Darn! only 6 weeks and 1400 miles and my windshield is chipped with couple of small cracks
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Unhappy Darn! only 6 weeks and 1400 miles and my windshield is chipped with couple of small cracks

After owing the car for 6 weeks , I got my first insurance claim. I was driving down on I-95 and faint noise (it was not loud) from windshield, When I looked it up, just below the HUD (window on windshield) I see this. There was no truck or heavy construction vehicle in the front, not sure how this stone/rock was tossed up in the air. Not sure how big the stone / rock was, I definitely believe it was very small since I was watching the road and it was bright day light. When ran my finger , the surface is actually smooth except the small impact point. I am taking it to safelite today.

2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This happened to me as well. I was on the expressway driving behind an Amazon semi and it kicked up a rock to my windshield. Not only did it make a dent, a large crack formed across the entire windshield.

I actually replaced my windshield at the dealer for $1,800 and my insurance (Allstate) covered it 100%. While they were encouraging me to go to Safelite, they said that since my car was a 2019 model, they would approve an OEM replacement.

I知 glad I did as my new windshield is original Volvo manufactured in the Czech Republic (as opposed to China).

I知 from Czech. It better be good product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Danshot1 View Post
      This happened to me as well. I was on the expressway driving behind an Amazon semi and it kicked up a rock to my windshield. Not only did it make a dent, a large crack formed across the entire windshield.

I actually replaced my windshield at the dealer for $1,800 and my insurance (Allstate) covered it 100%. While they were encouraging me to go to Safelite, they said that since my car was a 2019 model, they would approve an OEM replacement.

I知 glad I did as my new windshield is original Volvo manufactured in the Czech Republic (as opposed to China).
      Safelite guys fixed it today and also mentioned that if I am not satisfied, they will replace the windshield. Let me drive for couple of days and decide, I don't want to rip off original factory seal yet.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Does the windshield come with any additional features? (i.e. heated windscreen, electric defrost etc)
      I mean if you're eligible for a replacement, can you get a better version of what you used to have?
      asking for a friend ;p

I have had exactly the same chip on my windscreen when the car was 3 months old. Tried the fix with resin but after a month it opened up again. Had eventually to replace windscreen with new OEM. So far had no issues after the replacement.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      Does the windshield come with any additional features? (i.e. heated windscreen, electric defrost etc)
      I mean if you're eligible for a replacement, can you get a better version of what you used to have?
      asking for a friend ;p
      stocis, not sure whether mine has heated, I will need to check , however it has HUD, Intellisafe Box is mounted (Advanced Package) and heated wiper fluid. I also not sure if you can upgrade without pre wiring / factory setup for those upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by savolvo View Post
      I have had exactly the same chip on my windscreen when the car was 3 months old. Tried the fix with resin but after a month it opened up again. Had eventually to replace windscreen with new OEM. So far had no issues after the replacement.
      Its fixed with resin (Safelite's exclusive resin - that's what they claim) , Safelite offers lifetime warranty. The chip is not visible except for crack lines. I will drive with the resin for now and if it fails, will go for a windshield replacement.
      Last edited by PSamy; 11-26-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Danshot1, I have Statefarm and they said they will cover the replacement if required with '0' deductible. I will wait for a month and see how the repair holds up and decide.

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      Danshot1, I have Statefarm and they said they will cover the replacement if required with '0' deductible. I will wait for a month and see how the repair holds up and decide.
      Zero deductible for me as well. You池e likely going to be perfectly fine with the safelite replacement so no further replacement would be needed. I was told that the dealer would need to recalibrate the windshield anyway so I just did everything there.

After owing the car for 6 weeks , I got my first insurance claim. I was driving down on I-95 and faint noise (it was not loud) from windshield, When I looked it up, just below the HUD (window on windshield) I see this. There was no truck or heavy construction vehicle in the front, not sure how this stone/rock was tossed up in the air. Not sure how big the stone / rock was, I definitely believe it was very small since I was watching the road and it was bright day light. When ran my finger , the surface is actually smooth except the small impact point. I am taking it to safelite today.

Hell the worst is being behind a dump truck. Things flying off the thing. I've got OH so MANY rock chips on my hood / bumper from trucks kicking up rocks. Some surface chips on windshield (but not cracks).

Unless you plan to wrap your vehicle, these sorts of wear and tear issues are normal hazards of being on the road. They suck and piss you off but not much to do. Hell, I've got nice 10inch + paperclip width scratch down my door from some generous soul. And a nice dent in my door jamb from where seatbelt got slammed in door while being shut. Stupid seatbelt finally got replaced by dealer, but not until inflicting a few door jamb dents.. Cause no, the seatbelt was "fine"... Bah.

Ok you get my point, can't avoid wear and tear.

Dash Camera! If the object is large enough to be caught on video and you can prove it's that vehicle, then hold that driver responsible! The worst are dump trucks that have SH*T flying everywhere on the highway!

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Dash Camera! If the object is large enough to be caught on video and you can prove it's that vehicle, then hold that driver responsible! The worst are dump trucks that have SH*T flying everywhere on the highway!
      I actually have a dash cam installed and caught the truck that likely did it, but it didn稚 actually catch any stone hitting the windshield. Either way, insurance covered it so I知 not going to make a fuss about it.

I actually have a dash cam installed and caught the truck that likely did it, but it didn稚 actually catch any stone hitting the windshield. Either way, insurance covered it so I知 not going to make a fuss about it.
      Many EU Countries (like Cyprus, where I'm from) do not acknowledge Dash Cameras as proof of evidence in a Court of law, as the video may be tampered with. Nevertheless, I also strongly advise for having one for at least knowing who/what was responsible, even if inadmissible.

@PSamy, I think you get what I'm saying. I meant since the windshield will be replaced, whether you may get a "free" upgrade with this replacement. For sure though HUD, etc would be in the dashboard / hardwired inside the car rather than embedded on the windscreen. Right?

Many EU Countries (like Cyprus, where I'm from) do not acknowledge Dash Cameras as proof of evidence in a Court of law, as the video may be tampered with. Nevertheless, I also strongly advise for having one for at least knowing who/what was responsible, even if inadmissible.

@PSamy, I think you get what I'm saying. I meant since the windshield will be replaced, whether you may get a "free" upgrade with this replacement. For sure though HUD, etc would be in the dashboard / hardwired inside the car rather than embedded on the windscreen. Right?
      If some hits your car and its captured on camera, there's really no arguing with the video. Court or no court. Im pretty sure insurance companies in EU will probably still look at video?

Funny, I just posted my own thread of windshield woes. My chips are much smaller but the whole
      upper corner of mine is cracked and looks ready to come apart. Not happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Gammelgubbe View Post
      Funny, I just posted my own thread of windshield woes. My chips are much smaller but the whole
      upper corner of mine is cracked and looks ready to come apart. Not happy!
      It never happened to any of my cars so far (~300K miles and 20 years), I got hit with small rock chips, but the windshield never chipped or cracked except for few small impact spots. I am suspecting the glass to be too thin or kind of soft(?), weight reduction?, or have I been lucky all along?
      Last edited by PSamy; 11-28-2019 at 12:28 AM.

It never happened to any of my cars so far (~300K miles and 20 years), I got hit with small rock chips, but the windshield never chipped or cracked except for few small impact spots. I am suspecting the glass to be too thin or kind of soft(?), weight reduction?, or have I been lucky all along?
      You know..... I should have never responded to your thread! Somehow you rubbed off on me. I had some debris slam into my car. Course, it came from opposite side of highway so i couldn't catch where it originated. High winds here. Son of a bitch it took out my bumper....Hoping it's just the cap piece, but thinking it broke the backing where that piece goes in.

You know..... I should have never responded to your thread! Somehow you rubbed off on me. I had some debris slam into my car. Course, it came from opposite side of highway so i couldn't catch where it originated. High winds here. Son of a bitch it took out my bumper....Hoping it's just the cap piece, but thinking it broke the backing where that piece goes in.
      Sorry to hear that!, hope I have not jinxed everyone on this thread!

Lucky
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Sorry to hear that!, hope I have not jinxed everyone on this thread!
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...amage-Question

We had high winds here and this launched at my car from opposite side of the highway at high speeds.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...amage-Question

We had high winds here and this launched at my car from opposite side of the highway at high speeds.
      I looked up your pic, will respond to your original thread. I think you are OK, no need to buy a new bumper.

I have had my front windshield replaced under warranty from Volvo on my 19 T6 Inscription. There was a manufacturing defect in the glass. My local dealer had to get approval from the Regional Service Manager. She actually had to come into the dealership to see it. Once she saw the defect she approved the replacement right away.

Go to your dealer and show it to the service manager and see what they say...

If some hits your car and its captured on camera, there's really no arguing with the video. Court or no court. Im pretty sure insurance companies in EU will probably still look at video?
      Car insurance agents in Europe are a joke when it comes to claims. At least in my country. Courts that won't accept footage from dashcams, not to mention security/surveillance cameras. The law states that if there's any chance the video can be tampered with, then the footage is considered hearsay and though taken in consideration, effectively is inadmissible.

Car insurance agents in Europe are a joke when it comes to claims. At least in my country. Courts that won't accept footage from dashcams, not to mention security/surveillance cameras. The law states that if there's any chance the video can be tampered with, then the footage is considered hearsay and though taken in consideration, effectively is inadmissible.
      So what happens if someone was murdered and a store surveillance camera caught the murder? This video can't be admitted to court? Sounds very strange and unlikely.

So what happens if someone was murdered and a store surveillance camera caught the murder? This video can't be admitted to court? Sounds very strange and unlikely.
      Yeah you can look it up.
      We also had some cases in the past few years where serious crimes were solved with the help of security footage from a store/home surveillance cams recording public road (considered illegal), police (idiocy) being filmed and uploaded online, and so on.
      As mentioned before, the police may take the video under consideration so as to prosecute / investigate etc. It is unlikely for serious offenses such as murder or drugs, but they can decline even watching it too.
      However, should the video be submitted as substantial evidence, the lawyer of the defendant may object. In any case the footage shall be considered hearsay unless its impossible to have been tampered with.
      To put in perspective think of it this way: Is it, by any chance, possible for someone to edit the 10sec video footage taken from a dashcam, edit the license plates / color of the car?
      Despite the question as to why would someone do that, the answer is, "absolutely".
      Having said that, the video is inadmissible, however duly taken in consideration by court and police as hearsay.

We're a little bit off topic, sorry OP.

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements