SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Spotted TWO unicorn '95 850 T-5R GREEN wagons in Amsterdam

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  RooBah 
#1 ·
I was in Amsterdam with the fam over Thanksgiving, because let's admit: turkey blows. That and tickets were cheap. While Amsterdam is better known as cyclist-friendly and home to some great museums, I spotted a Green T-5R wagon drive past me. I nearly flipped out and my wife thought I was nuts... then as we walked to lunch the next day, I spotted another Green T-5R wagon (was missing the yellow prancing moose sticker the other car had), and this one was parked. And aside from the wrong wheels and a new exhaust, this car was in PERFECT condition. I peaked in and behold: it was a manual transmission! It was all I could do to NOT leave a note on the window begging for a way to buy it and ship back to the US.

So now that we are near the 25th year for a "vintage" car to be shipped to the US, does anyone here have an inside track on that? My pick is still for the Yellow version, though I think the Green was the most rare of the three colors.

Cheers

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mode of transport Volvo cars

See less See more
#5 ·
OK, thanks. I thought the figures in the US were representative for the ROW... with the 25yr rule coming up on these, it may be possible to scoop up a manual too!

Cheers

#7 ·
#6 ·
One of the members here tracks the T-5R market and I thought he indicated at one point that there were more T-5R's in the Netherlands than any other country. They're also a lot more expensive in Europe than they are in the US. Probably the best way to get a factory manual (not swapped) T-5R would be to find one in Canada and import it. Some of us have looked into that in the past.

#11 ·
That was me. I'm helping with that stat having sold my yellow sedan to a guy in the Netherlands lol. I don't know if there are more T-5Rs in the Netherlands than any other country, but I do know there are more currently registered there than the 489 that were originally delivered. Germany got the most at 1,433. The US, Italy, and Japan also had more.

I don't think buying a manual T-5R from Canada is realistic at this point. Harsh climate and only 20 delivered there. I've only ever seen 4.

If you flipped out on that car, I would not recommend ever going to Tokyo. Some of the cleanest T-5Rs I have ever seen were in TKO.

Also, as stated above, green is a big deal for US but pretty common elsewhere. I know I would not want one. ----> Yellow all the way :)
Yes, the cars in Japan are perfect, but very few of them are LHD, and even fewer are manual. Europe is the place to go if you want a manual.

I'd have a green T-5R if I wanted a fast estate car to be invisible in.

I have a green 855 T5-R as my daily driver. And it's a manual! It's a swap I did myself when the auto went south. It has 350,000 miles with both sets of correct wheels 16 & 17". I've never seen another in the US and I've been looking?

Kinda dirty right now but will post a pic when it warms up a bit to give it a wash.

Love the thing especially with the manual shift.

Scott Peper
Kansas City
Shaun has one in Oregon. He keeps talking like he's gonna sell it. I was trying to buy it before I got my CY estate. There are a few others floating around too; one in MD, AZ, CT, and one that's made it's way to Calgary at last check. There's rumor of another in Florida but I've never been able to confirm it. Looked like several of them were immediately exported to Japan as new which explains why we see them so rarely here.

#8 ·
You could probably find a manual, green estate for not THAT much. I've seen some mechanically and cosmetically not perfect ones for sale on the Facebook groups in the past

#9 ·
I have a green 855 T5-R as my daily driver. And it’s a manual! It’s a swap I did myself when the auto went south. It has 350,000 miles with both sets of correct wheels 16 & 17”. I’ve never seen another in the US and I’ve been looking😋

Kinda dirty right now but will post a pic when it warms up a bit to give it a wash.

Love the thing especially with the manual shift.

Scott Peper
Kansas City

#12 ·
I was in Amsterdam with the fam over Thanksgiving, because let's admit: turkey blows. That and tickets were cheap. While Amsterdam is better known as cyclist-friendly and home to some great museums, I spotted a Green T-5R wagon drive past me. I nearly flipped out and my wife thought I was nuts... then as we walked to lunch the next day, I spotted another Green T-5R wagon (was missing the yellow prancing moose sticker the other car had), and this one was parked. And aside from the wrong wheels and a new exhaust, this car was in PERFECT condition. I peaked in and behold: it was a manual transmission! It was all I could do to NOT leave a note on the window begging for a way to buy it and ship back to the US.

So now that we are near the 25th year for a "vintage" car to be shipped to the US, does anyone here have an inside track on that? My pick is still for the Yellow version, though I think the Green was the most rare of the three colors.

Cheers

View attachment 57273
I have connections over there.....
When I was there it was awesome. Saw a CY estate parked on the street among other things. Plus people knew how to drive and the roads weren't full of craters. I didn't want to leave LOL.

Also, yeah, WTF is up with Americans insisting on eating Turkey. We made chicken for Thanksgiving this year. 1000% better. Although the food in the Netherlands is 10000000000% better soooo....

Monday, 7:57 PM Yellow T-5R estate parked in front of Pestana Amsterdam Riverside in Amsterdam, NL.

#14 ·
Of what?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.