washer fluid recommendations
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which washer fluid to buy?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Iíve been using Kristall from Germany. It needs to be diluted but itís outstanding.

Read through the description. I think you will be impressed with all it does. Iíve been very pleased with it.

This one is not rated for winter use, but they have a winter version, as well.

Itís available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9210...76501481&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by coachlange; 12-07-2019 at 09:22 PM.
      2018 XC60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension | 21" Wheels | Polestar

Can I not just drive to my local dealer and won't they top it off for free? , I have been doing that with my other european car and they (the dealers around my town) all top it off for free. I haven't not bought the car from them, and still they do for free. Sorry for the dumb question, I am new to Volvo (well 2 months now)
      Last edited by PSamy; 12-08-2019 at 01:46 AM.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Last winter after almost 60 years of driving I found out the hard way about windshield washer fluid. First Swedish car (2009 Saab) had a windshield washer that wouldn't work in the coldest months of the year. Thought it was the pump so to my trusted Indie it went. Went to pick it up and wrench turner present me with a $2.00 bill ( a gag). Showed me that the cheap fluid at the dollar store had a label that needed read. One bigger bottle was nothing more than Summer Blue water that did nor protect to under freezing temp. Pump froze solid. Thawed out and the good stuff worked like a charm. (Told you he was trusted!) Get good stuff and read the label.

I have always just used Rain X Winter washer fluid...good down to -30C......use it all year round,,,,,so when it gets cold, I dont forget to drain the summer stuff....
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Thanks for that, this stuff caught my attention, and I ordered it.

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      Can I not just drive to my local dealer and won't they top it off for free? , I have been doing that with my other european car and they (the dealers around my town) all top it off for free. I haven't not bought the car from them, and still they do for free. Sorry for the dumb question, I am new to Volvo (well 2 months now)
      I'm not sure, I never had to refill my washer fluid yet. Only done my first 1 year service recently and 3 days before my scheduled service, I had the washer fluid warning. They always top it off every service for free. But this time I've been using the washer fluid a lot more then before, so I am worried I'd run out before the next service. I might as well ask what people use and recommendations, to be prepared. It is my first time owning a car in my life, and the dealership is not close to where I am.

I too use Rain-X winter fluid, it is now purple in color and good down to -30 as mentioned. The other I've used is Prestone winter fluid, I think it touts itself as a 3 in 1 fluid and is pink-ish in color. And as also mentioned, I just use it year round as wasting and emptying winter fluid just to add 'summer fluid' and then use that up again to yet again add winter fluid is wasteful and unnecessary.
      Currently Own:

2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription ó Replaced my 2016 XC90 First Edition

2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum ó Replaced my 2017 Audi Q7

I use whatever brand is rated to -40C or -45C from my local supermarket. I buy several jugs at a time at the start of winter and top up the reservoir before any trip of 200 km or more. With the front and rear screens plus the headlight washers you can get through a gallon very quickly. Pity they canít repeat the oil level gauge on the car status tab with a washer fluid gauge...there must be a sensor for the low fluid warning light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a side note, I always make it a habit to top off the washer fluid reservoir before I bring any of my vehicles in for service to prevent the dealership from topping the tank with whatever it is they use as their washer fluid. I'd hate to chance them adding something other than a good fluid that could lead to freezing/issues in the winter.
      Currently Own:

2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription ó Replaced my 2016 XC90 First Edition

2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum ó Replaced my 2017 Audi Q7

I use what washer fluids I can get the cheapest. During the summer, I found 6 gallons of Walmart Winter blend on clearance for $0.50 each. I add in the Rain-x concentrate stuff when I re-fill.

Also, my dealer charges for wiper fluids after the "free" services are done.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by coachlange View Post
      Iíve been using Kristall from Germany. It needs to be diluted but itís outstanding.

Read through the description. I think you will be impressed with all it does. Iíve been very pleased with it.

This one is not rated for winter use, but they have a winter version, as well.

Itís available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9210...76501481&psc=1

+1

Been using for years.

That said do not use that one for winter it WILL freeze. The winter version, as much as I like it is way too expensive and I get it wholesale. Stick to regular gallon size de-icer and you'll be fine.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

Guys the -30 stuff is just not enough here is a photo of what I dumped into mine while in Sweden. This liquid ainít going to freeze for sure.

I wonder if anywhere apart from Siberia or maybe Antarctica ever gets anywhere near -100 even allowing for ď windchillĒ. The Newtonís law of cooling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here in Maryland if it gets down to -10C, the world is ending.....
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

does it have to say de icer? I got this one from walmart for winter. https://drive.google.com/open?id=16j...UPnvNI467iZ5yZ

Years ago I struggled finding a fluid that cut the grime and didn't freeze during winter and stumbled on to Nextzett and have been happy with the performance. I have used their winter fluid for years. https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9425...ef_=ast_sto_dp It has worked great on our trips back to Iowa to see family. We have encountered temps near 0 deg F. when go during the winter trips. I will add that I prime the system, making sure that winter fluid is all through to all washer jets when expecting freezing weather and have yet to have issues when needing to use the washer.

For summer or warmer times of year, I swap fluid to their other offering. https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9210...ef_=ast_sto_dp
      2016 XC60 DRIVE-E T5, Ice White
      2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude, White
      1970 VW Beetle - currently a driver that is soon to be restored.

I always order the fluid recommended by Volvo with their name on it. I was told by many that other brands will cause a problem with the sensors that read the level in the tank. Just my thoughts

Don't like Rain-X so never use it. Don't like most of the gallon sized offerings as they don't seem to clean too well.

Have been using Volvo "Volvo Genuine 1189943, Windshield Washer Fluid 32 FL. Oz (1 Quart)." This is a concentrate. Available through Amazon and through various online parts stores like Voluparts, OEM Parts Direct, Volvo Parts Webstore, etc., etc.

I dilute it for the expected temperatures. Like it because it has a "soapy" quality (little bubbles) on the glass. Doesn't feel soapy on the fingers and leaves no residue on the glass but cleans very very well.

My choice.
      Present autos:
      2018 XC90 T6 delivered 8/28/17: Momentum Plus; Convenience; 20" double 5 spoke wheels; Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires changed to Michelin Premier LTX 8,300 miles; heated steering wheel; charcoal leather; luminous sand
      1930 Model A Ford Cabriolet
      Volvo history: 2005 S40; 2005 XC90; 2009 XC90; 2014 XC60; 2018 XC90

Speaking of windshield washer fluid... do you guys notice an unpleasant chemical smell when using it on the glass from the inside of the car? My S60 has the fluid come out of the wiper arms straight onto the glass so I'm not even sure how the smell of the cheap blue washer fluid that I picked up at Auto-zone is getting into the cabin almost instantaneously. Side note, i do have an excellent sense of smell.
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design w/Polestar

Some odor might seep in through the vents. I remember smelling the German summer mix inside and wondering what in the hell do they put in it and what did it remind me of.

Quote Originally Posted by rnb View Post
      Have been using Volvo "Volvo Genuine 1189943, Windshield Washer Fluid 32 FL. Oz (1 Quart)." This is a concentrate. Available through Amazon and through various online parts stores like Voluparts, OEM Parts Direct, Volvo Parts Webstore, etc., etc.

I dilute it for the expected temperatures. Like it because it has a "soapy" quality (little bubbles) on the glass. Doesn't feel soapy on the fingers and leaves no residue on the glass but cleans very very well.

My choice.
      Ditto here for both my Volvos.
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

I finally figured out why the smell gets into the interior so fast....that happens when the healight washer spray. Being that the air intake is there by the front grill it gets into the car very fast....
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design w/Polestar

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements