Help! 2005 S40 floor soaked with coolant
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Help! 2005 S40 floor soaked with coolant

Hi everyone, newer member and newish Volvo owner here. Hoping someone will be able to help me out with diagnosing and fixing my 2005 volvo s40 with 195k. Just recently we realized the floor was soaked, coolant checked and low, refilled and same result, most of it ended up on the floor, the entire floor, all sides and in the back too. It is not a roof leak. On top of that the leaks seem to be causing the wipers to short because they'll randomly turn on to the highest setting once the coolant gets flowing and they wont turn off until the battery is disconnected or shut of the car and the coolant stops flowing. So thinking it'd be an easy diagnosis we began to take apart what was needed to get to the heater core and it doesnt seem to be the unit itself and maybe a bad O ring or attachment because the can see the mositure occurring within an electrical conduit on the passenger side floor next to the exposed heater core. Whelp, any help is appreciated....hopefully someone on here has dealt with a similar issur and it wasn't as big an issue and cost as im suspecting. Any help is greatly appreciated and glad to be part of this wonderful community of Volvo owners!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Sounds one of the O rings connecting the heater core to the hard lines that pass through the firewall. Very common point for failure. Check the S40/V50 section for help with the replacement.

The bigger problem is your electrical issues. Where those O rings leak, they can drip coolant onto the central electronic module and risk frying things out. A new CEM with programming will cost over $1200.

Do not drive the car until you get this fixed. Not only are the electronics at risk, but your engine is greatly in danger of overheating from loss of coolant.
      You'll also want to pull up the carpets and thoroughly dry everything, as there is a risk of mold and also damaging other electrical components.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshj118 View Post
      Hi everyone, newer member and newish Volvo owner here. Hoping someone will be able to help me out with diagnosing and fixing my 2005 volvo s40 with 195k. Just recently we realized the floor was soaked, coolant checked and low, refilled and same result, most of it ended up on the floor, the entire floor, all sides and in the back too. It is not a roof leak. On top of that the leaks seem to be causing the wipers to short because they'll randomly turn on to the highest setting once the coolant gets flowing and they wont turn off until the battery is disconnected or shut of the car and the coolant stops flowing.

So thinking it'd be an easy diagnosis we began to take apart what was needed to get to the heater core and it doesnt seem to be the unit itself and maybe a bad O ring or attachment because the can see the mositure occurring within an electrical conduit on the passenger side floor next to the exposed heater core. Whelp, any help is appreciated....hopefully someone on here has dealt with a similar issur and it wasn't as big an issue and cost as im suspecting. Any help is greatly appreciated and glad to be part of this wonderful community of Volvo owners!
      Consider writing things out a bit more - it's kind of a blob and was clearly written in a hurry, which I understand, come back and fix it for us if you get the time.

Two things here to check:
      #1 There is an AC drain, which is a rubber hose coming off the box and going into a white piece that snaps into the body and drains the AC condensation on that side too. into what would be considered the "transmission tunnel" on a normal rwd car. Pull the hose and that white plastic piece off, separate them, and clean them out. Might as well while you're down there.

#2 - check your heater core pipes at the joint. Any blue means there's a leak. Put your fingers on it to feel, and you will either feel crusties or greasies. Consider doing what most of us have done, and cutting off both ends that require an oring and putting a section of rubber hose and tighten some hose clamps down over them. Cheapest and most permanent solution, or you'll be back here in another 75k-150k.

Clean up your CEM with some electronics cleaner and a clean new toothbrush and you should be good to go on the wiper front as well.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 11-26-2019 at 05:15 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements