Blinded By The Light
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Blinded By The Light

The dipped headlights on my V50 are set so low that I'm blinded by oncoming women in SUV's with their auto high beam headlights that do not dip until they are on top of me. There is a lever underneath for self leveling but the pivot point is rusted and the plastic arm is just hanging down.
      Is there any worthwhile adjustment I can do, the main beam is just fine.
      Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Pictures Required , Pull the Entire Head Light those come out easy ~
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      Pictures Required , Pull the Entire Head Light those come out easy ~
      Thanks for the reply
      I have removed the assembly before to change a bulb.
      There looks to be 2 adjusting screws, the upper one with a white plastic cover and a lower one, which one is for
      vertical adjustment and is it clockwise or anti to elevate?
      Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

What Getting Lazy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Combover View Post
      Thanks for the reply
      I have removed the assembly before to change a bulb.
      There looks to be 2 adjusting screws, the upper one with a white plastic cover and a lower one, which one is for
      vertical adjustment and is it clockwise or anti to elevate?
      Thanks

What Getting Lazy ? No Pictures ?

Not shinning it on Building , What's Up ?
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

It seems that the vertical adjustment is the lower of the 2 and has a white plastic hexagon requiring a socket wrench or a hex key, which should I use and which way should I turn?
      Thanks
      Sorry no pictures, too cold.

Haaa, Ha But Your Outside Adjusting Heads Lights - this is Great Fun
      Over in the Stickies are the Owners Instructions

Thanks EngTech for the replies, are all your 8000 plus posts so derisive and why on earth would you need a picture?

Thanks EngTech for the replies, are all your 8000 plus posts so derisive and why on earth would you need a picture?
      He adds color to his text normally. he must be in a good mood :-P

I would go through the DIY stickies first. You can pull pictures out of there and highlight what you need, reupload them to a hosting site like IMGUR or Reddit and link them back with your questions. People here are visual people by and large and by the book.
      Not doing it against a wall on a relatively flat surface is asking for issues though. These headlights suck normally, and their adjustment plastic bits are stupidly easy to break off so be careful.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

The outer plastic adjustment screws are all intact and not damaged and turn freely, either the threads inside are very fine or there is internal damage because nothing appears to change after a couple of turns. I'll go back and crank some more.

Pull the headlights and inspect. The white plastic screws are 90 degrees to the actual adjusters, which have larger hex sockets. Use those, very carefully.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Rather You need to post , some Picture or Your a Fake or a Bot , or Worst ~ same on Ebay If You havn't Sold 3-4 Items and Bought 27 Items , You have "No Credibility"

I don't Aim this at Just You , it's all 20-30-60 -100 poster's that Have - No ID , No Pictures , No Story , No BIO - it looks like a Bunch of Fakes , It was Never this Bad before on SS
      It seems to have Gotten Worst is All ~ That said - it seems to have " Gotten Worst everywhere ! "

Once anyone has some Credibility ( No Question ) Goes Un Answered ~ Thank You
      Last edited by EngTech; 12-01-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Please keep it to the cars here, ok? [moderator hat off]
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

see below. thats my lamp with white adjusters sheered off - that happens a lot, so you are left with black cogs that are usually still intact and possible to adjust with allan key (2 different sizes!, dunno why).
      I would recommend inspecting them and try to do adjustments only on those.
      H=horizontal
      V=Vertical

if you turn them directly, and still nothing happens - its possible inside mechanism is snapped off, happens aswell. sometimes it just pop put off the socket, sometimes it breaks. Open the headlamp, start turning on vertical adjustment and observe iw whole mirror housing is moving.
      fingers crossed

hv.jpg
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Thanks all,
      all is intact and moves easily, I'm guessing the white plastic adjuster is used in situ with a socket extension?
      I did not turn the 6mm socket too many turns, I found no information other than a mention of 2 revs for correcting their lights, which made no difference for me.
      I'll whip out the a headlight assy later, bring it into the warm, remove the bi xenon cover and see what is going on, if anything.

I'm guessing the white plastic adjuster is used in situ with a socket extension?
      Well it's mostly useless as an adjuster so my guess is it's an indicator for some kind of automated factory process. It does sometimes work as an adjuster. Except when it doesn't.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Thanks Lizard, as you suggested I removed the assy and turned the vertical adjustment and noted there was movement in the reflector. I replaced it and started the engine, here in Canada the bi-xenons are the running lights and cannot be switched off, but is is too sunny to make an accurate evaluation.
      I have also read that the lights need to be adjusted by a Volvo mechanic with a computer? There is a motor that looks connected to the reflector that could of the stepping variety which could perform the task.
      What if I adjust the lights manually, is it possible that the on board computer re adjusts the reflectors on starting the car?

Thanks Lizard, as you suggested I removed the assy and turned the vertical adjustment and noted there was movement in the reflector. I replaced it and started the engine, here in Canada the bi-xenons are the running lights and cannot be switched off, but is is too sunny to make an accurate evaluation.
      I have also read that the lights need to be adjusted by a Volvo mechanic with a computer? There is a motor that looks connected to the reflector that could of the stepping variety which could perform the task.
      What if I adjust the lights manually, is it possible that the on board computer re adjusts the reflectors on starting the car?
      with bixenons its a bit more complicated - you can set them up manually at certain degree, but if calibration is off, it will always aim incorrectly based on sensor/software wrong data. So yes, the computer will always try to calibrate itself on every startup, mbut if you manually raise them via adjusters it should help anyway, software doesnt know if adjuster is turned - it only position the projector based on axis value.
      Its true you need Vida to calibrate them, you can do it yourself if you have access to it or go to dealer. Did you observe lights doing "up-down" routine on startup? it should do it as self calibration process.
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

There it is the Lizard of - "Boom" There It Is

I Keep forgetting How Old these Car are getting U all are running into many New and Un_Explored area's where many have not gone ~ Plus some of Our Stickies Got Toasted due to
      Photobucket Shell ~ we say . . so My Bad . .

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      see below. thats my lamp with white adjusters sheered off - that happens a lot, so you are left with black cogs that are usually still intact and possible to adjust with allan key (2 different sizes!, dunno why).
      I would recommend inspecting them and try to do adjustments only on those.
      H=horizontal
      V=Vertical

if you turn them directly, and still nothing happens - its possible inside mechanism is snapped off, happens aswell. sometimes it just pop put off the socket, sometimes it breaks. Open the headlamp, start turning on vertical adjustment and observe iw whole mirror housing is moving.
      fingers crossed

hv.jpg
      Last edited by EngTech; 12-02-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      There it is the Lizard of - [I][B] "Boom" There It Is

I'm blinded by oncoming women in SUV's
      Why do you assume they're women, since I doubt you can see them if you are "blinded"?

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Why do you assume they're women, since I doubt you can see them if you are "blinded"?
      Experian+Aston Martin+MotorTrend released a report that stated men are more likely to buy foreign luxury or pickups and women are more likely to buy SUV's. Since then numerous agencies have conducted their own studies on the stats and arrived at the same conclusion. It is more likely than not that a woman is driving it, if it is a newer 2010+ and the first owner. None of the studies discuss older or 2nd owner cars and surveys only go back to 2010, trending growth since then to 2016, so there are some gaps, but even Ford has published info on why they're upping SUV production - because they're being industry driven by women's purchasing choices.

I just use gender neutral pronouns like idiot, of which I have been many times in my life.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Picking up the kids from school is the worst time of the day in the winter and this chore is generally left to the women, also women are the most aggressive drivers.
      My brother in the London tries to avoid driving during the school run.

Picking up the kids from school is the worst time of the day in the winter and this chore is generally left to the women, also women are the most aggressive drivers.
      My brother in the London tries to avoid driving during the school run.
      Dang, my wife has it good. I do the drop off and pickups every day :-P

It's probably a better assumption that most S40 drivers are women, since it was a #1 female-purchased car at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      Thanks Lizard, I adjusted both lights and there is a definite improvement, the drivers side bulb was so low that a shadow was cast on the road, probably from within the lamp housing. My adjustment was rough and ready but they are not too high.
      Also, when I start the car there is a quick flashing of the head lights but it seems too fast to be self leveling? I park in my drive facing 2 garbage bins so it is difficult to see what is going on.

Thanks Lizard, I adjusted both lights and there is a definite improvement, the drivers side bulb was so low that a shadow was cast on the road, probably from within the lamp housing. My adjustment was rough and ready but they are not too high.
      Also, when I start the car there is a quick flashing of the head lights but it seems too fast to be self leveling? I park in my drive facing 2 garbage bins so it is difficult to see what is going on.
      Flashing?
      Cant say I understand what you mean. Do you start car with lights on pos 0 or 2? Maybe its because of delay (try to put ignition in pos 2 so all systems active before starter and see if lights come on with delay - it should)

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements