Wife hit a deer, not sure if insurance will fix this or not. - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      NOT TOTALED. Yet I guess. Adjuster estimates $15,818. $12k in parts (front bumper and grill, driver's light [$2347.15], radiator and support, a/c condenser, hood, repair the fender, airbags and seat belt) and $3800 in labor.

I assume once they start taking parts off they'll find other stuff broken, but they'll have to be expensive bits to total it.

Can't wait to see my CarFax report after this. Good luck me ever selling this thing.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BSLNoel View Post
      NOT TOTALED. Yet I guess. Adjuster estimates $15,818. $12k in parts (front bumper and grill, driver's light [$2347.15], radiator and support, a/c condenser, hood, repair the fender, airbags and seat belt) and $3800 in labor.

I assume once they start taking parts off they'll find other stuff broken, but they'll have to be expensive bits to total it.

Can't wait to see my CarFax report after this. Good luck me ever selling this thing.
      Suggestions:

If for some reason other major repairs are found, and you wish to keep the vehicle from being totaled, here are some ways to boost value:

1. Show service history and demonstrate the vehicle was impeccably maintained.
      2. Any additions or modifications. Nice Speaker, New Rims, Tinted Windows. Roof Rack. Or whatever you can break out receipts that might help.
      3. Price out similar cars for sale in area with similar mileage. Even if KBB shows X amount, show that you can't pick up a nicely maintained vehicle for less than X

uhhh.. after the free deer steak, why wouldn't you want this thing out of your garage?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The deer I hit never showed up on XC60’s car fax. The place that did the repairs just reported it as the vehicle was serviced. That’s it. I got lucky. YMMV
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

I’m not sad they’re fixing it. We’d order the exact same vehicle if it was a goner.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      The deer I hit never showed up on XC60’s car fax. The place that did the repairs just reported it as the vehicle was serviced. That’s it. I got lucky. YMMV
      I've had a few bang ups on my vehicle. No Serious Accidents. But none show up on history. Car Insurance didn't report accident and Body Shops didn't report to Car Fax.

Generally, reports show up on car's history if police were called. Otherwise, it's up to the body shop to report the incident. And if you choose wisely, you'll find enough that do not report.

I’m not sad they’re fixing it. We’d order the exact same vehicle if it was a goner.
      My honest opinion, I'd wait to see the damage report. But if it's close to being totaled, I'd do my best to boost value, and take a pay out. If you plan to keep this car forever, then the accident won't matter. If police were called, it'll probably show up on car fax. If Police weren't called, then chances are 50/50. A lot of body shops don't report to CarFax / Autocheck.

If on other hand, you wish to ever trade / sell car, then payoff is in your best interest. As such a major accident will pretty much kill this vehicles resale.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post

Generally, reports show up on car's history if police were called. Otherwise, it's up to the body shop to report the incident. And if you choose wisely, you'll find enough that do not report.
      That may be the key. I never called the cops after the deer jumped in front of my car. There was no other property damages so I just drove it home and called my insurance company.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

We got one of the first US bound vehicles, Sept '17, and she has 46,000 miles on it. Hate for it to be totaled, it's been a very nice vehicle for us. Here are the pics...

We'll do a happier time pic as well:

Any ideas?
      I did the same thing last November, but with a brand spanking new 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium. In my case, the airbags did not pop, and the damage was otherwise similar to yours. My insurance carrier ultimately totaled the car since it involved the A pillar post and a bunch other stuff. Now I have a Volvo again.

As my wife said when she came to pick me up, “The important thing is no one got hurt. The car can be replaced.” When I got the Volvo, she said, “I did not expect you to take me literally.” . . . .
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

The adjuster’s estimate is based upon what they can see without anything removed. If they cannot see it, it is not included in the estimate. With similar damage to my car, the initial estimate was $13k using OEM parts only (and none of my airbags blew). With the tear down, they stopped counting at $21k and totaled it. With a deer, you would be surprised at what hidden damage can exist. The car did its job and No one was seriously hurt.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      That may be the key. I never called the cops after the deer jumped in front of my car. There was no other property damages so I just drove it home and called my insurance company.
      Yep. And that avoids having the vehicle's history blemished. Of course if there are injuries, calling the cops is unavoidable. Or if car won't drive, I'm not sure if ringing a tow truck would alert police.

Either way, if this shows up on vehicle's history, the car isn't worth fixing unless owner really loves the vehicle and plans to drive til it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      The adjuster’s estimate is based upon what they can see without anything removed. If they cannot see it, it is not included in the estimate. With similar damage to my car, the initial estimate was $13k using OEM parts only (and none of my airbags blew). With the tear down, they stopped counting at $21k and totaled it. With a deer, you would be surprised at what hidden damage can exist. The car did its job and No one was seriously hurt.
      On the bright side, the interior is immaculate. So if it does get totaled, it'd make one hell of a great parts car.

If the car is in fact totaled, make sure that you research cars that are representative of the condition of this car prior to the accident. Kelly and other estimators have a lot of wiggle room. Also consider that you would only purchase from a Volvo Dealer and expect the car to be in warranty as was yours. Them make sure you add tax, license, and any other fees (non covered rental cars) with a truly representative value. You can then reach out to dealers in reasonable driving distance and see what they have. If there cars are more expensive but generally equivalent then that will supersede the book value which represents a composite value. Good luck on this. If you do decide to fix things I would recommend that you take pictures of the car as it is dismantled to show what was and was not damaged. If the repair shop determines that everything is ok frame wise then get that in writing if you can. This will make a difference to a buyer. Having said this, fixing the car will lower its perceived value.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

On the bright side, the interior is immaculate. So if it does get totaled, it'd make one hell of a great parts car.
      You mean buy the car from insurance company and sell parts from it?
      Well, I know people park junked car in backyard but...
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      You mean buy the car from insurance company and sell parts from it?
      Well, I know people park junked car in backyard but...
      I meant if it goes to auction or a junk yard... But if OP wants to buy it for scrap, more power to him!

I meant if it goes to auction or a junk yard... But if OP wants to buy it for scrap, more power to him!
      I asked my carrier to donate my 2019 Fusion to the fire dept as a training aid. Insurance wanted $8k as the salvage value for the car. I let it go to auction.

Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      I asked my carrier to donate my 2019 Fusion to the fire dept as a training aid. Insurance wanted $8k as the salvage value for the car. I let it go to auction.
      As expected. Insurance companies are going to do everything in their power to mitigate losses. Meaning they're highly unlikely to donate a vehicle with a salvage value of $8,000.

I wouldn't worry much, as long as the body shop does the right thing. hopefully they do good work.

I slid in the ice with my 2018 and did approx the same damage and it wasn't totaled.

BUT... your airbag was deployed - that is probably a dealbreaker since I understand they need to replace the entire dashboard...

Glad she is okay, sorry for your loss...
      2018 XC 60 T8

Varies by state, but I would look into getting a 'diminished value' settlement from your insurance carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
      I slid in the ice with my 2018 and did approx the same damage and it wasn't totaled.

BUT... your airbag was deployed - that is probably a dealbreaker since I understand they need to replace the entire dashboard...

Glad she is okay, sorry for your loss...
      I believe in this particular situation only the driver airbag and knee bag deployed. Both of those can be replaced without removing the dash or replacing it. Had the passenger airbag deployed then that would be a big increase in cost.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

The problem these days, all new cars, the cost of even what used to be "minor" repairs like front grill work and the hood is extremely expensive, and the airbag, really expensive.

What a fantastic car, what a great safe piece of engineering here. Really, it is amazing how well it did. It looks quite good for the speed and the weight of the beast.

Glad your wife is fine.

Glad your wife is ok.

The biggest challenge if they do repair the car is matching the paint.

Silver cars are the most difficult to match, and nearly impossible if there’s metallic flakes.

The insurance company also owes you for diminished value after the repairs. The market value drops significantly and you must be "made whole" by having them cut you a check for the difference between the repaired vehicle value and fair market value. Don't let this slide by, it's an important detail.

Diminished value depends on the state. Since this was not your fault, you should be able to claim it. In Texas, you can only claim diminished value if it wasn’t your fault. A couple of years ago, I hit a pole. Shouldn’t have been driving, had chemo earlier in the day. It was raining and i was turning left. Saw a car coming straight and thought he was going to run red light. Insurance said about 10K Towed to a Volvo repair shop. Insurance bases cost using parts from wrecked cars with similar miles. Volvo would only repair with new Volvo parts. Ended up taking to another repair shop recommended by Insurance. They did a great job working for me. Since my car was 5 years old with only 28K they couldn’t find any wrecked cars within the mileage to use parts for my car. I got all new Volvo parts. All airbags went off too. Cost over 20K to fix and car was worth about 23 to 24K. Love this car 2013 XC60 T6 with the 6 engine. I am just not sure of the new 4 bangers and possible issues down the road.

I live in Pennsylvania. I hit a deer 2 months into my 2019 XC40. I swerved left, he / she jumped left, I clipped it on the passenger side front. No airbags deployed. There was $5,500 in damage. All paid by insurance company and no rate increase.

Funny side story - the guy behind me stopped. He was dressed in camo and said that he was archery hunting all afternoon and didn't see a thing. He went into the woods looking for it but couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by samplesdsg View Post
      I live in Pennsylvania. I hit a deer 2 months into my 2019 XC40. I swerved left, he / she jumped left, I clipped it on the passenger side front. No airbags deployed. There was $5,500 in damage. All paid by insurance company and no rate increase.

Funny side story - the guy behind me stopped. He was dressed in camo and said that he was archery hunting all afternoon and didn't see a thing. He went into the woods looking for it but couldn't find it.
      He should have camouflaged as Volvo, the deer would have shown up right there.. somehow our cars are deer magnet not a chick magnet..
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

A pretty, little deer jumped out in front of our car about a week and a half ago. My V60 is in for repairs. We were going 40-45 mph, airbags didn't go off, car looked almost perfect on the outside and was completely drivable, but it's in the shop right now and the estimate, so far, is $4200. I just hated that it happened to the deer. I despise the car, so I couldn't have cared less if it was totaled.
      Current - 2018 Certified Used V60. I hate this car. I despise this car. My idiot husband surprised me with it. What a lousy surprise.

A good shop will have no problem matching the paint

Quote Originally Posted by knitbunnie View Post
      A pretty, little deer jumped out in front of our car about a week and a half ago. My V60 is in for repairs. We were going 40-45 mph, airbags didn't go off, car looked almost perfect on the outside and was completely drivable, but it's in the shop right now and the estimate, so far, is $4200. I just hated that it happened to the deer. I despise the car, so I couldn't have cared less if it was totaled.
      Life's too short to drive a car you hate.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Twindy View Post
      Diminished value depends on the state. Since this was not your fault, you should be able to claim it. In Texas, you can only claim diminished value if it wasn’t your fault. A couple of years ago, I hit a pole. Shouldn’t have been driving, had chemo earlier in the day. It was raining and i was turning left. Saw a car coming straight and thought he was going to run red light. Insurance said about 10K Towed to a Volvo repair shop. Insurance bases cost using parts from wrecked cars with similar miles. Volvo would only repair with new Volvo parts. Ended up taking to another repair shop recommended by Insurance. They did a great job working for me. Since my car was 5 years old with only 28K they couldn’t find any wrecked cars within the mileage to use parts for my car. I got all new Volvo parts. All airbags went off too. Cost over 20K to fix and car was worth about 23 to 24K. Love this car 2013 XC60 T6 with the 6 engine. I am just not sure of the new 4 bangers and possible issues down the road.
      Insurance companies outside of Georgia (where it's required by law) will fight tooth and nail. About only time you will be successful on diminished value is with an attorney. Insurance carriers give a B.S. argument that a repaired car is same as new. We all know that's a farce. Course, you could always file claim through your own carrier and hoped they'd subrogate against the at fault. But chances are if your accident is severe enough you're fighting for diminished value, you probably have an attorney.

FYI: Chemo Sucks. Sorry you have to go through that. First 4 months I was on it didn't know if I wanted to puke or crawl into a gutter. I got the worst case of nausea and motion sickness while driving. Would have to pull over, close my eyes, and hope it passed. I found Zofran helped alleviate those symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by knitbunnie View Post
      Problematic car? Or what exactly are the issues?

Quote Originally Posted by samplesdsg View Post

I'm just gonna leave this here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN7Uy17Z6oE

Shop did a bit of tear down and filed a supplemental claim. Up to $21,000 repair estimate without any new parts mocked up.

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2