Dip stick full oil level Castrol Synthetic Oil
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Dip stick full oil level Castrol Synthetic Oil

I have had 7 Volvos over the years and now have a 2012 XC70 3.2 LT purchased used and a 2015 XC70 T6 purchased new.
      The Volvo dealer tells me that the full oil level on the dip stick is just above the second X from the bottom and just below the the second X from the top.
      I have looked on line and can not find any info to confirm that any comments?
      The Volvo dealer also tells me that the castrol synthetic oil that they sell has a special additive for Volvos comments.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I just did change the oil on my '15.5 XC60 T6 last week and the 7.2 quart specification from the manual only gets it to mid-way between the low and high points on the dipstick.

I used Mobil 1 5w 30 which meets the requirements spelled out in the manual. The requirement I was focused on was ACEA A5/B5 and that was the only oil I saw when I was shopping that met that spec.

The Castrol Synthetic from the dealer is a great option too.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Thanks for the info Wayne T.
      I just had my XC70 T6 in for the 96000km service yesterday at my Volvo dealer and service tech put to much oil in the engine 3/8 of an inch above the top full X so had to return this morning this morning to have some oil removed not a happy camper.
      I think there are several garages and owners of Volvos out there that are making the same mistake by adding oil to the top of the X on the dip stick.
      Not sure why Volvo have not changed the design of the dip stick.
      Thanks again Wayne
      Dave T Ontario Canada

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

When refilling with oil after draining the oil pan and changing the filter, if you fill it to the MAX line, the level on the dipstick will go down about 1/8" upon starting the engine (as the oil filter refills). The dipstick reading is intended to be checked when enough time has passed after shutting off the engine (10 min) for all the oil in the engine to drain back down (also implying that the oil filter is filled).

Oil Level

Hi pbierre I checked the oil level in the morning before I started the car and the oil level was 3/8 of an inch above the top X on the dip stick so there was way to much oil in the engine.
      When there is to much oil in an engine the oil will foam and will not lubricate the way it should and will cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
      Hi pbierre I checked the oil level in the morning before I started the car and the oil level was 3/8 of an inch above the top X on the dip stick so there was way to much oil in the engine.
      When there is to much oil in an engine the oil will foam and will not lubricate the way it should and will cause problems.
      Agreed....the simple fix is to use an oil suction pump, and remove about 1/2 qt. I don't know what the nominal clearance is between the oil pan meniscus and the lower travel of the crankshaft, but it should accommodate sloshing and wave-action as the car is being driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      I just did change the oil on my '15.5 XC60 T6 last week and the 7.2 quart specification from the manual only gets it to mid-way between the low and high points on the dipstick.

I used Mobil 1 5w 30 which meets the requirements spelled out in the manual. The requirement I was focused on was ACEA A5/B5 and that was the only oil I saw when I was shopping that met that spec.

The Castrol Synthetic from the dealer is a great option too.
      Glad I saw this post because I was used to the 7.82 qts used in my '10 S80 T6, and now see that our new'15.5 XC60 T6 will use 7.18 qts when I change it.

To the original question, on the first oil change on the '10 S80 T6 back 3 yrs ago when we bought the car I had the same issue ... put in the stated amount 7.82 qts and it was barely on the bottom of the dipstick range. I continued to add almost another quart against my better judgement and it still didn't go to the top hatch mark. Like you I had never had this issue with any other Volvo so I posed the issue here to which there were mixed replies ie. oil sensor/no oil sensor indicative of a different pan size, and a dipstick change that may have been updated, but no certain answer. What I ended up doing was looking up the dipstick part number on multiple reliable oem parts websites (Tasca, Lisle, Mitchell, etc) and they were not same part number that was on my stick, so I bought a new one, drained the oil and refilled with new (I had driven about 700 miles). Since then I reliably only get to the halfway point in the range but I never add more than the prescribed amount of 7.82 qts. Car doesn't use oil, stays at the halfway range mark and it seems fine.
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio, Nav, Climate, Blis
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Pkg, E46 bi-xenon retro
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate
      Previous: '05 S60 T5, '04 S80 2.5T, '98 V70 T5, '96 854 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      ... snip ...
      Since then I reliably only get to the halfway point in the range but I never add more than the prescribed amount of 7.82 qts. Car doesn't use oil, stays at the halfway range mark and it seems fine.
      I've had cars that would consistently use a half quart or so and then just stop using .
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

Quote Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
      I've had cars that would consistently use a half quart or so and then just stop using .
      If the initial dipstick measurement is during an oil change upon filling up with fresh oil, then could it be you're simply seeing the first half quart swallowed up by the new (empty) oil filter? The oil filter has a check valve preventing its contents from draining back down into the pan (to get oil flowing quicker to bearings when the engine first starts up). When doing an oil change, I don't measure the dipstick until I've run the engine about 30 seconds to fill the oil filter back up.
      Last edited by pbierre; 01-13-2020 at 09:45 AM.

The manual on my 2009 gives the same 7.2 quart spec. I find that using exactly 8 quarts makes the oil level go up to max after the oil filter is filled back up.
      2009 XC 70 T6. Electric Silver / Anthracite. Premium and Climate.

That oil level dip stick has created so many problem and overfilled vehichles.
      1. Drive your car for 10 minutes.
      2. Stop and switch off the car.
      3. Check oil level.

That is what Volvo said to me at least.
      Get the cheapest price of any CS:GO Skin - https://CSGOWeapons.com

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements