Winter Tire Size
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Winter Tire Size

Just recently purchased 2018 V90 CC used with 6,000 miles on it.

Now contemplating adding a separate set of wheels/snows for the winter which I always did on my Saab.

My stock tires are 235/55 R18

Saw a set of rims/tires for sale coming off of an XC60 (not sure of year) that are 18" rims and same bolt pattern (not sure on offset), however, the tire size is:

235/60 R18

Any issues with using these on the car? I think the sidewall would be taller which doesn't bother me. I looked on a tire size calculator and it showed that speeds would be off by 3% or so, so seems like not much of a change.

Anybody running these size tires on a V90CC?

Thanks for any thoughts and input!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I just put Nokians on for winter on mine, size 235/55R18. I don’t know if Waze speedometer is correct... if so, OE speedometer would be reading faster than actual. At 120km/h, Waze shows I’m actually doing 117. Then, 60 aspect tires would eliminate that discrepancy. If I knew before, I would’ve gone with 60’s.
      2018 V90CC T5 with P*, Saville Gray/Charcoal
      2015.5 XC60 T5 Drive-E Platinum, Twilight Bronze/Hazel Brown

When I lived in Sweden and Norway, (studded) winter tires always were narrower than summer tires. Wide tires do not bite into snow as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Excuse the dirty tires and wheels, just put on the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV winter tires. The tire size is the same as the all season 19's Pirelli at 235/50/R19. Excuse the dirty rims and tires. It's suppose to snow tomorrow and the following day in the New York area.

|2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country| - Crystal White/Blond Interior - Luxury Package - Convenience Package - HUD - B&O - Premium Air Suspension - Polestar Optimised

I was getting really confused about these sizes, until I noticed you were talking about CC's.

Apparently they came with very different sizes stock compared to the regular S/V90's

So, I don't know if you have made up your mind, or bought anything yet, but I decided to do some research for you.

In general we want to go narrower if we can for winter tires, as when ccutting through snow, it is beneficial for the tire to be narrower than what you run in the summer. My strategy is always to get the narrowest tire that will fit on the rim, and try to match the diameter to within ~2%.

Looking at this table based on your comments above, it looks like you got the 235/55R18 on 7.5" wide wheels

Assuming you aren't replacing the wheels, looking at the available alternatives on the tire calculator, for you I'd lean towards 225/60R18's. They fit 6-8" rims This will make them only 1.4% larger, which is fine, and gives you slightly more sidewall to deal with those bad winter potholes, and are narrower than what you have. (215/60R18 would have been an even better fit, but it looks like that isn't a commonly available size)

If you are getting other wheels, the sky is the limit, but remember to try to match offset such that the center contact patch of the tires is as close to the originals as possible.

After a little bit of experience in the white stuff today. I can't recommend the Continental ContiVikingContact 7's enough. They are amazing, and only $138.99 a piece in your size, with road hazard insurance included!
      Last edited by mattlach; 12-02-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Appreciate all the info! Will be moving forward with some decision after the holidays and will update.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements