S90 pulls to the left
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

S90 pulls to the left

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this. Just purchased a CPO 2018 T6 S90. Dealership said car was aligned when the got it. They also said all pads and rotors were replaced (which I thought was weird at 12K miles). After doing some highway driving I noticed the car pulls left. Dealership said bring it back and they will recheck alignment. They said it was off, and they realigned.

Driving it home I noticed no difference at all...still pulls left. Called dealership and they said to drive it for a couple hundred miles and see if it goes away. That made no sense to me at all, so I'm bringing it to a private mechanic next week to diagnose.

Any idea what else would cause the car to pull left? Tires seem fine, although passenger rims were dinged up so previous owner probably smashed a curb or two.

Sorry for the long rant. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Some pulling is normal on certain road surfaces.

Most highways have a slight sideways grading to them in order to allow water to run off. This slight grading (angle), depending on your tires and their traction can show up as a slight sideways pull when traveling down the highway.

I'm not saying that there ISN'T something wrong with the car, but usually when we either buy a new car, or pick up a car after a major repair we are more sensitive to things that we otherwise weren't thinking about.

Does it pull like this going down smaller country roads at speed too? Try to find one you can at least get up to 45mph on.

Also, does the pull change at all depending on which lane on the highway you are on? If the left lane pulls a little to the left, the center lane is mostly neutral and the right lane pulls more to the right, that might be the reason right there.

If you can't eliminate the source of the issue here, definitely take it back to the dealership, or take it to an alternate one to check the work of the first dealer.

Thanks. Yes, gradient does alter how much it pulls left (more so in left lane), but you need to be in the far right lane in order for it to travel straight (when it should pull to the right).

Not convinced the dealership even did anything. My Volvo On Call app showed the car was started only once and ran for 2 minutes...so how did they bring it into the bay, do the alignment and bring it back outside in 2 minutes? When I mentioned that to the service rep he said the app must not have picked it up. Just sounds really fishy to me.

I'm going to bring it to a local mechanic I trust and see if he can diagnose the issue...then bring it back to Volvo.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

check tire pressure.
      On one of our cars I swapped Summer for Winter shoes and forgot to check pressure one front wheel. Once I got on the highway, car was pulling to the right...I thought about it..car was fine with Summer shoes but now is really bad... Checked pressure and right front had 5 psi less than left. Afte correcting this... back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      check tire pressure.
      On one of our cars I swapped Summer for Winter shoes and forgot to check pressure one front wheel. Once I got on the highway, car was pulling to the right...I thought about it..car was fine with Summer shoes but now is really bad... Checked pressure and right front had 5 psi less than left. Afte correcting this... back to normal
      Yeah, I thought of that too, but assuming they actually did an alignment, part of the alignment process is to check tire pressure...

...of course, I am not familiar with this dealer, so I don't know how scrupulous they are.

Well I think I figured out why the car pulls to the left. The tires the dealership sold it to me with are all different Pirellis.

Left front - Pirelli Scorpjon H rated
      Right front - Pirelli P Zero Nero W rated
      Rear tires - Pirelli P Zero V rated

You'd think they wouldn't do that with a CPO, but my bad for not checking. I'm sure they just tossed on whatever tires they had lying around.

Ridiculous.

Just curious....would having different tire models and speed ratings be considered a safety issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Gboujoukos View Post
      Well I think I figured out why the car pulls to the left. The tires the dealership sold it to me with are all different Pirellis.

You'd think they wouldn't do that with a CPO, but my bad for not checking. I'm sure they just tossed on whatever tires they had lying around.

Ridiculous.
      Yeah, that might explain it. A few years back my Mercedes E-class had a flat tire, and the dealership replaced the tire... But with a tire of different circumference!
      I didn't notice it in normal driving, but when braking hard it pulled violently to the left (side where the wrong tire was). Car had AWD, which does not like different wheel sizes, not sure how much that had to do with it.

So maybe check that also.

S90 pulls to the left

I’ll say YES on the type/model/brand. Speed rating -not sure. Get the car back and have them put the right shoes on. Also is the tread height different on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by rkohou; 12-11-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Ridiculous.
      Wow, that's terrible. I thought the new supposedly more stringent CPO process included verifying matching tires. I don't know if that's the cause of the car pulling but I would definitely bring it back to the dealer to get four matching tires. That's ridiculous.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Just curious....would having different tire models and speed ratings be considered a safety issue?
      Really? A Dealer sold you a car with mismatched tires?

What kind of a fly by night operation is this anyway.

I would consider that completely unacceptable.

And yes, it really can be a safety issue. Unequal traction across the wheels can result in unpredictable results, potentially up to and including spin-outs.

I would be on the phone to Volvo corporate. No dealership should be doing this.

This place seems like a real problem dealer and Volvo should know about it. In my decades of buying Volvo's and Saabs I've never come across anything like it.

Big oof.

People are making it out to be a bigger deal than it is here. It's not ideal. But it's not necessarily a serious safety concern.

Still, I would be surprised if the 130 point CPO inspection didn't include matching tire models and brands. I thought there was even a high tread depth requirement or something.

Edit: Here is the tire portion of the 130-point inspection. It does include all tires matching.

Last edited by matt1122; 12-11-2019 at 12:35 PM.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Thanks Matt. That's my real concern. What other things did they "miss" on the 130 point checklist.

Yes, tires do need to match for CPO. But like Matt said, it isn't as huge of a deal as it is being made to be.

Nonetheless, you bought a CPO car and should have matching tires.

What dealer is this?

Dealership was Lovering Volvo in Nashua, NH. I informed them that there were 3 different model tires on the car on Wednesday and they never replied. Like I said before, it isn't so much a safety issue as it's just a shady thing to do. Certainly won't be going back there again.

Dealership was Lovering Volvo in Nashua, NH. I informed them that there were 3 different model tires on the car on Wednesday and they never replied. Like I said before, it isn't so much a safety issue as it's just a shady thing to do. Certainly won't be going back there again.
      it is a safety issue.

I would reach out to Volvo Customer Care if you have the time. They should know the dealership did this.

I would also pursue the issue further with the dealership. It's not a huge issue, but you are going to likely have uneven wear, possible alignment issues, and more. It may cost you more money to drive the vehicle because of this.

Totally unacceptable IMO.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      it is a safety issue.
      I agree with this and totally disagree with those who are downplaying the issue.

Having different levels of traction on different tires due to different tread designs and rubber formulations will introduce unwanted torques on the car under acceleration and braking.

In most cases these will be small and even imperceptible, but in an emergency braking/manouvering condition this can be the difference between an accident and a near miss.

I consider this completely and totally unacceptable, and I hope this is just a matter of incompetence from the dealer, because if it was done on purpose, it is a real problem.

As a side note, if you ever need to get another opinion on the car than Loverings, I'd highly recommend Volvo of Westborough in Massachusetts. It seems like it might be close enough for you to get an opinion.

I have been very impressed with their honest frank approach and competitive prices on many types of service. (When I got my winter tires I bought on Tire Rack mounted and balanced they were actually cheaper than any of the area tire shops)

I have a long history of not trusting and avoiding car dealerships for anything but warranty work, but Volvo of Westborough is starting to change my mind on this subject.

Sales Mgr at Lovering called me back Saturday. He said he was going to see what happened and give me an update today, with the hope of being able to make things right. We'll see...

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements