Is this axel ping?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Is this "Axel Ping"?

Just acquired a 2006 XC70 that I am cleaning up for my wife's grandmother to drive. Running through some minor repairs on the vehicle, but have never dealt with "Axel Ping" before. I have found a few videos that sound similar, but figured it would share the clunk that I am experiencing. Sound only happens when shifting from either Park to Reverse, or Drive to Reverse. Clunk is very metallic, and has a literally "tinny" ping to it.

video attached:

Additionally, I have a clunk from the steering while turning the wheel side to side while in park. Only happens when turning the wheel to the left.

Last edited by TFIVEM; 11-30-2019 at 06:50 PM.
      /+/ 2011 XC90 R-Design 3.2 AWD Electric Silver | Cratus Wheels
      /+/ 2010 XC60 R-Design T6 AWD Passion Red | PT | Cratus Wheels
      /o/ 2013 Subaru WRX | Built Hatch
      /// 2012 Ducati 848 EVO | Stealth Edition

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

To me that first one may just be general driveline lash on a 14 year old AWD car but it could be axle ping.

The second one sounds like play in the tie rods, either inner, outer or both.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

No that doesn't sound like axle ping to me. I only ever noticed it when accelerating from the stop or when applying the brakes.

How's the upper and lower engine mounts? If the top one is worn it will make a clunk on accel/decel as well as allow excess movement when shifting from park to drive. And making noise.
      2002 XC70 2.4T - "Orca"
      White/Sand(Beige)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
      No that doesn't sound like axle ping to me. I only ever noticed it when accelerating from the stop or when applying the brakes.

How's the upper and lower engine mounts? If the top one is worn it will make a clunk on accel/decel as well as allow excess movement when shifting from park to drive. And making noise.

The top engine mount was the very first thing I replaced. The bushing was completely worn out, and had tons of play. replacing it definitely cut down on a lot of the play with in the engine bay, but I might try and tackle the lower (getting hit with snow now, so ill be staying off the ground for the next few days)

I had found this very similar sound / video for an XC90. the OP states that the dealer greased the axel splines which silenced the noise. Might try that as well.
      /+/ 2011 XC90 R-Design 3.2 AWD Electric Silver | Cratus Wheels
      /+/ 2010 XC60 R-Design T6 AWD Passion Red | PT | Cratus Wheels
      /o/ 2013 Subaru WRX | Built Hatch
      /// 2012 Ducati 848 EVO | Stealth Edition

Quote Originally Posted by TFIVEM View Post
      The top engine mount was the very first thing I replaced. The bushing was completely worn out, and had tons of play. replacing it definitely cut down on a lot of the play with in the engine bay, but I might try and tackle the lower (getting hit with snow now, so ill be staying off the ground for the next few days)

I had found this very similar sound / video for an XC90. the OP states that the dealer greased the axel splines which silenced the noise. Might try that as well.
      It's hard to hear with the video you took. You hear the gear selector more than anything else. Still doesn't sound like it to me, but the car I had which had the problem was a manual so...
      2002 XC70 2.4T - "Orca"
      White/Sand(Beige)

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements