Getting around Sensus music's inability to sort by folders
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Getting around Sensus music's inability to sort by folders

From what I've read, Sensus does not read folders but does read albums. Can it be tricked by going into a song's properties and changing the song's album?

So for example, if I have a "mix folder" of various Swedish pop songs by different artists and from different albums that I like, can I change all of those songs' album titles to "Swedish Pop Songs", select the album "Swedish Pop Songs" in Sensus, and listen to this "album" (in effect, listening to my folder)?
      Current: Subaru Outback 2015, Limited

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ap17 View Post
      From what I've read, Sensus does not read folders but does read albums. Can it be tricked by going into a song's properties and changing the song's album?

So for example, if I have a "mix folder" of various Swedish pop songs by different artists and from different albums that I like, can I change all of those songs' album titles to "Swedish Pop Songs", select the album "Swedish Pop Songs" in Sensus, and listen to this "album" (in effect, listening to my folder)?
      Hi ap17
      Follow this link - "https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?582261-USB-Music-my-solution-works! or do a search for "USB-Music my solution works"

I have a very detailed info on what to do.. and yes a have a number of ALBUMS (or folders) where I have multiple artists and I just treated them as another ALBUM, the only problem is that you don't get the "album or song artwork" displayed. I just used an image that showed "My Mix" or similar.

Hope it helps
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

Quote Originally Posted by s5156 View Post
      Hi ap17
      Follow this link - "https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?582261-USB-Music-my-solution-works! or do a search for "USB-Music my solution works"

I have a very detailed info on what to do.. and yes a have a number of ALBUMS (or folders) where I have multiple artists and I just treated them as another ALBUM, the only problem is that you don't get the "album or song artwork" displayed. I just used an image that showed "My Mix" or similar.

Hope it helps
      Thank you! I have a question - where is the "m3u" index file? How does one find that or add it if need be?
      Last edited by ap17; 02-07-2020 at 06:18 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ap17 View Post
      Thank you! I have a question - where is the "m3u" index file? How does one find that or add it if need be?
      Hi ap17
      I use a small program called: sPlaylistMaker (I use Windows) as well so I'm not sure if there is an Apple equivalent.

When you "make a folder" of files mp3, flac (whatever format works for you), I use only FLAC files at 320 bitrate (best quality I can get) and include a small image for the album (this could be anything but I also do a search using dBpoweramp (this finds album artwork) I call this artwork file "folder.jpg" and include it in the folder as well. This artwork file of course will be different for every folder (album) but I use this file name in all my individual folders music or podcasts. final folder for each album will have this type of file structure e.g.
      • 01 song name.flac
      • 02 song name.flac
      • 03 song name.flac
      • folder.jpg
      • album name.m3u

Here's a screen shot link - let me know if it fails.
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1St4...ew?usp=sharing

All you then need to do is "drag ALL of these files" into the sPlaylistMaker window and the m3u file is created and placed into your album folder as well. Some times this program creates a file with another "extension - m3u8" if I remember rightly, I just rename this to "m3u", and it works fine. This m3u file will have the folder/album name as it's filename. The m3u file is just a TXT file with the track listing, but I believe this file is what Volvo Sensus reads and displays as your track list. Note I also number my tracks so as to keep the tracks in order as per the album, I use 01, 02, 03 .... 09, 10, 11, 12 etc otherwise things get messy as numbers could be mixed up as 01, 10, 02, 20, 21, 22, 03, 30 etc. If I had more than a hundred I star with 001, 002 but I haven't got there yet, so I'm not sure if that would work, will have to see one day.

I hope that is clear, if not PM me and well take it from there if I can. I know my process is somewhat painful and time consuming but once done, all you have to do then when you want to add an album onto your storage device, usb stick, SSD is just add the new folder to your storage.

I use 2 x 500gb Samsung SSDs and they work perfectly in fact my music SSD is now about 95% full and I'm thinking I may need a 1T SSD... if so I hope it will work, if not I'll just use it as it is. The other SSD has Podcasts on it and they are just mp3 files stored in folders under their provider name like "TED Talks" etc. with the TED logo for artwork. Still treated the same as music files with an "artwork file" and a "m3u" file e.g. Folder Name = Ted Talks, then each file name, and a artwork file called "folder.jpg" - there might be 20 or 30 Ted Talks in the folder but only 1 x artwork file, just like in the music folders. You don't need a folder for each podcast or any additional artwork. It just shows the Logo file as album artwork and a list of the podcast just as it does for each music album.

Good luck and let me know how you get on. David
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

i'd like to shuffle through those flac files.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by s5156 View Post
      Hi ap17
      I use a small program called: sPlaylistMaker (I use Windows) as well so I'm not sure if there is an Apple equivalent.

When you "make a folder" of files mp3, flac (whatever format works for you), I use only FLAC files at 320 bitrate (best quality I can get) and include a small image for the album (this could be anything but I also do a search using dBpoweramp (this finds album artwork) I call this artwork file "folder.jpg" and include it in the folder as well. This artwork file of course will be different for every folder (album) but I use this file name in all my individual folders music or podcasts. final folder for each album will have this type of file structure e.g.
      • 01 song name.flac
      • 02 song name.flac
      • 03 song name.flac
      • folder.jpg
      • album name.m3u

Here's a screen shot link - let me know if it fails.
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1St4...ew?usp=sharing

All you then need to do is "drag ALL of these files" into the sPlaylistMaker window and the m3u file is created and placed into your album folder as well. Some times this program creates a file with another "extension - m3u8" if I remember rightly, I just rename this to "m3u", and it works fine. This m3u file will have the folder/album name as it's filename. The m3u file is just a TXT file with the track listing, but I believe this file is what Volvo Sensus reads and displays as your track list. Note I also number my tracks so as to keep the tracks in order as per the album, I use 01, 02, 03 .... 09, 10, 11, 12 etc otherwise things get messy as numbers could be mixed up as 01, 10, 02, 20, 21, 22, 03, 30 etc. If I had more than a hundred I star with 001, 002 but I haven't got there yet, so I'm not sure if that would work, will have to see one day.

I hope that is clear, if not PM me and well take it from there if I can. I know my process is somewhat painful and time consuming but once done, all you have to do then when you want to add an album onto your storage device, usb stick, SSD is just add the new folder to your storage.

I use 2 x 500gb Samsung SSDs and they work perfectly in fact my music SSD is now about 95% full and I'm thinking I may need a 1T SSD... if so I hope it will work, if not I'll just use it as it is. The other SSD has Podcasts on it and they are just mp3 files stored in folders under their provider name like "TED Talks" etc. with the TED logo for artwork. Still treated the same as music files with an "artwork file" and a "m3u" file e.g. Folder Name = Ted Talks, then each file name, and a artwork file called "folder.jpg" - there might be 20 or 30 Ted Talks in the folder but only 1 x artwork file, just like in the music folders. You don't need a folder for each podcast or any additional artwork. It just shows the Logo file as album artwork and a list of the podcast just as it does for each music album.

Good luck and let me know how you get on. David
      Thank you! Your method has better results..I am lazier and just want to keep the songs I want together, so I changed the album title so that all the songs are on the same album. The album cover for them is wrong but I can listen to the songs all at once. I went to the dealership and it worked. If the incorrect/mismatched art bothers me I will do what you did. Mostly each of my folders has an album and then I add b-sides or live versions from other albums, or I added a bunch of songs I like to a band's "Greatest Hits" album that weren't on that actual album, so it's not a radical mismatch if those songs are placed into the wrong album.

I forgot to check, but does Sensus sort albums by band or alphabetically by name?

I have a large collection of mp3s I downloaded over many years. I am replacing them with HD FLAC files (24-bit/48 kHz or better) when they become available, but I'm not replacing them with regular FLAC files (16-bit/44.1kHz) (unless there is a recent remaster).

Thank you for the effort and time, even if I do not take advantage I'm sure others will!

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements