Question On XC60 Air Suspension System
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question On XC60 Air Suspension System

Thank everyone's input in advance, I am trying to pull the trigger between a 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription (fully loaded) and a 2020 Lexus RX450h F Sports Performance, I was initially leaning to the Volvo's side, I love the B&W audio.

However, when I was doing research, I found the post about the XC60 air suspension warning issue (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ension-Warning)

Then after more reserach, it seems that XC90 had this issue and for some of the unforunate owners, things did not get fixed, even after changing the fuse and compressor (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Failure/page5)

I live in Chicago area, and really would like the car to be reliable, for the owner of 2019 XC60 with suspensions, could you please share your experience?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I changed the conpressor at the beginning, after A Volvo's campaing, and no trouble since then.
      Happy with the system, works nice. Flat car at any circumstance, height control,...

Mines been flawless so far in 8900 miles but if your biggest concern is reliability, go for the Toyota. If comfort and kick ass sound system is the priority, XC60 for the win every time.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

All most all the cars which are equipped with 'Air' Suspension System will be less reliable when compared to the same models/cars without it. My friend's Range Rover failed after 4 years and he replaced the rubber bags. I have 'Air-Suspension' and I love it , the handling and ride are great!. If the Air-Suspension is your concern, you can buy Inscription loaded without Air Suspension.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Mines been flawless so far in 8900 miles but if your biggest concern is reliability, go for the Toyota. If comfort and kick ass sound system is the priority, XC60 for the win every time.
      Lexus is owned by Toyota and they carry several common parts. I believe OP is basically comparing Air-Suspension (Volvo) with standard suspension (coil) (Lexus), even if they are made by Toyota/Lexus, the Air-Suspension reliability will not be the same as coil.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by jhsd1124013561 View Post
      Thank everyone's input in advance, I am trying to pull the trigger between a 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription (fully loaded) and a 2020 Lexus RX450h F Sports Performance, I was initially leaning to the Volvo's side, I love the B&W audio. I live in Chicago area, and really would like the car to be reliable, for the owner of 2019 XC60 with suspensions, could you please share your experience?

Thank you!
      I had the Air Suspension on the 2016 XC90 and 2018 XC60, both R-Designs... I drove them a little over two (2) years each, with multiple trips from Virginia to Florida and back without experiencing any problems at all... the ride and handling was excellent and comfortable in both... I recommend them!

PS. By the way, I have also enjoyed the B&W in them too!
      2020 Crystal White XC60 T8 P* with 21" All Season Tires, Rear Bumper Cover and Mudflaps

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      Lexus is owned by Toyota and they carry several common parts. I believe OP is basically comparing Air-Suspension (Volvo) with standard suspension (coil) (Lexus), even if they are made by Toyota/Lexus, the Air-Suspension reliability will not be the same as coil.
      Deep down, the RX is on the same platform as the Camry/Highlander. Yes, I looked that up on Wikipedia
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |

I love my XC60 but I'm not necessarily convinced it is the best car in the class - just the best car for me. Conversely, the Lexus is a vehicle I would not go near. Lousy visibility, no cargo room, numb handling.

It's a class size bigger than the Xc60 but because of the goofy styling has lot less useable room.

The Lexus (particularly the hybrid) will certainly will on reliability though.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Thanks so much for your input, just out of curiosity, when the temperature is consistently below 0įC, the system did not have any issue?

Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
      I changed the conpressor at the beginning, after A Volvo's campaing, and no trouble since then.
      Happy with the system, works nice. Flat car at any circumstance, height control,...
      Thanks so much for your input, just out of curiosity, when the temperature is consistently below 0įC, the system did not have any issue?

All most all the cars which are equipped with 'Air' Suspension System will be less reliable when compared to the same models/cars without it. My friend's Range Rover failed after 4 years and he replaced the rubber bags. I have 'Air-Suspension' and I love it , the handling and ride are great!. If the Air-Suspension is your concern, you can buy Inscription loaded without Air Suspension.
      Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      I love my XC60 but I'm not necessarily convinced it is the best car in the class - just the best car for me. Conversely, the Lexus is a vehicle I would not go near. Lousy visibility, no cargo room, numb handling.

It's a class size bigger than the Xc60 but because of the goofy styling has lot less useable room.

Thanks for the input guys, I am cautious here because I saw that for some XC90, even with the fix (changing the compressor), the system can still fail.

My dealer is about 1 hour away from my place and I really don't want to stuck in the position of coming back and forth without a proper fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sergjut14 View Post
      I had the Air Suspension on the 2016 XC90 and 2018 XC60, both R-Designs... I drove them a little over two (2) years each, with multiple trips from Virginia to Florida and back without experiencing any problems at all... the ride and handling was excellent and comfortable in both... I recommend them!

PS. By the way, I have also enjoyed the B&W in them too!
      Thanks so much for the reply, ah, this is exactly what I need to know

Virginia has cold winter too, so glad to know that the system still work.

Just out of curiosity, what is the milage on your SUVs? Also, how is the air suspension hanging in the cold winter of Virgnia?

I am in Maryland, bought my 2019 T8 Inscription in March. The Sales manager where I bought my T8 from admitted the air suspension was an issue and if it were him, he would go without it....maybe he was just saying that to sell me mine...who knows! I had a loaner for a week that had the B&W radio and the air suspension.....I figured I would miss both.....nope, not at all. But thats me,lol
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Iím in NJ and this will be my first winter with my new XC60. Iím a skier so I expect to take this car out into unfavorable weather in the mountains of PA/NY/VT often.

Thank everyone's input in advance, I am trying to pull the trigger between a 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription (fully loaded) and a 2020 Lexus RX450h F Sports Performance, I was initially leaning to the Volvo's side, I love the B&W audio.

However, when I was doing research, I found the post about the XC60 air suspension warning issue (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ension-Warning)

Then after more reserach, it seems that XC90 had this issue and for some of the unforunate owners, things did not get fixed, even after changing the fuse and compressor (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Failure/page5)

I live in Chicago area, and really would like the car to be reliable, for the owner of 2019 XC60 with suspensions, could you please share your experience?

Thank you!
      Hi jhsd1124013561
      I'm the original poster for the 1st link in your opening message.

I have to say that as pointed out in my message .."the only cars impacted were 12 that had a bad compressor" they were all shipped to Aust in the first batch to arrive. Mine has run faultlessly since it was repaired under warranty. I have now done 25K with NO problem.

I wouldn't hesitate to have it again. YES it may fail again but who knows, it may be expensive to fix (out of warranty) as well, but again, what cars aren't now days? I'm also looking at the VOLVO (manufacturers) extended warranty (here in Aust) that offers 2 additional years above the 3 year factory warranty.. it may also be dear and never be used but that's sort of how life is these days.
      My only advice is drive one with it and one without and make up your own mind, that's what I did knowing that it's just another potential to break/fail..if you're going to spend your hard earned on a car why not just do it and enjoy whatever features it has.

Good luck with your choice, I looked at all the competition (I mean all) and really couldn't go past the Volvo for value, safety and being that little bit different, as for the Lexus, some say they are the ugliest cars on the road (and I agree) but they may in the longer term have that proven Toyota reliability that a lot of other brands just can't match. Some models are now just too old (the underpinnings) and could be considered "dressed up" versions of lesser cars.

Good luck with whatever you choose and don't fret with your choice afterwards.
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

Just out of curiosity, what is the milage on your SUVs? Also, how is the air suspension hanging in the cold winter of Virgnia?
      Never had problems throughout Virginia and Maryland, as well as traveling north/south in the neighboring areas! And had to share a single car garage, so I mostly parked outside in the winter, of course! The mileage was between 18 up to about 22/23, depending on type...
      2020 Crystal White XC60 T8 P* with 21" All Season Tires, Rear Bumper Cover and Mudflaps

My SUV is relatively new (2 months and 2500 Miles) and located in northeast, hence you should not be considering my experience so far, for longevity or long term issues.

We have about 17kmiles on our XC60 with air suspension, and it has been trouble free so far. Don't regret ordering it at all - it makes the ride ridiculously smooth.
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
      I am in Maryland, bought my 2019 T8 Inscription in March. The Sales manager where I bought my T8 from admitted the air suspension was an issue and if it were him, he would go without it....maybe he was just saying that to sell me mine...who knows! I had a loaner for a week that had the B&W radio and the air suspension.....I figured I would miss both.....nope, not at all. But thats me,lol
      Thanks so much for your insight, yeah, I may need to do another test drive and try to settle between different models :P

Iím in NJ and this will be my first winter with my new XC60. Iím a skier so I expect to take this car out into unfavorable weather in the mountains of PA/NY/VT often.
      Thanks so much for sharing, looking forward to hearing from your experience!

Quote Originally Posted by s5156 View Post
      Hi jhsd1124013561
      I'm the original poster for the 1st link in your opening message.

I have to say that as pointed out in my message .."the only cars impacted were 12 that had a bad compressor" they were all shipped to Aust in the first batch to arrive. Mine has run faultlessly since it was repaired under warranty. I have now done 25K with NO problem.

I wouldn't hesitate to have it again. YES it may fail again but who knows, it may be expensive to fix (out of warranty) as well, but again, what cars aren't now days? I'm also looking at the VOLVO (manufacturers) extended warranty (here in Aust) that offers 2 additional years above the 3 year factory warranty.. it may also be dear and never be used but that's sort of how life is these days.
      My only advice is drive one with it and one without and make up your own mind, that's what I did knowing that it's just another potential to break/fail..if you're going to spend your hard earned on a car why not just do it and enjoy whatever features it has.

Good luck with your choice, I looked at all the competition (I mean all) and really couldn't go past the Volvo for value, safety and being that little bit different, as for the Lexus, some say they are the ugliest cars on the road (and I agree) but they may in the longer term have that proven Toyota reliability that a lot of other brands just can't match. Some models are now just too old (the underpinnings) and could be considered "dressed up" versions of lesser cars.

Good luck with whatever you choose and don't fret with your choice afterwards.
      Huge thanks for sharing your experience in the first place, and thanks for letting me know the following up. I really appreciate all the help and glad that your air suspension got fixed and you enjoy your ride

The car I would like to keep for 7-10 years so probably I will go without the air supsension option.

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      We have about 17kmiles on our XC60 with air suspension, and it has been trouble free so far. Don't regret ordering it at all - it makes the ride ridiculously smooth.
      Thanks for letting me know

My SUV is relatively new (2 months and 2500 Miles) and located in northeast, hence you should not be considering my experience so far, for longevity or long term issues.
      Thanks for the update, glad that you enjoy your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by sergjut14 View Post
      Never had problems throughout Virginia and Maryland, as well as traveling north/south in the neighboring areas! And had to share a single car garage, so I mostly parked outside in the winter, of course! The mileage was between 18 up to about 22/23, depending on type...
      Awesome, thanks again for letting me know, I probably will settle with a Inscription without the air suspension for the long term, looking to keep it for 7-10 years.

I can give you a little perspective. We have a 2018 xc60 with all the extras including air suspension. We also have a 2017 Lexus rx450h also with all the extras we could get at that time. It doesn't have air suspension. You're talking about 2 completely different cars, however. I know you were looking at the sport version of the Lexus, but to me it is a Luxury Car. The ride is outstanding, the seats really comfortable, the mileage is great, the quality can't be beat. If I put it is sports mode it has a fast acceleration, but not like the Volvo. Our Volvo has a supercharger and in sport mode you can get whiplash. The ride is very smooth and the seats are very comfortable (and they have massage), but just a little less comfortable than the Lexus. The Volvo is quality made, good materials, but the biggest differences are mileage and reliability. Based on another Lexus I had I don't expect to have many mechanical or other problems with the Lexus. I've already had one major problem with the Volvo and will be going in a second time for what I hope isn't too bad. My wife and I discussed the cars and wondered if we could only keep one car, which one would it be? We both agreed....the Lexus.

Quote Originally Posted by joelp01 View Post
      I can give you a little perspective. We have a 2018 xc60 with all the extras including air suspension. We also have a 2017 Lexus rx450h also with all the extras we could get at that time. It doesn't have air suspension. You're talking about 2 completely different cars, however. I know you were looking at the sport version of the Lexus, but to me it is a Luxury Car. The ride is outstanding, the seats really comfortable, the mileage is great, the quality can't be beat. If I put it is sports mode it has a fast acceleration, but not like the Volvo. Our Volvo has a supercharger and in sport mode you can get whiplash. The ride is very smooth and the seats are very comfortable (and they have massage), but just a little less comfortable than the Lexus. The Volvo is quality made, good materials, but the biggest differences are mileage and reliability. Based on another Lexus I had I don't expect to have many mechanical or other problems with the Lexus. I've already had one major problem with the Volvo and will be going in a second time for what I hope isn't too bad. My wife and I discussed the cars and wondered if we could only keep one car, which one would it be? We both agreed....the Lexus.
      Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it!

And now it reminds me!! I test drove a 2018 model back in 2017, at that time, I noticed that the console (touch screen, Sensus) was very hot for some reason, and eventually I did not buy the car. I am going to do test drive tomorrow on the 2020 model, and I will definitely pay attention to this.

May I ask what problem is your car running into?

Thanks again!

I have a 2018 T8 XC60 Inscription with air suspension which I bought through OSD in 2017. No problems with the air suspension or anything for that matter after 70K miles. It’s an outstanding vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofoten View Post
      I have a 2018 T8 XC60 Inscription with air suspension which I bought through OSD in 2017. No problems with the air suspension or anything for that matter after 70K miles. Itís an outstanding vehicle.
      Good to hear. Seems about similar date of my car with air suspension, built in Nov 2017.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lofoten View Post
      I have a 2018 T8 XC60 Inscription with air suspension which I bought through OSD in 2017. No problems with the air suspension or anything for that matter after 70K miles. Itís an outstanding vehicle.
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Good to hear. Seems about similar date of my car with air suspension, built in Nov 2017.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much guys, good to know.

I will test drive a 2020 R Design tomorrow and a 2019 Inscription on Friday.

Just out of curiorisity, is your console (touch screen, Sensus) hot? I test drove a 2018 XC60 in 2017, and found it quite hot.

Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it!

And now it reminds me!! I test drove a 2018 model back in 2017, at that time, I noticed that the console (touch screen, Sensus) was very hot for some reason, and eventually I did not buy the car. I am going to do test drive tomorrow on the 2020 model, and I will definitely pay attention to this.

May I ask what problem is your car running into?

Thanks again!
      I had a coolant leak, but you couldn't see the leak from either the top or the bottom of the engine. You could only see the results of the leak. The catalytic converter had to be removed and an O2 sensor. The sensor seized and therefore the catalytic converter and sensor had to be replaced as well. Many parts had to be removed and reassembled to get to the leak. About 10 days later, the job was done. Now I have lost voice control. From what I read, it may be a module that has to be replaced. I only have a little over 10,000 miles on the car. I don't want to be taking it in every few months for another problem.

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements