manual Coupe, 07-08 B7 RS4 manual and 08 Merc Clk 63 BS.

Certain P cars down the road.

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements