Propeller Shaft CV Joint
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Propeller Shaft CV Joint

Hi all, especially those with high mileages, have you ever had to service the cv joints on your prop shaft?

I've got a whirring sound which I'm not sure if it's wheel bearing or diff, but then I am not even sure if the rear diff's engaged all the time so now I thought I'd start somewhere cheap and look at the cv joints on either end of the prop shaft.

I'm guessing servicing it like this won't hurt? AWD Propshaft woes, How to fix!!

I've also spot a CV Joint kit in VIDA for part 31216176 with the description "Only for front CV joints. For rear CV joints the entire propeller shaft must be replaced."
      Though I did see comments mentioning that according to colorado drive shaft that it too can be replaced also.

Potentially it might be 31216175 according to FCPEuro's description

The price on these are slightly insane for the blue box though, at $330 USD vs $28 from driveshaftparts.com, I'm finding it hard to justify if it's 10x better in this case.....

I also came across with this item 14 that doesn't have a part number with my VIN!
      2011 XC90 B8444S R-Design 614 120k km RHD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi,
      For what itís worth I too am troubleshooting a drivetrain vibration come from my AWD system on my 02 V70XC. Iíve gone ahead and ordered a refurbed driveshaft from Coloradodriveshaft.com and will let you know how I make out. I know for a fact that the center bearing is cooked but Iím not sure about the state of the cvís. These guys seem to know their stuff and the set-up is quite handy. You pay them, they send you the driveshaft and then you send your old one back.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

If you pull the Haldex pump fuse and go for a ride and the noise changes itís the input shaft bearing on rear differential. Those are known to go, Land Rover uses the same diff in the LR2, those shops replace the bearings, Volvo just replaces the diff.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I was afraid it'd come to that! wonder how often AWD engages, is it always on? I know it's preloaded as soon as the front slips, but it's not like the front slips that much.... or does it!

Volvo here doesn't even bother replacing the diff, gave me a wild wild price basically told me to write off the car if it came to it!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimemcalpine View Post
      Hi,
      For what itís worth I too am troubleshooting a drivetrain vibration come from my AWD system on my 02 V70XC. Iíve gone ahead and ordered a refurbed driveshaft from Coloradodriveshaft.com and will let you know how I make out. I know for a fact that the center bearing is cooked but Iím not sure about the state of the cvís. These guys seem to know their stuff and the set-up is quite handy. You pay them, they send you the driveshaft and then you send your old one back.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      they sound good just too bad I'm really far from them hahaha! trying to find someone local first I guess, and/or just start with something basic like packing the cv joints with good grease as a first step...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiV8 View Post
      I was afraid it'd come to that! wonder how often AWD engages, is it always on? I know it's preloaded as soon as the front slips, but it's not like the front slips that much.... or does it!

Volvo here doesn't even bother replacing the diff, gave me a wild wild price basically told me to write off the car if it came to it!
      it's always engaged. With the fuse pulled, it allows the pinion to "float" which removes the pressure from the bearing, limiting the noise. This happened to my '08 and I didn't realize until I had the pump replaced. The good news is that the Rear diff is good across all 2007 and up and the Haldex can be replaced from the unit, so I had luck finding one from a '11 on ebay for 400 bucks.
      Last edited by Masscomguru; 12-09-2019 at 09:13 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiV8 View Post

That's why you go take it to a LR shop.
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles

Front Shaft CV joint

I changed the front one. After I changed no more clonk kick metal to metal sound on start or reversing sound.
      Perfectly silent. Also sometimes happend to kick metal to metal when slowing down and releasing pedal on gas
      and than boom kick sound in metal. No more.
      When I opened old one of course balls and around rubber was consumed. Changed on 306.000 km first time.

Changed also regularly Haldex filter. But my model 2006 doesnt allow me to remove Haldex pump to clean small
      plastic filter and service clean grease also pump rotor.

Front one new.

Rear one still good.
      Last edited by Hong Kong; 12-09-2019 at 02:02 PM.
      XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 2006 318.888 km
      Proudly GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS and VOR XC90 2.5t Nr. 615 from 1574 Volvo's 31.03.2019 UK
      + 5704 km longest distance traveled to #Volvo600 UK meeting.

Is it a whirring or vibration? If it is a vibration, where do you feel it? Seat bottom, steering wheel, just the rear passengers? Sometimes bad driveshaft CV joints can cause a vibration on hard acceleration. A vibration felt on the seat bottom that increases with speed could be the center support bearing of the driveshaft.

Does the sound change if you are doing a long left turn or right turn? Asking to see if it could simply be a wheel bearing.

If you regularly change the Haldex and rear diff fluid, then I would go under to see if there is any looseness with the rear CV. You can just grab it and shake. Same for the front. Also, observe if the rubber boot is intact.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 146k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      That's why you go take it to a LR shop.
      The LR/Volvo/Jaguar is the same dealership here.. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong View Post
      I changed the front one. After I changed no more clonk kick metal to metal sound on start or reversing sound.
      Perfectly silent. Also sometimes happend to kick metal to metal when slowing down and releasing pedal on gas
      and than boom kick sound in metal. No more.
      When I opened old one of course balls and around rubber was consumed. Changed on 306.000 km first time.

Changed also regularly Haldex filter. But my model 2006 doesnt allow me to remove Haldex pump to clean small
      plastic filter and service clean grease also pump rotor.

Front one new.

Rear one still good.
      Thanks HK very cool pictures and I am sure you've used the blue box volvo cv joint. I might just bite the bullet if it's indeed cv joint failure. But yours lasted till 300k though, mine's making noise at not even 100k miles, as you said volvo did nothing in terms of quality of parts from 2005 to 2011... insane.

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownV View Post
      Is it a whirring or vibration? If it is a vibration, where do you feel it? Seat bottom, steering wheel, just the rear passengers? Sometimes bad driveshaft CV joints can cause a vibration on hard acceleration. A vibration felt on the seat bottom that increases with speed could be the center support bearing of the driveshaft.

Does the sound change if you are doing a long left turn or right turn? Asking to see if it could simply be a wheel bearing.

If you regularly change the Haldex and rear diff fluid, then I would go under to see if there is any looseness with the rear CV. You can just grab it and shake. Same for the front. Also, observe if the rubber boot is intact.
      Wheel bearing is my first guess, but I can't make the pitch change shifting weight from left to right, though I'm only shifting the weight within a single lane, though I imagine that'd be sufficient.

It's whirring at certain speed, another funny thing is when the load is at the front (going down hill) it's not as evident. Only when uphill and on flat surface.

There's no vibration of any kind, ones I can feel anyway. Just noisy. Starts at around 50km/hr loudest at 80km/hr or so, and goes away at 100km/hr.

I did try and take out fuse 23 7.5A fuse at the cargo fuse box for AWD in the owner's manual. And the noise is louder when compared with AWD engaged...

I do have different tyres front and back, back is slightly more worn than front as well.. I might change a set of tyres too. It's too dark now this weekend I'll try and check the front cv joint too and give it a good yank.

I'm still confused as ever haha.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements