2010 XC90 3.2 noise on idle
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2010 XC90 3.2 noise on idle

Hello,

I have a 2010 xc90 3.2 R Design with around 78K miles which I bought about 2 months ago.
      I have been noticing some strange noise when the car is on idle ( for example at the traffic lights). I dont know if it's coming from the gearbox or something else. seems to go away when the engine is off for some time. and then comes back after some running.

Here is the link to the short audio recording I did. If someone can identify the source it's coming from would be a great help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eqn...w?usp=drivesdk

Thanks,
      Utsav

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It is difficult to understand what you are trying to let us hear. Where is the audio taken, inside, outside, in the engine bay? Are you revving the engine? Does the noise change when you rev or when you are driving, or is it consistent? Is it a metallic noise or electrical noise?

So, I remember hearing a strange noise inside the cabin at times and wondered what it was. It turned out not to be anything wrong. It was the audio and I had an auxiliary line plugged into the center console and when I unplugged the phone, it would make a weird noise from the speakers. Almost like you are trying to listen for aliens in outer space.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 143k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownV View Post
      It is difficult to understand what you are trying to let us hear. Where is the audio taken, inside, outside, in the engine bay? Are you revving the engine? Does the noise change when you rev or when you are driving, or is it consistent? Is it a metallic noise or electrical noise?

So, I remember hearing a strange noise inside the cabin at times and wondered what it was. It turned out not to be anything wrong. It was the audio and I had an auxiliary line plugged into the center console and when I unplugged the phone, it would make a weird noise from the speakers. Almost like you are trying to listen for aliens in outer space.

I actually did a little troubleshooting today and it turns out to be related to the AC. sound goes off when AC is turned off.

The audio was taken from the cabin. car was on idle. the sound is not noticeable if you rev the engine because it's not that loud. the sound is like small growl you hear in the recording, and is harmonic.

Since now I know that its coming from AC, I assume it could be the AC compressor or something?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      Mine does the same thing. Sounds like squirrels or rats in a wall. There was a TJ on this - the fix was a re-designed AC line to the cabin.
      My solution is to turn up the radio a bit louder.
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 140k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 25k km
      2003 Acura TL Type S A-Spec (2007 Accord V6 transmission swap, Tein SS, all available engine bolt ons, exhaust, Apexi AFC, etc.) 108k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km

Yeah, but I am worried if it's the compressor and if it would create more expensive problems.

wondering if it's the compressor clutch since it's only happening when the AC is on.

If you turn the A/C off, but the fan is still on, do you still hear it? The blower motor is a common wear part and it is located under the passenger dash. This is also where the cabin filter is located.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 143k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

There is no noise with the A/C off but fan still running.

I'll try and find the video. It's made by a Volvo tech but has a bad title. It's the exact noise. He did a before and after with the new hose.
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 140k km
      2003 Acura TL Type S A-Spec (2007 Accord V6 transmission swap, Tein SS, all available engine bolt ons, exhaust, Apexi AFC, etc.) 108k km

Couple links come up for the AC thermal expansion issue (if that's what is the cause), bulletin is SC-253 but I'm not easily finding a copy. See https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229701 as one example.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

Quote Originally Posted by generic_volvo_driver View Post
      I'll try and find the video. It's made by a Volvo tech but has a bad title. It's the exact noise. He did a before and after with the new hose.
      I'll try and find the video as well. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      Couple links come up for the AC thermal expansion issue (if that's what is the cause), bulletin is SC-253 but I'm not easily finding a copy. See https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229701 as one example.
      Thanks a lot. This seems like the issue that I have. and this will surely help in the further research.

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      This is what I meant! Great find!

Hopefully that SB takes care of your problem.

Also, don't let your serpentine belt pulley bearings get too worn out before replacing them.

Our 07 AC had noises that were fixed with a compressor change just at the end of the warranty period.
      07 XC90 3.2

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements