Luxury Volvo vs. Volvo Safety? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      And that price is WITH a Volvo factory in South Carolina, which should carve about 3% out of the MSRP (import tariffs).
      She skipped a crucial element in her economic analysis though; purchasing power - it has declined for most. Wages and salaries for >80% of American consumers have been flat, and in some cases declined, once factored for inflation and all the new taxes we pay. Which is a shame. But I won't get on soapbox about socio-political economic strata and the harm it is beginning to cause.
      Good point and I don't disagree. I did say 'simply adjusted' and these are the sorts of issues that the simple adjustments ignore (no, I didn't think of that one when I said it.) For us it's not an issue, though, so an XC60 is likely still in our future.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

purchasing power - it has declined for most. Wages and salaries for >80% of American consumers have been flat, and in some cases declined, once factored for inflation and all the new taxes we pay. Which is a shame. But I won't get on soapbox about socio-political economic strata and the harm it is beginning to cause.
      Oh so very true, thanks to caring, dedicated senators and representatives writing and voting for tax laws that honestly look out for those who matter most to them . . .
      Last edited by likeXC90; 12-11-2019 at 05:28 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

As the EVA initiative has shown, Volvo has a vast database of actual accidents that Volvo collects at the scene of actual accidents in Sweden. Volvo investigators often beat the first responders at these accidents. Volvo then duplicates these real world accidents at their safety center, and builds their cars accordingly. Volvo does not build their cars to just pass a few simplistic crash tests that the crash test agencies do. The Small Overlap crash test, the test that all car makes have had trouble with, including Tesla, proves this. When the IIHS sprung this test on the automotive world, only Volvo had a 100% 'good' score on all it's models -- from the start!

And Volvo's EVA initiative is moving forward rapidly to address the disparity in female injury and deaths compared with male counterparts. Women are 71% more likely to be injured in a crash, and 17% more likely to be killed. All that crash data from real world accident that Volvo has? It's being offered to all other car makers so they too can improve safety for female passengers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MSiSWl10VM

And here's something for Tesla partisans, as well. .... The Volvo XC60 does better in electronic stability control than the Model X. The XC60 passes at 77 kph, and the Model X fails at 72 kph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_H4zhjLe60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv9Oo5TMiWw

The NHTSA rollover test is a silly test where a car is pushed sideways, with no forward motion, into a sand pit. It does not test electronic stability control.

I looked for the XC90 test as well, but this group has not tested an XC90 yet.

Yes, the gap in safety is being closed on Volvo, but that's because all the other makes are coming from so far down. It's really hard to get near to where Volvo is in safety.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

"Predictions are really hard, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

And that price is WITH a Volvo factory in South Carolina, which should carve about 3% out of the MSRP (import tariffs).
      They only make the S60 down in SC currently. The XC60 skips the tariffs from China but it's still shipping in from Europe. Also, I imagine that any manufacturer sort of balances out the fleet. Rob some of Peter (S60) to pay for Paul (S90)... though in that case, take a look at the rebate differences and you'll see where a good chunk of the balance is happening as well.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2