Certified By Volvo Factory Warranty - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 93
    1. #36
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post

      Math 101....

      at 18,000 miles per year it would take you almost 6 years to accumulate 100,000 Miles
      at 21,000 miles per year it would take you almost 5 years to accumulate 100,0000 Miles

      [/B]
      I would bet the vast majority of CPOs are sold with between 35-50K miles on them and ~36 months of in-service use... as the biggest source of CPOs are lease returns.

      You're not factoring that into your math at all.. and that's a pretty big miss.

      The shorter term/unlimited miles does favor someone who drives more than 15K miles/year.. but it's not so huge a difference as the old program knowing that those driving less were likely either going to hit that 100K mile not too far past 5 years anyways.. or would have to buy newer/lower mile (read: much more expensive) CPO vehicles in the first place.

      I am actually astounded that for pretty much short money I can extend the CPO to 10 year/unlimited.. with excellent coverage.. on a motor that's pretty complex (super and turbo charged, high compression, etc.) and also it's an active AWD system... but also, a car that relies on electronics a ton, especially the Sensus.

      It's the #1 factor I'm going to buy a Volvo this time instead of a BMW (current) or Audi (past). Thank goodness the car is also pretty great.. just wish they had an option for a 6 cylinder with some more nuts (I don't like the complexity of the T8 and many reviews says the system impacts driveability).

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      485
      Quote Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
      Lol literally today a dealer - who told me the car was CPO so I drove almost 2 hours to check it out - and then told me three days after the fact it wasn't actually CPO... offered to split the "Dealer cost" of CPOing the vehicle of $1490... $745 on my end.

      hmmmmmmmmmm
      It's quite possible they add some padding internally for their CPO costs. In the industry it's called a "pack". They could put their costs of checking out the car and and washing and reconditioning the car in there. Sometimes advertising as well. All real costs that show up on their bottom line somewhere. I was just referring to the costs of the warranty itself. Or they could have been blowing smoke. IDK lots of costs in this industry folks forget about or don't consider. If you think we're making too much, Penski is publicly traded if the cost to buy your own dealership is a bit too steep!

    4. #38
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      730
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      ....You are out of warranty for years 6, 7.....As opposed to Old CPO which gave me 6, and year 7...

      Doesn't matter if you keep car 5 or 10 years, it has no relevance on the length of your warranty. And in fact, you'd be out of pocket to buy an extended warranty that EXCLUDES oil consumption, where as no such rider exists on the CPO. Meaning you lost year 6 and 7 coverage with LESS exclusions.
      It’s cute how you think you know what’s better for me. I love your passion for something that’s never coming back.

      Only time will tell if I got a good deal with my CPO. Since my engine don’t s run as often I’m not losing any sleep over hypothetical future engine ring failures.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #39
      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      Actually that's exactly what happened. The dealers are charged $895 for the current CPO and I think the old one was $1395... While that's not a customer facing figure, when it gets down to what we can sell a car for it's certainly a factor as the cost to add the warranty is lower now, and the customer facing extensions are less cost now too. I conceded that to make the 7 year 100k does cost a few hundred bucks more, but the consumer cost for most other situations is lower or previously wasn't even possible.
      Even if dealer gets charged less, doesn't mean the savings is passed on to the consumer. Loss leader argument. Also, that few hundred bucks, even if "saved by the consumer" will wind up costing several thousand to purchase those 2 missing years. A 7 year / 100K $0 deductible (adding those 2 years) is $2015 at Steingold. $1815 after the $200 saved by SwedeSpeed Code. And the $100 deductible is $1694. $1494 after Swedespeed code.

      So let me do the math. 5 yr / Unlimited price drop to dealer = $500...But for consumer to pick up those two years is $1494-$1815. Man, I must be getting old cause that new math is confusing where the consumer got screwed here. But you're telling me it's a savings.

      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      The change is much more flexible. Not everyone keeps the car, and those that do can extend by year out to 10... and 100k or unlimited miles. Ownership costs is down with the new warranty. Frankly just because the old warranty didn't exclude oil consumption doesn't mean it was considered a repairable cost... it still wasn't mechanical failure, which is the requirement for a warranty claim. The newer wording really just makes it more clear for consumers.
      Irrelevant. The 5 yr / unlimited DOES NOT offer any more flexibility No one will ever get the full CPO. Because the cars are put into service for a length of time before sold. So obtaining that elusive 100K with say 4.5 years would require 22,200 miles a year. Considering the upmost mileage done on average is 18,858 for 35-54 year old males, very few would ever benefit from the change. https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

      Old CPO most definitely includes oil consumption. If your pistons fail or engine fails due to oil consumption, it's covered. Not so on the extended warranties. Ideally, the problem has been addressed, as i haven't heard 2017s, 18s, 19s, 20s having the issue. But clearly Volvo felt concerned enough to exclude it.

      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      So to not make too much of a fool of myself, I checked with an old brochure for the old CPO... It doesn't specify consumption but it does say that repairs for the purpose of repairing compression (aka performance in the new lingo) would not be covered without mechanical breakdown. I don't believe consumption would not be repaired any more under the old program than the new unless mechanical failure has occurred. Mechanical failure is generally the condition for warranties to kick in.
      There have been people here with old CPO that had pistons / engines replaced due to consumption issues. I believe Volvo has set a tolerance level and once that threshold is reached, the piston ring replacement is authorized. But generally, before that happens, something usually gives way. Volvo could easily absolve themselves on the new warranties, because their argument could be adding oil every 1000 miles is acceptable. As again, they have no expressly EXCLUDED the issue. Not so beforehand.

    7. #40
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      485
      [/QUOTE]Even if dealer gets charged less, doesn't mean the savings is passed on to the consumer. Loss leader argument. Also, that few hundred bucks, even if "saved by the consumer" will wind up costing several thousand to purchase those 2 missing years. A 7 year / 100K $0 deductible (adding those 2 years) is $2015 at Steingold. $1815 after the $200 saved by SwedeSpeed Code. And the $100 deductible is $1694. $1494 after Swedespeed code.

      So let me do the math. 5 yr / Unlimited price drop to dealer = $500...But for consumer to pick up those two years is $1494-$1815. Man, I must be getting old cause that new math is confusing where the consumer got screwed here. But you're telling me it's a savings.[/QUOTE]

      It must be your age creeping up on you.. because I specifically and repeatedly confirmed that the exact extension of 7/100/$0 would cost you more but most other scenarios would cost less and provide extension. Most folks I work with would rather have unlimited miles for $100 deductible than 100k with $0.... Further, lower cost does trickle down to consumers. We compete with one another. Lowering the cost of the units will lead to more competitive deals being accepted. When it comes to what deals dealerships accept it generally has nothing to do with NADA or KBB, and everything to do with what we own it for or how badly we need to move it along (aka aged inventory we probably owned for too much).

      If your pistons fail or engine fails due to oil consumption, it's covered. Not so on the extended warranties.
      This is 100% false. If the pistons or engine fails it IS covered, under either program. You're reading comprehension really is lacking here and it's getting your panties all twisted up. Failure of a component is still covered. What is not covered is to rectify consumption itself, which is only a symptom... something that the old warranty also would not have covered either as it does not met the threshold of mechanical failure.

      There have been people here with old CPO that had pistons / engines replaced due to consumption issues. I believe Volvo has set a tolerance level and once that threshold is reached, the piston ring replacement is authorized. But generally, before that happens, something usually gives way. Volvo could easily absolve themselves on the new warranties, because their argument could be adding oil every 1000 miles is acceptable. As again, they have no expressly EXCLUDED the issue. Not so beforehand.
      Adding oil every 1000 miles is acceptable (perhaps not to you or others). If it's going to lead to a failure in the short term who cares, because that failure is also covered. Actually, better a quick failure than years of oil every 1000 miles right? Of course people are able to get things covered that aren't technically legal obligations... that's the entire good will program. Oil consumption is specified as not a mechanical failure with the new language but the old language would also hold up because consumption is a symptom not a failure. It's a symptom of lack of compression... caused by rings being worn, and that is not a mechanical failure specified in the old language because everything is still working. If it stops working, that becomes a failure, and old or new, that will be covered.

    8. #41
      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post

      It must be your age creeping up on you.. because I specifically and repeatedly confirmed that the exact extension of 7/100/$0 would cost you more but most other scenarios would cost less and provide extension. Most folks I work with would rather have unlimited miles for $100 deductible than 100k with $0.... Further, lower cost does trickle down to consumers. We compete with one another. Lowering the cost of the units will lead to more competitive deals being accepted. When it comes to what deals dealerships accept it generally has nothing to do with NADA or KBB, and everything to do with what we own it for or how badly we need to move it along (aka aged inventory we probably owned for too much).
      Sigh... $895 (CPO) + $1694 (Exentension) = (7 yr .100k / $100 deductible) = $2589 - $200 Steingold = $2389 to pay $100 per incident...= Consumer Pays More....

      I paid $1600 for a 7 yr / 100K CPO with 0 deductible. Again, your scenarios fall flat.

      Even if I opted for 10 Years / unlimited miles with a $100 deductible.... It still costs $2420 or $2220 after Discount. So $2220 + 895 initial CPO = $3115

      Keep trying.....Because no matter how you slice it, Volvo Consumers are paying more. But this is pretty much irrelevant, since the 7 yr / 100k doesn't exist any longer....But it certainly would give me pause on buying another Volvo. They're expensive to maintain and EVER MORE expensive to fix.


      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post

      This is 100% false. If the pistons or engine fails it IS covered, under either program. You're reading comprehension really is lacking here and it's getting your panties all twisted up. Failure of a component is still covered. What is not covered is to rectify consumption itself, which is only a symptom... something that the old warranty also would not have covered either as it does not met the threshold of mechanical failure.
      I'll say this.. I own a 1999 Toyota Corolla that had same type of issue. Poorly designed / bad rings. Car is at 210,000 + miles and requires 2 quarts every 100-150 miles. Burns right through it.

      You can keep a car going a long time dumping in oil.

      Old CPO = Volvo Fixes issues. No exclusionary clauses.
      New CPO = Might as well drive it and feign ignorance so the damn engine dies or pistons gum up.

      Otherwise, you're stuck with a car that's going to be problematic and keep getting worse throughout its life. And Volvo's response? Keep dumping oil...Never heard of a consumption issue getting better on its own. But hey, you know more than me it seems.

      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      Adding oil every 1000 miles is acceptable (perhaps not to you or others). If it's going to lead to a failure in the short term who cares, because that failure is also covered. Actually, better a quick failure than years of oil every 1000 miles right? Of course people are able to get things covered that aren't technically legal obligations... that's the entire good will program. Oil consumption is specified as not a mechanical failure with the new language but the old language would also hold up because consumption is a symptom not a failure. It's a symptom of lack of compression... caused by rings being worn, and that is not a mechanical failure specified in the old language because everything is still working. If it stops working, that becomes a failure, and old or new, that will be covered.
      Volvo has fixed consumption issues on OLD CPO. No exclusionary language.

      New CPO = Volvo absolves themselves...Unless of course they want to good will it.

      Quick failure? Again, I got a car that's limped along with an oil consumption problem for the past 10 years or more. Started at like 1000 miles, then 500, then around 200, now to about 100 for 2 quarts. If consumer stays on top of it, an oil burner can last forever. Gee, doesn't that sound fun.

    9. #42
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Posts
      45
      Is there a discount on a certified vehicle with the A Plan? Also - is there a limit on the dealer fee when using A plan even for a certified used?

    10. #43
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      489
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Volvo has fixed consumption issues on OLD CPO. No exclusionary language.

      New CPO = Volvo absolves themselves...Unless of course they want to good will it.
      What evidence do you have that Volvo has refused to fix oil consumption issues on cars out of the factory warranty, but in the new CPO warranty?
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    11. #44
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      What evidence do you have that Volvo has refused to fix oil consumption issues on cars out of the factory warranty, but in the new CPO warranty?
      Well in late 2016, the rings were changed, and only the 15's and 16s (up to a point) suffer the issue. There's no guarantee the issue has been resolved, but I have yet to see someone on here complaining their 2017, 18, 19, or 20 has developed an oil consumption problem. So chances are the new rings resolved the problem.

    12. #45
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      485
      Quote Originally Posted by newbote View Post
      Is there a discount on a certified vehicle with the A Plan? Also - is there a limit on the dealer fee when using A plan even for a certified used?
      Absolutely for the discount, and most folks don't know about it! It comes in the form of a rebate, not a set price. $500 is available for CPO cars with A plan. This money comes from Volvo, not the dealership, so it should have no bearing in your negotiations.

      Nothing protecting you from high dealer document fees either new or used to my knowledge at this time. I would love to see that change.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

    13. #46
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      39,079
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      What evidence do you have that Volvo has refused to fix oil consumption issues on cars out of the factory warranty, but in the new CPO warranty?
      None.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

    14. #47
      Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      None.
      Volvo has absolutely absolved themselves of responsibility by adding an exclusion to EXTENDED WARRANTIES. Meaning these warranties pay for repairs of a FAILURE and not for oil consumption alone. NEVER ONCE DID I SAY Factory / Regular CPO warranty.

      Give me ANY EXAMPLES of cars under the new warranty, that have developed an oil consumption problem, and Volvo stepped right up to replace the engine and rings?

      1. 2016+ got redesigned rings so the consumption problem should in theory be fixed
      2. And any vehicles that may appear, are NOT going to get a brand new engine / rings on burning oil alone. Volvo has made that clear!

      3 There have been countless threads on here where Volvo States burning oil is NORMAL up to a threshold. Meaning even if the rings are a problem, it's not going to step up unless something fails
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-26-2019 at 10:14 PM.

    15. #48
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      489
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      NEVER ONCE DID I SAY Factory / Regular CPO warranty.
      Re-read what you wrote in post #41.
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Volvo has fixed consumption issues on OLD CPO. No exclusionary language.

      New CPO = Volvo absolves themselves...Unless of course they want to good will it.
      You said the NEW CPO absolves Volvo of fixing consumption issues. If you have the fine print of both warranties listing exclusions, and only the new one excludes consumption issues, post it here. Otherwise, you have nothing to base your statements on. I could be wrong, but this is the first I'm hearing that the exclusions on the CPO warranty changed, so I'd like to see it. I'll gladly admit I am wrong if you have the evidence.
      Last edited by meade18; 12-26-2019 at 10:55 PM.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    16. #49
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Re-read what you wrote in post #41.

      You said the NEW CPO absolves Volvo of fixing consumption issues. If you have the fine print of both warranties listing exclusions, and only the new one excludes consumption issues, post it here. Otherwise, you have nothing to base your statements on. I could be wrong, but this is the first I'm hearing that the exclusions on the CPO warranty changed, so I'd like to see it. I'll gladly admit I am wrong if you have the evidence.
      I should have stated New Extended CPO / Extended Warranties. Initial CPO is administered by Volvo:

      Here's the 2015 Brochure: https://pictures.dealer.com/stillman...6153160473.pdf

      Under the OLD CPO: I received 7 yrs / 100K (whichever first) Administered by Volvo that corrects issues that may arise.

      Here's the NEW CPO (5 yr / unlimited Mileage): https://content.modix.us/userdata/14...ure_2_1_19.pdf

      https://cpo.volvocars.us/enus/volvo-cpo

      Volvo says:

      Certified by Volvo

      When you purchase a Certified by Volvo vehicle, you’ll have the same confidence and pride in your vehicle as you would a brand-new one — without the new-vehicle price tag. There’s never been a better time to make it yours!

      - 5-year/Unlimited mile exclusionary warranty
      For sake of Argument: Let's consider the 7 yr / 100K ----> 5yr / Unlimited Equal But WAIT!

      A. Under the 7yr / 100K, Volvo Backed my CPO. I got an extra 2 years BACKED BY VOLVO!

      B. Under the 5 yr / unlimited, I LOSE TWO YEARS. My option now becomes purchase an "Certified By Volvo" Increased Protection Plan...But AHA, this excludes Oil Consumption issues:

      https://content.modix.us/userdata/14...act_2_1_19.pdf

      ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

      No payment or reimbursement for the correction of oil consumption, repair of worn rings, or any repairs for reduction in engine efficiency that must be performed on your vehicle when a Mechanical Breakdown has not occurred. See service contract for complete details


      New CPO is NOT EQUAL to OLD CPO. In that I get 2 years less backed by Volvo and that your ONLY OPTION is a plan that in plain text EXCLUDES CONSUMPTION ISSUES without mechanical failure.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-27-2019 at 01:07 AM.

    17. #50
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,185
      Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      It used to be one of the best at 7 years/100k - now it's less than average with just 5 years. When Volvo changed their CPO terms I lost a lot of enthusiasm for the brand and sticking with it.
      You obviously have not compared it to the competition if you think it is less than average.


      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      None.
      Give me ANY EXAMPLES of cars under the new warranty, that have developed an oil consumption problem, and Volvo stepped right up to replace the engine and rings?
      I've done and seen it. But you're the CPO and oil consumption expert.

      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60
      But this is pretty much irrelevant, since the 7 yr / 100k doesn't exist any longer...
      But yet you continue dragging the horse out of the grave and beating it any time someome brings up CPO.
      Last edited by Tech; 12-27-2019 at 08:43 AM.

    18. #51
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Posts
      242
      Question so we have the copo warranty 10 years or 100,000 miles the dealer cant mess with this correct ?

    19. #52
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      489
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I should have stated New Extended CPO / Extended Warranties. Initial CPO is administered by Volvo:

      Here's the 2015 Brochure: https://pictures.dealer.com/stillman...6153160473.pdf

      Under the OLD CPO: I received 7 yrs / 100K (whichever first) Administered by Volvo that corrects issues that may arise.

      Here's the NEW CPO (5 yr / unlimited Mileage): https://content.modix.us/userdata/14...ure_2_1_19.pdf

      https://cpo.volvocars.us/enus/volvo-cpo

      Volvo says:

      Certified by Volvo

      When you purchase a Certified by Volvo vehicle, you’ll have the same confidence and pride in your vehicle as you would a brand-new one — without the new-vehicle price tag. There’s never been a better time to make it yours!

      - 5-year/Unlimited mile exclusionary warranty
      For sake of Argument: Let's consider the 7 yr / 100K ----> 5yr / Unlimited Equal But WAIT!

      A. Under the 7yr / 100K, Volvo Backed my CPO. I got an extra 2 years BACKED BY VOLVO!

      B. Under the 5 yr / unlimited, I LOSE TWO YEARS. My option now becomes purchase an "Certified By Volvo" Increased Protection Plan...But AHA, this excludes Oil Consumption issues:

      https://content.modix.us/userdata/14...act_2_1_19.pdf

      ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

      No payment or reimbursement for the correction of oil consumption, repair of worn rings, or any repairs for reduction in engine efficiency that must be performed on your vehicle when a Mechanical Breakdown has not occurred. See service contract for complete details


      New CPO is NOT EQUAL to OLD CPO. In that I get 2 years less backed by Volvo and that your ONLY OPTION is a plan that in plain text EXCLUDES CONSUMPTION ISSUES without mechanical failure.
      You are mixing two things and trying to say they are one thing. It is totally understandable based on the wording in the brochure, so I'm not going to give you a hard time because anyone can do it. You linked to 3 brochures. The old CPO, the new CPO, and the VIP Service Contract. The Service Contract is the one that specifically says, "No payment or reimbursement for the correction of oil consumption." But that wording is NOT in the brochure for the old or new CPO warranty. The new CPO brochure does mention a service contract, but only in reference to EXTENDED coverage beyond the CPO. The Service Contract brochure is for the Platinum version of the VIP warranty. Note it says at the bottom "Administered by Fidelity Warranty Services." The thing that makes it seem like it has anything to do with CPO is because it says Certified. That is where you are getting tripped up, and I would too if I wasn't super familiar with the stuff. If you go to Steingold's warranty page, their brochure doesn't have "Certified" on it. I can't really explain why the one you found does, but it isn't the same thing as the CPO warranty.

      That being said, I am pretty sure the line about not correcting oil consumption WAS added to the VIP brochure sometime late last year or early this year. That is somewhat disconcerting, but then again, not really. BECAUSE... the old VIP warranty excluded oil consumption too (in the fine print). They just didn't put it in the brochure.

      So here's the deal:

      Will an old CPO help you get your car fixed if you have oil consumption? Yes - people on this board have used it.
      Will a new CPO help you get your car fixed if you have oil consumption? Yes - according to Tech, people have used it (not sure if anyone on this board has yet).
      Will the old VIP Warranty help you get your car fixed if you have oil consumption? - It depends. It worked for me, but I had a bigger underlying issue. No one else with first hand experience has posted their experience, positive or negative.
      Will the new VIP Warranty help you get your car fixed if you have oil consumption? - It depends. We have no data points yet saying one way or the other.

      Buyer beware for sure. When I came on this board with oil consumption in my out of warranty car and asked if I should buy the VIP warranty, multiple people told me not to because oil consumption wasn't covered. I bought it anyway, and got a new engine out of it. Had Volvo not found a broken piston when they tore down my engine, I don't know what the warranty would have done. But in order to say for sure, we would need to hear from someone with the VIP plan that had oil consumption only because of worn rings. Until that guy comes along, I will just say "read the fine print and be prepared for a fight" to anyone with oil consumption who buys the VIP warranty.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    20. #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      You obviously have not compared it to the competition if you think it is less than average.

      I've done and seen it. But you're the CPO and oil consumption expert.

      But yet you continue dragging the horse out of the grave and beating it any time someome brings up CPO.
      So are you stating that the oil consumption problem that SUPPOSEDLY was fixed and addressed with a redesigned ring are in fact still appearing in 20172, 18s, 19's, or 20s? If so that is very disconcerting. Because those of us in 15's and early 16's are the unlocky SODS. But if this issue remains outstanding in later models, what the heck?

      And to follow up on that question, if later models are being found to burn oil, is Volvo REPLACING the engine for OIL CONSUMPTION ALONE? Or only after a failure occurred? And what about OUTSIDE the Regular Warranty/ Factory CPO? Are these being done under the "Extended Warranty", which specifically excludes oil consumption or straight good will?

    21. #54
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      11,142
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      So are you stating that the oil consumption problem that SUPPOSEDLY was fixed and addressed with a redesigned ring are in fact still appearing in 20172, 18s, 19's, or 20s? If so that is very disconcerting. Because those of us in 15's and early 16's are the unlocky SODS. But if this issue remains outstanding in later models, what the heck?

      And to follow up on that question, if later models are being found to burn oil, is Volvo REPLACING the engine for OIL CONSUMPTION ALONE? Or only after a failure occurred? And what about OUTSIDE the Regular Warranty/ Factory CPO? Are these being done under the "Extended Warranty", which specifically excludes oil consumption or straight good will?
      You have evidence that the issue is still occurring on newer cars?
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    22. #55
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      489
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      So are you stating that the oil consumption problem that SUPPOSEDLY was fixed and addressed with a redesigned ring are in fact still appearing in 20172, 18s, 19's, or 20s? If so that is very disconcerting. Because those of us in 15's and early 16's are the unlocky SODS. But if this issue remains outstanding in later models, what the heck?

      And to follow up on that question, if later models are being found to burn oil, is Volvo REPLACING the engine for OIL CONSUMPTION ALONE? Or only after a failure occurred? And what about OUTSIDE the Regular Warranty/ Factory CPO? Are these being done under the "Extended Warranty", which specifically excludes oil consumption or straight good will?
      That's not how I interpreted his post. I interpreted as him saying he has seen 2015-2016 drive-e cars sold with the new shorter CPO come in with oil consumption issues and they are fixing them under warranty.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    23. #56
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      You are mixing two things and trying to say they are one thing. It is totally understandable based on the wording in the brochure, so I'm not going to give you a hard time because anyone can do it. You linked to 3 brochures. The old CPO, the new CPO, and the VIP Service Contract. The Service Contract is the one that specifically says, "No payment or reimbursement for the correction of oil consumption." But that wording is NOT in the brochure for the old or new CPO warranty. The new CPO brochure does mention a service contract, but only in reference to EXTENDED coverage beyond the CPO. The Service Contract brochure is for the Platinum version of the VIP warranty. Note it says at the bottom "Administered by Fidelity Warranty Services." The thing that makes it seem like it has anything to do with CPO is because it says Certified. That is where you are getting tripped up, and I would too if I wasn't super familiar with the stuff. If you go to Steingold's warranty page, their brochure doesn't have "Certified" on it. I can't really explain why the one you found does, but it isn't the same thing as the CPO warranty.

      That being said, I am pretty sure the line about not correcting oil consumption WAS added to the VIP brochure sometime late last year or early this year. That is somewhat disconcerting, but then again, not really. BECAUSE... the old VIP warranty excluded oil consumption too (in the fine print). They just didn't put it in the brochure.

      So here's the deal:

      Will an old CPO help you get your car fixed if you have oil consumption? Yes - people on this board have used it.
      Will a new CPO help you get your car fixed if you have oil consumption? Yes - according to Tech, people have used it (not sure if anyone on this board has yet).
      Will the old VIP Warranty help you get your car fixed if you have oil consumption? - It depends. It worked for me, but I had a bigger underlying issue. No one else with first hand experience has posted their experience, positive or negative.
      Will the new VIP Warranty help you get your car fixed if you have oil consumption? - It depends. We have no data points yet saying one way or the other.

      Buyer beware for sure. When I came on this board with oil consumption in my out of warranty car and asked if I should buy the VIP warranty, multiple people told me not to because oil consumption wasn't covered. I bought it anyway, and got a new engine out of it. Had Volvo not found a broken piston when they tore down my engine, I don't know what the warranty would have done. But in order to say for sure, we would need to hear from someone with the VIP plan that had oil consumption only because of worn rings. Until that guy comes along, I will just say "read the fine print and be prepared for a fight" to anyone with oil consumption who buys the VIP warranty.
      Not sure we're both 100% on the same page yet.

      I stated that the OLD CPO (7 yr / 100) and New CPO (5 yr / unlimited miles) are backed by Volvo. Meaning failures are covered by Volvo. Albeit the New CPO has an exclusion which doesn't explain what's excluded.

      https://cpo.volvocars.us/enus/volvo-cpo

      Volvo says:

      Certified by Volvo

      When you purchase a Certified by Volvo vehicle, you’ll have the same confidence and pride in your vehicle as you would a brand-new one — without the new-vehicle price tag. There’s never been a better time to make it yours!

      - 5-year/Unlimited mile exclusionary warranty
      That being said three things are still applicable:

      A. Old CPO was 7 yrs / 100K.
      B. New CPO is 5 yrs / unlimited miles

      1. You've lost 2 years of Volvo Backed Protection: Meaning your only option to get more time is a Volvo Certified VIP Extended Warranty which excludes consumption issues

      2. You developed a FAILURE which the new VIP PLANS do cover. The plans specifically say:

      No payment or reimbursement for the correction of oil consumption, repair of worn rings, or any repairs for reduction in engine efficiency that must be performed on your vehicle when a Mechanical Breakdown has not occurred. See service contract for complete details

      3. It's very disconcerting to know new models 17s, 18s 19s, or 20s are developing oil consumption issues. And I wonder if Volvo has corrected these on OIL CONSUMPTION issues alone or only once a failure has occurred. And what exactly is causing these consumption issues, since rings were redesigned. **If I read Tech Properly. If Not Ignore**
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-27-2019 at 10:20 AM.

    24. #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      You have evidence that the issue is still occurring on newer cars?
      I'm asking TECH that question. Either I'm reading is comment wrong and he is implying 15's and 16's under the NEW CPO (which I'm not sure if any of these cars could still qualify). Maybe a 2016 built later into 2015. Or if in fact TECH was referring to cars from later production years. 17s, 18s, 19s, 20s?

    25. #58
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      That's not how I interpreted his post. I interpreted as him saying he has seen 2015-2016 drive-e cars sold with the new shorter CPO come in with oil consumption issues and they are fixing them under warranty.
      15's are way outside the factory warranty or 5 yr CPO. Maybe early production 16s still apply. I could be very wrong but I interpreted his post in the sense that later models are coming in under the new CPO??? Which is why I asked?

    26. #59
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      489
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      15's are way outside the factory warranty or 5 yr CPO. Maybe early production 16s still apply.
      How are 2015 cars "way outside a 5 year CPO?" A 2015 car turned in on a lease or traded in could easily have been sold as certified and have a year or more left under the new CPO.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    27. #60
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      How are 2015 cars "way outside a 5 year CPO?" A 2015 car turned in on a lease or traded in could easily have been sold as certified and have a year or more left under the new CPO.
      Unlikely. 2015.5's were manufactured in June 2014 and maybe early in to 2015. I'd say most that have a remaining CPO term out in 6 months or less. Regardless of when the car was "traded in". Don't forget, the clock runs from "In Service" date. I'd be amazed if there were an ample supply 2015.5's sitting unregistered and unused on dealer lots for 1 to 1.5 years. As to have a year left on the 5 yr CPO, the in service date would need to be January 2016 or later.

      I probably overstated myself on the 16's. While manufactured in 2015 and maybe early 16, these could have sat around before being put into service. Meaning a 1 to 1.5 years or so left on the 5 Yr CPO is possible, especially if put into service at the end of 16.

      My 15.5 was under the old CPO. In service was June 15. Meaning It runs til June 2022 under the old 7 yr CPO. So if we use my car as an example (sat around 1 year after manufacture date), it would have 6 months left on the NEW 5 year CPO. I'd say my car was definitely more of the exception to sit around unused for a year "than the rule'.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-27-2019 at 11:23 AM.

    28. #61
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,185
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      You obviously have not compared it to the competition if you think it is less than average.

      I've done and seen it. But you're the CPO and oil consumption expert.

      But yet you continue dragging the horse out of the grave and beating it any time someome brings up CPO.
      So are you stating that the oil consumption problem that SUPPOSEDLY was fixed and addressed with a redesigned ring are in fact still appearing in 20172, 18s, 19's, or 20s? If so that is very disconcerting. Because those of us in 15's and early 16's are the unlocky SODS. But if this issue remains outstanding in later models, what the heck?

      And to follow up on that question, if later models are being found to burn oil, is Volvo REPLACING the engine for OIL CONSUMPTION ALONE? Or only after a failure occurred? And what about OUTSIDE the Regular Warranty/ Factory CPO? Are these being done under the "Extended Warranty", which specifically excludes oil consumption or straight good will?
      No, that is not what I'm saying.

      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      So are you stating that the oil consumption problem that SUPPOSEDLY was fixed and addressed with a redesigned ring are in fact still appearing in 20172, 18s, 19's, or 20s? If so that is very disconcerting. Because those of us in 15's and early 16's are the unlocky SODS. But if this issue remains outstanding in later models, what the heck?

      And to follow up on that question, if later models are being found to burn oil, is Volvo REPLACING the engine for OIL CONSUMPTION ALONE? Or only after a failure occurred? And what about OUTSIDE the Regular Warranty/ Factory CPO? Are these being done under the "Extended Warranty", which specifically excludes oil consumption or straight good will?
      That's not how I interpreted his post. I interpreted as him saying he has seen 2015-2016 drive-e cars sold with the new shorter CPO come in with oil consumption issues and they are fixing them under warranty.
      Yes, that is what I'm saying.

    29. #62
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      489
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Unlikely. 2015.5's were manufactured in June 2014 and maybe early in to 2015. I'd say most that have a remaining CPO term out in 6 months or less. Regardless of when the car was "traded in". Don't forget, the clock runs from "In Service" date. I'd be amazed if there were an ample supply 2015.5's sitting unregistered and unused on dealer lots for 1 to 1.5 years. As to have a year left on the 5 yr CPO, the in service date would need to be January 2016 or later.

      I probably overstated myself on the 16's. While manufactured in 2015 and maybe early 16, these could have sat around before being put into service. Meaning a 1 to 1.5 years or so left on the 5 Yr CPO is possible, especially if put into service at the end of 16.

      My 15.5 was under the old CPO. In service was June 15. Meaning It runs til June 2022 under the old 7 yr CPO. So if we use my car as an example (sat around 1 year after manufacture date), it would have 6 months left on the NEW 5 year CPO. I'd say my car was definitely more of the exception to sit around unused for a year "than the rule'.
      Have you never been to a dealership in December? Dealers move lots of current model year cars at the end of the year. Every 2015 model sold in December that was later sold as certified with the new CPO has a CPO warranty good until 2020. The only Certified 2015s that are out of warranty right now are ones put in service in 2014. It would be much more likely a CPO 2015 model still has time left on the warranty than not.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    30. #63
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      39,079
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      15's are way outside the factory warranty or 5 yr CPO. Maybe early production 16s still apply. I could be very wrong but I interpreted his post in the sense that later models are coming in under the new CPO??? Which is why I asked?
      You are wrong. MY15.5 cars are not outside the new CPO program.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

    31. #64
      Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      15's are way outside the factory warranty or 5 yr CPO. Maybe early production 16s still apply. I could be very wrong but I interpreted his post in the sense that later models are coming in under the new CPO??? Which is why I asked?
      You are wrong. MY15.5 cars are not outside the new CPO program.
      Depends on in service date. 15.5s began being manufactured in june 2014. So anything put into service January 2015 or before no longer qualifies. Anything moving forward would be done by years end im sure on 5 yr Cpo. Again, not sure quantity languishing around in Dec 2015 and being put into service Dec 2015...but id guess far more are out of warrant or soon expired.

      My q5.5 runs til june 2022 on 7yr cpo.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-27-2019 at 08:56 PM.

    32. #65
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      39,079
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Depends on in service date. 15.5s began being manufactured in june 2014. So anything put into service January 2015 or before no longer qualifies. Anything moving forward would be done by years end im sure on 5 yr Cpo. Again, not sure quantity languishing around in Dec 2015 and being put into service Dec 2015...but id guess far more are out of warrant or soon expired.

      My q5.5 runs til june 2022 on 7yr cpo.
      MyVolvoS60,

      What do you do for a living?
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

    33. #66
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      485
      Currently my inventory shows 18 new 2019 Volvos (all models) and 64 2020s... so 25% of our current inventory is going to be sold with a 2020 in service date but be a 2019 model year car. Now obviously that's not 25% of our 2019 inventory for the whole year, but it's a fair number of cars, and I'd bet that number isn't uncommon across the US. Just to clarify, in service is the date the car is sold or punched by Volvo, not it's production date, or date it shows up on the lot.

      Also, a Volvo does not need to have a full year left... if you look at Volvo's CPO page it states "The Volvo must be no older than five years old and it must have 80,000 miles or fewer with a "clean" Vehicle History Report."

      So you can certify a Volvo with 6 months left if you wanted... Why would you? Well, because you can extend it out to a full 10 years for much less money than most traditional additional term warranties.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

    34. #67
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,185
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      15's are way outside the factory warranty or 5 yr CPO. Maybe early production 16s still apply. I could be very wrong but I interpreted his post in the sense that later models are coming in under the new CPO??? Which is why I asked?
      You are wrong. MY15.5 cars are not outside the new CPO program.
      Depends on in service date. 15.5s began being manufactured in june 2014. So anything put into service January 2015 or before no longer qualifies. Anything moving forward would be done by years end im sure on 5 yr Cpo. Again, not sure quantity languishing around in Dec 2015 and being put into service Dec 2015...but id guess far more are out of warrant or soon expired.

      My q5.5 runs til june 2022 on 7yr cpo.
      You clearly just like to argue. What Grecian said is correct. There was no need to make this post. We can all do math. Making assumptions based on what you'd guess is of no use. We've reached the point of this thread where you start repeating everything. Old CPO was 7 years, average miles people drive per year, blah blah blah.

    35. #68
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      730
      What is the “statue of limitations” on complaining about the New CPO and how it “isn’t as good” as the old cpo? It’s been over a year already... seems like plenty of people are still buying like-new Volvo’s with the New CPO.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    36. #69
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      39,079
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Depends on in service date. 15.5s began being manufactured in june 2014. So anything put into service January 2015 or before no longer qualifies. Anything moving forward would be done by years end im sure on 5 yr Cpo. Again, not sure quantity languishing around in Dec 2015 and being put into service Dec 2015...but id guess far more are out of warrant or soon expired.

      My q5.5 runs til june 2022 on 7yr cpo.
      You provide incorrect info; eligibility for certification does not depend on when the car was entered in service but on an eligible model year. Any MY15.5 VOLVO, right now, regardless of when it was originally sold is eligible to be Certified.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

    37. #70
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      39,079
      Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      What is the “statue of limitations” on complaining about the New CPO and how it “isn’t as good” as the old cpo? It’s been over a year already... seems like plenty of people are still buying like-new Volvo’s with the New CPO.
      To the tune of almost 26% higher rate, nationally... I think that speaks volume about how the new program and its variety of warranty extensions is perceived by buyers.

      As a matter of fact, the conquest rate from other brands is at a higher rate with Certified Volvos vs what new Volvos accomplish.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Volvo Certified Warranty on a preowned XC60?
      By Greggt in forum General Volvo Discussions
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM
    2. How I got screwed out of my Volvo certified pre-owned warranty
      By CRRC in forum General Volvo Discussions
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 07-22-2008, 05:30 PM
    3. Replies: 1
      Last Post: 06-13-2008, 12:14 PM
    4. 2001 V70 T5, Volvo Certified Warranty
      By JJMAN in forum FWD & AWD Cars For Sale
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 11-06-2004, 10:30 AM
    5. Certified XC90 or New XC90 with Volvo Extended Warranty - Yannis
      By JethroJackson in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-02-2004, 08:50 PM