High beams won't stay on
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

High beams won't stay on

All:

I'm trying to decide if this problem is the relay or the stalk switch. The car is a 2006 S60 T5 FWD.

When I pull back the stalk to turn the high beams on, they activate, but do not stay on when the stalk is released. It seems to me the problem could be either place, but I'm hoping there is a way to definitively identify which part is broken. Low beams operate normally.

Thanks!!

Brad

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I also have this issue occasionally with my 2005 S40. Most of of the time switching works, but sometimes not. When it doesn't and going from low to high, it works like flashing the high beams, in other words: the high beams stay on as long as I pull the stalk back, but when released, lights go back to low beams. In reverse situation, going from high to low, nothing happens (high beams stay on, cheers oncomers!). In extreme cases, I need to pull the stalk three times before getting the desired effect.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD automatic - Hilton stage 2+ with torque limit removal. Some mods: 3" DP & 2.5" catback, Do88 FMIC, Pumaspeed inlet plenum, ECU spacer.

Sounds dumb but is the dash circular light switch in the 12 o'clock position or 9?
      If in the 12, high beams should lock in. If in 9, it will revert back to low beam.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Sounds dumb but is the dash circular light switch in the 12 o'clock position or 9?
      If in the 12, high beams should lock in. If in 9, it will revert back to low beam.
      Not a dumb suggestion because the same thing happened to me when I got my first Volvo.
      Janet Jackson is truly 'UNBREAKABLE'. My heartbeat. LOVE you for LIFE JANET!!!

Canadian with DRL? Lights need to be switched ON for high beams to stay activated.
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Contrast Works Stage 2 tune with Eco Enhance mode, HEICO Bilsteins and springs, IPD Swaybars, strut brace conversion kit, and subframe bushing inserts. Fast FC05 20x8.5 with 255/45/20 Conti DWS06. Falken HS449 235/65/17 winters. JL 500/1 with Pioneer TS-SWX2502 subwoofer under cargo tray. LED low/hi beams, Tuxmats.

Quote Originally Posted by kyngofpop View Post
      Not a dumb suggestion because the same thing happened to me when I got my first Volvo.
      Yep. Spent some time trying to figure out why the high beams on the V70 wouldn't stay on. The funny part is that we didn't even know about it for 6 years. Living in the Seattle/Tacoma area we never used high beams - we didn't drive that much at night and when we did there was too much traffic. We had to move to Wisconsin before we found that the high beams wouldn't stay on in that position.

I don't know about the OP, but for me the light switch is always at 12 o'clock I realized there probably are two switches in the stalk, since pulling a little activates the "volatile mode" and pulling past resistance "lock on". So if the second switch is acting up, it could explain the problem. For me it's working well enough atm, so I won't tear apart the stalk assembly just yet...
      2005 S40 T5 AWD automatic - Hilton stage 2+ with torque limit removal. Some mods: 3" DP & 2.5" catback, Do88 FMIC, Pumaspeed inlet plenum, ECU spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Ditto. I now leave the switch in the on (12 o’clock) position to avoid that problem.

Volvo’s solution to daytime running lights for those years made the headlight switch practically pointless, of course, but they weren’t the only ones.

How embarrassing. You guys were absolutely right!! When I got in my daughter's car to check, the light switch was in the 9 o'clock position.

Thanks. I'll take an extra helping of humble pie, please.

Brad

Nah. It’s all good. We learn from each other which is why this site and the good folks on it are so cool. You’ll help someone else out one day with something you contributed.

The danger in the 10/11 spot is that the headlights are off and tails/parking lights stay on but do NOT go off with the car and there are no indicators of sound to let you know. You can walk away and run the battery down so be careful and use either 9 or 12. And tell your daughter too. Lol
      Quote Originally Posted by bknorwood View Post
      How embarrassing. You guys were absolutely right!! When I got in my daughter's car to check, the light switch was in the 9 o'clock position.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by bknorwood View Post

Brad

Its OK. I almost asked the same question a couple weeks ago, until I noticed I also had turned them "off" (whatever that means to Volvo engineers)
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon in progress...
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements