Avoid Mitchell Volvo of Simsbury CT - or am I being unreasonable?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 77
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53

      Avoid Mitchell Volvo of Simsbury CT - or am I being unreasonable?

      Apologies, this will be long. The gist is I had a bad experience with this dealer, but got a great deal on a 2016 XC60 T6 R-Design Platinum(in Red!) with climate package and paid Stiengold Volvo to upgrade the 5yr/unlimited mile to 10yr-unlimited mile CPO warranty. They acted like a used car dealership, and then 6 months later when swapping to winter tires I find the tires their service manager told me were "almost new" have bald inner edges on the rear tires. I brought it up with Volvo Customer Care and they're not going to help. Just trying to understand if I'm being unreasonable. Details:

      Summary of my issues(it's responses I sent to Volvo when asked to summarize my issue):


      -Initial sales person was very difficult to converse with, he seemed disinterested through the whole process and didn't even make a note of the time we'd discussed to come down from NH(3 hour drive) to purchase
      -Initial sales person had no paperwork prepped even after a few weeks of providing our information to him

      -During the test drive we noticed a crack in the driver information panel and marks on the door trim from what was probably a dog

      -We were asked to leave to get a check from our credit union as we'd prepped financing, but then our insurance company and lender noted we didn't have enough info from the dealer so we had to drive back

      -We were then pressured by threat of a fine from the state of CT to utilize a partner bank of the dealers' and give up the remaining 7 months left on the vehicle registration we were transferring

      -The finance manager shared very uncomfortable information about his salary and his daughters after learning my fiance's salary

      -The process took over 4 hours when we'd had everything prepped prior to our arrival

      -Registration was a complicated and stressful process that took nearly a month(more detail in linked review)

      -Now we're experiencing issues with the tires. I've attached copies of the alignment report. I should note the following:

      -I never received a CPO inspection report for the vehicle

      -I do not have a copy of a CarFax report from the dealer so I cannot look to see service history that might include any previous alignments, if any.

      -We only received one key fob

      -The service manager told me over the phone that the tires were essentially new, with 9/32'' and 7/32'' of tread depth on the front wheels and rear wheels, respectively, with no uneven treadwear patterns across the tires. He said a balance check and rotation was performed, but I don't know if the depth measurements are from before or after the rotation.

      -The servicing dealer(Lovering Volvo of Meredith NH) checked the date code on the tires, and it's 4515, the 45th week of 2015, implying these may be the original tires sold with the vehicle and must not have been used often by the original owner prior to trade-in. We were sold a CPO vehicle with 4 year old tires.

      -I removed the wheels at around 49k miles on Nov10, 2019 , about 10-11k miles after purchase to change to winter wheels and tires. It was at this time that I saw the drivers side rear tire with essentially zero tread depth on the inside edge of the tire, and the passenger side rear with very uneven wear on the inside edge as well

      -The selling dealerships sales manager, Kyle, told me it was likely something we did to the vehicle to cause this issue when I spoke to him November 11th. When I asked him if this would be the same response he'd have given to someone who purchased a new vehicle, he would not answer.

      -The magnitude of the tread wear suggests the vehicle has been out of alignment for a long time, or the alignment was recently severely out. All 4 wheels were out. We commute two vehicles on the same roads, this 2016 XC60 T6 R-Design Platinum and a 2015 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum. The latter has had the same summer and winter tires driving the same roads for the last 3 years and no tire shows uneven wear, and the vehicle drives straight and the alignment has never been in question due to our driving habits or local roads.

      -Spoke with Volvo and they would help if I had a Volvo service center look at the vehicle. Paid for an alignment and sent them a copy of my review to dealerrater. They came back with a 30% mail in rebate for the services I paid for, but wont push the dealer to help with the tires which are not salvageable.

      Link to page with my review: https://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Mitchell-Volvo-of-Simsbury-review-41500/page3/?filter=ALL_REVIEWS
      Titled "Terrible Experience Great Car"...can't directly link. Sorry, it's long.

      I'd honestly just let this all go if the experience hadn't been so awful from the start. In the end, do you think it would be reasonable to expect to have to replace tires on a $29k CPO vehicle within 6 months of purchase?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member mgm7890's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2013
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,175
      I don't know a lot about CPO T&C, but I would think tires are a consumable item that is prone to wear and tear.

      Did you verify the tread depths yourself, or take their word? I'm unsure of what you're trying to accomplish. Do you want them to replace your worn tire and pay for an alignment and fix the issue why the tire is wearing?

      Do you have a photo of the tires?
      Last edited by mgm7890; 12-09-2019 at 02:43 PM.
      2005 S40 2.4i

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      They measured the tread depth, and they never provided a CPO report...still haven't. My expectation is that they wouldn't certify a vehicle with 4 year old tires without checking the alignment. I'd expect them to at least replace the rear tires that are the worse. I'm not claiming this is a warranty issue. I'm claiming it's an issue with the certifying dealer not doing full diligence.

      Tires:
      https://imgur.com/a/0H7Jt0J

      Not in any order, but the two with the least tread on the inner edge were on the rear of the car. Dealer noted no abnormal wear patterns - that's what the service manager told me over the phone. I was +/- 1k miles from a tire rotation interval. Tires went from 9/32 and 7/32 in May to what you see in the pictures in October.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      11,008
      Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
      In the end, do you think it would be reasonable to expect to have to replace tires on a $29k CPO vehicle within 6 months of purchase?
      Six months having elapsed from buying the car to bringing up the issue with the selling dealer hurts your case - anything could have happened when that car left the dealership. Of course they should not have worn out over that time - it would be great to see the CPO inspection report. There appears to be some inconsistency from dealer to dealer as to how comprehensive the inspection report is and how rigorously these cars are inspected. Some folks have commented recently that tire inspections are getting more thorough but that's not going to help you now.

      You indicate that you got a great deal on the car and now you need to throw a set of tires on earlier than expected. It's not ideal and I can understand your frustration but it happens. Whenever I'm looking at a used car I factor in the cost of a new set of tires and an alignment to at least establish a baseline, assuming the tires the car is coming with are shot. Nobody puts nice new tires that you'd want to have on a car and then trades it.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Given the date code, it appears they are from the original manufacture year of the car, so they could be the originals and the original owner didn't use them. Our V60 CPO came with brand new Continental DWS Extreme Contact tires.

      I understand the position the dealer is in, and the time that's elapsed. The alignment would have had to be WAY out in a short period to cause the wear, or out all around a good amount over a long time. The service manager that did the alignment agreed, but since they didn't remove the tires(I'd already swapped my winters on), they wouldn't support any speculation.

      I'd totally be down to swallow this, but if you read the entire fiasco we went through in my review, you may understand my level of frustration with the dealer and expectation that someone provide some level of positive customer service beyond a $45 service credit(what Volvo cust. Care is offering). I posted a review months ago, thought we were through and now I'm looking at replacing 4 tires for around $900. Add the alignment and we're over $1k in 7 months of ownership for a CPO vehicle with less than 40k miles when we picked it up. I could have done a full brake job for less than that.

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      408
      Most of what you list has nothing to do with the tires or concern, so it does lend to "here is a complainer". The price paid is irrelevant as the car should have met the CPO standard regardless. If the car didn't meet the standards at time of sale (such as the single key) that should have been addressed. But tire problems 6 months after the fact are on you. In general that dealer has pretty great reviews on google AND dealer rater.

      -Initial sales person was very difficult to converse with, he seemed disinterested through the whole process and didn't even make a note of the time we'd discussed to come down from NH(3 hour drive) to purchase
      -Initial sales person had no paperwork prepped even after a few weeks of providing our information to him
      Not all sales folks are great.. sometimes there are personality conflicts. If they're not great they won't last long. It's a high turn over industry. I started back in 2008 and have worked with probably close to 100 sales folks directly and I can count 7 that are still sales folks who have been in longer than myself. Most people wouldn't like the job. I will say at the dealership I work out now everyone else has been in the industry longer than myself and I do think that makes a difference.

      -During the test drive we noticed a crack in the driver information panel and marks on the door trim from what was probably a dog
      So? It is a used car. You don't have to buy it if its not in the condition you expect or want.

      -We were asked to leave to get a check from our credit union as we'd prepped financing, but then our insurance company and lender noted we didn't have enough info from the dealer so we had to drive back
      Often there is incomplete communication when using a 3rd party bank. Typically their in house financing can get close to the same rate if not beat it. Not always of course, but often. And it's always easier.

      -We were then pressured by threat of a fine from the state of CT to utilize a partner bank of the dealers' and give up the remaining 7 months left on the vehicle registration we were transferring
      Could be there is a fine if it's not done right and going there way has a better chance of it being done right. We use a 3rd party to handle out of state registration. Some of these 3rd parties are easier to use than others. But generally we don't have much to know about other states. IDK how much 7 month of registration costs you, but here it would be about $30.... so not much to worry about.. just go with the flow.

      -The finance manager shared very uncomfortable information about his salary and his daughters after learning my fiance's salary
      okay boomer =-D... in all fairness, this is a generational thing. Younger folks don't consider salary a bit private matter. It was unprofessional but not something to complain up the ladder about IMO.

      -The process took over 4 hours when we'd had everything prepped prior to our arrival
      I really don't miss not having a finance department. That can hold things up. But 4 hours in and out with you taking a test drive isn't too bad. Especially if you hadn't committed to the vehicle 100% ahead of time. Why get everything ready if you might just say no? It goes back to the good sales folks too. Honestly I probably would have had the car washed and looking it's best for an out of state person and had most of the paperwork ready to print. I have better things to do with 4 hours than wait for paperwork.. such as post on Swedespeed!

      -Registration was a complicated and stressful process that took nearly a month(more detail in linked review)
      3rd party registration can take awhile. I'm dealing with it right now with a customer from Florida. Not the customers fault at all, and not my fault at all. Out of state takes awhile... stressing over it does not speed up the process.

      -Now we're experiencing issues with the tires. I've attached copies of the alignment report. I should note the following:
      Should have been checked at time of purchase if it was a concern. I wouldn't want old tires, but they had the choice of keeping the old tires that passed on or putting the expense into a car that probably would have broke their budget on it. You had the right to negotiate new tires and an alignment, of course that would have affected price if the tires on there met the standard. But we're speculating 6 months later.

      -I never received a CPO inspection report for the vehicle
      Could have been an honest mistake. You should be able to request that yet.

      -I do not have a copy of a CarFax report from the dealer so I cannot look to see service history that might include any previous alignments, if any.
      You could ask for one yet, or pay for one. I rarely print one out unless a customer requests it. We have them online while the car is in inventory. I go over the car fax with folks all the time, but don't see the reason to waste the paper if it's not requested.

      -We only received one key fob
      Valid complaint.. but should have been addressed at time of sale with written "we owe".

      -The service manager told me over the phone that the tires were essentially new, with 9/32'' and 7/32'' of tread depth on the front wheels and rear wheels, respectively, with no uneven treadwear patterns across the tires. He said a balance check and rotation was performed, but I don't know if the depth measurements are from before or after the rotation.
      That's the best info they have then.

      -The servicing dealer(Lovering Volvo of Meredith NH) checked the date code on the tires, and it's 4515, the 45th week of 2015, implying these may be the original tires sold with the vehicle and must not have been used often by the original owner prior to trade-in. We were sold a CPO vehicle with 4 year old tires.
      If the tread was still good as described above then that would be okay

      -I removed the wheels at around 49k miles on Nov10, 2019 , about 10-11k miles after purchase to change to winter wheels and tires. It was at this time that I saw the drivers side rear tire with essentially zero tread depth on the inside edge of the tire, and the passenger side rear with very uneven wear on the inside edge as well

      -The selling dealerships sales manager, Kyle, told me it was likely something we did to the vehicle to cause this issue when I spoke to him November 11th. When I asked him if this would be the same response he'd have given to someone who purchased a new vehicle, he would not answer.
      It's really impossible to say without confirmation at time of sale. Most smart folks do not answer "gotcha" questions

      -The magnitude of the tread wear suggests the vehicle has been out of alignment for a long time, or the alignment was recently severely out. All 4 wheels were out. We commute two vehicles on the same roads, this 2016 XC60 T6 R-Design Platinum and a 2015 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum. The latter has had the same summer and winter tires driving the same roads for the last 3 years and no tire shows uneven wear, and the vehicle drives straight and the alignment has never been in question due to our driving habits or local roads.
      it's possible either way. Again, if they missed it and you missed it then it's on you.

      -Spoke with Volvo and they would help if I had a Volvo service center look at the vehicle. Paid for an alignment and sent them a copy of my review to dealerrater. They came back with a 30% mail in rebate for the services I paid for, but wont push the dealer to help with the tires which are not salvageable.
      So you got something!

    9. #7
      Junior Member ckmack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2015
      Location
      Southern Maine
      Posts
      684
      Some of the issues you mentioned could have easily been rectified by a customer doing their due diligence. I'm not saying that this dealership should be given a pass, but I've learned to always ask for a Carfax or CPO inspection before committing to a vehicle. Additionally, getting confirmation that there are two keys, an owner's manual, that there will be a full tank of gas, floor mats, etc.

      Lastly, if you don't like or feel confident in the sales person you are speaking, ask for another one or just ask to deal with a sales manager instead.
      Daily Driver: 2017 V60 T6 R-Design Bursting Blue / Black, 36k, "Bertie"
      Garage Queen: 1995 850 T-5R sedan Cream Yellow / Black, 97k, "Daisy"
      Garage Queen: 1995 850 T-5R estate Cream Yellow / Black, 287k, "Daisy2"
      Garage Queen: 2005 V70R Flash Green / Nordkap, 86k, "Flash"
      Past: 2005 S60R Black Sapphire / Nordkap, 88k, "Peggy"
      Past: 2000 V70R Laser Blue / Black, 174k, "Vicky"
      Past: 2000 S70 GLT SE Moondust / Beige, 175k, "Sandy"
      Past: 2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue / Black, 88k, "Roxy"
      Past :2006 XC70 AWD Willow Green / Beige, 146k, "XC"

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      Most of what you list has nothing to do with the tires or concern, so it does lend to "here is a complainer".
      So you got something!
      Nice dick reply. I'm just a complainer and a Boomer...alright, sure.

      I've dealt with a lot of different dealers. This one was garbage. My wife has had a similar volume of experience, and she was also insulted at the salary comments. It gave a smarmy used car dealership vibe.

      We had an awesome experience at Boston Village Volvo.

      The reason I made the comment about the crack, dog scratches and key fob was due to the service manager at Lovering Volvo of Meredith who said he'd not only never let a CPO vehicle leave on 4 year old tires, but he'd also never have let it leave the lot with the interior damage we have(which I agree is minor, but he brought it up, I didn't).

      If the car had needed brakes or any other wear item I'd have been completely indifferent to the expense. New tires inside a tire rotation interval is pathetic and absolutely not due to our negligence. Tires looked good at time of purchase, drove straight but sounded loud. We honestly had no reason to think there was a problem
      Last edited by ryboto; 12-10-2019 at 05:04 AM.

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by ckmack View Post
      Some of the issues you mentioned could have easily been rectified by a customer doing their due diligence. I'm not saying that this dealership should be given a pass, but I've learned to always ask for a Carfax or CPO inspection before committing to a vehicle. Additionally, getting confirmation that there are two keys, an owner's manual, that there will be a full tank of gas, floor mats, etc.

      Lastly, if you don't like or feel confident in the sales person you are speaking, ask for another one or just ask to deal with a sales manager instead.
      We didn't even get the option to ask. When we returned from attempting to get a check, the sales rep wasn't there. A senior rep went to his office, couldn't find any paperwork and we were pushed to the smarmy finance manager that got defensive at seeing my wife's salary. He had to make it a point to say he makes more. The finance manager had to restart the entire purchase process that I started 3 weeks prior.
      Last edited by ryboto; 12-09-2019 at 08:10 PM.

    12. #10
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      464
      If you had a bad buying experience and aren't local, why would you expect them to go out of their way for you 6 months and 10,000 miles later?
      Is it unreasonable to be upset about your car (likely) being out of alignment when you bought it as a CPO, and it shredded a set of tires because of that? No. Not really.
      Is it unreasonable to think you have any recourse after putting 10,000 miles on the tires in 6 months? Yes.

      Sorry to break it to you, but Dfrantz wasn't really being a dick. He was giving an honest response to the question you asked. If you sent that whole list of issues to Volvo corporate because the tires you bought on a CPO car only lasted 10,000 miles, it does make you look like a complainer. The first 12 points you brought up had absolutely nothing to do with your tire wear issue. You should have left them off.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    13. #11
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,111
      CPO does require 2 keys. That's really the only thing they did wrong. It has a minimum tread depth requirement, which sounds like was met. There is no requirement to align it prior to sale.

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      The dealers behavior has been unacceptable. If my review didn't make that clear I don't know how to convey it. His name calling does make him a dick.

      Again, if all that had happened during my experience was that the tires needed replacing, I'd just accept that. The entire cumulative experience just pisses me off enough to reach out to Volvo for help. They need to see the whole picture. The dealer was unprofessional and the points I shared describe that. I never went to anyone with that info seeking recourse until the tire issue.

      If a new car shredded tires inside 10k miles, what would the response be? Still shame the owner and circle jerk the dealer?

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      CPO does require 2 keys. That's really the only thing they did wrong. It has a minimum tread depth requirement, which sounds like was met. There is no requirement to align it prior to sale.
      Doesn't excuse the ****ty behavior of the dealer.

    16. #14
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,111
      Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      CPO does require 2 keys. That's really the only thing they did wrong. It has a minimum tread depth requirement, which sounds like was met. There is no requirement to align it prior to sale.
      Doesn't excuse the ****ty behavior of the dealer.
      No, it doesn't.

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      125
      Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
      Doesn't excuse the ****ty behavior of the dealer.
      I don't think anyone (Tech, in particular) is saying that the attitudes of those at the dealership were acceptable from a customer service standpoint. From a CPO perspective, I interpret Tech's comments to convey that they met the minimum requirements for CPO, other than the single key fob.

      You asked if you were being unreasonable; the previous commenters' opinions are that you were being unreasonable. You assumed that a Volvo dealership would live up to a luxury dealership perception which lulled you into a false sense that all would be up to standards buying a CPO vehicle without performing a more detailed walk-around, but this one fell short. Despite the issues, you went forward and fell prey to some high pressure tactics.

      What's done is done and sounds like there are many lessons to be learned here. I think a complaint to Volvo NA corporate is all well and good, and within your rights as a consumer/CPO Volvo owner. I'd continue to pester Volvo NA until you get to some sort of resolution - be it a goodwill reimbursement of some out-of-pocket costs, discount on service, or telling you to pound sand - but be prepared to suck up the cost at the end of the day.

      My Volvo dealership experience thus far has been positive (McGrath in Barrington, IL - nice new facility they have, also).
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

    18. #16
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,111
      Correct, I was speaking to the CPO requirements, as it seemed a major point of your post was that the car should not qualify for CPO.

    19. #17
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      464
      Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
      The dealers behavior has been unacceptable. If my review didn't make that clear I don't know how to convey it.
      You made it clear. But based on your description, it was clear before you completed the sale. You had the opportunity to walk away after they treated you poorly, but you went through with the deal. That was your choice. I would be more sympathetic if they tricked you, but you had several indicators they weren't being upfront from the beginning. It sounds like getting the deal done was more important to you than not transacting with a shady used car dealer.
      His name calling does make him a dick.
      Again, if all that had happened during my experience was that the tires needed replacing, I'd just accept that. The entire cumulative experience just pisses me off enough to reach out to Volvo for help. They need to see the whole picture. The dealer was unprofessional and the points I shared describe that. I never went to anyone with that info seeking recourse until the tire issue.
      I had a similar issue with Volvo USA and a Volvo dealer that cost me ~$500 in unneeded repairs that I complained about on here. Some people agreed with me, some didn't. In the end, all I got was the same rebate coupon you got. I was adamant that I shouldn't have had to pay for the worthless repair. Had someone called me a complainer, I wouldn't have called them a "dick." Calling someone a dick for calling you a complainer does make you seem unreasonable.
      If a new car shredded tires inside 10k miles, what would the response be? Still shame the owner and circle jerk the dealer?
      There are all kinds of possible responses, none of which apply to you since you didn't buy a new car. You bought a used car.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      644
      Gotta go with meade on this one. I think at the very least you should pm DFrantz an apology. It's obviously a stressful time for you but it's only compounded when you get antagonistic.

      On the subject of tires...yeah they may have gotten one over on you, but look at the silver lining. Now you get to choose some nice beefy attractive tires that you like. Not unlike moving into a house with a dated kitchen or bath needing new tile work, etc.

      You inherit a situation and live with it. If you can skimp a few months and drive it carefully you can probably start saving monthly, but drive it slow and take it easy as balding tires are subject to blowout.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Gotta go with meade on this one. I think at the very least you should pm DFrantz an apology. It's obviously a stressful time for you but it's only compounded when you get antagonistic.

      On the subject of tires...yeah they may have gotten one over on you, but look at the silver lining. Now you get to choose some nice beefy attractive tires that you like. Not unlike moving into a house with a dated kitchen or bath needing new tile work, etc.

      You inherit a situation and live with it. If you can skimp a few months and drive it carefully you can probably start saving monthly, but drive it slow and take it easy as balding tires are subject to blowout.
      I didn't start my post by slinging insults, they did. I'll apologize after they do.

      As for the vehicle, I've made 4 calls to the dealership regarding the key fob and getting a copy of the inspection report. My inspection report request was submitted but I haven't had a reply to 4 separate requests for a return call in 2 weeks. I assume they probably fudged the report, or misplaced the second fob.

    22. #20
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      125
      Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
      As for the vehicle, I've made 4 calls to the dealership regarding the key fob and getting a copy of the inspection report. My inspection report request was submitted but I haven't had a reply to 4 separate requests for a return call in 2 weeks. I assume they probably fudged the report, or misplaced the second fob.
      How has Volvo Car USA responded to your issues?
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      408
      Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
      His name calling does make him a dick.
      Thanks, that comment literally makes my day! Sometimes a little abuse is fun on the internet, but your logic calls yourself the same thing.

      I wasn't name calling though. I was letting you know the perspective. Pretty much everyone buys a car, so we get to deal with literally every personality type. Presumptions are gonna be made, just like the ones folks make about us when they first walk in! Knowing how you're going to be perceived is a big deal in business... I suppose it's one of the advantages of a sales person, everyone is gonna assume the same thing about us. But your review of the situation is more of a review on your experience, not the specific potentially legit concerns. But those concerns should have been brought up at the time of sale. The CPO paperwork would have shown two keys were there, and if not, should have been requested at time of sale (along with the paperwork). It also would show the tread depth. Having another dealer tell you what you want to hear doesn't make them a better dealer necessarily, it means they're better at playing to your personality, and they had the advantage that they could read all your hot points ahead of time. I could have given the same sort of response to enhance your confirmation bias... but I thought you were looking to understand the perspective based on your question of "am I being unreasonable?"

      That being said, not all CPO cars are the same. They meet the standard and that's all they need to do. Some dealers will spend more to get better cars, and generally sell them for more money. Car Gurus never does a great job of telling you why some cars are great deals and others are overpriced. It's a commodity market in many ways but not all the goods are the same quality and that includes customer experience at the dealer too.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      644
      While I understand you're complaining after the fact you drove out of there with balding tires, and they got one over on you, what good is it going to do airing out your dirty laundry in public ? If you're in the right and they missed the tires and the fob, shouldn't you have addressed those issues before you drove away with the car ?

      Now you're left with unreturned calls and a bad experience. Still not the end of the world, pick a good indy from your area and forget that dealer exists. Plenty of indys want work, and they charge less.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
      As for the vehicle, I've made 4 calls to the dealership regarding the key fob and getting a copy of the inspection report. My inspection report request was submitted but I haven't had a reply to 4 separate requests for a return call in 2 weeks. I assume they probably fudged the report, or misplaced the second fob.
      How has Volvo Car USA responded to your issues?
      They said they reached out several times but were unable to get the dealer to contact me and are asking me to try again. Honestly what the hell is the point of inspection requirements if the dealer can just ignore me and Volvo after the fact?

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      While I understand you're complaining after the fact you drove out of there with balding tires, and they got one over on you, what good is it going to do airing out your dirty laundry in public ? If you're in the right and they missed the tires and the fob, shouldn't you have addressed those issues before you drove away with the car ?

      Now you're left with unreturned calls and a bad experience. Still not the end of the world, pick a good indy from your area and forget that dealer exists. Plenty of indys want work, and they charge less.
      I drove out with 4 year old tires that hadn't been used(passed visual inspection and looked new) on a vehicle that was out of alignment in just the right way as to drive and coast in a straight line. Only indication something might be wrong was tire noise.

    27. #25
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,111
      Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      While I understand you're complaining after the fact you drove out of there with balding tires, and they got one over on you, what good is it going to do airing out your dirty laundry in public ? If you're in the right and they missed the tires and the fob, shouldn't you have addressed those issues before you drove away with the car ?

      Now you're left with unreturned calls and a bad experience. Still not the end of the world, pick a good indy from your area and forget that dealer exists. Plenty of indys want work, and they charge less.
      I drove out with 4 year old tires that hadn't been used(passed visual inspection and looked new) on a vehicle that was out of alignment in just the right way as to drive and coast in a straight line. Only indication something might be wrong was tire noise.
      Still not sure what the major gripe is here- the tires or the buying experience?

      You bought a 4 year old car with 4 year old tires. And the car drove straight and gave no indication of a problem so why should it have been aligned during the CPO inspection?

    28. #26
      Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
      Given the date code, it appears they are from the original manufacture year of the car, so they could be the originals and the original owner didn't use them. Our V60 CPO came with brand new Continental DWS Extreme Contact tires.

      I understand the position the dealer is in, and the time that's elapsed. The alignment would have had to be WAY out in a short period to cause the wear, or out all around a good amount over a long time. The service manager that did the alignment agreed, but since they didn't remove the tires(I'd already swapped my winters on), they wouldn't support any speculation.

      I'd totally be down to swallow this, but if you read the entire fiasco we went through in my review, you may understand my level of frustration with the dealer and expectation that someone provide some level of positive customer service beyond a $45 service credit(what Volvo cust. Care is offering). I posted a review months ago, thought we were through and now I'm looking at replacing 4 tires for around $900. Add the alignment and we're over $1k in 7 months of ownership for a CPO vehicle with less than 40k miles when we picked it up. I could have done a full brake job for less than that.
      Look, I'm the first one to champion for the customer, but you're in a very unfavorable situation:

      1. When buying a used car, you have the obligation to utilize due diligence. I mean, not to sound snide, but "taking the dealer's word" is never a good idea. You should have inspected the car carefully before purchase.

      2. Again, it's highly likely the alignment was off, but 6 months have elapsed. For all the dealer knows, you've been drag racing on pot holed roads. See above.

      3. Get the CPO report. I think you're owed that much. See if the dealer did actually did a thorough inspection. But when it comes to tires, I don't think you're going to have much success.

      4. I'd say you're owed a 2nd key. A legitimate oversight.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-08-2020 at 12:30 AM.

    29. #27
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      You made it clear. But based on your description, it was clear before you completed the sale. You had the opportunity to walk away after they treated you poorly, but you went through with the deal. That was your choice. I would be more sympathetic if they tricked you, but you had several indicators they weren't being upfront from the beginning. It sounds like getting the deal done was more important to you than not transacting with a shady used car dealer.I had a similar issue with Volvo USA and a Volvo dealer that cost me ~$500 in unneeded repairs that I complained about on here. Some people agreed with me, some didn't. In the end, all I got was the same rebate coupon you got. I was adamant that I shouldn't have had to pay for the worthless repair. Had someone called me a complainer, I wouldn't have called them a "dick." Calling someone a dick for calling you a complainer does make you seem unreasonable.
      There are all kinds of possible responses, none of which apply to you since you didn't buy a new car. You bought a used car.
      I think the bigger issue is that OP traveled to get vehicle, and feels put off by the dealer. Which would have been a good reason to turn around, and high tale it back home. But OP said he got a killer deal. So my thoughts would be, take the "savings" from the killer deal and use it to bring the car to spec. If the deal was too good to pass, there should be wiggle room for new tires and a few odds and ends.

    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Still not sure what the major gripe is here- the tires or the buying experience?

      You bought a 4 year old car with 4 year old tires. And the car drove straight and gave no indication of a problem so why should it have been aligned during the CPO inspection?
      The tires measured nearly new depth, looked even at time of sale. I did not think I had to check the date code. I have never experienced this kind of abnormal wear on tires with a vehicle that drove straight. It obviously wasn't driven the 39k miles on the odometer with these tires. I'll know now to look at the date code. I also now have the CPO inspection checklist. I also now know even though there are specific CPO inspection guidelines, some have their own standards as was the dealership in NH telling me they'd never have sold a CPO vehicle with 4 year old tires. The entire experience, tires and lack of key being icing on top, is the gripe. Now the GM wont return calls from me, or at the request of Volvo USA.


      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      3. Get the CPO report. I think you're owed that much. See if the dealer did actually did a thorough inspection. But when it comes to tires, I don't think you're going to have much success.

      4. I'd say you're owed a 2nd key. A legitimate oversight.
      Still haven't seen the report, made the request for it from the service manager around the time of my first post.

      After umpteen calls, was forwarded finally to a Sales Manager as the GM won't return my calls. Sales Manager tells me that the vehicle came in and left with two keys as per his notes on the car. So either they fudged that or failed to give us one and since we weren't offered nor did we know we are within our rights(or should) to ask for the CPO report, we had no idea CPO vehicles are required to have 2 keys. So they're denying any assistance on the issue.
      Last edited by ryboto; 01-08-2020 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add quote reply

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      You made it clear. But based on your description, it was clear before you completed the sale. You had the opportunity to walk away after they treated you poorly, but you went through with the deal. That was your choice. I would be more sympathetic if they tricked you, but you had several indicators they weren't being upfront from the beginning. It sounds like getting the deal done was more important to you than not transacting with a shady used car dealer.I had a similar issue with Volvo USA and a Volvo dealer that cost me ~$500 in unneeded repairs that I complained about on here. Some people agreed with me, some didn't. In the end, all I got was the same rebate coupon you got. I was adamant that I shouldn't have had to pay for the worthless repair. Had someone called me a complainer, I wouldn't have called them a "dick." Calling someone a dick for calling you a complainer does make you seem unreasonable.
      There are all kinds of possible responses, none of which apply to you since you didn't buy a new car. You bought a used car.
      I think the bigger issue is that OP traveled to get vehicle, and feels put off by the dealer. Which would have been a good reason to turn around, and high tale it back home. But OP said he got a killer deal. So my thoughts would be, take the "savings" from the killer deal and use it to bring the car to spec. If the deal was too good to pass, there should be wiggle room for new tires and a few odds and ends.
      I am being put off. Sales Manager just told me his notes say the vehicle left with 2 keys. Told there's nothing he can do to remedy the situation. The GM still hasn't returned any calls to me after Volvo USA contacted the dealer more than once over the past few weeks to request they reach out to me.
      Last edited by ryboto; 01-08-2020 at 09:29 AM.

    32. #30
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,111
      Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Still not sure what the major gripe is here- the tires or the buying experience?

      You bought a 4 year old car with 4 year old tires. And the car drove straight and gave no indication of a problem so why should it have been aligned during the CPO inspection?
      The tires measured nearly new depth, looked even at time of sale. I did not think I had to check the date code. I have never experienced this kind of abnormal wear on tires with a vehicle that drove straight. It obviously wasn't driven the 39k miles on the odometer with these tires. I'll know now to look at the date code. I also now have the CPO inspection checklist. I also now know even though there are specific CPO inspection guidelines, some have their own standards as was the dealership in NH telling me they'd never have sold a CPO vehicle with 4 year old tires. The entire experience, tires and lack of key being icing on top, is the gripe. Now the GM wont return calls from me, or at the request of Volvo USA.


      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      3. Get the CPO report. I think you're owed that much. See if the dealer did actually did a thorough inspection. But when it comes to tires, I don't think you're going to have much success.

      4. I'd say you're owed a 2nd key. A legitimate oversight.
      Still haven't seen the report, made the request for it from the service manager around the time of my first post.

      After umpteen calls, was forwarded finally to a Sales Manager as the GM won't return my calls. Sales Manager tells me that the vehicle came in and left with two keys as per his notes on the car. So either they fudged that or failed to give us one and since we weren't offered nor did we know we are within our rights(or should) to ask for the CPO report, we had no idea CPO vehicles are required to have 2 keys. So they're denying any assistance on the issue.
      The CPO inspection is the same at all dealers. The date code does not matter. The tread was fine and it drove straight (you said so yourself). You've driven it since then and anything could have happened.

      Of course when you mention the scenario to another dealer, they are going to tell you what you want to hear "We would never sell a car like that here!". That doesn't mean anything.

      You are being overly dramatic about the tires, I'd say. They aren't bald. They seem to show pretty normal wear for the miles. Now you have to replace them. Like tires on any car.

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      The CPO inspection is the same at all dealers. The date code does not matter. The tread was fine and it drove straight (you said so yourself). You've driven it since then and anything could have happened.

      Of course when you mention the scenario to another dealer, they are going to tell you what you want to hear "We would never sell a car like that here!". That doesn't mean anything.

      You are being overly dramatic about the tires, I'd say. They aren't bald. They seem to show pretty normal wear for the miles. Now you have to replace them. Like tires on any car.
      The dealer in NH was the one who asked about date code. I didn't bring it up, it was brought up to me. I didn't even check, the service manager did when i brought the vehicle in for alignment and it was he who told me it would have never driven off their lot with those tires. He told me this unprompted.

      If normal wear, to you, is completely uneven wear across the tire, sure. There's zero depth on the inside edge of one tire, while there's plenty of dept at the center and on the outside edge. How is that normal? These tires left the dealer with reportedly uniform(and uniform by my eyes) tread wear and close to new tread depth measurements, not depth that matched the 39k miles on the odometer.

      I accept I have to buy a new set. Still, I bring up a legitimate annoyance, the 1-key thing to the dealer and they tell me to piss off because their records show it was sold with two and I'm still a complainer. I've literally gotten nothing from the dealer but disrespect since the purchase.

    34. #32
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,111
      Those particular tires don't tend to wear very evenly. But they do look fairly normal given the mileage on them.

      The key thing is legitimate but unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prove anything since time has elapsed. And the sales experience is unfortunate but that of course varies. Some sales people are nice and others are greasy liars.

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      53
      Sounds like they would have battled me either way about the key. Their documentation says they gave it to us. A lie, but that's the position they'd take. My original position stays, avoid this dealership unless management changes.

      edit: my wife just reminded me that she actually did ask the finance manager if there were two keys and he told us there was only one. Still our word against theirs and they could care less about their image.
      Last edited by ryboto; 01-08-2020 at 10:25 AM.

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Posts
      54
      Take it as a lesson learned. I once had a terrible experience at a Ford dealership in Miami back in 2005. The dealership was horrible and was actually set on fire but a disgruntled customer about 6 months after I bought my car there.
      Anyway there were things I could have done better too. I could have asked better questions, looked the car over more carefully, etc. So ever since then I look over every car I purchase with a fine toothed comb. Heck, I crawled under the V60 I recently purchased on the dealer lot and looked it over for about 45 minutes before even test driving it. I also asked to see both keys in person, the owners manual, Carfax, all interior carpets, etc. before even going on a test drive.
      I also demand to see everything again in person before I sign any paperwork or if they have to order a new key (which was the case on my wife's used XC70) I make them order it right then an there and give me the paperwork before I sign anything. You signing the contract is what they want so unless you get everything you want don't give them what they want (your signature).

    37. #35
      Quote Originally Posted by FAUGrad View Post
      Take it as a lesson learned. I once had a terrible experience at a Ford dealership in Miami back in 2005. The dealership was horrible and was actually set on fire but a disgruntled customer about 6 months after I bought my car there.
      Anyway there were things I could have done better too. I could have asked better questions, looked the car over more carefully, etc. So ever since then I look over every car I purchase with a fine toothed comb. Heck, I crawled under the V60 I recently purchased on the dealer lot and looked it over for about 45 minutes before even test driving it. I also asked to see both keys in person, the owners manual, Carfax, all interior carpets, etc. before even going on a test drive.
      I also demand to see everything again in person before I sign any paperwork or if they have to order a new key (which was the case on my wife's used XC70) I make them order it right then an there and give me the paperwork before I sign anything. You signing the contract is what they want so unless you get everything you want don't give them what they want (your signature).
      Exactly. A sale is a sale and promises made verbally are useless, unless you've recorded the whole conversation. And even then, it might still be a fight. Best solution, READ over the contract carefully, and have ANY CHANGES PUT IN WRITING before signing the contract. Then get a copy of that modified contract you signed!

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Am I being unreasonable? Bumper fit.
      By partridge in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: 08-07-2017, 12:13 AM
    2. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 09-18-2015, 10:32 AM
    3. "Swedish Beauty Contest", Sunday 9/25, Simsbury, Ct.
      By SOOBAD in forum Events and Gatherings
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 06-02-2012, 05:44 AM
    4. CT/MA/RI MEET, Sunday November 7, Simsbury Ct.
      By SOOBAD in forum North East Regional
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 11-12-2010, 04:58 PM
    5. Am I being unreasonable ?
      By petert in forum Overseas Delivery Forum
      Replies: 28
      Last Post: 05-17-2007, 09:38 PM