2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sportó ON BORROWED TIME? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by kiwiV8 View Post
      do wheel bearings actually go bad? My parents used to have this 90's Honda Legend and that thing clocked up some crazy mileage without replacing any wheel bearing at all it was nuts...
      Wheel bearings are probably one of the more unpredictable wear items.
      I've had bearings fail on me in under 50,000 miles. I've had original bearings that should have long since failed continue to smoothly move around their races well past the 160,000 mile mark.

That your parent's Honda's bearings continued to run trouble free doesn't surprise me. Most of the best precision bearing companies are located in Japan.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My V8 has about 230k. Original owner. Dealer serviced until around 200k. Using excellent independent shop now. Hoping to get it up to between 250k and 300k and Iíll be happy. Love this machine but will depend on cost-benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Former: 1987 765 GLE, 1993 854 GLT, 2006 V70 R
      Current:
      2006 XC90 V8 Versatility, Touring, Climate, Convenience, RSE, Bi-Xenon, 19" Vulcanis
      2007 S40 T5 Premium, Sport, Climate, Convenience, 18" Medusa
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription, Climate, Convenience, Vision, B&W, HUD, Air Suspension, Polestar, 21" Diamond Cut

Quote Originally Posted by sandan View Post
      My V8 has about 230k. Original owner. Dealer serviced until around 200k. Using excellent independent shop now. Hoping to get it up to between 250k and 300k and Iíll be happy. Love this machine but will depend on cost-benefit.

So you're "GUNGNER".
      I've seen your XC at least twice over the last year or so.
      What indie shop are you using? I always need a good back-up to my current shop in Rockville.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      So you're "GUNGNER".
      I've seen your XC at least twice over the last year or so.
      What indie shop are you using? I always need a good back-up to my current shop in Rockville.
      I still use Volvo Rockville or Volvo Annapolis for my second gen XC90.

I use Walt Eger's Service Center in Severn, MD for my older Volvos. They have a digital inspection app that sends me photos and descriptions of discoveries from their 45-point inspection while the vehicle is in the shop. Also, they rank concerns such as, "immediate", "address around next service interval", or "monitor". When I call, the service manager and I have already a basis for discussion on how to proceed.

Haha. Yup, "GUNGNER" is Odin's spear. You probably seen my second gen XC90 who is "MJOLNER" (for the Thor's hammer headlamps) and my S40 who is "ASGARD" (just because...). I frequent DC for the eats and my older daughter lives in NW.
      Current:
      2006 XC90 V8 Versatility, Touring, Climate, Convenience, RSE, Bi-Xenon, 19" Vulcanis
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription, Climate, Convenience, Vision, B&W, HUD, Air Suspension, Polestar, 21" Diamond Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Drstock56 View Post
      I paid $4500 for this car 13,000 miles ago. I put on new Yokohama tires, replaced all filters, replaced spark plugs, and replaced brake fluid. There are no fault codes, and two independent mechanics that I trust gave it a clean bill of health. Itís an 8 or a 9 out of 10 in appearance inside and outóPassion Red with black leather. Itís a hoot to drive, rust free, and shiny.

So whatís the problem? Itís got 265,000 miles on it. Spouse is worried Iíll get stranded somewhere. Thinks I should sell it before it hits 300,000 while I can still get some decent money for it. Iím thinking that even over 300,000 miles, it will be a good rebuild project for someone.

Iím new to Volvoís, so Iím not sure what would be the best strategy. Opinions and ideas appreciated.
      At that mileage the vehicle would have been receiving decent care. You're not going to get stranded anywhere. Unless you want to buy a new car any other used car is going to be just as likely or unlikely to leave you stranded. It depends on the level of care. Our XC90 V8 is pushing 200k and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country. Same goes for my daughter's almost 300k 240. Take care of it and it will take care of you. If you are faced with a major repair you can decide whether it's worth it or not. Our XC90 V8 had a couterbalance shaft bearing failure. It didn't leave anyone stranded on the side of the road. My wife got to her (local) destination and we had it towed at that point. Not what I called getting stranded on the side of the road on a cold and rainy night. I have never had that happen in any Volvo unless it was an accident.
      V70R -04 MT, 18" IPD Pegs, IPD Tune, IPD DP+Cat back, FMIC, Eibachs, IPD Sways
      XC90 V8-05, 18" Atlantis, Bilsteins (Front), IPD Sways, RSE, Nav
      240 Classic Wagon -93 AT, 17" IPD Nebs, TME Springs, Bilsteins, IPD Sways

Quote Originally Posted by irollturbo View Post
      At that mileage the vehicle would have been receiving decent care. You're not going to get stranded anywhere. Unless you want to buy a new car any other used car is going to be just as likely or unlikely to leave you stranded. It depends on the level of care. Our XC90 V8 is pushing 200k and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country. Same goes for my daughter's almost 300k 240. Take care of it and it will take care of you. If you are faced with a major repair you can decide whether it's worth it or not. Our XC90 V8 had a couterbalance shaft bearing failure. It didn't leave anyone stranded on the side of the road. My wife got to her (local) destination and we had it towed at that point. Not what I called getting stranded on the side of the road on a cold and rainy night. I have never had that happen in any Volvo unless it was an accident.
      Take care of it and it will take care of you. Amen.

Iíve been driving my ~230k mile V8 between Annapolis and Savannah the last four years visiting my daughter in college and moving her in and out of her two dorms and two apartments. Roof rack loads and all. No problem.
      Current:

Haha. Yup, "GUNGNER" is Odin's spear. You probably seen my second gen XC90 who is "MJOLNER" (for the Thor's hammer headlamps) and my S40 who is "ASGARD" (just because...).
      Those are awesome names! Been trying to find the right one for the Ď98 S70 project I picked up this summer, but havenít come up with anything yet that fits its personality. Val(kyrie) was easy for the XC90 V8 that replaced Sven (the Ď04 2.5T). The rest of the ones in the fleet donít have appropriate Nordic names, sadly (although DWís C70 is Bjork, so close). Will need to study up more on the Norse mythology....

BD
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

I have no doubt that my 2008 V8 Sport, purchased in May of 2018 from my local Volvo dealership, can get to 200 or even 300k. Getting there will not be inexpensive however.

The car was originally purchased from the same dealership and the previous owner took excellent care of her, as evidenced not only by the great condition of the car (only 66k miles on the clock when I took delivery) but also by the complete dealer-provided service history. In addition to the Volvo recommended service schedule for oil changes the car also had the following done over its first life:
      ē Brake pads replaced (40,000 mi)
      ē Four-wheel alignment (55,200)
      ē Battery replaced (60,000/Nov 2016)
      ē Radiator flush, coolant change (61,000)
      ē Fr rotors/brake pads (64,400)
      ē Tires (4) Michelin Premier LTX (65,000/Jan 2018)

Despite the low mileage and good care, it had a failing passenger side axle shaft, which I got the dealer to replace (66,000 mi).
      After I took delivery, I brought her to a respected local indie Volvo shop for an oil change and a transmission service (the indie shop does a simple drain and refill rather the pressure flush done at the dealer). I did a bunch of other age-related maintenance work myself, replacing things like the air & cabin filters, tailgate & hood lift struts, wiper blades, nozzles and washer system T-fittings.

Other major work done over the last 18 months includes:
      ē Replace spark plugs & harness
      ē Flush/refill brake fluid
      ē Fush/refill P/S;
      ē Drain and refill the rear diff fluid,
      ē 4-wheel alignment & tire rotation
      ē Replace failing alternator\
      ē Replace all 3 intake manifold gaskets, f/r valve cover gaskets, camshaft solenoid gasket, oil filler tube/cap gaskets and both breather hoses.

In anticipation of a second winter trip from PA to UT this February, I just completed the following:
      ē Replace the serpentine belt, idlers and tensioner
      ē Drain/refill of Haldex/AOC (incl filter)
      ē Replace starter (was in the early stages of failure)

The car has about 80,000 miles at present, just 14k more than when I bought her a year and a ago. About 1/3 of that mileage is from a 2019 winter trip, with the balance mostly highway driving. The V8 Sport is quick, good-handling, quiet, incredibly comfortable, has a fabulous sound system, gives excellent fuel economy and has terrific manners in the snow. The car has also been utterly reliable. Keeping her running well comes at a considerable cost however with the work listed above totaling nearly $7,500 (not including the cost of the axle shaft done before I got the car).

Having sunk some money into the car, I plan to hang on to her for a while. While I'm sure I'll see 200k, I really hope itís not too much to expect that the cost curve flattens a bit. The odds don't look good though. Next up is likely to be the driverís side axle shaft and I also suspect that thereís some suspension work in the carís future. Hopefully, all of this will be after (and not during) this winterís excursion to the Wasatch.

I did the RR first and I could get two Timkens from Rockauto to the door for the cost of one SKF at Volvo, so did the other side too and kept the spare. When the RF went about 50k kms later, I again did them both. The last pair was at least a year ago. The car now has 235k kms or 146k miles.
      Last edited by vince1; 12-15-2019 at 12:59 PM.
      07 XC90 3.2

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2