Locate a lost key fob?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Lightbulb Locate a lost key fob?

We can't find one of our keys. I won't say whose.

Is there any tricks, or hacks, or apps that can find a lost key?

Doesn't seem inconceivable, since the car knows when the key is near.

Anyway, we've looked everywhere. Well everywhere except where the key is.

Thank you in advance,

Eric
      2015.5 S60 T5, color: Seashell. Our first Volvo. So far a good experience. 0% financing is what got us in the door. Features sealed the deal.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nope, not unless you had a tracking device on the key ring.

i'm not gonna make a long post on the obvious, i'm sure you have retraced your steps and turned the house upside down......so.....this sounds stupid, i know, but, try checking your trash can...if it's not too late.....Keys left in pants pocket and pants put in the washer...yes, my fob survived that ( toyota)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Looking at a Spectrum Analyzer I can confirm that the key fob does not emit any signals unless a button is pressed. It must be the car that emits a signal that the fob receives and then responds to with a code to unlock the car. So to find a lost key fob you would need a device that mimic's what the car is transmitting and then to look for a response but must be within range which is probably just a few feet. Even if such a device can be made it would still be a pretty tedious search pattern to find the key.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

My co-worker just found a lost key fob in a jacket he had not worn in several months, and just before he had to turn the leased vehicle in - saved himself 500 bucks!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I lost one while jogging in the park near my office. I waited 5 weeks to see if it would be found and turned into the park office. I finally gave up the ghost and bought a new one ($250), only to revive a call on my way home from the dealer that the park had found my lost fob. Anyway, I now have three of them.

Found the garage door opener in the gym bag (even before declaring it missing and starting a search).

Not to start shooting out places to look; my point is it could be where you'd never suspect.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Still missing. All good tips and advice! Thank you all.

We have turned the house, and every bit of clothing with pockets, upside down and inside out.

I was bagging leaves that day, and have removed bags from curb, just in case one last place, see next, does not pan out.

I have one last place to check, but it's 60 miles away. My wife swears she did a scan of the place before we left, and we had everything, but you never know.

Why is it always the last place you look?

Thanks again and Happy Holidays,

Eric

PS. A tracker is in my future!
      2015.5 S60 T5, color: Seashell. Our first Volvo. So far a good experience. 0% financing is what got us in the door. Features sealed the deal.

Well I placed 12 large bags of leaves, one at a time, in the passenger seat. No luck.

Got some very curious looks from the neighbors. :-)

When I read your post about the leaf bags, I imagined dumping out all the bags to carefully sift through the leaves. Putting each bag in the passenger seat was a much smarter idea. I hope you find the fob.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD Sport Suspension, ipd rear sway bar, 19 inch Bor wheels, Premium Plus, Silver
      Previous: 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon, 1989 MX-6 GT 4WS, 1979 GS-1000E

Quote Originally Posted by JMarkias View Post
      When I read your post about the leaf bags, I imagined dumping out all the bags to carefully sift through the leaves. Putting each bag in the passenger seat was a much smarter idea. I hope you find the fob.
      I thought that, too. This way was brilliant!

Joe
      2013 XC60 R-Design Platinum - Ice White
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Willow Green - Wife's, all stock

Look carefully inside the car, under seats, etc. As far as I remember, "keyless" key deactivates itself when left inside the car but not used (e.g. car was closed with another key).

Just a quick update. Found it. On the shelf in the garage where I keep the leaf bags. Wife swears she looked there. So, at least I would have found it, eventually.

But what's really funny, is that if I wasn't messing with my 1991 Mazda B2600i (260,000 miles), I would not have found the key today! That job had me looking for my "good" gloves, which lead to the shelf.

So thank you all again!

Good news... I strongly suggest you now rush to www.thetileapp.com and buy the best invention ever: they have one's to fit on your key chain, in your wallet... then you can use you phone to find your tile or use your tile to find your phone. When you add up all of stressful minutes searching for keys/phone/wallet they save me hours every year
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

great idea on the tile app, nice xmas gift idea

for my family it's always the remote controls or phones that end up inside the couch cushions, made worse by the ones that recline and have those black metallic edges that camouflage the colors of those devices. And when I'm on the floor under the couch's raised footrest I see socks, coins, goldfish, M&Ms, raisins, cheerios, etc
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      great idea on the tile app, nice xmas gift idea

for my family it's always the remote controls or phones that end up inside the couch cushions, made worse by the ones that recline and have those black metallic edges that camouflage the colors of those devices. And when I'm on the floor under the couch's raised footrest I see socks, coins, goldfish, M&Ms, raisins, cheerios, etc
      you've been to my house?

Quote Originally Posted by jlh3rd View Post
      you've been to my house?
      lol, anybody with kids would understand. Think Jack from The Shining.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

found my wife's 2nd key by ....

Looking in the glove box, and searching on FB for the previous owners. They oddly enough had just found the 2nd key in a drawer and were gracious enough to meet and exchange. They also gave me a little run down on history of the car and their experiences. I stopped by Wawa on the way and got them a $25 gift card. They were shocked. I thought it was the least we could do.

Bob
      2015.5 S60 T5 2.0 Drive-e - FWD Pre Owned 2nd owner

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
      Looking in the glove box, and searching on FB for the previous owners. They oddly enough had just found the 2nd key in a drawer and were gracious enough to meet and exchange. They also gave me a little run down on history of the car and their experiences. I stopped by Wawa on the way and got them a $25 gift card. They were shocked. I thought it was the least we could do.

Bob
      Very cool move. I hope it brings you good karma!

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements