Standby Mode
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Standby Mode

Standby Mode

I haven’t used the car in a few days and when I opened the Volvo app, it said that the car was in standby mode to save battery and the commands may take one hour to get executed.
      I never heard of that and find it a bit puzzling. What battery drainage occurs when the car is off other than the modem being on standby?
      The more puzzling thing is why once a remote command is sent to warm the car as an example, it takes an hour instead of waking it up immediately?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

While it is off there is still a substantial amount of "always on" items that pull at the battery. I would imagine that standby mode reduces the frequency of scanning for a key fob, listening on the cell data for commands. I guess that it scans at some much longer frequency t save battery.
      Current - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription - Bright Silver - Amber Interior
      Previous - 2013 XC60 T6 R-Design - Passion Red - Black/Beige Sport Interior

The explanation has been in the owner’s manual from Day 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It's a shame that it works like that. One of the first things I probably want to do if my car's been sitting idle during the Winter months is to remote start it to warm it up so it's not an ice box when I climb back in!
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum

All cars I’ve owned (Lexus, MBZ, BMW, and Tesla) go into various stages of shutting down some systems the longer a car has been turned off. It’s all to preserve battery to help e.g. if you park at the airport and leave for a month, it may have more charge left when you try to start it.

My former Tesla was the most sophisticated in this process of any I’ve owned... I had cockpit settings to control the WiFi part of it e.g. if I wanted the car to keep it’s connectivity with the WWW active even when off so responsiveness to the app would be near immediate — the cost to me of doing that was about 3-5 miles of range/day (A LOT). OTOH, I could set it so it would only check once per hour, and IIRC after the first few hours it was parked, it dropped into then turning WiFi off, but every hour after that turned it on, performed a check to the mothership to see if any requests were there which it handled, then turned WiFi back off again to sleep — that option didn’t cost me much range by itself — but as you found, depending where it’s internal timer was to start up it’s WiFi or Cellular connection to see if the servers had something for it to do, I could wait an hour for my app to respond. My choice.

In addition, the car did things like after a certain number of hours or days (varied by component), it turned off the external antenna used by the charge port, the multiple antenna on both sides and back of the car so your FOB could automatically unlock the doors as you approach or by using the FOB remotely to do the same — in those cases if the car had shut the antenna down, you had to physically touch the handle with FOB in hand to make the door open — it always kept the basic method available even in sleep mode. Additional refinements for battery saver came a year or 2 after I took delivery to do things like temporarily turn off the antenna for the FOB after it opened the doors but you didn’t physically open them a couple of times in a row (e.g. you had the car locked in your garage, FOB in your pocket and just walked past it a couple of times doing other things — the software figured-out you were not trying to get in and saved battery by not presenting handles, turning on puddle lights, etc any more until you physically touched the handle until a different timer passed when it went back to normal. Phewww. Complicated, but all part of Tesla’s “save the battery” approach...)

I gave Tesla examples there as it’s what I’m most familiar with right now while I wait for delivery, but I’m sure you gather the pieces that apply to the Volvo... Examples are all the same, just how far one mfgr goes in battery preservation vs another is what changes. None of it is a problem from my perspective — all a good thing trying to make sure my car will start when I need it to — especially if I’ve left it somewhere for an extended period of time without a battery tender.
      Bert

In Transit: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription, Polestar Optimized - Est <12/31 Delivery
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by robogar View Post
      It's a shame that it works like that. One of the first things I probably want to do if my car's been sitting idle during the Winter months is to remote start it to warm it up so it's not an ice box when I climb back in!
      Precisely!

Well, given the choice I would rather have a charge in the battery and be able to start it, than a dead battery and not being able to go anywhere.

Since it only goes into this standby mode after a few days, obviously you are not going to be in a rush to start it, and now that you know this, it shouldn't be a problem.
      Current - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription - Bright Silver - Amber Interior
      Previous - 2013 XC60 T6 R-Design - Passion Red - Black/Beige Sport Interior

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements