Oil analysis question for Amsoil
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Oil analysis question for Amsoil

Has anyone ever run Amsoil in their cars?

Doing as much commuting as I have been, I saw their 25,000mi oil change interval with their Signature series, and I saw Mobil 1's 20,000mi or 1 year oil as well.

However, if you go on their website and put in your car, only Amsoil shows their Signature series for our cars. Mobil 1 doesn't suggest it.

Realistically, I pay about $45-$50 every 5,000mi (7 weeks) for a new oil and filter. At 10,000mi, the cost between Amsoil and Mobil 1 would break even for me with regular 5,000mi intervals and oil changes. At 15,000mi is when I start saving money.

I do 120mi/day 95% of it highway, and I typically don't warm the car up beyond a minute or two.

Not looking to start a good or bad oil thread, just looking to see if anyone has had an analysis done on our cars yet with Amsoil or Mobil 1 extended performance.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 11-26-2019 at 06:34 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I use Mobil 1 10W-30 EP in mine and change it very rarely, like over 10K easily. It comes out looking like it went in, practically, and my engine burns nothing.

However, I have never had it analyzed. Thumbs-up from me however.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      I use Mobil 1 10W-30 EP in mine and change it very rarely, like over 10K easily. It comes out looking like it went in, practically, and my engine burns nothing.

However, I have never had it analyzed. Thumbs-up from me however.
      That's great to hear! I am considering AMSOILing it to 20k and an oil analysis to see how it holds up with a Mobil1 AP filter which is also rated to 20k. It's winter so it is the roughest possible conditions for it through spring, and it will be a good test. At the rate I drive this should last me about 6-6.5 months.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 11-27-2019 at 01:09 AM.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Highway driving like that is much easier on the motor and oil than average. In that case, I think changing good synthetic oil every 5k is way overkill.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD automatic - Hilton stage 2+ with torque limit removal. Some mods: 3" DP & 2.5" catback, Do88 FMIC, Pumaspeed inlet plenum, ECU spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tame View Post
      Highway driving like that is much easier on the motor and oil than average. In that case, I think changing good synthetic oil every 5k is way overkill.
      +1 to that. I do want to see if there is a quantifiable way to see how long an oil change will last.

Back in my diesel days, I ran my 3gal of Rotella T6 for the manufacturer spec'd 15,000mi and Blackstone came back with another 2-3,000 on it (was about half the commute I am doing now).

My current commute is:
      1.8mi to HWY from Home
      51.5mi on HWY
      4.8mi HWY to Work
      58.1m total
      11.4% City
      88.6% Hwy (10% of the damage of city driving, so that's 8.86% city driving).
      Total City Driving - 11.4%+8.9% = 20.3%
      Means in terms of the 5,000mi city driving rating on a modern day motor oil, I am putting 1,015mi of wear on the oil with my current commute before I change it. You are right, way overkill.

If I convert this to AMSOIL recommended change intervals of 25,000mi, it means it could last up to 125,000 real world miles, but that'd be 3yrs 4mos, well beyond the 1 year change recommendation. So if I kept it in there for just 1 year from start to finish, it would in theory last my 40,000mi in just one go and I would just have to change the filter in July. I'd save about $330 on oil changes throughout the year.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 11-27-2019 at 07:48 AM.

+1 with Tom on Extended Oil Service , so long as it's staying clean , but I usually gave it a Marvel Rinse Out for the Last 100 miles ..

The Oil Guy over on Bob's Oil , U will see some Test , so might be able to Compare Avenger09123 , I know I have You name over in E-Mail , HeHe
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

LATEST - Oil Information

There is some New Information Out on ~ LSPI

O
      il Company have been placing Calcium and Sulfur in Oil to act as Lub & Detergents Aditives - under Extra High Pressure & Heat from Turbo's
      It has been Found that these Two Additives have been Making a Third Chemical - that Actually Lowers Octane leading to Pinging ..

This is Especially Important on Direction Injection Motors which are " Controlled Super Close " Timings and Injections some times with several short Duration Injection During 1 Compression Ignition Stroke . .

LSPI = Low Speed Pre Ignition and the Pings add up to Enough Damage to take out an Engine ..

A UK Racing Club as lost several engine to this Vary Nasty Items , Once they Changed Oil the LSPI went away . .

Oil Companies have been Quietly reducing the Calcium and Removed as much Sulfur as they able . . // so Modified Engines Running More Boost can suffer from LSPI . .

Magnesium-based detergents do not seem to promote LSPI and

Molybdenum compounds, for example, not only provide Frictional Benefits, but also have been shown to ~ Decrease LSPI

** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      There is some New Information Out on ~ LSPI

O
      il Company have been placing Calcium and Sulfur in Oil to act as Lub & Detergents Aditives - under Extra High Pressure & Heat from Turbo's
      It has been Found that these Two Additives have been Making a Third Chemical - that Actually Lowers Octane leading to Pinging ..

This is Especially Important on Direction Injection Motors which are " Controlled Super Close " Timings and Injections some times with several short Duration Injection During 1 Compression Ignition Stroke . .

LSPI = Low Speed Pre Ignition and the Pings add up to Enough Damage to take out an Engine ..

A UK Racing Club as lost several engine to this Vary Nasty Items , Once they Changed Oil the LSPI went away . .

Oil Companies have been Quietly reducing the Calcium and Removed as much Sulfur as they able . . // so Modified Engines Running More Boost can suffer from LSPI . .

Magnesium-based detergents do not seem to promote LSPI and

Molybdenum compounds, for example, not only provide Frictional Benefits, but also have been shown to ~ Decrease LSPI

Just read up on that a bit - interesting - seems to be limited to the leaner AFR's in GDI engines. Explains why there is a 2012 and Newer oil and some 0w-20 and 0w-16's and some others that specifically mention for newer engines only.

Yes, Mostly and Engines where the Injectors maybe Fired 3-5 times Per Ignition Cly . . Stroke & Engines Running more Compression ~

I see where some Turbo's are Now _ Coming On to Fast in the Lower RPM End for " Tuners " _ They are using ECU & Electronic Boost Controller to Move the Boost Curve
      High Up into Rev Range ~ getting Farther away from Stress on Rods ~ But also Avoiding LSPI

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements