Wife hit a deer, not sure if insurance will fix this or not.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wife hit a deer, not sure if insurance will fix this or not.

We got one of the first US bound vehicles, Sept '17, and she has 46,000 miles on it. Hate for it to be totaled, it's been a very nice vehicle for us. Here are the pics...

We'll do a happier time pic as well:

Any ideas?
      Last edited by BSLNoel; 12-04-2019 at 05:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, hope she's okay. That said, maybe you can part out some things off of it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

We had a trailer hitch installed at the port of entry, I'd love that for the next one (if it is totaled).

Hoping the gap issue with the driver's door is just because the fender being pushed around...and I hope that's not the frame that's cracked.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Well it sounds as if the car did its job, although we all love our cars.... It's just a car glad everyone is safe

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

She feels sketchy driving the rental car now since the Volvo was so solid. She hit it as squared as you can going 65 mph, and it weighed in excess of 200 lb. I think the lower airbag both helped a ton and made her lower back a little wonky. At 6 pm tonight it will have been a week. She's still on a heating pad at night, and went for an X-ray this morning (only because they wouldn't send her for an MRI). Hopefully it's only soreness.

Everything from the radiator fan shroud forward is cracked up.

Ouch man, that's quite the hit, no floofy little bambi that was...
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

I'd post a photo of her brother cleaning it, to really show the size, but I don't want to offend anyone.

I hope everyone in the car was and will be ok.

Side question: did the Sensus safety for large animals kick in and brake by itself?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 CC T6 Polestar (Pine Grey Metallic)

She thinks it almost had to. She said she was stopped immediately (and the car was held motionless by Volvo until they verified it was safe to move), the deer was in front of the vehicle in the median. She also said there was literally no time in between the flash of the deer being right there, the impact, and airbags deflating...so I'm not sure if her perception was simply off by the adrenaline or if that was all just a few seconds anyway. I asked her if she hit the brakes, and all she remembers is bracing for impact.

Sous vide those backstraps at 130' for two hours then sear on the grill. That's gonna be so tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by BSLNoel View Post
      I'd post a photo of her brother cleaning it, to really show the size, but I don't want to offend anyone.
      Growing up in a rural area, I'd say it would be a waste to not eat it.

https://www.facebook.com/ComedyCentr...6619300981788/

Edit: Guess, I should add, I'm glad the wife's okay, too.
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

To those who want to see the deer:

https://pbase.com/bslnoel/image/170113044/original.jpg

Are you kidding? If you get to make deer steak after hitting it w/ a SPA truck WE WANT TO SEE IT. And where in "Silicone Valley" are there deers? This is so amazing on so many fronts.

I'm glad that she's OK and it sounds like the large animal detection may have helped some and just in general the car's safety equipment fulfilled its purpose. That's good to know considering how common deer are around here.

As for what the insurance company will do - no real idea. That looks like some substantial damage, but totaling a car that new would seem to only be a good idea if there was something seriously structurally off and it would be exceptionally expensive to fix.

We got one of the first US bound vehicles, Sept '17, and she has 46,000 miles on it. Hate for it to be totaled, it's been a very nice vehicle for us. Here are the pics...

Any ideas?
      Simple answer, YES. If you have comprehensive insurance. It pays for accidents out of your control. Tree falls on your car, debris hits it while driving, animal runs into the path, etc.

Will it be totaled? Argue maintenance records, tires, any modifications, etc. The more you can boost value, the better your chances of not having it written off. Insurance companies will usually total cars around the 70% value threshold. Give or take.

I heard 60-70% of the ‘actual cash value’, which I would assume is $32.5 - 34k, so it would have to be at least $20k to fix. Seems like a crazy amount, but 100 man hours of labor at $100/hr is half that...that’s 2 guys on it for 7 days.

IDK, I want it fixed if there’s no crazy inside damage.
      Last edited by BSLNoel; 12-04-2019 at 08:12 PM.

She feels sketchy driving the rental car now since the Volvo was so solid. She hit it as squared as you can going 65 mph, and it weighed in excess of 200 lb. I think the lower airbag both helped a ton and made her lower back a little wonky. At 6 pm tonight it will have been a week. She's still on a heating pad at night, and went for an X-ray this morning (only because they wouldn't send her for an MRI). Hopefully it's only soreness.

Everything from the radiator fan shroud forward is cracked up.
      The deer couldn't wait for hunting season. It decided to offer itself up for your dinner plate... Glad wife is OK. Car did its job.

Seems most broken pieces are just plastic. The bumper behind the plastic cover looks not touched at all. Headlight is a little expensive. Maybe 20k could do it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Seems most broken pieces are just plastic. The bumper behind the plastic cover looks not touched at all. Headlight is a little expensive. Maybe 20k could do it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Airbags went off, so depends on if there's engine or structural damage.

I'm glad everyone is ok. Looking at the pictures, it doesn't seem like they would total it, but who knows what is behind. Best of luck.

Be heard 60-70% of the ‘actual cash value’, which I would assume is $32.5 - 34k, so it would have to be at least $20k to fix. Seems like a crazy amount, but 100 man hours of labor at $100/hr is half that...that’s 2 guys on it for 7 days.

All depends on the extent of damage. If there's structural damage or engine damage, it might make totaling out the most economically feasible option. Airbags went off, so now it's all up to the body shop to determine the extent of damage. Very hard to say from photos. But most insurance companies run around 65-70% range before declaring a vehicle a total loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      Growing up in a rural area, I'd say it would be a waste to not eat it.

https://www.facebook.com/ComedyCentr...6619300981788/

Edit: Guess, I should add, I'm glad the wife's okay, too.
      I wouldn't eat any car, even a Volvo.

(PS OP, I'm sorry about the car but hope your wife is OK)
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Radiator is toast, and everything holding it is as well. No engine damage, it runs fine.

Radiator is toast, and everything holding it is as well. No engine damage, it runs fine.

Assuming no hidden frame damage, and no engine damage, then it'll probably get fixed. Have you contacted your insurance adjuster?

Not the adjuster, but the insurance company and repair shop. The repair shop said they go with whatever the adjuster says, then start tearing down and updating that total with pics and time/parts estimations. They’re on the hook for repair warranty so they protect themselves by replacing everything that’s damaged. If it’s truly independent then I feel safe...if they’re in cahoots, IDK.

Not the adjuster, but the insurance company and repair shop. The repair shop said they go with whatever the adjuster says, then start tearing down and updating that total with pics and time/parts estimations. They’re on the hook for repair warranty so they protect themselves by replacing everything that’s damaged. If it’s truly independent then I feel safe...if they’re in cahoots, IDK.
      Not sure where you live, but in my state, you can select the repair shop. Insurance cannot dictate where you take the vehicle for repair. So taking this into account, you can approach this one of two ways.

1. Ideally,vehicle would be towed to a Volvo Certified Body / Collision Shop for repair. Of course, this might be the more expensive option. But it would 100% pay to investigate this first and get an estimate.

2. If the ball park repair is over the threshold at the Volvo Shop then there are a few considerations.

A. Volvo Shop might be motivated to fix and get the business. So depending on damage, Shop might reduce the repair bill to fall under the "total price" Talk to them if this is case.

B. Take to a trusted Independent shop who will be cheaper.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-04-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Rudolf? OMG Santa can't deliver presents this year!

Volvo towed it to a ‘certified Volvo repair shop’, though we had no input. From the second of the accident until the vehicle was there they handled everything...but they didn’t tell them the vehicle was showing up. My insurance got the location and dispatched an adjuster. The shop doesn’t touch the car until the insurance says go and we sign the release. The repair shop then starts the communication, through tear down of actual/estimated repair totals. At any time the vehicle can be ‘totaled’.

ETA: the happier time pic is rough, I don’t want to have to order another one of these.

Guessing this piece connects the two frame rails and holds the radiator housing.

Be interesting to see where it ties in. Basically the driver fender, hood, and everything in front of the engine. Hoping they don’t blend paint.
      Last edited by BSLNoel; 12-04-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Good to know she's okay. Also really good to know that Volvos are solid and their safety system kicks in and makes accidents better (sounds horrible but yeah). I also happen to live where there's deers everywhere and they randomly pop out.

Wow, glad everyone is ok. I hit a deer with my 2010 while moving 30-35 mph. Bugger dropped right out of the sky right in front of me. My air bags didn’t fire, but still caused $14K in damages.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

She’s lucky the deer came in so low. There’s hair in the rim, and you can see the antler intention on the hood...it’s a remarkably low impact. Could have been life changing, Volvo or not.

Last edited by BSLNoel; 12-05-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Wow, nice to know your wife is well! What an inpact, nice looking animal! Hope the aftermath will have some Christmas spirit.
      Nov. 2017: Volvo XC60 MY18 R-Design T8 AWD

Pack's: Sensus Navi / Light / IntelliSafe / Winter Pro / Versatility Pro
      Summer 265/35/R22 / Winter 235/55/R19

In Bursting Blue Metallic

Previous: 2011-2017 Volvo XC60 MY11 R-Design D5 AWD in Black Saphire Metalic

She’s lucky the deer came in so low. There’s hair in the rim, and you can see the antler intention on the hood...it’s a remarkably low impact. Could have been life changing, Volvo or not.
      I wonder if they've worked on that angle. I've read several places about a 'moose test' that seems to be aimed at avoidance/braking, but from what I remember moose are the worst to hit - their legs are so long that you basically clip them out from under and the massive body comes through the passenger compartment. I can't imagine what Volvo could do about that but there are lots of things that I haven't imagined that are there now so...

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      I wonder if they've worked on that angle. I've read several places about a 'moose test' that seems to be aimed at avoidance/braking, but from what I remember moose are the worst to hit - their legs are so long that you basically clip them out from under and the massive body comes through the passenger compartment. I can't imagine what Volvo could do about that but there are lots of things that I haven't imagined that are there now so...
      Yeah, moose are huge. Mule deer are one of the larger variants, but the antlers alone on a good-sized moose can be the same (shoulder) height of a smaller deer. There are not a lot of good ways to handle 1000lbs of mass, antlers or not, crushing into your vehicle from that height. I'm thankful all I have to worry about are whitetail, even if they seem to be everywhere around the roads near my house.

I heard 60-70% of the ‘actual cash value’, which I would assume is $32.5 - 34k, so it would have to be at least $20k to fix. Seems like a crazy amount, but 100 man hours of labor at $100/hr is half that...that’s 2 guys on it for 7 days.

Yeah, that looks like more than $20k to fix to me - airbags, headlights, all that bodywork, radiator, supports behind it, etc. etc. That's the most deer damage I've seen on a SPA car.

Time to start shopping. Thank god nobody was hurt.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast