Volvo Class Action Lawsuit: Android Users Were Scammed by Sensus Compatibility Tout
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Volvo Class Action Lawsuit: Android Users Were Scammed by Sensus Compatibility Tout

November 24, 2019 — A Volvo Android Auto lawsuit alleges XC90 owners and lessees cannot use the Sensus systems with Android Auto because the systems are incompatible.

According to the class action lawsuit, 2016-2017 Volvo XC90 SUVs were marketed and sold as offering in-vehicle technology called Sensus that worked with the popular Google Android Auto. This would enable the XC90 driver to integrate their phone with the Sensus system in the Volvo.

Android Auto is marketed as a smartphone application for Google Android cell phones, designed to work seamlessly with the display screen of the Google Android user’s vehicle. This allows users to control their smartphones through the car’s touchscreen displays, the steering wheel buttons and by voice commands.

The two plaintiffs who filed the lawsuit allege Volvo falsely represented the systems were compatible even though the automaker knew it wasn't possible.

The class action alleges XC90 owners were led to believe Android Auto was standard and included in all SUVs. But the plaintiffs claim Volvo should have warned XC90 customers that Android Auto would only become available years after selling the vehicles.

When customers complained, Volvo allegedly spent a few years saying Android Auto wasn't compatible with the Sensus systems even though advertising materials said otherwise.

However, Volvo was sued in 2017 and only then did the automaker make available something called a “USB Installation Kit” that could make the non-compatible Volvo XC90s compatible with Android Auto.

But Volvo allegedly never informed XC90 customers about the installation kits, and those customers who did learn about it were told they would need to pay out-of-pocket for parts and labor.

The USB installation kit is described by the automaker as something that “makes it possible to connect cellular phones that are capable of supporting Android Auto to the Sensus systems in XC90 vehicles.”

The plaintiffs say the XC90 installation kits require mechanics to perform the installations that contain 50 steps, then mechanics are told to “reinstall the removed parts in reverse order” once the 50th step is reached.

According to the lawsuit, the USB kit installation requires:

"[R]emoving panels from the car’s interior, removing the entire passenger side floor, rewiring various components of the vehicle’s electronics, and downloading software through a platform called 'VIDA,' which appears to be a paid subscription service offered by Volvo only for 'trained technicians' that enables them to perform repairs on Volvo vehicles."

The plaintiffs also claim an XC90 owner is stuck paying hundreds of dollars for the kit and more than $1,000 total in parts and labor for the installation.

The Volvo Android Auto lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey - Levine, et al., v. Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, et al.

The plaintiffs are represented by Lowey Dannenberg, and Shapiro Haber & Urmy.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The kit is installed at no cost to the owner. So good luck with that.

And who cares what is involved in installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post

100% agree. As far as I understand Volvo offered the Android Auto / Car Play upgrade at no cost. I have a 2016 XC90 and purchased with the understanding that once AA / Car Play would be available I would get it. After the kit was available I called Volvo, they asked me where I had my vehicle serviced, and they arranged to have the kit installed at my service centre at no cost to me.

AA and Car Play work perfectly fine for me.
      '20 XC90 T8 Inscription - Full Load, Denim Blue on Amber
      '16 XC90 T8 Inscription - Full Load, Crystal White on Charcoal (gone)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I’m little lost here
      What’s the connection between November 24th,2019 and the year they were sued “2017”

What’s the source of this information if you don’t mind sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember this, the plaintiff’s are absolutely right and I believe they will win the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
      I’m little lost here
      What’s the connection between November 24th,2019 and the year they were sued “2017”

What’s the source of this information if you don’t mind sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      This is a separate legal action from the 2017 case, which is related but wholly different.
      The 2017 case was a single plaintiff. This is a class action suit. Far deeper reaching ramifications and possible penalties if the ruling is unfavorable for Volvo.

Source:
      https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...uit-xc90.shtml

2017 case:
      https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
      100% agree. As far as I understand Volvo offered the Android Auto / Car Play upgrade at no cost. .

Are you sure that message and no-cost service was carried over to every dealer? I would believe the one of fundamental basis for this class action was that in fact some consumers did in fact have to pay for the kit or installation, or both. I would imagine 2nd owners for instance who bought the car pre-owned were not told by the dealership that this part and service were free.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post

100% agree. As far as I understand Volvo offered the Android Auto / Car Play upgrade at no cost. .

Are you sure that message and no-cost service was carried over to every dealer? I would believe the one of fundamental basis for this class action was that in fact some consumers did in fact have to pay for the kit or installation, or both. I would imagine 2nd owners for instance who bought the car pre-owned were not told by the dealership that this part and service were free.
      There is a TJ for it, which all dealers have access to. Maybe someone didn't see it and tried to charge. That would be between the customer and that dealer then.

Up to 95,354 XC90 owners of MY16 may not qualify for the class since Volvo offered a solution via TJ which says:
      1. Should a customer request to have this functionality added to their car, it can be added at no cost to them by following the instructions under Service.
      2. Warranty Notes:
      - Only the vehicles in the range specified above can have the hub installation claimed under warranty.
      Model Year: 2016
      Chassis: 0000000-0095354;
      Structure Week: 201505-201616
      - Reference this TJ in the claim text for appropriate processing.
      - This upgrade should only be installed if requested by a customer.

Customer should make the request through the dealer and VCNA for the free upgrade once requested by the original or second owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 12-08-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Clarification Request by Owner of MY16
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      I don't know if every dealer was aware. I don't even know if my dealer knew. I called Volvo Corporate (Canada in my case) and they dealt with the dealer. It was a painless call. (Side note - all my calls to Volvo Corporate have been painless but not the point of this thread). From what I understood the free kit and installation was for original owners that bought the car with the understanding that AA / Car Play would be provided once it became available.

As a 2nd owner I don't see why you would expect anything from Volvo? Unless the dealer sold it to you on the basis that you would get AA / Car Play at a later date for free. If you bought on that premise then that is between you and the dealer. Volvo would not have anything to do with it.
      '20 XC90 T8 Inscription - Full Load, Denim Blue on Amber
      '16 XC90 T8 Inscription - Full Load, Crystal White on Charcoal (gone)

I don't understand this. The problem is resolved. If an owner wants AA installed, a Volvo dealer will do it at no cost.

I get it .. there may have been customers who wanted it installed but dealers charged them -- that's no good, and they should be refunded.

So it appears this issue is closed. Why a 2019 class action? So lawyers can profit?

As a 2nd owner I don't see why you would expect anything from Volvo? Unless the dealer sold it to you on the basis that you would get AA / Car Play at a later date for free. If you bought on that premise then that is between you and the dealer. Volvo would not have anything to do with it.
      Yes, I'm referring to consumers who bought their pre-owned XC90's from a Volvo dealer.

According to the dealer, our 2016 is not eligible for the update because it does not have the USB hub.

Call Volvo Customer Care and have them contact your service center.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

I bought the '16 with the dealership's promise that AA would be available in a couple months via a simple software update however that turned out to be false. When I called corporate they simply offered me a full refund if I wanted to buy a brand new iPhone of my choice. I bought the most expensive iPhone that was out at the time, sent them the bill, and they reimbursed me in full to the tune of $950. I didn't want my brand new vehicle ripped apart to install the missing components so it was a win win imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo_Tech_NWI View Post
      I bought the '16 with the dealership's promise that AA would be available in a couple months via a simple software update however that turned out to be false. When I called corporate they simply offered me a full refund if I wanted to buy a brand new iPhone of my choice. I bought the most expensive iPhone that was out at the time, sent them the bill, and they reimbursed me in full to the tune of $950. I didn't want my brand new vehicle ripped apart to install the missing components so it was a win win imo.
      Not a bad outcome. Plus you still get to be part of the class action suit, and if the outcome is favorable, probably get a whopping check for $84.23! Win win win for you.

LOL ikr? I'm pretty sure we didn't have to sign any legally binding document when I got my refund so I'll prolly jump on the bandwagon for the simple reason that I don't want the lawyers to end up with everything. I'm guessing it will be more than $100 but then again who knows. My brother joined the Audi oil burning class a few years back and ended up getting like $4k, and he didn't even own the car anymore by the time a settlement was reached.

LOL ikr? I'm pretty sure we didn't have to sign any legally binding document when I got my refund so I'll prolly jump on the bandwagon for the simple reason that I don't want the lawyers to end up with everything. I'm guessing it will be more than $100 but then again who knows. My brother joined the Audi oil burning class a few years back and ended up getting like $4k, and he didn't even own the car anymore by the time a settlement was reached.
      I think some lawyer just woke up from a coma cause this ship has sailed.

the problem is the kit is so sensitive to specific cables that Android Auto wont connect a 3rd of the time until you turn off the car and back on. but when it does work it is dreamy with on screen Waze.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Did they install Apple Car Play for you?

I had mine installed at no cost too. It did take some time to explain the dealer that the upgrade was possible. And I had to wait quite some time for the communication between Volvo USa and dealer to be established. Most dealer do not know the kit even exist.

I think the next class action lawsuit should be about the piston wear debacle...

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
      I think the next class action lawsuit should be about the piston wear debacle...
      What's the backstory on this? I wasn't aware of piston issues with the new engines.

Not going to get into the whole piston ring thing here. There are plenty of discussions about that around.

If anyone is having trouble getting the dealer to install the USB hub, the TJ is 34222. Make sure you are in the chassis range first though. There are currently 1037 open TJs. Not everyone at the dealership has access to them and for those that do, we can't memorize them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
      it should just be called the drive-e debacle.

I remember when they first came out with this ****ter and said it was proven up to 450hp....I was like yeah, maybe for 5 minutes.

**** this thing cant even run reliably at 300 hp. leaky superchargers, crumbling plugs, exploding coolant lines.....It is a huge lump of **** Volvo can't get rid of fast enough and their only solution is to run it less by pairing it with as many batteries as possible while they run as fast as they can to all electric.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead1017 View Post
      Did they install Apple Car Play for you?
      No they didn't. The 2016 already came with Apple Carplay but not with Android auto hence why they offered to buy a new iPhone.

No they didn't. The 2016 already came with Apple Carplay but not with Android auto hence why they offered to buy a new iPhone.
      Actually, it is not accurate to say that MY16s came with Apple CarPlay. They did not - at least not initially.

During 2015 ordering, it was an option for $300 and it was not delivered until later in 2016 as I recall. I ordered my car on May 30, 2015 and it was delivered on Feb. 1, 2016. Apple CarPlay came available in late 2016.

Android Auto came almost two years later - I am thinking early 2018 when the dual USB kit was made available.

Of course, I am working off of memory so that my dates are estimates.

Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 12-05-2019 at 10:00 PM.

When you got apple CarPlay you also got Andoid Auto, it just would not work without the 2A usb port AA requires. Once the extra port was added you got AA. I believe there was a simple software download that was just a switch that got flicked, but the Smartphone connectivity application as volvo refers to was already there.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      When you got apple CarPlay you also got Andoid Auto, it just would not work without the 2A usb port AA requires. Once the extra port was added you got AA. I believe there was a simple software download that was just a switch that got flicked, but the Smartphone connectivity application as volvo refers to was already there.

To clarify, Android Auto was not installed with the original CarPlay installation with MY16s and MY17s with the single USB.

Once the dual USB kit was installed, then AA would appear alongside CarPlay.

If I understand @Inteller correctly, TSU and Service 2.0 updates are installed, the Android Auto icon is now appearing (albeit grayed out) with the single USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      To clarify, Android Auto was not installed with the original CarPlay installation with MY16s and MY17s with the single USB.

Once the dual USB kit was installed, then AA would appear alongside CarPlay.

If I understand @Inteller correctly, TSU and Service 2.0 updates are installed, the Android Auto icon is now appearing (albeit grayed out) with the single USB.

Yes it was installed, it was just not active nor did it have a greyed out icon. A supplementary update turned on the software already there with the smartphone application software.

2006 Passion Red S60R

The USB hub will be installed at no cost for applicable MY16 XC90s, regardless if it is the original owner or second owner, etc. The class action is groundless as Volvo will upgrade the affected MY16 XC90s at no cost.
      His: 2021 XC90 T8, Crystal white with Amber, 7 pass. Hers: 2020 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Osmium Gray, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2020 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum 6 passenger

I got Volvo NA to goodwill the install of AA to our 2016 that falls within the chassis range of the TJ. Had to be goodwilled because the factory warranty expired the day I bought it, but it’s still under CPO.

Quote Originally Posted by 392DCGC View Post
      I got Volvo NA to goodwill the install of AA to our 2016 that falls within the chassis range of the TJ. Had to be goodwilled because the factory warranty expired the day I bought it, but it’s still under CPO.
      It doesn't have to be under warranty.

If possible, the Lawsuit should be on the dealers who are trying to cheat customers by quoting a cost to do the upgrade even though they knew that this is a free upgrade from Volvo. If I wouldn't have read these threads and called VCNA before saying yes to the dealer, I would have been robbed of ~$600 by the greedy dealer.
      Our first Volvo - Optimus Prime - 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Onyx Black, HUD, Momentum+, Convenience, Vision, Climate, Pilot Assist II + Mitigation Upgrades + Jan 2020 Update

My Fuel Log for real life Optimus Prime fuel efficiency - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90...wdarygm/910536

Quote Originally Posted by chowdarygm View Post
      If possible, the Lawsuit should be on the dealers who are trying to cheat customers by quoting a cost to do the upgrade even though they knew that this is a free upgrade from Volvo. If I wouldn't have read these threads and called VCNA before saying yes to the dealer, I would have been robbed of ~$600 by the greedy dealer.
      And how do you know they knew? Most service advisors aren't checking TJs. So unless they had already dealt with one, if you call and talk to them about adding Android Auto, they wouldn't know it should be free.

So doesn't this show some sort of communication or training gap between Volvo and dealers. Is Volvo's job complete by just putting out a TJ and saying their work is done? When dealers are the front line between customer and Volvo, Volvo should do more than just putting out TJs and leaving to the dealers to know or implement them. If you say there are so many TJs out there to know all, at the least a TJ linked to a lawsuit should have been highlighted to dealers to not and try steal from the customers.

In my case, the sales person told that he talked to the technicians who looked it up in the system for compatibility and quoted me the price. Again, not sure who they really checked with but its getting frustrated that there are so many knowledge gaps at the dealers staff level and customer should do the research and educate the staff to get what they are entitled to get.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by chowdarygm; 12-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.
      Our first Volvo - Optimus Prime - 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Onyx Black, HUD, Momentum+, Convenience, Vision, Climate, Pilot Assist II + Mitigation Upgrades + Jan 2020 Update

My Fuel Log for real life Optimus Prime fuel efficiency - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90...wdarygm/910536

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast