P80 AWD: Driveshaft removal
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

P80 AWD: Driveshaft removal

Realized after some fresh snow that my all-wheel drive is not functioning. The car is up on blocks and when I put it into drive only the two front wheels are spinning with the driver side slowing occasionally and making an awkward noise then seemingly catching up.

The driveshaft does not turn at all unless I rotate the driver side rear wheel.

I set out to remove the drive shaft in order to further diagnose the issues with angle gear or viscous coupler. I have all the bolts loosened on the front flange, the two bolts holding the carrier bearing and the four bolts that hold the entire exhaust/carrier bearing plate to body.

How do I brake loose the six bolts on the rear driveshaft flange. The drive shaft seems to spin freely when I go to loosen any of these six bolts. I tried to keep it from spinning at the wheel but it freely spins regardless of how I secure the wheel. I tried to hold on to the drive shaft itself with one of those adjustable oil filter wrenches to no avail. Any ideas that might help?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Can you use the E-brake to keep the back wheels from turning?

Also fwiw, if the driveshaft is not spinning when the front wheels are, your problem is in the angle gear. The DS should always spin with the front wheels. The VC at the rear is where the slip would occur.
      -Jason

1998 Saffron C70 HT Coupe
      1998 Saffron V70R AWD

...And many more non-Volvos

Impact driver or jam the rear coupling flange with a pry bar.

When you put it all back together there are updated M8 socket head cap screws that shoud be used instead of the original M6.

Sounds like AG or collar has stripped. You need to check the freewheel on the VC because thats the likely culprit for damaging AG/CS under normal operation.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 295k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks. Found an old oil filter wrench that worked well around the flange. Got the sucker out last night.

What are these upgraded bolts? Will definitely pick them up for reinstall as some of the hex heads are rounded out.

Also, the drive shaft itself looks good and there was no shaking or rattling. So I'll likely reinstall it with an rebuild angle gear and replacement viscous coupler. The front boot does seem missing a chunk. Can this be rebuilt?

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Use p2 bolts
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      Use p2 bolts
      Thanks. I see the part for P2 and it seems similar in every way. What changed between part numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by PresseR View Post
      Thanks. I see the part for P2 and it seems similar in every way. What changed between part numbers?

The bolt head went from m6 to m8. Much less prone to stripping.

Thanks. Found an old oil filter wrench that worked well around the flange. Got the sucker out last night.

What are these upgraded bolts? Will definitely pick them up for reinstall as some of the hex heads are rounded out.

Also, the drive shaft itself looks good and there was no shaking or rattling. So I'll likely reinstall it with an rebuild angle gear and replacement viscous coupler. The front boot does seem missing a chunk. Can this be rebuilt?

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement.

http://coloradodriveshaft.com/ Is the go to place to get the prop/drive shaft rebuilt
      1998 V70R Mystic Silver/Graphite
      1996 RN Swapped 854R Bright Red/Graphite

Past:
      1998 V70 NA/m Classic Red/Light Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
      http://coloradodriveshaft.com/ Is the go to place to get the prop/drive shaft rebuilt
      Yeah I'm hoping to avoid spending that money. My existing driveshaft looks okay with one small crack in the front boot. No vibrations or wobbles while I was driving it.

last night I got the angle gear out and took a look at the sleeve which slid right off of the transmission output shaft. There is definitely a small amount of wear on that transmission output. The sleeve itself is very shark toothed, if you will. It's not stripped out completely so I'm not sure if this was failing and keeping the drive shaft from rotating. When I turn the drive shaft output on the AG both ends of the AG spin as well.

what's the proper way to test this angle gear before I simply replace the gear oil, sleeve and seals and put it back in. Hoping to avoid buying a whole new angle gear or rebuilding this one.

If you are lucky a new coupling will fix it.
      If you turn the flange on the output , it should turn the input spline . On the angle box . Feel for excess play and rough ness.
      Probably worth repealing the angle box as most leak.
      Saffron V70R 1998 Auto FWD,
      Silver 2006 V70 D5 manual FWD, fixing slowly.
      Blue 2002 V70 D5 manual FWD, striped and gone.
      Champagne 2003 V70 D5 AWD Auto, striped and gone.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
      If you are lucky a new coupling will fix it.
      If you turn the flange on the output , it should turn the input spline . On the angle box . Feel for excess play and rough ness.
      Probably worth repealing the angle box as most leak.
      It does! And the angle gear itself feels smooth with little to no play.

Curiously, if I rotate from the transmission output with the sleeve slid on, I can keep the driveshaft output from rotating easily with my other hand. Iím thinking this isnít normal and maybe eluding to a bum gearbox.

When tested with all four corners jacked up, neither my rear driveshaft nor rear wheels were rotating. This led me to suspect angle gear and or sleeve.

Is there any traction or computer input to this all wheel drive system that is to be considered?

I tested the viscous coupling and it does seem to be not very viscous but I have a line in on another one.

Appreciate any input as I sort this old R out and try to get it in the original running order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think from your description, if I have it right, that is just normal dif operation and will be turning the other drive shaft.
      Saffron V70R 1998 Auto FWD,
      Silver 2006 V70 D5 manual FWD, fixing slowly.
      Blue 2002 V70 D5 manual FWD, striped and gone.
      Champagne 2003 V70 D5 AWD Auto, striped and gone.

Can't post a video here but have a good one that shows what I'm talking about.

I can keep the rear drive shaft flange from rotating without much trouble. I would think that an angle gear like this would be fixed and I wouldn't be able to hold the drive shaft back while turning the input.

I'm looking for a good angle gear.

God it feels good to get blue box parts in for a 20 year old car.

It does! And the angle gear itself feels smooth with little to no play.
      Curiously, if I rotate from the transmission output with the sleeve slid on, I can keep the driveshaft output from rotating easily with my other hand. Iím thinking this isnít normal and maybe eluding to a bum gearbox.

When tested with all four corners jacked up, neither my rear driveshaft nor rear wheels were rotating. This led me to suspect angle gear and or sleeve.

Is there any traction or computer input to this all wheel drive system that is to be considered?

I tested the viscous coupling and it does seem to be not very viscous but I have a line in on another one.

Appreciate any input as I sort this old R out and try to get it in the original running order.
      There is no electrical input on the P80 AWD.
      1998 Saffron/Charcoal C70 GT, 1998 Saffron/Charcoal V70R AWD, & 1998 Black/Charcoal V70R AWD

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements