Car won't start until 2nd or 3rd ignition attempt? SSS or Starter, Fuel Pump, Battery?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 6 of 6
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      47

      Car won't start until 2nd or 3rd ignition attempt? SSS or Starter, Fuel Pump, Battery?

      Back again!

      This issue has been intermittent for about a few months now, and started happening after my brawl with the starter last winter.

      From what I read in the sticky, the Start, Shudder, Stall engages the engine but turns off before settling to idle, correct?

      My experience is:

      * Put in Key
      * Turn key to ignition, power on car
      * Ignition engages, but stops about 1 sec in
      * Turn key to neutral/non-ignition position
      * Turn key to ignition
      * Either car turns on, or repeat at MOST once more.

      I replaced my starter last winter (~Late Jan.) and the problem of turning over the engine continued on. My battery is at the minimum of requirements for it to operate, at 700 CCA's, but was new from the lot when purchased last year.

      I am gearing up to replace two mounts (Torque and Right, Passenger-Side mount) and would like to see if this is something I can tackle, before having to take it over to Jim Fischer Volvo for a ~$200 diagnostic and costly software update, IF that even ends up being the issue.

      Thanks for any/all help!

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Global Moderator tmtalpey's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      Eastern MA
      Posts
      8,907
      SSS was fixed by a Volvo software update over a decade ago. Unless yours has been hibernating that long, it isn't that.

      When you say "ignition engages", do you mean the starter cranks? And then cuts out in 1 second? And what do mean by "car turns on"? Is the instrument panel not lighting up?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      47
      Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      SSS was fixed by a Volvo software update over a decade ago. Unless yours has been hibernating that long, it isn't that.

      When you say "ignition engages", do you mean the starter cranks? And then cuts out in 1 second? And what do mean by "car turns on"? Is the instrument panel not lighting up?
      Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be SSS.

      Starter Cranks, then stops midway, as if I had pulled the key, after 1 second.

      Instrument panel is lighting up, everything looks normal. Waht I mean- Either the car completely cranks and works flawlessly, or I get another 1 sec crank, then repeat the steps.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      IIRC Fuel starting pressure is 55-60psi, and running pressure is 45-46PSI. Can check that with a normal handheld.

      Get yourself a Volvo specific handheld (Autophix ES610) or something similar and you can forgo the diagnostic fee for the rest of your days, as it reads all the volvo codes and modules and resets all lights. Volvo can produce specific poor relay performance codes. I replaced mine and my code went away, but I had no particular signs it was going bad.

      Can you short out your starter and see if you can recreate the issue (safely)? Monitor battery voltages and see if your guy drops to insanely low voltage very quickly, or if your voltage across the wire is much lower than expected, etc...
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      47
      Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      IIRC Fuel starting pressure is 55-60psi, and running pressure is 45-46PSI. Can check that with a normal handheld.

      Get yourself a Volvo specific handheld (Autophix ES610) or something similar and you can forgo the diagnostic fee for the rest of your days, as it reads all the volvo codes and modules and resets all lights. Volvo can produce specific poor relay performance codes. I replaced mine and my code went away, but I had no particular signs it was going bad.

      Can you short out your starter and see if you can recreate the issue (safely)? Monitor battery voltages and see if your guy drops to insanely low voltage very quickly, or if your voltage across the wire is much lower than expected, etc...
      How can I go about shorting it out?

      Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

    8. #6
      Quote Originally Posted by deeveeance View Post
      How can I go about shorting it out?

      Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
      I have some spare 2/0 cable in my garage - I'm gonna play with it this Friday/Weekend and see if I can become Electro and get you an answer. Sorry it can't be sooner, life's too damg busy for me at the moment.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

    9. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 18
      Last Post: 01-04-2018, 08:48 PM
    2. Car doesn't crank until 2nd or 3rd try - starter?
      By Legtayor in forum V70 & V70XC & XC70 (2001-2007)
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 07-07-2016, 11:12 AM
    3. Dealer says that my 2nd O2 sensor being bad is making s40 SSS...
      By Chris Nanfeldt in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 12-06-2014, 03:49 PM
    4. Fuel Pump Relay / fuel pump 2003 V70 T5 car will not start
      By Dave T in forum V70 & V70XC & XC70 (2001-2007)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 06-23-2012, 09:16 AM
    5. Replies: 14
      Last Post: 01-01-2008, 03:14 PM