Auto Start-Stop
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Auto Start-Stop

Auto Start-Stop

Mine quit working after we returned in October having been gone all summer. It doesn't work even after 2 consecutive hourlong highway drives. The car sits all summer in our garage connected to a battery maintainer. Could it be that the maintainer doesn't charge the auto-start battery and that has damaged the it? Both batteries are now over 5 years old so maybe it's just time to replace them.
      The owner's manual is no help since the Drive-E engine is not included in my manual.
      2015 V60 T5 FWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS
      2019 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
      1970 Camaro, original owner

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very likely the battery. You can replace it but will need to have VIDA to reset Counters to Zero in CEM. There is no other way to reset it and if not done, SS may still not function and ECM will overcharge new battery and it will not last long, maybe 6 months to a year.

ALL Volvo Owners manuals https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/own...owners-manuals
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

Mine quit working last summer. Drilling down in the My Car menu showed that it was unavailable due to low voltage. I could put the car on a battery charger and it would work for a while and then stop working again. I was planning to bring it up at the 40K service but the battery died without further warning in August at the 39K mark. A new battery was installed and everything works well now.
      Current Volvo: 2016 S60 T5 Inscription w/Platinum package
      Previous Volvos: 1993 850 GLT (sold in 2016), 1984 240 DL Diesel (sold in 1993)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail View Post
      Mine quit working after we returned in October having been gone all summer. It doesn't work even after 2 consecutive hourlong highway drives. The car sits all summer in our garage connected to a battery maintainer. Could it be that the maintainer doesn't charge the auto-start battery and that has damaged the it? Both batteries are now over 5 years old so maybe it's just time to replace them.
      The owner's manual is no help since the Drive-E engine is not included in my manual.
      Is your battery maintainer also a desulfator?

Count your blessings!
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      Is your battery maintainer also a desulfator?
      Good question. I've never heard of it.

Good question. I've never heard of it.
      I use " BatteryMinder Plus" Model 12106.
      Charger/Maintainer.Desulfator.
      My 07' V70 still has the original battery.
      My 99' Kubota tractor battery lasted 15 years.
      I use it on our 18' V90CC.
      I connect it to cars any time they might not be used for a few days and can be left on indefinitely.
      Google it - your battery will thank you for it.

You should not use a desulfator for modern AGM batteries!

Gesendet von meinem BBF100-1 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wertzius View Post

Gesendet von meinem BBF100-1 mit Tapatalk
      Not true. I spoke to the mfg. of the BatteryMinder, but you do what you want.

for reference, interesting read on desulfating AGM batteries, posts 8-12, in particular.
      https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...attery.117494/
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Wagon, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by wertzius View Post
      Not true. I spoke to the mfg. of the BatteryMinder, but you do what you want.
      Really? The company that makes money if you buy their product says their product is good? I'm shocked.

While I'm skeptical of the need or even real ability to desulfate AGM batteries given their architecture, the evidence does suggest that the Battery Minder brand float chargers are perfectly good and safe for all batteries. I think they overplay the whole desulfation thing because they need a way to market themselves as different from the market leader (in the US) Battery Tender brand float chargers.

Honestly, any float charger is a good idea if your car is going to be sitting for a long time. Desulfation is, I think, largely just fancy marketing as far as AGM batteries are concerned.
      Last edited by zenmervolt; 12-02-2019 at 10:39 AM.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Emergency Dead Battery Jump Starter Pack

Different subject but being that my car sits in the cold for up to 2-3 days at times what's a good product to keep in the trunk in case it won't start ? A jump starter pack like a Wagan Tech, Weego or Anker ?

Thanks
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Different subject but being that my car sits in the cold for up to 2-3 days at times what's a good product to keep in the trunk in case it won't start ? A jump starter pack like a Wagan Tech, Weego or Anker ?

Thanks
      I still prefer an old fashioned set of jumper cables, but of the bands listed I'd go with Anker. They have a good reputation for their batteries and charge packs so I'd trust their jumper pack to hold a charge well and not explode.

My Drive-E T5 Start/Stop gave up the ghost too. Dealer said it was the dedicated start/stop battery (~$83 for the part online) and a thread I had on here had Tech state you can just replace it, no ECU programming necessary (that's for the main battery). I'm enjoying not having it active for most scenarios and also have an inkling that the feature itself will degrade an engine with unnecessary wear - based on no facts I'll admit (hence inkling).
      '15 V60 T5-E Sport

So those who hate this feature and want to permanently disable it can simply disconnect that other battery.
      Would that work?
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Jumper Packs or Glove Box Car Jump Starter

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      I still prefer an old fashioned set of jumper cables, but of the bands listed I'd go with Anker. They have a good reputation for their batteries and charge packs so I'd trust their jumper pack to hold a charge well and not explode.
      Have heard of incidents where they can explode which makes me want to skip the glove box jump starter but it sounds super convenient.

Really? The company that makes money if you buy their product says their product is good? I'm shocked.

While I'm skeptical of the need or even real ability to desulfate AGM batteries given their architecture, the evidence does suggest that the Battery Minder brand float chargers are perfectly good and safe for all batteries. I think they overplay the whole desulfation thing because they need a way to market themselves as different from the market leader (in the US) Battery Tender brand float chargers.

Honestly, any float charger is a good idea if your car is going to be sitting for a long time. Desulfation is, I think, largely just fancy marketing as far as AGM batteries are concerned.
      Tell that to my 07'V70 with original battery.
      Tell that to my Kubota battery. 15 years.
      I will let you know how long my AGM battery lasts.
      And besides, replacing your battery every 5 or so years is good for the economy. I thank you for contribution.

Tell that to my 07'V70 with original battery.
      Tell that to my Kubota battery. 15 years.
      I will let you know how long my AGM battery lasts.
      And besides, replacing your battery every 5 or so years is good for the economy. I thank you for contribution. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.swedespeed.com/images/smilies/partyrave.gif[/IMG]
      You realize that I was AGREEING with you that a float charger is a good idea, right? I get a decade plus out of my batteries too.

I just think the "desulfation" mode of the Battery Minder chargers is marketing BS for AGM batteries and that any good float charger will work just as well regardless of any special "desulfation" mode.

You realize that I was AGREEING with you that a float charger is a good idea, right? I get a decade plus out of my batteries too.

I just think the "desulfation" mode of the Battery Minder chargers is marketing BS for AGM batteries and that any good float charger will work just as well regardless of any special "desulfation" mode.
      I think float charger/ Desulfation is what makes them last. If you don't - that's your business.
      Battery Tender without desulfation costs the same as BatteryMinder with. So there goes that.

I think float charger/ Desulfation is what makes them last. If you don't - that's your business.
      Battery Tender without desulfation costs the same as BatteryMinder with. So there goes that.
      Given that "desulfation" is specifically defined as removing lead sulfate from the battery's plates and re-dissolving it into the liquid acid solution, I would love to hear how you think that happens in an AGM battery which has no liquid acid and different plate design than flooded batteries.

There just isn't a plausible mechanism for desulfation to work on an AGM battery.

Again, I think that Battery Minder makes good products that are perfectly safe for AGM batteries, but I think their desulfation claims are mostly marketing department inventions.

Any good float charger should be able to vastly extend battery life - case in point are my motorcycle buddies who don't use any float chargers and buy new batteries every 2-3 years as contrasted with folks like myself who do and see decade plus life from our motorcycle batteries. I've yet to see any consistent difference between my friends using Battery Minder brand and my friends using Battery Tender brand or Genuis brand float chargers. Any good brand will do.

It's also important to note the importance of operating climate on batteries. Heat kills batteries fast even when they're kept charged. Someone who lives in Arizona and sees 120 degree temperatures in the summer will never get super long battery life because that heat will kill the battery in a few years even with the use of the best maintainer on the market. Meanwhile someone in a mild climate like San Francisco will generally see long battery life no matter what they do because the thermal stress on the battery in a place like that is virtually nonexistent.

Given that "desulfation" is specifically defined as removing lead sulfate from the battery's plates and re-dissolving it into the liquid acid solution, I would love to hear how you think that happens in an AGM battery which has no liquid acid and different plate design than flooded batteries.

There just isn't a plausible mechanism for desulfation to work on an AGM battery.

Again, I think that Battery Minder makes good products that are perfectly safe for AGM batteries, but I think their desulfation claims are mostly marketing department inventions.

Any good float charger should be able to vastly extend battery life - case in point are my motorcycle buddies who don't use any float chargers and buy new batteries every 2-3 years as contrasted with folks like myself who do and see decade plus life from our motorcycle batteries. I've yet to see any consistent difference between my friends using Battery Minder brand and my friends using Battery Tender brand or Genuis brand float chargers. Any good brand will do.

It's also important to note the importance of operating climate on batteries. Heat kills batteries fast even when they're kept charged. Someone who lives in Arizona and sees 120 degree temperatures in the summer will never get super long battery life because that heat will kill the battery in a few years even with the use of the best maintainer on the market. Meanwhile someone in a mild climate like San Francisco will generally see long battery life no matter what they do because the thermal stress on the battery in a place like that is virtually nonexistent.
      Your right to think what you want. I C'ntCL.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post

Thanks
      Recently, another poster noted that the XC60 hatchback won't open if the battery is dead, thus preventing one from lifting the cover over the spare tire. So jumper cables stored in that area won't help you.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      So those who hate this feature and want to permanently disable it can simply disconnect that other battery.
      Would that work?
      It won’t work if you don’t have a second battery. At some point Volvo went to one large AGM battery and did away with the second battery. I’m not sure when the change was made or what models were changed when, but my 2016 S60 Inscription with Start/Stop only has one battery.
      Current Volvo: 2016 S60 T5 Inscription w/Platinum package
      Previous Volvos: 1993 850 GLT (sold in 2016), 1984 240 DL Diesel (sold in 1993)

For $83, I'll replace it if I can find a source that sells it at that price.

There's a decent chance that your start/stop isn't working because of your main battery. I have a 2015 V60 also. When I bought it in early 2018 with high miles, start/stop almost never worked. Then, after a few months it never worked. Then, 12-16 months after that, the main battery couldn't start the car anymore. I put a brand new main battery in and start/stop has worked ever since.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

There's a dedicated battery that handles start / stop. How do I know? They forgot to plug mine in! Anyway, if this battery goes bad, then the system won't work. Have Volvo take a peak.

AGM charging and sulfate buildup

Interesting that you bring this up as i have had similar experience with marine AGM's. AGM's do have a solution in them. however it is absorbed in the glass mat. In fact it is possible to de-sulfate them. You have to be very careful as they are sensitive to heat. They actually prefer a slightly lower voltage per cell as well. Check out the following site, you can find lots of info there and they have very good tech support
      ttps://www.chargingchargers.com/tutorials/battery-desulfation.html

For $83, I'll replace it if I can find a source that sells it at that price.
      In Lisle, IL (near Naperville). Not terribly far from Morris. Happy to deliver the next time I head to the Erienna Hunt Club.
      https://parts.volvocarslisle.com/a/V...GR-381768.html
      '15 V60 T5-E Sport

Quick Question. Do I need to disconnect both batteries when replacing either? Do I need to do anything with VIDA when replacing the start/stop battery?

auto stop start battery

First the car must always have a battery(dead or otherwise in the stop start terminal). It may not be years but rather driving habits. If you are in a stop and go commute, the battery is used more often. Ours failed recently after four years of mostly city driving. Cost to replace is about $400. We switched system off. Alert still appears on screen, but fades away after a few minutes. Volvo agreed to this feature with EPA for the 2016 models. Either 2107 or 2018 they allowed system to be turned off without error message. We have 2016 xc90.

The trunk is not the right place to keep the jumpstarter/jumpleads, at least not in the C70: I stupidly managed to totally flatten the battery one snowy day last year.... no worries, I thought, I have a jump starter in the trunk. Cant open the trunk because the battery is flat. No worries, I thought, I can use the blade key to unlock it manually. Unfortunately the manual unlock is situated on the front of the rear seat behind the driver, imagine behind the passengers calf... sadly, with the drivers seat in my normal position, almost fully back, there is not enough room to get the key into the keyhole, and when the battery is flat you can't move the seat.
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Sharper Image "Glove Box Car Jump Starter"

Quote Originally Posted by Sysyphus61 View Post
      The trunk is not the right place to keep the jumpstarter/jumpleads, at least not in the C70: I stupidly managed to totally flatten the battery one snowy day last year.... no worries, I thought, I have a jump starter in the trunk. Cant open the trunk because the battery is flat. No worries, I thought, I can use the blade key to unlock it manually. Unfortunately the manual unlock is situated on the front of the rear seat behind the driver, imagine behind the passengers calf... sadly, with the drivers seat in my normal position, almost fully back, there is not enough room to get the key into the keyhole, and when the battery is flat you can't move the seat.
      ouch, double whammy...you had a bad day...like Daniel Powter sang

Way back on another thread (Probably the interesting things you learned thread) someone posted this video on the emergency key fob if fob battery dies video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrXSI-2H3U

thanks for the warning on not storing cables or jump start devices in trunk. Has anyone seen the Sharper Image product ? Will it really work and hopefully not explode as it sits in the cupholder ?

"Bad Day" video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH476CxJxfg

We had to have the secondary battery changed, under warranty, a few months ago for the same reason.
      Rob

Small world. Say hello to Barry.

Actually the voltage of main battery and secondary battery can be displayed on a smartphone. I can read both with Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app for Android (or iPhone), as well as main battery's SoC (state of charge) and charging current, ASS will never work below 80-85%SoC. The real bonus is the exact oil level in the 4-cylinder VEA engine

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast