Gas pedal during WOT
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Gas pedal during WOT

I have a 2019 S60 T6 - R Design with P* option.

I was perfecting my driving position and by doing so, I had to get the distance of my feet to allow to quicky and comfortably be ready to go WOT at anytime. I don't want to feel like I'm reaching if I want to put the gas pedal to the floor.

In doing so, I noticed the gas pedal do something funny and want to know if it's just me. When I put the gas pedal to the floor, I feel a resistance when it's almost all the way down as if that's as far as it goes but when I tried it again with a little more force, that resistance is almost like a "step" and you get the pedal to go just a tad bit further.

Does anybody else get that feeling? I ask that you guys try this at a standstill while the car is on, in Park. Just quickly put the pedal down and put a little more force than normal and you'll feel a resistance towards that bottom but still a little more room left after that.

Just trying to see if it's me.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is a switch under the gas pedal. If you press it all the way down without activating the switch, the transmission will not downshift right away. If the switch is pressed, that signals the transmission to downshift right away

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Text View Post

In doing so, I noticed the gas pedal do something funny and want to know if it's just me. When I put the gas pedal to the floor, I feel a resistance when it's almost all the way down as if that's as far as it goes but when I tried it again with a little more force, that resistance is almost like a "step" and you get the pedal to go just a tad bit further.
      That's most likely the kickdown switch.

From Cars.com:
      https://www.cars.com/articles/what-d...1420690417731/)

"Q: What does kickdown mean in an automatic transmission?

A: Kickdown is a downshift in an automatic transmission triggered when the driver pushes the car’s accelerator to the floor."

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Also in some cars it cuts off the airconditioner for maximum powah!!! Not sure if the volvos do or not, probably do.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Also in some cars it cuts off the airconditioner for maximum powah!!! Not sure if the volvos do or not, probably do.
      Name one car that this happens? Very curious, just one please want to learn something new today.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      Name one car that this happens? Very curious, just one please want to learn something new today.
      I'd venture to say most modern cars do it these days. All mazdas do. Subarus do. Toyotas do, Porsches do. list goes on. Some cars are more advanced and use engine load vs engine temperature to make the decision instead of just WOT though.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/columns/m...k-a57-20180316

Most modern car air-con compressors have a high-pressure automatic cut-off switch that disengages the compressor at wide open throttle (WOT)
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

I'm surprised in this day of electronic pedal and throttle plates there is kickdown switch! It's absolutely not needed but maybe there is a bit of driving control they are affording the driver. Kickdown switches date back to the days when trans were hydraulic control with mechanical governers.

I did have an old Pontiac sunbird with WOT A/C cut out, 92hp it needed all the help it could get to merge on the highway. This is very common on police cars, used to be an actual electric switch of course all done with computers now. My SRT4 did this too. Many cars have this feature it's not typically something advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      I'm surprised in this day of electronic pedal and throttle plates there is kickdown switch! It's absolutely not needed but maybe there is a bit of driving control they are affording the driver. Kickdown switches date back to the days when trans were hydraulic control with mechanical governers.

I did have an old Pontiac sunbird with WOT A/C cut out, 92hp it needed all the help it could get to merge on the highway. This is very common on police cars, used to be an actual electric switch of course all done with computers now. My SRT4 did this too. Many cars have this feature it's not typically something advertised.

I guess I was not clear a current modern car.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

I guess I was not clear a current modern car.
      How bout a 2019 911? Directly from the porsche manual.

"The cooling function can switch off briefly to ensure sufficient engine cooling when the engine is operating under extreme load."

Lots of cars still do it if not most, they just don't advertise it
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      How bout a 2019 911? Directly from the porsche manual.

"The cooling function can switch off briefly to ensure sufficient engine cooling when the engine is operating under extreme load."

Lots of cars still do it if not most, they just don't advertise it
      That’s almost every car and not related to WOT but engine load, it could also cut off when low battery, low rpm, temperature difference to low to high with ambient or even like fords you use voice control...

My question is.

What modern car has a switch behind a gas paddle that turns off ac?

Sorry did not think I had to spell it out
      Last edited by Kamil; 12-09-2019 at 08:14 PM.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Those anyone has access to a service manual to find the part and identify it purpose instead of guessing?
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

What modern car has a switch behind a gas paddle that turns off ac?
      Well I guess you defined the question, and as such that is unlikely. The state of modern electronic controls are such that a "switch" is not required. It can all be done in software when the throttle pedal input is electronic, the throttle plate and A/C compressor are controlled by software, there would simply be no purpose for an electro-mechanical WOT switch.

This morning I put the pedal to the metal and it kicked down a gear but that's what it would normally do even if I didn't go WOT. If I put some more gas than normal (not WOT, more than half throttle) it still kicks down a gear I don't see a reason for that extra step at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Well I guess you defined the question, and as such that is unlikely. The state of modern electronic controls are such that a "switch" is not required. It can all be done in software when the throttle pedal input is electronic, the throttle plate and A/C compressor are controlled by software, there would simply be no purpose for an electro-mechanical WOT switch.
      And this is exactly what the thread is about right? Accelerator action and travel and the kick down or other switch that the op wants to know if this is normal and or what is it why is it

Just trying to get this back on track and not compering a 2020 Volvo to a old Pontiac
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Rather than arguing about nonsense, spend 2 minutes searching in your Volvo manual. Page 426-kickdown function

Ragnarok

The feel is still there for your benefit, not the cars. It's so you can comfortably go full throttle, but if you really need it, you can effectively be Veruca Salt and "want it now" and know where that limit is.

Unless you have Polestar tune, the Aisin AWF8F35/TG-81SC 8-speed transmission takes about a second to downshift. The kickdown switch is to trigger the downshift faster

Last edited by visualv; 12-10-2019 at 12:58 PM.
      Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      Unless you have Polestar tune, the Aisin AWF8F35/TG-81SC 8-speed transmission takes about a second to downshift. The kickdown switch is to trigger the downshift faster

Thank you!!!!!

Love it when we got subject matter experts in the room.

Maybe you can tell as I ordered my V60 CC with the tune is it only ECM or also TCM?
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      Rather than arguing about nonsense, spend 2 minutes searching in your Volvo manual. Page 426-kickdown function

Thank you!

You sir are a wise man!!
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements