XC40 over XC60?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 25 of 25

    Thread: XC40 over XC60?

    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      3

      XC40 over XC60?

      Hi all,

      In the market for a new car and have seemingly landed on a Volvo. Only decision for me now is whether to get a XC60 or XC40. I like the looks and the performance of the XC40, but am wondering if anyone was in the same boat and what they picked/why?

      Thanks in advance and looking forward to getting into my first Volvo!

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      63
      drive them both, easily two of volvo's most popular vehicles right now but they drive quite differently, id describe the 40 as fun and playful drive, the 60 is more planted and luxurious. difference is the 40 is on the compact platform while the rest of Volvo current lineup is on spa(bigger) platform.

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      drive them both, easily two of volvo's most popular vehicles right now but they drive quite differently, id describe the 40 as fun and playful drive, the 60 is more planted and luxurious. difference is the 40 is on the compact platform while the rest of Volvo current lineup is on spa(bigger) platform.
      Understood and plan on going back to the dealer and trying the XC40, but was looking for more practical/experience based on people who were in a similar decision and what they chose. While the XC40 is on the compact platform, I’ve read that the actual usable space is similar to the XC60.

      Thanks for the reply!

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Music City
      Posts
      1,617
      Quote Originally Posted by NYSea View Post
      Understood and plan on going back to the dealer and trying the XC40, but was looking for more practical/experience based on people who were in a similar decision and what they chose. While the XC40 is on the compact platform, I’ve read that the actual usable space is similar to the XC60.

      Thanks for the reply!
      We have both and they are NOT similar with respect to actual usable space. The rear seat of the XC40 is a bit cramped and not as comfortable as the XC60 (seatback is very upright and not good for more than a short trip). The cargo capacity is definitely smaller and not configured the same so that adds to the smallness. While I like both for different reasons you should really spend some time with both before deciding. I do like the fact that you can take the XC40 parcel shelf and tuck it under the cargo floor. I also like the folding cargo floor of the XC40 but if you put a cargo tray in either you lose that flexibility. See if the dealer will let you take both on an overnight drive. As brich999 said above they both have their pluses and minuses...but are two very different vehicles in driving and feel.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.



      The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      39
      I find the xc40 is more expensive than it needs to be, making the xc60 more of a value for what you get. I love my xc40 but often i wish the cargo compartment was a little bigger, which the xc60 remedies. but i prefer the xc40 look over the xc60.

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      937
      I have both. 60 is more refined and actually, for me, easier to drive. The 40 is peppy and cute, but I like the 60 better.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      419
      We test drove both and bought a XC40. The XC60 had a jiggly ride and more body lean. We liked the way the XC40 handled better. The additional size of the 60 wasn’t needed for us and the 40 was big enough for four adults on a 10 day tour of Sweden on our OSD trip.

      Pricing is much better now on the XC40 vs when we bought last year. The only way we could get a discount was to do OSD. XC60s were already being discounted. The price difference between the 40 and the 60 wasn’t a decision maker for us. We were buying the vehicle we liked the best and weren’t buying by value for size.

      Looks are another thing. The 40 has a design that is different - or as different as a SUV can be. The 60s design didn’t appeal to us as much. It tends to get lost in a sea of similar vehicles.
      My bride’s - 2019 XC40 (July 2019 OSD), Momentum Mine - 2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition and 1996 VW GTI VR6 (bought new and still love it) Ours - 2008 Jeep GC Limited with a Hemi.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      So Cal, USA
      Posts
      214
      OP, I have an XC60 T8 in the middle of the Atlantic on it's way to me. For context, I am coming to the XC60 from 4-years of (massive) Tesla Model S AWD sedan (aka BEV) ownership, before that two different Lexus RXh (hybrid SUVs). I needed something physically smaller and that rode a bit higher than my Tesla, with a few other things I won't go-off-thread about here.

      I went into Volvo looking at both XC40 T5 & XC60 T8.

      XC40 T5 was smaller and a bit more fun to drive likely because of that. It was peppy enough perhaps, but certainly not from a torque perspective with what I knew from my Tesla or either of my former Lexus RXh which are more of the fair comparison here SUV-to-SUV. Thx XC40's size was best for my personal needs today (4 adults max only upon occasion, so the little bit of interior width difference was not an issue, and IIRC rear headroom is actually better in XC40 by 1" or so compared to the XC60. Check the specs.)

      XC60 is definitely bigger and you can feel it around corners at higher speed, although with Air Suspension (which is a whole other topic of pros/cons/cost on it's own) cornering and sway was not a concern for me. I didn't even drive a T5 or ICE variant as I knew if I went with an XC60 it would be a T8 Hybrid. That choice by itself set the XC60 apart from what XC40 offers today performance wise (there is no XC40 T8) -- but of course moved the price point up significantly at the same time. XC60 has a few more available features if you look closely and they make a difference for your needs, e.g. HUD is only in the XC60 Adv Pkg which is very desirable for me to have again; XC60 also has a higher standard and optional sound system. If color combos/choices matter, there are also differences between the XC40 and XC60 even with the same trim levels -- look closely at the outside and inside with some of the different panel/line/lighting detail if that matters to you; also some interior/exterior color combos exist in only one or the other model, and if headliner color matters, look closely as you configure each model, e.g. with Inscription blonde leather seats, XC60 has a blonde headliner, whereas XC40 has a charcoal headliner -- it's all a matter of preference, but subtle differences just the same.

      For me, the whole T8 and HUD thing is what made the biggest difference why I purchased the XC60. Those two things don't exist in the 2020 XC40 lineup. Being able to add the optional B&W sound system was a big bonus in the XC60, even though it set me back big bucks -- it's not though in the same category for me as what T8 & HUD were making a model choice. If those two features had been available in an XC40, that's what I would have definitely gone with as it's the better physical size for my needs (regardless of the headliner color! )

      Good luck with your decision.
      Bert

      Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

    11. #9
      Member Magic Marker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      North NJ
      Posts
      1,659
      I was torn between the 40 and 60 for many reasons... one being value for the 💰money. End of the day, I bought the XC40RD w/ P* because I wanted it. I love the look, creative storage solutions, wireless charging and driving dynamics... oh and the trash can 😆

      I test drove each back to back and only the T5 engine to keep it comparable. I also was only interested in the T5 for a more simplistic engine. One less moving part in the T5.

      I found the 40 so much more fun to drive, but there are drawbacks.

      40 has way more plastics in the cabin, but they did use them in less touched prone areas. As described above the back seats are a little more upright, but I seldom have passengers so it was a non issue for me. It's less luxurious vs. the 60. I feel that the 40 seat sits taller than the 60... 60 is more car like. This is really more personal preference.

      End of day, I paid more for my 40 whereas I could have bought a CPO'd 60 and would have gotten more car for the dollar. But I bought the car I wanted, not a deal.
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

    12. #10
      Junior Member kevinG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Northern California
      Posts
      654
      I chose the XC40 R-Design with Polestar, this time around. The vehicle is awesome off the line when Polestar is enabled. It is nimble and works well in tight areas, such as city parking and narrow streets. I also love surprising Porsche's going around corners and off the line. Of course the XC40 has a limited top speed, so don't plan on winning any races at the end. When it is in eco mode it is very quiet.

      I agree with others that the XC40, with its smaller wheelbase, can bounce around a bit compared to the XC60. The XC60 is a more relaxed drive. Both are good cars.
      2020 XC40 R Design T5 Polestar, bursting blue, July 2019
      2015 V60 T5, crystal pearl, platinum/tech/BLIS, July 2015
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011
      2004 XC90 2.5T, silver, OSD in Oct 2003

    13. #11
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      701
      Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      XC60 is definitely bigger and you can feel it around corners at higher speed, although with Air Suspension (which is a whole other topic of pros/cons/cost on it's own) cornering and sway was not a concern for me. I didn't even drive a T5 or ICE variant as I knew if I went with an XC60 it would be a T8 Hybrid. That choice by itself set the XC60 apart from what XC40 offers today performance wise (there is no XC40 T8) -- but of course moved the price point up significantly at the same time. XC60 has a few more available features if you look closely and they make a difference for your needs, e.g. HUD is only in the XC60 Adv Pkg which is very desirable for me to have again; XC60 also has a higher standard and optional sound system. If color combos/choices matter, there are also differences between the XC40 and XC60 even with the same trim levels -- look closely at the outside and inside with some of the different panel/line/lighting detail if that matters to you; also some interior/exterior color combos exist in only one or the other model, and if headliner color matters, look closely as you configure each model, e.g. with Inscription blonde leather seats, XC60 has a blonde headliner, whereas XC40 has a charcoal headliner -- it's all a matter of preference, but subtle differences just the same.

      For me, the whole T8 and HUD thing is what made the biggest difference why I purchased the XC60. Those two things don't exist in the 2020 XC40 lineup. Being able to add the optional B&W sound system was a big bonus in the XC60, even though it set me back big bucks -- it's not though in the same category for me as what T8 & HUD were making a model choice. If those two features had been available in an XC40, that's what I would have definitely gone with as it's the better physical size for my needs (regardless of the headliner color! )

      Good luck with your decision.
      When I was shopping to replace my Gen1 XC60 I really wanted to love the smaller XC40. Lack of HUD killed any hope of me getting one though. I never even test drove a XC40. I also wanted the PHEV so getting another 60 series was the only choice since I'm not ready to move up to the size of 90 series. I also couldn't see my self going down in HP/TQ from my Gen1 XC60 to the T5. I wanted more power, using less fuel and I got exactly that with my T8.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    14. #12
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      701
      Quote Originally Posted by kevinG View Post
      I chose the XC40 R-Design with Polestar, this time around. The vehicle is awesome off the line when Polestar is enabled. It is nimble and works well in tight areas, such as city parking and narrow streets. I also love surprising Porsche's going around corners and off the line. Of course the XC40 has a limited top speed, so don't plan on winning any races at the end. When it is in eco mode it is very quiet.

      I agree with others that the XC40, with its smaller wheelbase, can bounce around a bit compared to the XC60. The XC60 is a more relaxed drive. Both are good cars.
      Nobody ever expects the Volvo...
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      So Cal, USA
      Posts
      214
      Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      ... Lack of HUD killed any hope of me getting one though. I never even test drove a XC40. I also wanted the PHEV so...got exactly that with my T8.
      A KINDRID SPIRIT (and yes, I’m yelling!).
      Bert

      Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

    16. #14
      Member Magic Marker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      North NJ
      Posts
      1,659
      Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      A KINDRID SPIRIT (and yes, I’m yelling!).
      I would have loved to have HUD and BW sound as options on the 40, but it wasn't a deal killer for me. The funny thing the tipped the scales to the 40 over the 60 was the driving dynamics and the charging pad and trash can. 😇
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      So Cal, USA
      Posts
      214
      Quote Originally Posted by Magic Marker View Post
      I would have loved to have HUD and BW sound as options on the 40, but it wasn't a deal killer for me. The funny thing the tipped the scales to the 40 over the 60 was the driving dynamics and the charging pad and trash can. 
      I always love hearing what those last couple of almost-always subjective things are that tip the switch for each of us. Never the same, and always interesting!
      Bert

      Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

    18. #16
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Music City
      Posts
      1,617
      Quote Originally Posted by kevinG View Post
      I chose the XC40 R-Design with Polestar, this time around. The vehicle is awesome off the line when Polestar is enabled. It is nimble and works well in tight areas, such as city parking and narrow streets. I also love surprising Porsche's going around corners and off the line. Of course the XC40 has a limited top speed, so don't plan on winning any races at the end. When it is in eco mode it is very quiet.

      I agree with others that the XC40, with its smaller wheelbase, can bounce around a bit compared to the XC60. The XC60 is a more relaxed drive. Both are good cars.
      ...and you chose the best color. BB looks the best on an XC40 with that black roof. Enjoy!!!
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.



      The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Posts
      8
      From personal experience: the XC40 back row is very tight if you need to install rear facing car seat. I'm about 6 feet and the infant bucket seat *just* touches the back of the driver seat when I'm driving. (Let's not talk about how my wife wants even more leg room than me so she doesn't want the car seat behind her...)

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by elysio View Post
      From personal experience: the XC40 back row is very tight if you need to install rear facing car seat. I'm about 6 feet and the infant bucket seat *just* touches the back of the driver seat when I'm driving. (Let's not talk about how my wife wants even more leg room than me so she doesn't want the car seat behind her...)
      The fiancée and I aren’t thinking about kids yet, but I’m a little under 6 foot and fiancée is 5 foot even, so I think we’d be good in terms of fitting a seat if the kiddo thing got accelerated lol.

      In terms of just carrying adults in the back, did you find it sufficient? Thanks!

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      419
      I
      Quote Originally Posted by NYSea View Post
      The fiancée and I aren’t thinking about kids yet, but I’m a little under 6 foot and fiancée is 5 foot even, so I think we’d be good in terms of fitting a seat if the kiddo thing got accelerated lol.

      In terms of just carrying adults in the back, did you find it sufficient? Thanks!
      I’m 6’3 and my bride is 5’7. We fit fine in the back seat and spent 10 days in Sweden with a similar size couple (although one is a little shorter than me at 6 foot). None of us are skinny people. 😂

      I find that people expect different amounts of room in the back to be comfortable. What we find ok might not work for others.
      My bride’s - 2019 XC40 (July 2019 OSD), Momentum Mine - 2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition and 1996 VW GTI VR6 (bought new and still love it) Ours - 2008 Jeep GC Limited with a Hemi.

    22. #20
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      937
      Have both. Prefer driving the 60.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Northeast USA
      Posts
      295
      Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      Have both. Prefer driving the 60.
      Why?

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Posts
      34
      I went for the XC60, simply because of trunk size and more comfortable rear seats. You never know when you buy something and expect it to fit in the trunk. Anything related to fun performance/handling/fast cornering driving/etc, I would still prefer sedan over SUV.

      If trunk space is not priority, don't always have passangers all the time, don't have kids or will have kids (trust me you want spacious rear seats for that), more of a city driving then highway then go with XC40.
      Last edited by butterfly; 12-10-2019 at 10:27 PM.

    25. #23
      Member Magic Marker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      North NJ
      Posts
      1,659
      Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
      I went for the XC60, simply because of trunk size and more comfortable rear seats. You never know when you buy something and expect it to fit in the trunk. Anything related to fun performance/handling/fast cornering driving/etc, I would still prefer sedan over SUV.

      If trunk space is not priority, don't always have passengers all the time, don't have kids or will have kids (trust me you want spacious rear seats for that), more of a city driving then highway then go with XC40.
      I would agree with 99% of this... but I recently did 3 round trips from NJ to MA. Plenty comfortable on the highway especially with Pilot Assist. 👍
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      937
      Quote Originally Posted by Joeyboy View Post
      Why?
      40 (R) is a bit too small and fidgety compared to the 60 which is more comfortable (in a sporty way too) and seems more refined. The interior lights are a bit better in the 40 but the seats better in the 60. I have had the 19 60 R and now the 20 60 PE and the PE is a different beast suspension and brake wise. takes a bit of getting used to, but in the end is far more capable. Anyway, it is noticeable every time I've been driving the 40 and get back into my 60 and feels an upgrade. All that said, my wife likes the size and handling of the 40 better, so go figure...

      By the way, I don;t know if it is because of the softer regenerative brakes in my 60's, but the brakes in the 40R seem way too sensitive after driving the 60 and I can't quite seem to get the hang of them Way to grabby and jerky. Don't like them at all.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by NYSea View Post
      In terms of just carrying adults in the back, did you find it sufficient? Thanks!
      I would say yes there's enough space for adults. I can sit fine behind my own driving position, enough clearance for my knees.

    28. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. XC40 R-Design Totaled, New XC40 R-Design
      By jaynlisa in forum XC40 (CMA 2019- )
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 10-15-2019, 12:12 PM
    2. Test XC40 and ending up buying XC60 Today
      By Jeffnashua in forum XC60 (SPA: 2018- )
      Replies: 27
      Last Post: 04-30-2018, 12:50 PM
    3. XC40 vs XC60 vs 2019 S60?
      By TheRas900 in forum XC40 (CMA 2019- )
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 04-15-2018, 07:57 PM
    4. XC60 and XC40
      By McMurphy in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 38
      Last Post: 09-27-2017, 11:45 AM
    5. p0101 over and over and over and over and over and over...
      By MrUncanny in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 03-11-2013, 02:23 PM