[S40 T5 2005] Driving is not comfortable, changing gears and not only makes it shake
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question [S40 T5 2005] SOLVED - Driving is not comfortable, changing gears and not only makes it shake

Hi,
      I've changed so far several sensors - Fuel pressure, MAF, whole Throttle body. Last time I did passenger and transmission mounts change too.

My car has got strange and annoying driving symptoms. There are days when it drives really well, but most of the time it is just not comfortable and gentle.
      I mean - driving it is not comfortable - it's jerking, it is not gently changing the gears (1, 2) and accelerating from 0% throttle position makes it shake strongly. If you are at 0% throttle and you press it a bit whole car is being shaked.

I have also P0805 (CEM-3F01 / ECM-9100 / ECM-9110) Clutch pedal sensor codes.
      I know it is not rigid problem (because it disappear sometimes), so it probably would not be the problem with clutch, transmission etc.

Is there any possibility any other (if any) sensor could cause these problems?
      Could maybe MAP be the problem, because It was not changed yet? Or is it kind of ECU and adaptating problem.
      Last edited by mdziobas; 01-14-2020 at 10:59 AM.
      '05 S40 T5 Black /w Medusa & Trunk Lip

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

what mileage you on? possible clutch dmf issues?
      -------------------------------------------------
      2009 Volvo S40 - With a few mods

250K, so actually the deadline for Volvo. Engine runs perfect, not any oil eaten in a year. Now changed it, after two weeks it is still "brand new clear" (MAYBE IT IS NOT EVEN CIRCULATING?! )

Maybe it could be, but why some starts it will run better and not jerk? It is changing from one engine start to another.. Yesterday morning it was almost perfect, evening it became torment like before.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Look at his codes. ALL 3 of those codes are Clutch Pedal Sensor codes. There is a sensor on the side that can go bad and needs to be replaced, iirc it was fixed later on but there are plenty of oldies out there. It communicates clutch position to the ECM and it's not just simple ON/OFF for safety considerations. Going away and coming back would indicate it is worn out and expands/contracts based on temperature.

The electrical plug in portion on this part is the sensor itself.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...senso-31325388
      If you can find one at a junkyard it should be an relatively cheap replacement and solve most of your issues by just replacing the sensor itself.
      This is the assembly itself:

The link below is for the Genuine Volvo ones so you can see the assembly, however there is a Sachs unit for about $80 instead of Volvo's $250.
      https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...0-v50-31325386

As for the shakey shake while sitting there, and barely tapping the gas - it sounds like misfires to me. Additionally, when was the TCV replaced? It often goes bad and makes the car buck like an animal, and goes from working perfectly to not working and bucking and back to working perfectly and so on. It sits on the side of the turbo and looks like: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...volvo-30670449
      Last edited by avenger09123; 12-04-2019 at 11:23 AM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      As for the shakey shake while sitting there, and barely tapping the gas - it sounds like misfires to me. Additionally, when was the TCV replaced? It often goes bad and makes the car buck like an animal, and goes from working perfectly to not working and bucking and back to working perfectly and so on. It sits on the side of the turbo and looks like: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...volvo-30670449
      Wel.. didn't check this for half a year and wow. Didn't expect this. BTW TCV was not replaced yet.

EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
      Test result value: 1Count
      ----
      Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
      Test result value: 2Count
      ----
      EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
      ----
      Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
      Test result value: 1Count
      ----
      EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
      Test result value: 4Count
      ----
      Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
      Test result value: 8Count
      ----
      EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
      Test result value: 3Count
      ----
      Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
      ----
      EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
      ----
      Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
      Test result value: 3Count
      ----

Recording time was maybe 2 km and 5 min of ride! Report has been taken from Torque App.. what the..
      Last edited by mdziobas; 12-06-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Okay. Coming with fresh info.
      Lately I noticed if I wait a minute or two before and after every drive vehicle starts to behaviour better. It drives more smooth etc. I thought it's my seeming, but checking it for few days gave me a brighter blook at the situation.
      I've ordered TCV gonna change it on days. Also wondering on changing MAP.

One question about boost - is it normal in turbocharged engines when you do WOT, release the throttle and turbo pumps even more revs for a while? I means it does not stop or drop immediately, but even rise. You can compare it to a moment when you depress clutch faster than releasing the throttle (engine speed rises). If not what could be the problem?

If it smooths out after warming up, that is pointing to something like a coil pack or perhaps the VVT. Of course, it could be the TCV as well, but in my experience that tends to be a good bit more random. I do not think the MAP sensor would do this.

The boost behavior you describe could have more than one possible cause. A sticky TCV is probably the most obvious. But it could also be a CBV issue, either a sticky one or a pinched vacuum line leading up to the intake manifold. It's this line that conveys the vacuum when you lift off the throttle - the vacuum actually pulls the CBV open, which quickly quenches the boost pressure. It does the opposite under load, the boost feeds back to hold the CBV closed, when boost is being called-for.

Bottom line, give the TCV a good going-over, or simply replace it. But check all three hoses going to it, and the CBV line while you're down there.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      If it smooths out after warming up, that is pointing to something like a coil pack or perhaps the VVT. Of course, it could be the TCV as well, but in my experience that tends to be a good bit more random. I do not think the MAP sensor would do this.

The boost behavior you describe could have more than one possible cause. A sticky TCV is probably the most obvious. But it could also be a CBV issue, either a sticky one or a pinched vacuum line leading up to the intake manifold. It's this line that conveys the vacuum when you lift off the throttle - the vacuum actually pulls the CBV open, which quickly quenches the boost pressure. It does the opposite under load, the boost feeds back to hold the CBV closed, when boost is being called-for.

Bottom line, give the TCV a good going-over, or simply replace it. But check all three hoses going to it, and the CBV line while you're down there.
      It does not smooth dependigly of the engine temperature. It is really random. Today I also noticed it runs better till the time I was stuck in a traffic jam for a longer time (lot of start and stops). Then it became torment again. Even later on evening it was still running worse than for ex. yesterday.
      I will replace TCV by XMAS and two intake one-way check valves because I bought them some time ago and still not replaced. I hope I will handle this job in a little rectangle garage.. Gonna give some update after!

Success!

Every single problem has been resolved by plugging in Clutch Position Sensor (this on clutch pump). It was totally unplugged.
      I am so happy! No more jerking, shaking when manipulating the throttle!

I had this problem since I bought this car, didn't ever thought CPS could do this !
      Last edited by mdziobas; 01-14-2020 at 10:19 AM.

I hope your issue stays resolved, but I am curious to see if you have repeated misfires. It's not impossible for two things to be broken at a time. You could clear the codes in Torque and see if you get any new ones. You might not always notice a misfire but the computer usually will.

Quote Originally Posted by HolySh!tIAmOnFire View Post
      I hope your issue stays resolved, but I am curious to see if you have repeated misfires. It's not impossible for two things to be broken at a time. You could clear the codes in Torque and see if you get any new ones. You might not always notice a misfire but the computer usually will.
      Hey,
      It took me a while to understand Torque's logic. I thought that misfires were being counted since you entered "Test results" . Actually it is collecting misfires since latest DTC clear.
      So the logs posted here were probably collected for xx or even xxx kilometers.

Took today 5 km city drive + several WOTs to test it. I had 0 misfires on every cylinder.
      I'll check it again later, after a week maybe.

BTW How many misfires are normal values? I heard that you shouldn't worry until you have DTC.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements