Audi E-Tron has software problems bigger than ours
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Audi E-Tron has software problems bigger than ours

We are getting ready to replace our Chevy Bolt as the lease is up in Jan. I noticed the other day that Audi has the E-Tron which is a good looking all electric Q5 like vehicle. It may be a bit too big for my Wife but I am investigating it now. I joined the Audi Forum and began looking at all the posts in the E-Tron section. The car is really nice looking and the interior is well done. I was curious about the software and whether or not they are getting over the air downloads. Guess what? People are complaining that have had the car now for almost a year that NO software updates are available. Someone posted that they had a higher rev software than what others reported so one fellow took his car to the dealer and here is what he learned.

Quote: Originally Posted by baherrick
      So I got my car back and checked the software version and nothing changed. My original service advisor had gone home so I asked another adviser that was still there and he told me the software was up to date. I told him about the forum and asked him why others had a different version. He said there are different generations of the e-Tron so those with the 2538 software are first generation and those with 2659 are second generation and the software can not be interchanged.

That makes some sense because my e-Tron was actually built in March of 2019 so it is first generation. Not sure what is the difference between generations but I would suspect there have been some changes to some of the hardware to improve things. Hard to say for sure.

I can say that I have had my e-Tron for over a week and I haven't experienced any bugginess so far. I came from a Jaguar F-Pace so I know well about issues with the software. For some it ended up being the module itself that had to be replaced. Maybe that is the case with some here.

So it would be good to hear from someone who maybe had a contact with a technician who could provide more details on the differences between versions of software and a history of past software changes and any new upcoming updates.

if this is the case It really shows how out of touch Audi is when it comes to software architecture, design and software updates. How on earth could an existing same year model change so much that it can’t have the same software applied to it.

this would be like Apple saying iOS 13.2 is only available to new iPhone 11’s purchased in the last months. Those who got day 1 iPhone 11’s, I’m sorry but your stuck with iOS 13 and all the bugs that came with it.

absolutely absurd!

I just filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission citing refusal to fix bugs for existing owners, lack of updates on when they will be fixed and refusal to apply newer software to existing cars. It’s time to stop these car manufacturers from delivering crap and just expect you to put up with it!

Well isn't this interesting? I often see complaints on this forum that we cannot get software updates over the air and must go into the dealer. Well, here is a relatively new vehicle that not only does not get software updates (other than maps) over the air but also does not get them at the dealer. Be careful what you wish for. So perhaps our Volvo experience is not so bad after all. Yes Tesla does do over the air. That does make them special. They probably had to as they have so few dealerships where you could take the car. I am hoping that the new XC40 Recharge comes out soon enough so that we can acquire one. I have a deposit in but have no idea when it will be available. It might not come out till mid summer 2020. We will need a car sooner rather than later.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes, Volvo did install “IOS 13.2” on “iPhone 11” and prior “iPhones”, but hardware upgrade seems inevitable. The loaner 2020 V60 cc I drove last week ran the same software much smoother than my 2017 xc90, which was upgraded to the latest version.

But I do agree Audi should offer this option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is another interesting post: Perhaps we are living in a bubble and just don't realize it.

Quote: Originally Posted by gfrnd
      The e-Tron is great. I've never owned and never wanted an SUV but compromised because I wanted an electric.
      Dealer experience was not good, I have no respect for our closest dealer and will not work with them in the future; there are other dealers in the region (central CT).
      Driving the car is an extreme pleasure. It isn't often when you can make a change that feels right while adding to the fun at the same time. This vehicle does that.
      However:
      The MMI/management/myAudi is a disgrace. VW/Audi should be ashamed of their inability to deliver on the electronics. I have to assume many of the problem aren't unique to the e-Tron since the MMI is nearly identical to many of their other vehicles. I have a current model BMW and connectivity and systems are so much better. We have the dreaded exit malfunction, the mapping regarding chargers is a joke, shortcuts disappear, the car doesn't recognize alternate driver, I could go on. None of these issues make a car that drives so well bad but all of the annoyances collect. I hope VW/Audi is focused fixing this mess right away and will appropriately provide the purchasers with correctly functioning systems.
      I'm happy I have this vehicle BUT unless they fix the systems and communications to current standards when it comes time to replace the BMW with an electric vehicle, VW/Audi will not be considered. The Polestar 2 is looking good and I'm looking forward to what BMW offers in a non SUV. I want a VW but again no way unless they fix the countless technology issues.

Couldn't agree more on the MMI/remote connection via the app, it is shockingly poor, if I would have known how poor it was, I would not of purchased the vehicle (regardless of it being a nice drive). You watch the videos and read the marketing page and think great, remote heating, charger setting and status, real time traffic, multi user etc. How wrong could you be, to be honest it is just complete miss selling. I struggle to get the remote heating working, one of the key luxuries when it’s cold to have on an electric car you, you would think it was simple to warm it up before you jump in or set a timer, well think again, I have given up and live with the disappointment of manual cleaning of windows and sitting in cold seats/interior. If you do get a communication with the car, you find out you can not even set the temperature via the climate timer (go figure that out). It is also non logical and difficult to navigate. As for the charger location on the maps, that’s anyone’s guess what it show you. I have never had such technolgy frustrations with any other cars. The etron is my first and will be my last Audi.

Reply Like

Lee Bradford

View Public Profile

Send a private message to Lee Bradford

Find More Posts by Lee Bradford

11-07-2019, 09:36 AM

realfan
      AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thoroughly enjoying this car as well. It is my first electric vehicle. The only thing I don't like is the range but it hasn't really limited me in any meaningful way. I just charge more frequently than I'd like.

Also, as for the squeaky brake issue, I took my e-Tron in for that and was told that a couple of hard stops would solve the issue. It did but the problem reappears every two weeks or so and I just need to do a couple of hard stops again to make it go away.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Ha! Thanks for posting this. I saw one of these in the wild for the first time last week and was having trouble figuring out was it was until up close. It’s an extremely good looking vehicle and I actually like the front a lot.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

I pre-ordered the ETron, and even test drove several, but ended up in a T8 instead. In the end, it was the range. Plus the fact that it's the size of a three-row SUV, but without a third row. That third row is important to me, so if I don't have it, the car better be pretty compact as my trade off.

I have software issues in the T8 as well, though very minor. For some reason it can only remember my seat and mirror memory in my profile about half the time. Not a big deal since the door memory button still works, but I don't understand it at all. Sometimes the seat will go but the mirrors won't. Damnedest thing.

But, what I'm really impressed with is the connectivity. If I want that thing to pre heat, the app starts up in second, and seconds later after a single UI press, my car is getting warmer. The A3 ETron I had was a nightmare in this regard. I had to write a script to auto-retry the request because it failed 80% of the time and start it very early because it could take 20 minutes or more to eventually go through. I'm sad to see that Audi still hasn't figured this out.

Here is the one that we (I) am thinking about. I really like the color. The lack of customer support has me wondering. I should say that electric cars (the four that we have had to date) seldom need software updates. They seem to be much simpler than Hybrids or Plugin Hybrids. We have had one update on the Chevy Bolt in three years. One on the Leaf in three years. None on the Soul EV in three years. None on the RAV4EV in 2 years.
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

So much to like about the Audi, but for such a large battery the range is pathetic IMHO. Not an issue if it’s only for DD/City duties and you plug it in every night of course.

And how hard can it be getting software updates OTA figured out? Tesla has been doing this for many years.

My nephew is a salesman for a high end Audi dealer so, of course, my sister and brother and all of the cousins have Audi’s. They all seem fairly happy except for their experience with the previous generation E-Tron, which they had Audi buy back. My nephew is an Audi lover and wouldn’t sell me an E-Tron at this point.....just an fyi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

Thanks for sharing the Audit perspective. I blame most 1st gen product releases on the classic tensions that exists between "unrealistic" expectations of business / marketing vs the "practical" engineers.
      But Audit and the rest of the German automakers hold a special place in my heart after the Deiselgate Debacle whose corporate decisions (made by many corrupted people) killed or injured their fellow neighbors.
      Even recently VW has been found to be somewhat "resistant" to being forthcoming with German authorities so it's not even close to being over yet.
      https://europe.autonews.com/automake...n-diesel-probe

Since a product purchase can be likened to a vote expressing support, confidence in the company, and their decision-making ability, unless these German automakers make meaningful reparations for the damage they caused their neighbors, I am taking my $xx,xxx vote elsewhere just on principal.
      From what you share as well as Volvo's behavior and stated corporate ethics, I think we really do have it (relatively) good with Volvo.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 12-08-2019 at 07:52 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      My nephew is a salesman for a high end Audi dealer so, of course, my sister and brother and all of the cousins have Audi’s. They all seem fairly happy except for their experience with the previous generation E-Tron, which they had Audi buy back. My nephew is an Audi lover and wouldn’t sell me an E-Tron at this point.....just an fyi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Oh, that is disconcerting. I know that I get caught up in tech and it might blind me to what is really there. The other consideration is my Wife is not really into tech and has trouble with her iPhone and apps. So perhaps I should calm down and wait for the Volvo XC40 Recharge for which I placed a deposit. I wish Volvo would keep us informed as to when that car will make its debut.
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      Oh, that is disconcerting. I know that I get caught up in tech and it might blind me to what is really there. The other consideration is my Wife is not really into tech and has trouble with her iPhone and apps. So perhaps I should calm down and wait for the Volvo XC40 Recharge for which I placed a deposit. I wish Volvo would keep us informed as to when that car will make its debut.
      I too am a tech lover after being in the high end audio business for 20 years starting in college. I LOVE gadgets! Thats why I leased my 2019 S60 with the anticipation that by 2022 the market and I will be in the same place. I don’t know who will get my money but I’m betting that in 2022 there will be enough selection and competition for me to get a PEV. Fisker? Tesla Gen 2? Volvo? Polestar? One of the Other Europeans? Genesis? I’m excited!
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements