SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Auto Transmission Upgrade???

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RTYPEMIKKE 
#1 ·
Hey guys and girls I'm Mikke, I am the proud Owner of a 2004 s60R w 116k all original miles to it transmission and motor!!! I am fixing her up for daily driving at max possible boost and I do NOT want to CONVERT to MANUAL I just want a better performance ready transmission either 5spd or *(6spd preferably) I found these two models, the 6spd(AWF21 TF-80SC TRANSMISSION) or the 5spd(AW55-50SN / AF33 TRANSMISSION) however I dont know which is better for the R and which will be able to handle 400hp+ any tips recommendations and advice is excepted please HELP ME!! HAHAHA

#3 ·
The 6spd auto is specified to handle more torque than the 5spd. I'm thinking that you have two reasonable options:
1) Pull any upgrades you've made, sell your car, buy an 06/07, reinstall your parts, and be done with it.
2) Keep your car after confirming that ATF has been changed at regular intervals and the trans is in solid operating condition. I.e. no hard down shifts, no shift flares, no burnt fluid;
Install an auxillary ATF cooling unit(search the forum for installs). I believe Dougy documented the install on his MY06. Continue the regular fluid change/flush intervals.

You might want to reach out to Robert or Gustav to shed some light on what a swap like this would entail.

kTaLgsTo is right. It is not impossible to swap a 6spd auto but this would be a bigger undertaking than a manual swap.
> TCM is 1) keyed to the vehicle and 2) programmed differently for AW55(5spd) vs. TF80SC(6spd);
> CEM reprogramming may be required; Hilton charges $600 for this for an M66 swap;
To my knowledge, what you're asking about has not been attempted so your price may be higher.
> ECM reprogramming would be required; Again, this would be a first so you may pay a premium.
> Wiring and pinouts would need to be checked for compatibility. Do any of the modules in question have additional or omitted pins between model years?

There are other fitment related bits to consider (e.g. different collar sleeve) but I'll stop it here. I only did the manual swap because my 5spd was failing, I had already put plenty of work into the car, and finding an 05+ M66 in my price range, that hadn't been beaten on, seemed impossible. Prices have gone down since then so you may have better luck. Like you, I asked about swapping in a tf80sc, but it was quickly apparent that it was not an option worth further consideration.

#5 ·
Brother Matt you are much appreciated my man I do believe my current trans is good only hard shift I have is low rpm pulls from 1st to 2nd otherwise not a single flaw so far, i assumed this idea was a bit much but i wanted to see if anyone else considered it or even DONE IT

#6 ·
We are run the same desire. Hilton suggest me to contact Level 10 transmission. I contact them. They came bullet proof on their product more than 700 WHP

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.