Cars.com article on S60 headlights
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

https://www.cars.com/articles/lightb...lights-413981/

Does anyone know what changed on the headlights of cars built after May 2019?
      2019 S60 T5 R-Design Denim Blue

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not sure what changed but this was puzzling me when I did the My20 v90 setup on the Volvo site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the IIHS page of the 2019 vs the 2020, the 2020 headlights (post may 2019 manufacture) have a longer throw and less glare.

My car is a 2019 but was built 05/10/2019 (probably one of the last 2019s off the line) so I wonder which headlights I have....probably the older type. I'm going to guess "built after may" means the 2020 production starting in June

If the gov ever gets around to legalizing our active highbeam feature though it won't matter...but don't hold your hopes up for that
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It's not surprising that they updated the headlights, I think it was recently (2018?) that IIHS started factoring minimum headlight performance into the "top safety" recommendation. Honda updated their Civic LED headlights to basically "ace the test" for 2019. Where they probably designed them to their own (crappy?) standards previously, now that it matters to the marketing dept. they are teaching to the test so to speak. Volvo probably evaluated the ratings, saw where they were lacking by IIHS test and made some subtle design changes to improve specific test performance. If the IIHS test is valid real world test, and it does seem so, it's a good thing, because there were some halogens and HIDs outperforming LEDs, especially high beams.

Sadly for us poor (LOL) people without the advance package, the fixed LED headlights don't get a great rating, but the way IIHS awards are given optional equipment basically qualifies the whole model range so there is no incentive to make them all great. I do agree with the IIHS that the auto high beams do make up for a lot by making it easy to use by just flipping the setting on. They work surprisingly well in the Volvo.

I can say that the new headlights with the ABL and all the goodies are incredible. They light up the area very well. This is my 2020 v60 with brights on but not the fogs.
      Last edited by schmitty8225; 12-04-2019 at 10:21 PM.
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

I have a 2019 V60 with the bending LED headlights and they have very poor throw. Don't feel they light the road very far at all. My old Audi A6 with Xenon was fantastic, even after 12 years and some fogging still outperformed these new led lights.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoConvert View Post
      I have a 2019 V60 with the bending LED headlights and they have very poor throw. Don't feel they light the road very far at all. My old Audi A6 with Xenon was fantastic, even after 12 years and some fogging still outperformed these new led lights.
      Maybe your aye sight got worse LOL?!. Just kidding but if you never adjusted the light on the Audi and with self leveling lights now on the new models you could have got them simply set to high. Giving you farther throw, and blinding people.

My opinion is LED all the way especially Europe style matrix LED that that no one offers in America due to legality right now.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

The 2019 lights do lack a bit in the throw though, hence the 2020 revision which really do increase the throw pretty substantially per the IIHS testing.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

The Audi had self levelling lights, which the V60 does not have. That really helps on the hills.

The Audi had self levelling lights, which the V60 does not have. That really helps on the hills.
      I was told self leveling only adjust it self on start up itís not active, is that wrong?
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      I was told self leveling only adjust it self on start up itís not active, is that wrong?
      I believe that's correct in the volvo, it levels on start up to adjust for the load in the car but it doesn't adjust vertically while driving like on hills and such.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Maybe that is true, and it is just that I feel so blind going through a dip in the v60 as so little of the up slope ahead is illuminated.

This is not true. The Audi does not actively adjust up or down the headlamps, just as the Volvo does not. In fact I do not think there are ANY models in the USA with actively adjustable headlamps while you drive. This is internet folklore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      In the U.S., yes. In Europe, no.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoFaRmeR View Post
      This is not true. The Audi does not actively adjust up or down the headlamps, just as the Volvo does not. In fact I do not think there are ANY models in the USA with actively adjustable headlamps while you drive. This is internet folklore.
      You are correct. Only European cars have this feature.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

On my 2008 535 the lights lower when going over crest every time. I thought on start up it is self testing and leveling. What we donít have here is the matrix cut out for vehicle in front and passing cars that actively works with the camera as that is prohibited by very some very old law.

Piece from an old article:

Self-leveling headlights are already required on new cars in Europe, and they're required on all U.S. cars equipped with bi-xenon headlights. Bi-xenon lights are so bright that they would blind other drivers if they didn't level themselves.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/adaptive-headlight1.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by rkohou; 12-07-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Does anyone know what the actual difference is between the pre and post May 2019 LED bending headlights.
      Is it just the LED bulbs or is the headlight assembly also different.

Is it possible that the pre May 2019 could be made current just by changing the LED's ?

How could I find out if the Part Number of the current LED supersedes the part number of the previous LED ?

Quote Originally Posted by V60unicorn View Post
      Does anyone know what the actual difference is between the pre and post May 2019 LED bending headlights.
      Is it just the LED bulbs or is the headlight assembly also different.

Is it possible that the pre May 2019 could be made current just by changing the LED's ?

How could I find out if the Part Number of the current LED supersedes the part number of the previous LED ?

The LED's are integrated, not easily replaceable. You would have to swap the entire headlights and even then there's probably some programming involved. Not worth it at all.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

That's too bad. I hope I never have a headlight go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      In the U.S., yes. In Europe, no.
      Not sure about the Volvo, but my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee had active self leveling xenon headlights. You could see them adjust every time the front of the car dipped - even when braking. They also adjusted themselves every time the air suspension leveled itself.

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements