Balto's Sonic SR rescue and repair adventure thread.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 10 of 10
    1. #1

      Balto's Sonic SR rescue and repair adventure thread.

      I wish I had posted this 3 weeks ago when I first got the car, but holy moley I did not think this would be such an interesting saga. Also, this is an SR post, so if you aren't a fan of SR's as I'm very aware some of you aren't, just look away now.

      So I got into a car accident about a month ago now (RIP my 04 SR), and almost immediately went into a hunt for a Sonic blue SR. I wanted one in auto (because of my back) with fairly low miles. It just so happens that a friend of mine just happened to know of a blue one that was rotting in the back of a lot, that the owner was asking WAY to much for. It only had 89,000 miles. Score. This is how we found her. Buried in some unknown lot left to rot.







      I had to save it. It is everything I was looking for. So we got the keys, and fired it up. Oh boy, every single issue a R could have.
      Misfire on 3/5 cylinders, only firing on 3/5. (3rd one sometimes wasn't firing, it was so bad).
      Transmission shift quality poor.
      Bad SAS.
      No communication with the DEM.

      Bought it anyway. No regrets.

      I drive it off, barely, now time for a bath (was on the way back to my buddies shop).





      Ah, much better. Now back to the shop.

      Now to dive into the issues. First off, we have the misfire. Ended up being bad coils, replaced them all with known good ones laying around the shop. Fixed it temporarily. Wtf. Further investigation resulted in the lovely discovery that on -every- single coil, the wiring about an inch before the plug the wires were melted together and shorting. Wiring replaced, problem gone. Awesome.

      I go to drive it, runes smooth. Awesome! To hell with the rest of the codes or the unknown oil quality. TIME FOR A PULL! Ut oh, first time over 5,000RPM. -NO OIL PRESSURE, STOP ENGINE-. FFS. Now WHAT. We (me and a couple buddies at the shop) thought that it was just bad oil. Changed oil. No metal stuff in the oil. Good news. Take the car for another spin. As soon as 5k RPM is reached. -NO OIL PRESSURE, STOP ENGINE-.... Sigh, come on engine, gimme a break. So the pan is pulled, sump seals replaced and oil pickup tube replaced, along with a timing belt and an OEM oil pump (just to be safe). Car fires up. Runes great, no more oil pressure issues. So WHAT caused the issue.... Well... I'll let the pictures below do the talking. This is what the Oil pump looked like when we took it apart. Ouch.





      No idea how the engine survived. But it did.

      Now, with the mechanical issues solved, the interior must be attended to. It was bad. Like real bad. Not the worst I have ever seen. But there was POTTING SOIL all over the place. And it smelled. EW.





      I really really really really really wanted Nordkap, and it just so happens my buddy had a whole set of Nordkap that's in pretty good shape! GOBI BE GOOOONE!!!!!







      With the interior done and nice (well, good enough). I could start daily driving it. So I did! I also added some little interior goodies like the Viva silver knobs and the IPD door locks/little rings that go around the door locks. Lookin good!





      So that's where the car is at right now. (Washed the mats and put them in the car from the Gobi interior until I can get black all weather mats).

      Currently it needs.
      -New front seats. My current ones are hard and hurt my back a little because the old leather is hard from sun damage (I'm assuming).
      -AWD repair. Need to send the DEM out for repair, but as I don't currently have a spare, I'm stuck in FWD mode .
      -Front control arm replacement.
      -Valve body (like every other TF80 ever). 2-3 flares like crazy and just general wacky behavior with shifts.

      Planned upgrades:
      -Do88 intercooler swapped from my wrecked 04(other insurance still hasn't come to take a look at it so I can keep it, uhg).
      -IPD front/rear sway bars swapped from wrecked 04 car.
      -Snabb 3" catless downpipe.
      -Hilton Stage 2+ tune.

      Also, a HUGE shoutout to my buddies who helped me (well... did everything for me) with this car. My back is FUBAR from the accident (ntm my other 3 accidents) and I couldn't do anything myself with this car. I'm so happy to have such awesome friends who are willing to help bring a mans dream car to life.
      Last edited by BaltotheRolf; 11-27-2019 at 02:12 AM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Shameless first post.

      If anyone knows of a good paint shop I can trust to properly do the work in the SoCal area, please pipe up and let me know. It needs love to the front bumper, rear bumper, sideskirts and passenger door(someone took a crowbar to it).

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Idaho
      Posts
      308
      Glad you found another R, I personally love blue or red Rs with Gobi, but those seats were ugly.
      Maybe soak the new set in leatherique for a few days. See what happens, it keeps mine soft

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member NYR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      Long Island
      Posts
      1,560
      Cool story and nice R that you saved. Try xemodex for your dem repair. Their units are awesome. Also if you still have a bad smell in car an ozone generator works wonders.

      Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      IPD DP and Evolve Sport Exhaust, Snow Performance Methanol Progressive Kit,Unorthodox Racing Crank Pulley,SNABB Big Front Mount Kit, Eibach Springs,Elevate Rear Sway-Neutrall Setup,10 mm Spacers front & 15 mm Spacers rear, Sleeved block/forged pistons,Steve-O Tune w/snabb S4 intake kit, Hybrid Turbo, delrin bushings

    7. #5
      Quote Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
      Glad you found another R, I personally love blue or red Rs with Gobi, but those seats were ugly.
      Maybe soak the new set in leatherique for a few days. See what happens, it keeps mine soft
      I already tried it 😞. They are just sun damaged too badly.

      Quote Originally Posted by NYR View Post
      Cool story and nice R that you saved. Try xemodex for your dem repair. Their units are awesome. Also if you still have a bad smell in car an ozone generator works wonders.

      Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      Yea that's what everyone tells me to use. I have been considering autoecu as well. It's 5x cheaper, and right now I can't really afford 700$ just on the DEM repair when I can get it done for 130.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

      2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

    8. #6
      Does anyone know if Hilton is going to have a black Friday sale? I can't find anything online about it but did hear rumors.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

      2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

    9. #7
      I would do a complete stage 0 before doing anything else. Timing belt, serp belt, coils and plugs, thermostat/sensor, oil change , trans flush the hard way... I.E. remove bottom plugs catch it and replace what ya caught. Also my SR that I basically saved was having the same transmission issues, talked to a few good volvo techs and they said to use the Seafoam Hydratune transmission flush. I have done the seafoam stuff and it made a drastic difference. I'm doing flushes about every 500 miles with seafoam hydratune every other change until I get nice clean fluid. Currently on my 4th flush and its nearly cleared up completely.

    10. #8
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKirks_R View Post
      I would do a complete stage 0 before doing anything else. Timing belt, serp belt, coils and plugs, thermostat/sensor, oil change , trans flush the hard way... I.E. remove bottom plugs catch it and replace what ya caught. Also my SR that I basically saved was having the same transmission issues, talked to a few good volvo techs and they said to use the Seafoam Hydratune transmission flush. I have done the seafoam stuff and it made a drastic difference. I'm doing flushes about every 500 miles with seafoam hydratune every other change until I get nice clean fluid. Currently on my 4th flush and its nearly cleared up completely.
      Most already been done. This car has had so much love. PCV, plugs, coils (used ones off my 04 wrecked, but known good), timing belt, wp, oil pump, sump seals, oil pickup screen cleaned, trans fluid flushed, oil cooler seals, dipstick tube seal, coolant flush, air filter, MAF cleaning. It still needs a few small things like the trans flushed again, and the angle gear fluid changed, but other than that most everything else has been done.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

      2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

    11. #9
      Moderator The Driver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      Location
      Huntington, NY
      Posts
      3,577
      Quote Originally Posted by BaltotheRolf View Post
      Shameless first post.

      If anyone knows of a good paint shop I can trust to properly do the work in the SoCal area, please pipe up and let me know. It needs love to the front bumper, rear bumper, sideskirts and passenger door(someone took a crowbar to it).
      Negative on the shop but your front bumper has paint transfer (Which is a good thing!). All you have to do is clay bar and polish the front bumper, that white will come right off.
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

    12. #10
      Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by BaltotheRolf View Post
      Shameless first post.

      If anyone knows of a good paint shop I can trust to properly do the work in the SoCal area, please pipe up and let me know. It needs love to the front bumper, rear bumper, sideskirts and passenger door(someone took a crowbar to it).

      Negative on the shop but your front bumper has paint transfer (Which is a good thing!). All you have to do is clay bar and polish the front bumper, that white will come right off.
      Sadly it's much worse than that, it appears to me the bumper fell off at some point (and was kept from completely ripping off by the headlight wiper arm) and dragged the ground, resulting in a lot of material being removed from the lower right side of the bumper. In the meantime I do plan on getting the white paint removed. But it's all about finding someone to do it, though. My back is too messed up to do anything.

      Also, I may or may not have bought a S2+ from Hilton, and the insurance is finally coming to look at the car (which subsequently will be totaled out). So expect an update on Sunday(ish).
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

      2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

    13. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. 2008 V50 T5 rescue & repair
      By Gojira94 in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 12-30-2019, 08:31 PM
    2. SR Stereo adventure...
      By SRfredo in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 03-24-2019, 08:51 PM
    3. Rescue Tape to the rescue
      By Tommm in forum S80 (1998-2006)
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 08-17-2018, 06:52 PM
    4. Rescue Tape to the rescue
      By Tommm in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 08-15-2018, 11:35 AM
    5. 06 Sonic Sr progress thread
      By Tmac_R in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 01-15-2013, 12:19 AM