Wired to Wireless CarPlay Adapter CarPlay2Air
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs up Wired to Wireless CarPlay Adapter CarPlay2Air

Hi All,

There is an adapter to convert wired CarPlay to wireless, but there's a lot of talk as to whether it's legit or not because it has practically 100% 5* reviews on the website which looks a little suspicious. I ordered it and it just arrived, so I paired it up and it actually seems to work pretty good. Takes about 26-27 seconds to connect (I'm not sure how quickly the official wireless CarPlay connects), but I can definitely live with that time to get wireless CarPlay and be able to use my wireless Qi charger at the same time. I put together a small video in case anyone is interested seeing it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7znG4pWjU0w

There is also a Swedish company that makes something that's pretty much identical. I ordered that too so I could compare the connect and response times, but I won't be able to test it until after Christmas (since they didn't change my shipping address in time), so I'll report back then.

I haven't used it in anger yet, so I'll report back here any issues I encounter during daily use from here on out.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Raeldor, Looks great, lot of recent model cars have 'wireless Apple car play' as standard feature, I believe Volvo might come up with this soon. And by the way, your steering wheel is on the wrong side
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

I also have it, works well with a small caveat on the button function, a supposed software update will fix that

https://youtu.be/a7O3feYEal4

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      Raeldor, Looks great, lot of recent model cars have 'wireless Apple car play' as standard feature, I believe Volvo might come up with this soon. And by the way, your steering wheel is on the wrong side
      It's possible but not confirmed wireless CarPlay is coming, but to be honest their new generation Sensus is 100% Android, which means it will actually be far more useful than CarPlay. I mostly use CarPlay for Google Maps and apps, and I can do this on the next generation Sensus without even using CarPlay which is even better. But either way, it's not really a fix for my current car.

I thought something was a bit off with the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by D3ggy View Post
      I also have it, works well with a small caveat on the button function, a supposed software update will fix that

https://youtu.be/a7O3feYEal4
      Yeah, I noticed also that there's no media information displayed in the dash either. I emailed them about it, so we'll see what they say. I'm wondering though if the real Wireless CarPlay also suffers from the same issue. I don't know anyone with Wireless CarPlay to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by raeldor View Post
      Yeah, I noticed also that there's no media information displayed in the dash either. I emailed them about it, so we'll see what they say. I'm wondering though if the real Wireless CarPlay also suffers from the same issue. I don't know anyone with Wireless CarPlay to confirm.
      I’m not too fussed about it not being there the screen buttons are huge and Siri can also answer and end calls so it’s no big deal.

Actually, looks like it's supported on official Wireless CarPlay. Hopefully they can add to a future firmware update. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78vlFUEExb4

Why Volvo did not enable CarPlay - Android Auto like the others full screen, but only on half of the screen
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      I think it's on the right side
      Nice video OP. Might as well try it too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Why Volvo did not enable CarPlay - Android Auto like the others full screen, but only on half of the screen
      I haven't seen CarPlay / Android Auto on Tablet like monitors such as the one Volvo's have. I believe the reason behind the fact it cannot span to full screen is the fact that the resolution doesn't support it. So when Apple / Android decide to support that, we may have full screen CarPlay. Not sure if Volvo can do anything about it other than dedicating a section for it.

For those who have jailbroken iPhones try carbridge.

OP and the lot, can you please share me the link to purchase ?

I'm suspecting CarPlay doesn't play too well on a portrait screen, which is why they made it so small. When you look at it on the BMW screen, which is widescreen, it's huge. I would like to see some of the unused tabs disappear when you're in CarPlay mode though (Phone tab, Music tab) to give a little more vertical space.

Oh, here's a link to the website, though I really want to compare this to the Swedish version, but that won't happen until I can pick it up from England at Christmas.

https://carplay2air.com/

And here's the Swedish one for those interested...

https://www.eftermontering.se/musik-...-mercedes.html

I'm suspecting CarPlay doesn't play too well on a portrait screen, which is why they made it so small. When you look at it on the BMW screen, which is widescreen, it's huge. I would like to see some of the unused tabs disappear when you're in CarPlay mode though (Phone tab, Music tab) to give a little more vertical space.

Oh, here's a link to the website, though I really want to compare this to the Swedish version, but that won't happen until I can pick it up from England at Christmas.

https://carplay2air.com/

And here's the Swedish one for those interested...

https://www.eftermontering.se/musik-...-mercedes.html
      a tad expensive for its use, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      I haven't seen CarPlay / Android Auto on Tablet like monitors such as the one Volvo's have. I believe the reason behind the fact it cannot span to full screen is the fact that the resolution doesn't support it. So when Apple / Android decide to support that, we may have full screen CarPlay. Not sure if Volvo can do anything about it other than dedicating a section for it.

For those who have jailbroken iPhones try carbridge.
      So the difference is only 0.2 inches

8.8 or 10.1-inch diagonal in Audi A6, A7 ( 8.8-inches on the base model) or ( 8.3 inch in Q5 ) 10.1 inch with a resolution of 1,540 x 720 pixels

9.0 inch in Volvo

So writing that it doesn't support the resolution is nonsense

Last edited by BigBang; 12-05-2019 at 07:20 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

So the difference is only 0.2 inches

8.8 or 10.1-inch diagonal in Audi A6, A7 ( 8.8-inches on the base model) or ( 8.3 inch in Q5 ) 10.1 inch with a resolution of 1,540 x 720 pixels

9.0 inch in Volvo

So writing that it doesn't support the resolution is nonsense

You do understand the difference between portrait and landscape right?

Depends on how much you use the car. Especially good for short journeys where you wouldn’t necessarily mess around plugging in the phone.

Apple supports fullscreen Carplay in portrait mode, as of iOS 13.

Apple detailed the new features that the new APIs would enable, here: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/252/

It's up for Volvo to support it or not, there's also another thread which discusses this: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...hlight=carplay

You do understand the difference between portrait and landscape right?
      Whether it is portrait or landscape ?????

Volvo supports 720x576 resolution

Interesting, then what is this

to this:

Do you understand now Tesla 17-inch , with resolution 1920 x 1200
      Last edited by BigBang; 12-05-2019 at 08:11 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Whether it is portrait or landscape ?????

Volvo supports 720x576 resolution

Interesting, then what is this

to this:

Do you understand now Tesla 17-inch , with resolution 1920 x 1200
      The second pic (Tesla), is screen mirroring. Not CarPlay.
      As for the first pic I don't know what that is.. it looks to me like an custom android chinese monitor. Nevertheless you can clearly see that CarPlay is still in landscape mode

CarPlay does not support Portrait mode. At least not yet. When it does, we could probably see an updated firmware on the sensus to support it, just like the sensus Spotify app works on library/browse.

Quote Originally Posted by globocs View Post
      Apple supports fullscreen Carplay in portrait mode, as of iOS 13.

Apple detailed the new features that the new APIs would enable, here: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/252/

It's up for Volvo to support it or not, there's also another thread which discusses this: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...hlight=carplay
      I'd love to see this too, would look awesome playing full screen youtube videos or netflix, but I haven't seen portrait CarPlay yet.
      They are yet to implement it in any car. Sure it was announced (dynamic screens), but don't know if they actually went ahead and done it.

I think this is a Renault.

I'd love to see this too, would look awesome playing full screen youtube videos or netflix, but I haven't seen portrait CarPlay yet.
      They are yet to implement it in any car. Sure it was announced (dynamic screens), but don't know if they actually went ahead and done it.
      In Europe, portrait CarPlay is implemented and running on the roads on the latest Renault cars . They have updated their firmware to v8 ~1 month ago on supported head units.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coSsu4gbI0w
      Last edited by globocs; 12-05-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by globocs View Post
      In Europe, portrait CarPlay is implemented and running on the roads on the latest Renault cars . They have updated their firmware to v8 ~1 month ago on supported head units.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coSsu4gbI0w
      Wishful thinking then globocs! Hopefully the next Sensus software update will give us this too. I've read somewhere that they're planning an update of Sensus in December.

I know its wishful thinking. What I'm trying to pinpoint is that it's on Volvo to support it, as opposed to it being a limitation of Apple as I've seen in numerous places.

I tried to contact Volvo on Twitter several times, and also sent them feedback via their website, but did not hear anything back.

Best case scenario is that they do an update in December and release support for all these things, but that's a very long shot. I suppose they will not release many more features to the existing units, and probably will focus the engineering spend on the new Android Sensus.

That and the time it takes to connect plus the need to acknowledge the screen for CarPlay makes it not very attractive. My wife's BMW connects wirelessly much faster...I'll have to time it and see.
      Joe
      '19 XC60 T5 P* AWD R-Design

The second pic (Tesla), is screen mirroring. Not CarPlay.
      As for the first pic I don't know what that is.. it looks to me like an custom android chinese monitor. Nevertheless you can clearly see that CarPlay is still in landscape mode

CarPlay does not support Portrait mode. At least not yet. When it does, we could probably see an updated firmware on the sensus to support it, just like the sensus Spotify app works on library/browse.
      Search on forum , exist module that integrates into the Sensus system and you have full Android in the XC60 / XC90
      Here:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...e-Nougat-7-1-2
      http://www.kaptrader.com/products/it...2018&it_4=XC60

Last edited by BigBang; 12-05-2019 at 10:25 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

The Volvo is also a tad expensive, don't you think? Seriously though, for me it's worth it, because every time I use wired CarPlay I keep forgetting my phone in the center console and having to go back to the car. That and the convenience of just placing my phone in the wireless charger rather than messing around with the center console, PLUS still being able to access the phone for other apps makes it worth the money.

Search on forum , exist module that integrates into the Sensus system and you have full Android in the XC60 / XC90
      Here:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...e-Nougat-7-1-2
      http://www.kaptrader.com/products/it...2018&it_4=XC60
      What I've been trying to tell you all day today is that what you're posting is NOT CarPlay/Android Auto.
      I'm sure there are lots of ways to "hack" or customize any monitor of any car. Whether an Audi/Merc/Volvo or a 1982 Pontiac Trans Am and call it KITT.
      After all android is kind of an open source OS whereas iPhone OS is more restrictive.

Hopefully we get the update that enables CarPlay and AndroidAuto to span on full screen soon.

The Volvo is also a tad expensive, don't you think? Seriously though, for me it's worth it, because every time I use wired CarPlay I keep forgetting my phone in the center console and having to go back to the car. That and the convenience of just placing my phone in the wireless charger rather than messing around with the center console, PLUS still being able to access the phone for other apps makes it worth the money.
      I'm not dissing on your purchase raeldor, don't get me wrong. I see the benefits of having wireless carplay, I do. I'm just a bit reluctant in spending 150 euro for that kind of luxury.
      Last edited by stocis; 12-05-2019 at 03:34 PM.

I'm not dissing on your purchase raeldor, don't get me wrong. I see the benefits of having wireless carplay, I do. I'm just a bit reluctant in spending 150 euro for that kind of luxury.
      I hear you; it's definitely a luxury and not a necessity. I guess it's down to the individual whether the convenience is worth the money.

On another note I received a very promising email from the developers...

Thank you for purchasing our CPLAY2air adapter! As you may already know, we are working tirelessly on our new update which will be a huge improvement from the last one. It took us a little longer than we expected, but we want to make sure that you will receive it when it is fully tested. To keep you excited here is what to expect from the new update:

• Improved connection speed
      • Improved music sound quality
      • Fixes an issue that could cause the adapter to disconnect
      • Fixes an issue that could cause track info and album artworks not appear on the screen
      • Better compatibility, it now also works with more systems, makes an models
      • All-new visual interface
      • Software translation in 12 languages
      They are saying they have finished development and are doing their best to package it up and release it in the next week.

If Volvo would come out with full-screen portrait support too that would be wonderful, but I think we're going to have to wait a LONG time for that to happen. I sent an email directly to their support to petition for this feature. Maybe if they received a lot of emails they would think seriously about it ([email protected]).
      Last edited by raeldor; 12-05-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Hopefully we get the update that enables CarPlay and AndroidAuto to span on full screen soon.
      You will wait a long time for this
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I hear you; it's definitely a luxury and not a necessity. I guess it's down to the individual whether the convenience is worth the money.

On another note I received a very promising email from the developers...

They are saying they have finished development and are doing their best to package it up and release it in the next week.

If Volvo would come out with full-screen portrait support too that would be wonderful, but I think we're going to have to wait a LONG time for that to happen. I sent an email directly to their support to petition for this feature. Maybe if they received a lot of emails they would think seriously about it ([email protected]).
      I also emailed them and tried contactin on Twitter.
      You could retweet these:

https://twitter.com/catadincoo/statu...73023618764800

https://twitter.com/catadincoo/statu...72061496762369

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

another solution/workaround would be mirror display just as bigbang posted.
      Last edited by stocis; 12-06-2019 at 05:08 AM.

How about sound quality? Does it sound the same playing music from your phone using this setup vs the regular wired carplay setup?
      Our garage...

2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT - Machine Gray Metallic/Cherry Top/Black (FUN LITTLE TOY!!!)
      2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature - Machine Gray Metallic/Auburn Nappa (replacing with a OSD 2020 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered)
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design w. Polestar tune - Black Sapphire Metallic/Offblack (Sold 2014)
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 Premium/Sport Package - Electric Silver/Offblack (Sold 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucca View Post
      How about sound quality? Does it sound the same playing music from your phone using this setup vs the regular wired carplay setup?
      Good Question.

Did some google and found out that there's a new roik version. http://www.kaptrader.co.kr/products/...t_3=&it_4=XC60
      Should be pricey though.

I’m really happy with the sound quality haven’t noticed any difference at all

If you're referring to the wireless CarPlay adapter then it sounds comparable to Bluetooth in my opinion. Sometimes I feel wired CarPlay is slightly better than Bluetooth, but it's so marginal that it's hard to tell.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast