SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Cars.com article on S60 headlights

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  v60ccfusionred 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Looking at the IIHS page of the 2019 vs the 2020, the 2020 headlights (post may 2019 manufacture) have a longer throw and less glare.

My car is a 2019 but was built 05/10/2019 (probably one of the last 2019s off the line) so I wonder which headlights I have....probably the older type. I'm going to guess "built after may" means the 2020 production starting in June

If the gov ever gets around to legalizing our active highbeam feature though it won't matter...but don't hold your hopes up for that

#4 ·
It's not surprising that they updated the headlights, I think it was recently (2018?) that IIHS started factoring minimum headlight performance into the "top safety" recommendation. Honda updated their Civic LED headlights to basically "ace the test" for 2019. Where they probably designed them to their own (crappy?) standards previously, now that it matters to the marketing dept. they are teaching to the test so to speak. Volvo probably evaluated the ratings, saw where they were lacking by IIHS test and made some subtle design changes to improve specific test performance. If the IIHS test is valid real world test, and it does seem so, it's a good thing, because there were some halogens and HIDs outperforming LEDs, especially high beams.

Sadly for us poor (LOL) people without the advance package, the fixed LED headlights don't get a great rating, but the way IIHS awards are given optional equipment basically qualifies the whole model range so there is no incentive to make them all great. I do agree with the IIHS that the auto high beams do make up for a lot by making it easy to use by just flipping the setting on. They work surprisingly well in the Volvo.

#7 ·
Maybe your aye sight got worse LOL?!. Just kidding but if you never adjusted the light on the Audi and with self leveling lights now on the new models you could have got them simply set to high. Giving you farther throw, and blinding people.

My opinion is LED all the way especially Europe style matrix LED that that no one offers in America due to legality right now.

#8 ·
The 2019 lights do lack a bit in the throw though, hence the 2020 revision which really do increase the throw pretty substantially per the IIHS testing.

#16 · (Edited)
On my 2008 535 the lights lower when going over crest every time. I thought on start up it is self testing and leveling. What we don't have here is the matrix cut out for vehicle in front and passing cars that actively works with the camera as that is prohibited by very some very old law.

Piece from an old article:

Self-leveling headlights are already required on new cars in Europe, and they're required on all U.S. cars equipped with bi-xenon headlights. Bi-xenon lights are so bright that they would blind other drivers if they didn't level themselves.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/adaptive-headlight1.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Does anyone know what the actual difference is between the pre and post May 2019 LED bending headlights.
Is it just the LED bulbs or is the headlight assembly also different.

Is it possible that the pre May 2019 could be made current just by changing the LED's ?

How could I find out if the Part Number of the current LED supersedes the part number of the previous LED ?

#18 ·
The LED's are integrated, not easily replaceable. You would have to swap the entire headlights and even then there's probably some programming involved. Not worth it at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.