S60 T6 500hp+
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 27 of 27

    Thread: S60 T6 500hp+

    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      38

      S60 T6 500hp+

      Anyone getting serious performance out of their s60 T6? I saw a limited release s60 from polestar that is 508hp. So thought I would check the forums and fish out who is doing what with s60 T6.



      Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2003
      Posts
      1,821
      https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...s60s-for-sale/

      I think I saw something about a relationship between K-Pax and Mahle for the engines, but can't find evidence of that now.

      Not a bolt-on, do-it-in-your garage deal, though.

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2015
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      195
      Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...s60s-for-sale/

      I think I saw something about a relationship between K-Pax and Mahle for the engines, but can't find evidence of that now.

      Not a bolt-on, do-it-in-your garage deal, though.
      Jay Leno’s garage is where you’ll find a video on it


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2015 Black V 60 RD K-Pax Racing edition #1 of #1 ???

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Posts
      595
      To be honest, I'm sure the engine with fairly untouched internals could be capable of some big numbers. The issue is the TF80SC garbage transmission. Look at thing the wrong way and it'll pop.

      If you notice, the polestar prototype had a different gearbox (manual).

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2015
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      195
      Quote Originally Posted by emgrock1 View Post
      To be honest, I'm sure the engine with fairly untouched internals could be capable of some big numbers. The issue is the TF80SC garbage transmission. Look at thing the wrong way and it'll pop.

      If you notice, the polestar prototype had a different gearbox (manual).

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      Agreed, I have taken my mods to the limit I feel comfortable with because of that. Tracking it tomorrow hope that Tranny holds up


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2015 Black V 60 RD K-Pax Racing edition #1 of #1 ???

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      17
      If the transmission is the only weak part, is it possible to upgrade the internal parts? Or is it possible to swap to a different transmission?

    9. #7
      Junior Member Magnus Cars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Location
      Williamsburg, Virginia.
      Posts
      308
      Quote Originally Posted by simmondsdt View Post
      If the transmission is the only weak part, is it possible to upgrade the internal parts? Or is it possible to swap to a different transmission?
      Swap would probably be the best option.

      Im guessing they used a m66 for the manual.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      Showing up at the track in mommy's old station wagon will not make you cool.
      Now 2011 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD Executive, Luxury Package. Multimedia Package. Premium Electric Silver/Soft Beige. 112K. (2011-)
      2011 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD. Climate Package. Rear Park Assist Camera. Technology Package. Exterior Styling Kit. Premium Electric Silver/Sandsoft Beige. 100K. (2011-)

      Then 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i. Sport Package. Climate Package. Convenience Package. Black/Dark Beige. (2005-2010)
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Premium Package. Versatility Package. Convenience Package. Climate Package. Titanium Gray Metallic/Light Taupe.(2005-2011)

      My Photography Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lomaarts/

    10. #8
      Junior Member EdVQ37's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Edmonton, AB, Canada
      Posts
      97
      I’m worried about my transmission a little...I’m around 400 ft.lbs of tq and its handled everything well so far but I think I’m at it’s limits. We shall see 😕

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      38
      I've been talking to Hilton tuning to fix the software issues with a manual conversion. Apparently they have heard of people talk about it but never successful. For instance would the bellhousing fit a b6304t with a m66 getrag

      Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      It's raining - must be near Seattle
      Posts
      576
      Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Cars View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by simmondsdt View Post
      If the transmission is the only weak part, is it possible to upgrade the internal parts? Or is it possible to swap to a different transmission?
      Swap would probably be the best option.

      Im guessing they used a m66 for the manual.
      An M66C based on this article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...-polestar/amp/

      Lots of custom work involved though.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      38
      I've done some crazy gearbox swaps on cars before so I'm up for the challenge. Like anything, research is king. So. I'm guessing the m66c is just a close ration m66. I'm going to guess also that it is not in any other road car.

      At this stage I'm thinking
      - bellhousing will need adapting from B5254t to fit B6304t
      - hope the s60 transfer case will fit m66
      - pedal box
      - hydraulic clutch setup
      - trick computer into thinking it's still an auto. (hiltons job with computer.)
      - clutch and flywheel.

      Sound like fun to me haha, have I missed anything.

      Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      It's raining - must be near Seattle
      Posts
      576
      Quote Originally Posted by Aza510 View Post
      I've done some crazy gearbox swaps on cars before so I'm up for the challenge. Like anything, research is king. So. I'm guessing the m66c is just a close ration m66. I'm going to guess also that it is not in any other road car.
      From what I've been able to dig up, the M66C is the variant of the M66 used in the S60R, so the transmission itself shouldn't be too difficult to source. The bigger problem I think would be getting the linkage and mounting points figured out and figuring out the powertrain management electronics since they never made an ECU for the SI6 T6 cars that expected a manual.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      38
      Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      From what I've been able to dig up, the M66C is the variant of the M66 used in the S60R, so the transmission itself shouldn't be too difficult to source. The bigger problem I think would be getting the linkage and mounting points figured out and figuring out the powertrain management electronics since they never made an ECU for the SI6 T6 cars that expected a manual.
      Yeah, this is true. I'm thinking I may have to find a car that is wrecking and use the s60 or s40 or v70r linkages. In Australia manual awd volvos in this era are like hens teeth. Good to know I can get hold of the m66c though.

      Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      38
      Wait... Im missing something pretty major aren't I. Wouldn't I have to match up the gearbox final drive with the diff ratio in the s60 P3?

      Or would the haldex system compensate for this difference?

      Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Aza510; 12-08-2019 at 09:02 AM.

    17. #15
      Even if the hardware can be made to fit, and the car can be made to run, I'm wondering if it would be possible to toss together parts like this with so much ECU involvement and oversight and be able to do so without throwing codes of any sort. Or if the increasingly stringent diagnostic portion of some states' inspections would pick up on the kind of ECU software tampering needed to make this work? Considering I've failed for reflashes that kept emissions controls intact, I'd worry that this would be too far out of spec to go unnoticed by the diagnostic scan.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      Overland Park, KS, USA
      Posts
      24
      Quote Originally Posted by Slachman View Post
      Agreed, I have taken my mods to the limit I feel comfortable with because of that. Tracking it tomorrow hope that Tranny holds up.
      How'd your transmission hold up?


      Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      Even if the hardware can be made to fit, and the car can be made to run, I'm wondering if it would be possible to toss together parts like this with so much ECU involvement and oversight and be able to do so without throwing codes of any sort. Or if the increasingly stringent diagnostic portion of some states' inspections would pick up on the kind of ECU software tampering needed to make this work? Considering I've failed for reflashes that kept emissions controls intact, I'd worry that this would be too far out of spec to go unnoticed by the diagnostic scan.
      Really great points. It seems like it could quickly turn into a black hole of expense, energy and frustration.

      As I've been preparing to get all of my mods installed, I've been trying to commit some time to research regarding the TF80SC auto, common failure points, and any potential improvement parts to build one. Haven't found a lot...other than the common reported failure points seem to be:
      - Torque convertor failure
      - Valve body failure (apparently the steel piston valves...used in place of traditional check valves...in it hollow-out their bores in the aluminum valve body)

      Oddly, I did stumble into one company that appears to be doing somewhat beefed-up builds of these transmissions. They don't call out Volvo specifically, but they address the TF80SC, and at least mention an improved torque convertor. I'd be curious what other changes they're making: https://spprecision.com/products/awf...sion-sale.html
      2015 V60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar tune
      Installed: Snabb MAF/air filter with Filterwears prefilter sock; Snabb intake pipe kit; Snabb charge pipe kit; do88 intercooler; Powerflex black torque arm bushing; IPD hi-flow downpipe; Elevate/KPAX cat-back exhaust
      Contemplating: Tune; Elevate intake manifold; modified turbo; suspension; wheels

    19. #17
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2003
      Posts
      1,821
      Interesting conversation, but are we solving a problem that really exists? Any evidence that the transmission really "pops"?

      The first tranny concern I would have would be overheating during track days, which can be addressed with a cooler. If you are talking about frequent drag racing, I'd think an auto trans would be much easier on the drivetrain than a manual.

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      38
      Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      Even if the hardware can be made to fit, and the car can be made to run, I'm wondering if it would be possible to toss together parts like this with so much ECU involvement and oversight and be able to do so without throwing codes of any sort. Or if the increasingly stringent diagnostic portion of some states' inspections would pick up on the kind of ECU software tampering needed to make this work? Considering I've failed for reflashes that kept emissions controls intact, I'd worry that this would be too far out of spec to go unnoticed by the diagnostic scan.
      Hilton tuning say they can fix the ecu issues with codes. I already spoke to them

      Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      38
      Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      Interesting conversation, but are we solving a problem that really exists? Any evidence that the transmission really "pops"?

      The first tranny concern I would have would be overheating during track days, which can be addressed with a cooler. If you are talking about frequent drag racing, I'd think an auto trans would be much easier on the drivetrain than a manual.
      I've been researching all of this with an open mind. Kt4 have said they have customers that have had failing autos however no pop bang just can't handle the torque. Kt4 have started work on a replacement auto box that can handle 600hp. I'm in Australia so I most likely will be hunting around the performance transmission shops to see what they say.

      I'm planning on running a gt3576 for 2 reasons, they are a super common turbo here in Australia as they came out std on FG Ford xr6 and have internal WG. Second reason is because the hot side is pretty much same size as polestar ran on 500hp project gt3171.

      Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

    22. #20
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      10,971
      Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      Interesting conversation, but are we solving a problem that really exists? Any evidence that the transmission really "pops"?
      IIRC one of the folks on the P* FB page with pretty extensive modifications has had to replace a transmission. The stock P* is already close to the torque limits of the TF80SC and the RD isn't really all that different. P* engineers tried to address this by softening the shift points in lower gears and it largely works - I have not read of any failures on non-modified P* cars. The transmission would definitely need to be addressed if one was to significantly modify the car.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    23. #21
      Junior Member moyni's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Greensboro, NC
      Posts
      334
      Quote Originally Posted by Aza510 View Post
      I've been researching all of this with an open mind. Kt4 have said they have customers that have had failing autos however no pop bang just can't handle the torque. Kt4 have started work on a replacement auto box that can handle 600hp. I'm in Australia so I most likely will be hunting around the performance transmission shops to see what they say.
      Ahh KT4, all talk and never any actual delivery. They were "working" on a manual swap too.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar Tune
      • H&R Lowering Springs
      • Elevate Sway Bar
      • Elevate Carbon Fibre Intake
      • Alexander Performance Turbo-back Exhaust
      • Hilton Stage 2+
      • Polestar Accessories

      1997 960 Wagon
      1996 850R Wagon - Sold

      Follow my builds at http://www.boostmoose.com

    24. #22
      Junior Member rallyr32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Posts
      104
      Quote Originally Posted by moyni View Post
      Ahh KT4, all talk and never any actual delivery. They were "working" on a manual swap too.
      I think that's the difference between a company like Elevate and KT4. KT4 you have some extremely passionate guys trying to put out a product and because of their R&D limitations my guess is some projects need to be abandoned as they make less fiscal and realistic sense VS. Elevate which can throw a ton of resources into any project and eventually bring it to market.

      For one, I've been following their "Moose Muscle" package which looks promising for the Drive-E twincharged engines.
      2017 S60 T6 R-Design (His) | 2013 XC60 T6 (Hers) - IPD skidplate | 2012 S60 T6 R-Design - mods galore | 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD | 2000 S40 1.9T

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Location
      Northern Colorado
      Posts
      68
      I had entertained the idea of a manual swap back when I had my 01 V70XC, ended up trading the car for my XC60. The TF80-SC doesn't shift all that well and the hard engagements from the neutral stop function is really annoying. If there were a way to do an M66C swap for under 3k USD, I would be interested since it would rectify the thing I dislike most about my XC60. Unfortunately, anything Hilton tends to be a bit overpriced so that might balloon the costs of the conversion project. I'm just about to take some furthering education in computer science with a focus on hardware drivers and machine code. If the price of Volvo tunes aren't down to reasonable prices by the time I finish, I may look at releasing my own P3 tunes for under the price of the TDI box. Nothing pisses me off more than price gougers. Canned stage 1 tunes across the industry now run 3 to 500 USD. I just picked a custom tune for my sportbike for 250 USD from an extremely reputable guy who races and tunes bikes for a living. 1k+ USD for a stage 1 tune is pretty effing greedy.
      2014 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Sport: 255/45R-20 Nokian WRG3, Morimoto LED Headlamps, K&N filter panel.
      2014 Volvo XC70 T6 AWD: Stock, 235/55R-18 Nokian WRG3, Wife's car.
      2013 Honda CBR500R: BlackWidow Header, LeoVince Carbon exhaust, Shorty levers, iDEAL Gear Indicator.
      2009 Scion tC 5M: True Ram-Air with K&N Filter, JVTR Header, Raceland Exhaust with AR25 Resonator, Morimoto HIDs, Seibon CF Hood and Hatch, Nokian eNtyre 2.0 235/45R-17.

    26. #24
      Junior Member BHTeam's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Bulgaria
      Posts
      43
      Get the cheapest price of any CS:GO Skin - https://CSGOWeapons.com

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Location
      Northern Colorado
      Posts
      68
      That's some crazy power right there. I'd love to see the 1/4 mile times on that rocketship. The obvious question would be transmission longevity... 660 NM is a lot of torque.
      2014 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Sport: 255/45R-20 Nokian WRG3, Morimoto LED Headlamps, K&N filter panel.
      2014 Volvo XC70 T6 AWD: Stock, 235/55R-18 Nokian WRG3, Wife's car.
      2013 Honda CBR500R: BlackWidow Header, LeoVince Carbon exhaust, Shorty levers, iDEAL Gear Indicator.
      2009 Scion tC 5M: True Ram-Air with K&N Filter, JVTR Header, Raceland Exhaust with AR25 Resonator, Morimoto HIDs, Seibon CF Hood and Hatch, Nokian eNtyre 2.0 235/45R-17.

    28. #26
      Junior Member BHTeam's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Bulgaria
      Posts
      43
      I asked. They said the temps are the main problem. So new external ATF cooling radiator and regular oil changes.
      Get the cheapest price of any CS:GO Skin - https://CSGOWeapons.com

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Posts
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by BHTeam View Post
      I asked. They said the temps are the main problem. So new external ATF cooling radiator and regular oil changes.
      What's the most popular external ATF cooler that the P3 folks are using?

    30. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 21
      Last Post: 08-31-2007, 06:22 PM
    2. another 500hp station wagon
      By maxim in forum Car Lounge
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 11-22-2005, 09:11 AM
    3. C70 Pushing 500hp
      By C70SPEED in forum C70 (1998-2004)
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 11-16-2004, 03:30 PM
    4. Holy crap a 500hp Cobra v8 focus!!!
      By dave850r in forum Car Lounge
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 05-27-2003, 12:39 PM