Upping T8 performance: Full battery? Better fuel?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Upping T8 performance: Full battery? Better fuel?

Long story short...full battery was inexplicably thumbs down, would be happy to hear suggestions as to why,
      while higher octane fuel returned some solid benefit from presumably advanced timing and/or boost from our high-strung little 2L SPA motors.
      Oh, and the Prancing Moose, two big thumbs up, good for at least 20HP, each! Dyno Tested!!
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

EVs always produce more torque at a high charge state. I suspect you lost traction and traction control cut power accordingly. I think your 0-60 numbers are off simply due to tire choice.

I'm running sticky 265 mm pzeros (not knobby tires ) and I still get consistent wheel slippage on dry asphalt at WOT from a standstill (traction control disabled).
      Last edited by lamarguy; 11-26-2019 at 01:13 AM.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      I'm running sticky 265 mm pzeros (not knobby tires ) and I still get consistent wheel slippage on dry asphalt at WOT from a standstill (traction control disabled).
      I had the OEM 255 Pirellis on for these tests (you can see there in the opening shot though I didn't call it out). I agree the 0-60 drop off could be traction related over-compensation, but that doesn't explain the big drop-off in performance from about 8.5s onwards unless the ECU just got really confused and gave up...
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Great video Kranvagn! Some very interesting data, I agree the run on full battery being the slowest is a real head scratcher, maybe the engine temp wasn’t fully up yet? Or the tires weren’t sticking as well at that point?
      Pending delivery: 2020 S60 Polestar Engineered, Matte Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

Quote Originally Posted by beers View Post
      Great video Kranvagn! Some very interesting data, I agree the run on full battery being the slowest is a real head scratcher, maybe the engine temp wasn’t fully up yet? Or the tires weren’t sticking as well at that point?
      I agree with your observations. When you test a vehicle you continue to develop a feel for how it behaves. Temperature also plays a big part in performance. One or two runs are not sufficient to insure that you are near the mean. In normal situations, a full battery is never 100% full as an empty battery is never 0% empty. So it does not make sense that a "full" battery impeded performance. If you watch a lot of track racing you will observe how much effort goes into heating tires and insuring everything is optimal. My supercharged NSX was optimized using a dyno and it ran slightly lean. When I would run 100 octane racing fuel I could easily feel in my butt the difference in performance. Often you will not hear detonation or pre ignition conditions. So one has to be careful with an engine that is tuned to performance. Fuel octane can and does impact performance. Our two liter engines produce a lot of power.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements