High Speed Debris Damage Question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

So I was driving on highway and High Winds were throwing debris everwhere. Some jackass lost heavy duty cardboard on opposite side of the highway and it was launched at my car due to winds. A Sadly, Dash Camera caught incident but median divider obscured source of debris.

Slowed down, thought I'd miss it, and winds kicked opposite direction, slamming thing into my car.

I know a cap goes here, but did it bust out the bumper or do i just need a new cap?
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 11-28-2019 at 11:30 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Pretty sure that is just a cover or cap tht covers where you screw in your tow hook in the event your vehicle needs to be winched out of a ditch or something. There should be a similar cap on the passenger side in the back that has the same function. I'm assuming your car is in the US market.
      2015.5 V60CC Savile Grey met, BLIS, heated front seats, convenience pkg, rubber mats
      2014 S60 T5 Premier Plus w/sport, xenons, BLIS, heated front seats, SCT w/nav (hers)
      2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (sold) 120,000+ miles
      2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan (sold) 160,000+ miles
      1996 Saab 900S (sold) 110,000+ miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AeroDan View Post
      Pretty sure that is just a cover or cap tht covers where you screw in your tow hook in the event your vehicle needs to be winched out of a ditch or something. There should be a similar cap on the passenger side in the back that has the same function. I'm assuming your car is in the US market.
      Should clarify a bit better. Look where arrow is at, and did it break this backing for this cover piece to be held in place securely?

cap.jpg
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 11-28-2019 at 11:15 AM.

I just looked it up, I don't think you could have avoided that. I looked up the part (tow eye cap cover in front bumper), I think you are OK, I don't see any clip or locking mechanism that broke on the picture you had posted. The following is the cover and it does not have anything at the bottom (white sticker)

2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Here is the link, not sure about the quality, and its not painted as well. verify whether it fits your model year

https://www.ebay.com/i/112633732364?...hoCCJcQAvD_BwE
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Sorry to hear but at least it wasn't a deer, drunk driver, metal garbage can, truck tire, plywood, etc. Yes a lot of jackasses on the road that don't secure or tie down their load. Still it sucks now that you have to buy a new piece out of pocket.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Sorry to hear but at least it wasn't a deer, drunk driver, metal garbage can, truck tire, plywood, etc. Yes a lot of jackasses on the road that don't secure or tie down their load. Still it sucks now that you have to buy a new piece out of pocket.
      I think everyone is right. I finally found a photo online and it appears the backing of my Eye Lid isn't missing any plastic. It's really damn cold outside, and I did a cursory inspection from hotel parking lot in the daytime, and nothing else looks damaged. I'll do a more thorough check when I'm home. Making sure nothing got cracked.

From picture I found online for comparative purposes, the plastic backing where the eye lid sits appears intact.

Bumper.pg.jpg

Yeah, just the cap... you can get cheap and cheerful from China on the big auction site for a few bucks... not sure whether they're knock-offs or quality rejects, mine had all the volvo logos, numbers and stamps on it and some flashing from the moulding that was very easily trimmed off with an Exacto knife... they come black, which doesn't really show against my dark blue from more than 10 feet away in most light, and I can't see it from where I sit anyway so I didn't get around to painting it yet, probably never will
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      I just looked it up, I don't think you could have avoided that. I looked up the part (tow eye cap cover in front bumper), I think you are OK, I don't see any clip or locking mechanism that broke on the picture you had posted. The following is the cover and it does not have anything at the bottom (white sticker)
      Can't find color code 492. Seems black is the only color?

Quote Originally Posted by Sysyphus61 View Post
      Yeah, just the cap... you can get cheap and cheerful from China on the big auction site for a few bucks... not sure whether they're knock-offs or quality rejects, mine had all the volvo logos, numbers and stamps on it and some flashing from the moulding that was very easily trimmed off with an Exacto knife... they come black, which doesn't really show against my dark blue from more than 10 feet away in most light, and I can't see it from where I sit anyway so I didn't get around to painting it yet, probably never will
      Probably chinese knock offs. I don't see any in color code 492. I was quoted at $60 for cap + paint from my preferred dealer. Going to still have insurance adjuster come out and check car per local Volvo's recommendation. Showed video to Service and Parts and both suggested I do so since bumper and car took one hell of a wack from debris.

You can't see in picture but I was going around 60 MPH and debris was launched from other side of highway median with winds of around 40-50 MPH.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements