ET-55 Wheels Fit?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 12 of 12
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      45

      Question ET-55 Wheels Fit?

      Has anyone put wheels with a ET-55 offset on their S90? Did you have to use spacers?

      I'm considering buying a set of wheels for winter tires. Thanks for the help!
      2018 S90 T5 AWD Momentum

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      512
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBullShow View Post
      Has anyone put wheels with a ET-55 offset on their S90? Did you have to use spacers?

      I'm considering buying a set of wheels for winter tires. Thanks for the help!
      I used ET-55 offset wheels on our V90cc for winter wheels. They're Polestar wheels, so everything else (bore, lug spacing and shape) were perfect matches.

    4. #3
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBullShow View Post
      Has anyone put wheels with a ET-55 offset on their S90? Did you have to use spacers?

      I'm considering buying a set of wheels for winter tires. Thanks for the help!
      Just keep in mind that wheel offset doesn't mean much without knowing the width of the rim.

      Assuming it is the same width as a stock 18" 8" wide rim most S90's came with, it will probably be fine but it might be close to rubbing.

      The stock 18's have an offset of 42mm, so a 55mm offset will mean that the center of the wheel will be 13mm further in. There is a chance that might rub at full turns, but it is probably small.

      If the offset is 0, exactly half of the width of the rim sits on either side of the wheel hub mounting surface.

      With a 55mm offset, this is shifted 55mm inward (it's counter intuitive, you'd think more offset would move it further out, but that's not how it is measured)


      For vehicle Dynamics it's generally a good idea to stick as close as possible to the original equipment, but it's not a huge deal as long as it doesn't rub.

      Even Volvo themselves have a 5.5mm offset range from smallest (42mm to highest 47.5mm) on the factory wheels so there is a range that is acceptable.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      45
      Thanks for the replies guys.
      2018 S90 T5 AWD Momentum

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      Ledyard, CT
      Posts
      237
      call Nick at Re-Volv in Oxford, MA. I picked up a set of 19” OEM wheels from him for cheap. He gets port take off wheels and sells them for a steal. He’ll ship if it’s too far.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

    8. #6
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by xSpecBx View Post
      call Nick at Re-Volv in Oxford, MA. I picked up a set of 19” OEM wheels from him for cheap. He gets port take off wheels and sells them for a steal. He’ll ship if it’s too far.
      I'll have to check that place out. It's in my neck of the woods (even though Oxford is kind of in the middle of nowhere)

    9. #7
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      6,019
      For my winters, I used my old set of 19x8 ET55 Bor's, adding 10mm spacers to get them away from the suspension and brakes.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

      Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      Earth
      Posts
      103
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Just keep in mind that wheel offset doesn't mean much without knowing the width of the rim.

      Assuming it is the same width as a stock 18" 8" wide rim most S90's came with, it will probably be fine but it might be close to rubbing.

      The stock 18's have an offset of 42mm, so a 55mm offset will mean that the center of the wheel will be 13mm further in. There is a chance that might rub at full turns, but it is probably small.

      If the offset is 0, exactly half of the width of the rim sits on either side of the wheel hub mounting surface.

      With a 55mm offset, this is shifted 55mm inward (it's counter intuitive, you'd think more offset would move it further out, but that's not how it is measured)


      For vehicle Dynamics it's generally a good idea to stick as close as possible to the original equipment, but it's not a huge deal as long as it doesn't rub.

      Even Volvo themselves have a 5.5mm offset range from smallest (42mm to highest 47.5mm) on the factory wheels so there is a range that is acceptable.
      the range you are talking about is based on width of the rim,... Paying with ET ...you play with scrub radius

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      Ledyard, CT
      Posts
      237
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      I'll have to check that place out. It's in my neck of the woods (even though Oxford is kind of in the middle of nowhere)
      It’s definitely in the middle of nowhere. The shop is in some industrial park, but his prices for wheels were nuts. He was asking for $850 for wheels and tires. Agreed on $620 for wheels only. I live in SE CT and when I went to pick up the wheels one of them was a little scuffed. He offered me another wheel or drop $80 off the agreed upon price. I took the scuffed wheel and with Nokian Hakka R3s the whole setup cost me $1500. The wheels alone from any website are $500-600 each. I half jokingly asked if the wheels were stolen because the price just didn’t make sense. He is definitely a Volvo guy and knows his stuff. The lot is filled with Volvo’s either from customers, parts cars or ones they’re fixing to sell. It was worth the few hours of my time to go get wheels from him and I’d do it again if I was in the market.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      45
      I gave him a ring. He put me on his list to call back when he gets more wheels.

      On a side note: I used to live in Gales Ferry and worked at EB, but just recently moved to NY.
      2018 S90 T5 AWD Momentum

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      Ledyard, CT
      Posts
      237
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBullShow View Post
      I gave him a ring. He put me on his list to call back when he gets more wheels.

      On a side note: I used to live in Gales Ferry and worked at EB, but just recently moved to NY.
      That’s where I work. Been there a little over 11 years.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

    14. #12
      Junior Member Zetec2000's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      10
      Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      the range you are talking about is based on width of the rim,... Playing with ET ...you play with scrub radius
      Passenger cars like your Volvo will be set up with at least a little bit of Negative Scrub radius. This consistently pulls the wheels in, which is good for emergency conditions like a blowout or single brake failure.
      Moving the tire further inboard by a small amount (<5mm) will usually be imperceptible to the driver. Going more can make steering heavy, but is more often an issue with clearance to hard parts on the suspension, as noted in earlier posts. More negative Scrub won't make the car unsafe.

      On the other hand, adding positive scrub can be a problem. As scrub approaches zero, the car will get a bit twitchy, as the pull on the tires switches inside/outside with changes in road surface, etc.. Positive scrub is fun in lightweight race cars, but not for the passenger market.

    15. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Updated 55-51SN Automatic Compatibility with prior 55-50SN
      By boosted_xc70 in forum V70 & V70XC & XC70 (2001-2007)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 02-04-2019, 01:56 PM
    2. 18x8 ET 35. will they fit?
      By onezero in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 10-24-2013, 07:02 PM
    3. 17x7 et 45 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's in Bronze. Fit over BBK.
      By yellow95 in forum Wheels & Tires Classifieds
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-01-2013, 10:54 AM
    4. Would 225/55/16 tires fit to my Meteor wheels?
      By ikorman in forum S70, V70 & V70XC (1998-2000)
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 09-29-2004, 08:53 AM
    5. 5/55/15 and 205/55/16Winter tire size?
      By nyerinmontreal in forum V70 & V70XC & XC70 (2001-2007)
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 11-06-2002, 01:48 PM