Pinstripes or black-out drivers display?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Pinstripes or black-out drivers display?

I was just coming back from an errand and noticed the drivers display flash a few times, blink to vertical lines through the normal display, then just switch completely to vertical lines, like pinstripes. Can't see any of the gauges or displays there - but Sensus is working, so is HUD. So I plug it back in at home for about 30 min, start it up again - drivers display completely black. At first I thought it could be because we're trying to use that plug-in monitor from auto insurance to decrease our rates (having a kid turn 16 - ARGH!) and I realize it plugs into the same area as the diagnostics. So I run to the store, remove the monitor, come back out ~40 min later and the drivers display is back to the pinstripes My car is now sitting in the garage to charge and I won't be driving it again until fully charged tomorrow morning. Worst part is I can't quite remember how much gas I have... and there are no other screens to get that info!

Anyone have this happen?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Are they red stripes? If so, I started recently getting those, too. I bet it’s the cold weather issue...again.

Volvo for Life

Nope, the colors seem to match the colors that would normally be used in the display, white, black, cobalt blue, turquoise blue, red along just the left side - but it's COMPLETELY filled with just vertical lines, can't see anything that SHOULD be on the display. Wouldn't be related to cold weather for me - I'm in Southern California (not to rub it in, but it's 65 here)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I would suggest that you disconnect the battery in the rear driver side and then reconnect. That will force a reboot of the unit. It sounds like things got scrambled. It is easy to do. Just undo the negative post and lift off. Do not undo the bolt that is a few inches away from the post. Leave that alone as it is fragile and can easily pull apart.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      I would suggest that you disconnect the battery in the rear driver side and then reconnect. That will force a reboot of the unit. It sounds like things got scrambled. It is easy to do. Just undo the negative post and lift off. Do not undo the bolt that is a few inches away from the post. Leave that alone as it is fragile and can easily pull apart.
      Not a bad suggestion, but opted to take it in to the dealer. They'd never seen it before, but seem confident the DIM module needs to be replaced. Service guy said it's an expensive part (for Volvo - I'm still under warranty) and might take 2-3 days to get in. While online it says that it's a very easy (and fast) swap out, I'm just betting it'll be ~2 weeks. Just happy they gave me a '20 XC90 loaner!

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements