'19 S90 T6 Maintenance
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

'19 S90 T6 Maintenance

Hey all, I've had my S90 for just about 6 months now and just broke 3200 miles on it. It just notified me that I should schedule a maintenance service which shocked me since it is so early. What is everyones experience for the first maintenance? I know I had some warranty stuff I planned on bringing up but I don't want to start burning my complimentary maintenances at 3k intervals when they are supposed to be 10k as advertised... Obviously I want to maintain the car though too so I'm going to do what I need to either way but was just shocked at so early of a notification.
      2005 Toyota 4Runner v8 4x4 Sport | Icon Stage 2 Suspension
      2019 S90 T6 Inscription | Black w/Blond Interior | ALL Packages | Polestar Performance

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You should follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. The time/mileage interval should start from the carís inservice date. I had the same thing happen on my car a few weeks after I took delivery. The dealer reset the reminder and you may want to have your dealer do the same. I was told that the car may have started the time count based upon the original PDI when the car was received by your dealer and not reset prior to the carís delivery to the customer.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvoís: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70, 98 V70 (twins to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      You should follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. The time/mileage interval should start from the carís inservice date. I had the same thing happen on my car a few weeks after I took delivery. The dealer reset the reminder and you may want to have your dealer do the same. I was told that the car may have started the time count based upon the original PDI when the car was received by your dealer and not reset prior to the carís delivery to the customer.
      Good to know, thanks! My S90 sat in the port in CA for a while before I had it shipped to the dealer I got it from. I think it came to the port approx. now so that would be 12 months ago and would make WAY more sense! Did you have to make an appointment for them to fix that or did you just stop in and ask them?
      2019 S90 T6 Inscription | Black w/Blond Interior | ALL Packages | Polestar Performance

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My MY 18 was built in late 17 and did the same thing. You can reset the service light yourself. 1) Ignition on but engine not running. 2) Press and hold down the cruise control minus button while starting the engine. 3) Orange service light should blink. 4) release the minus button.

Sitting in port doesn't matter but sitting on the lot does, since most dealers reset the service light when the PDI is done, around the time they receive the car. Sounds like sales didn't reset the service light at the time of sale, which is when your in service date is.

If you reset it, be sure to remember to take it for the 10k around the 1 year mark or 10k (whichever is earlier), since the car will not remind you at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey7722 View Post
      Good to know, thanks! My S90 sat in the port in CA for a while before I had it shipped to the dealer I got it from. I think it came to the port approx. now so that would be 12 months ago and would make WAY more sense! Did you have to make an appointment for them to fix that or did you just stop in and ask them?
      I stopped in at the dealer on my way to work.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvoís: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70, 98 V70 (twins to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Oil that has sat in a car for a long time is not magically free from deterioration just because the car hasnít sold yet. If the vehicle was built a year ago and just sold today, Iíd be demanding the dealer change the oil before I took delivery of it.

Yea unfortunately I'm not close to purchasing dealer so this may be an uphill battle for an oil change at no cost.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 392DCGC View Post
      Oil that has sat in a car for a long time is not magically free from deterioration just because the car hasn’t sold yet. If the vehicle was built a year ago and just sold today, I’d be demanding the dealer change the oil before I took delivery of it.
      That's a good way to waste oil in many cases, but demand away. Fact is, the in service date is what is used to determine the due date of the first service.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      That's a good way to waste oil in many cases, but demand away. Fact is, the in service date is what is used to determine the due date of the first service.
      Yeah, so dealers can get away with screwing customers. Fact is, if I were to let the oil sit in my car for a year without driving it, I'd still be expected to change the oil for warranty purposes at that year mark even if it weren't driven. But a car that sits on a dealer lot for a year unsold? Nah, she's good to go!

That's hardly screwing customers, but I'm not getting into this.

Since you guys are talking about maintenance.. what's the average cost of the first maintenance (for a V90CC or S90.. should be similar I guess) ?
      My first maintenance is due to be in Feb. (I have now 11k km.. and it's going to make one year in Feb.)
      Thanks!
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

Oil that has sat in a car for a long time is not magically free from deterioration just because the car hasnít sold yet. If the vehicle was built a year ago and just sold today, Iíd be demanding the dealer change the oil before I took delivery of it.
      In theory, the oil in synthetic shouldn't ever break down but the additives within in would be what needs to be replaced. If the oil is recommended to be changed after 1 year then that means the additives in the oil are no longer working and the oil is not up to manufacturer spec so it should be replaced. I would see what Castrol recommends as far as changing the oil for the Edge Professional.
      Tech, you are completing ignoring the main concern of the customer, which is the deterioration of the oil. The oil breaks down over time naturally, so it should be replaced. Resetting the service reminder means that oil or whatever services that should have been done with that reminder where performed. In essence you are doubling the amount of time between services if you are resetting the reminder without ever actually doing any work.
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

Quote Originally Posted by schmitty8225 View Post
      Oil that has sat in a car for a long time is not magically free from deterioration just because the car hasn’t sold yet. If the vehicle was built a year ago and just sold today, I’d be demanding the dealer change the oil before I took delivery of it.
      In theory, the oil in synthetic shouldn't ever break down but the additives within in would be what needs to be replaced. If the oil is recommended to be changed after 1 year then that means the additives in the oil are no longer working and the oil is not up to manufacturer spec so it should be replaced. I would see what Castrol recommends as far as changing the oil for the Edge Professional.
      Tech, you are completing ignoring the main concern of the customer, which is the deterioration of the oil. The oil breaks down over time naturally, so it should be replaced. Resetting the service reminder means that oil or whatever services that should have been done with that reminder where performed. In essence you are doubling the amount of time between services if you are resetting the reminder without ever actually doing any work.
      The first service is due one year after the in service date, NOT build date. It has been this way for decades and hasn't caused a problem. But feel free to make a big deal over it.
      Last edited by Tech; 12-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.

The first service is due one year after the in service date, NOT build date. It has been this way for decades and hasn't caused a problem. But feel free to make a big deal over it.
      So just reset the reminder to get it to back off and make sure that I do that first service at the 1yr in service date? Any reason to perform any service prior to 1yr? I know the purchasing dealership for the S90 recommended doing an oil change at 5k / 3-6month. I'm definitely going to hit the 1yr mark before 10k miles as I purchased 5/11/19 and as of today 12/11, I have 3407 miles in the 7 months. My previous (new purchase) vehicles (2003 and 2005 4runners) I would do an oil change at the 50% recommended interval to flush out anything from that initial break in period but not sure if thats warranted here.

I want to take it in for some warranty stuff anyway (front brakes squeal already, driver wiper blade has something wrong as it seems likes scratched the crap out of the windshield, etc).
      Last edited by smokey7722; 12-11-2019 at 02:39 PM.

So just reset the reminder to get it to back off and make sure that I do that first service at the 1yr in service date? Any reason to perform any service prior to 1yr? I know the purchasing dealership for the S90 recommended doing an oil change at 5k / 3-6month. I'm definitely going to hit the 1yr mark before 10k miles as I purchased 5/11/19 and as of today 12/11, I have 3407 miles in the 7 months. My previous (new purchase) vehicles (2003 and 2005 4runners) I would do an oil change at the 50% recommended interval to flush out anything from that initial break in period but not sure if thats warranted here.
      Sounds like time doesn't matter, just miles according to Tech. So if it takes 4 years to hit 10k just reset until you hit 10k.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

I've heard of some dealers recommending oil changes between the factory service intervals. That's really up to you but not necessary. It certainly won't hurt the car.

If you wanted to do it early, you could either use your free 10k service or pay for an oil change at this time. Just be sure to have the free 10k performed on time so you don't forfeit it.

I've heard of some dealers recommending oil changes between the factory service intervals. That's really up to you but not necessary. It certainly won't hurt the car.

If you wanted to do it early, you could either use your free 10k service or pay for an oil change at this time. Just be sure to have the free 10k performed on time so you don't forfeit it.
      Thats 10k/1yr from what I was reading right? Since the 10/20/30k services are for the first 3 years? So based on my low mileage I would end up going in for the 10k at around 5/11/20 if thats the case?

You can either do your 10k now, and then the 20k one year later and 30k one year after that, or do your 10k in May 2020 and the 20k May of 2021 and 30k in May of 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by schmitty8225 View Post
      Sounds like time doesn't matter, just miles according to Tech. So if it takes 4 years to hit 10k just reset until you hit 10k.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
      Just saw this snarky post. There is a difference between a car sitting on a ship and a transporter and a lot for 6 or 8 months with no mileage and a car being driven 2500 miles a year.

You can either do your 10k now, and then the 20k one year later and 30k one year after that, or do your 10k in May 2020 and the 20k May of 2021 and 30k in May of 2022.
      I didn't know you could do a 10k/1 yr service at 3,400 miles and 7 months.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      I didn't know you could do a 10k/1 yr service at 3,400 miles and 7 months.
      Early isn't a problem, late is.

Just the other day, someone on facespace was complaining that they were not getting as many engine hours of oil use on their T8 vs a T5 or T6. I tried to explain this is actually a good thing for T8 owners. Some people just donít like early I guess.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Thanks everyone for the discussion on this. Looks like I'll reset the indicator and then get the car in for only the warranty issues for now and wait until May '20 most likely for the 10k service.

Now to figure out how to reset the indicator as I've tried it a few times and couldn't get it to stick!

27. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements